Are old movies much more mortal then newer movies?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ADarksideJedi
I watch alot of old black and white movies and they have no cusing or bathroom jokes and are very funny.Not all newer movies have stuff in it and are pretty good.
BUt to me black and white movies had alot more meaning to them and more mortals then newer ones.Anyone want to comment over this?jm

Magee
I would like to but theres that problem of not having a clue about what you just said... All movies have a meaning/plot to them as for older movies having more mortals, I really don't know what that means.

botankus
I'll talk about the "mortality" of the classics. My answer? They're very much just as mortal as the rest of us. But since you misspelled your subject title, I will ignore your point and address another thing about the classics.

Today's viewers can get frustrated with older movies because many of the things that those older movies introduced are used repeatedly and worn-thin by today's uncreative filmmakers. Arsenic and Old Lace and The Apartment are two of my faves of all time, but today's vieweres probably wouldn't think so because the plot is predictable because today's filmmakers have overused the blueprint, which was set way back when.

Arsenic and Old Lace and The Apartment. Check them out if you haven't.

smoker4
Is this a question about Highlander? Did you mean Morals? Is it safe?

MildPossession
The Apartment is fantastic.

2D_MASTER
I think she means "morals", she has problems.......

dave_kodak
ITs a matter of Opinion.

Wolfie
Originally posted by 2D_MASTER
I think she means "morals", she has problems.......
Oh, I thought she was talking about the mortality of films. Like, if people will still watch or remember old classic B&W films over today's flicks.

"She has problems..." that's not nice.

Solo
Actually, I would agree that older films are a lot more morally driven than most of modern cinema.

BackFire
Morals are for cowards.

ADarksideJedi
Originally posted by botankus
I'll talk about the "mortality" of the classics. My answer? They're very much just as mortal as the rest of us. But since you misspelled your subject title, I will ignore your point and address another thing about the classics.

Today's viewers can get frustrated with older movies because many of the things that those older movies introduced are used repeatedly and worn-thin by today's uncreative filmmakers. Arsenic and Old Lace and The Apartment are two of my faves of all time, but today's vieweres probably wouldn't think so because the plot is predictable because today's filmmakers have overused the blueprint, which was set way back when.

Arsenic and Old Lace and The Apartment. Check them out if you haven't.

Strike two my good friend."Arsenic and Old Lace" is a good movie.Older movies have alot of stuff in it that makes it good.Good meaning good plot no sex parts or cussing.
THat is why it is good to watch it.While most older movies have nothing good in it these days.That is what I am trying to say.jm smile

Mr. Sandman
Some things never change.

ADarksideJedi
Yes either does your siggy!jm

2D_MASTER
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
Yes either does your siggy!jm

Well he does have an awesome sig... why change it?

ADarksideJedi
He had it for some time now.I thought you were not allowed to have nude siggys?jm

Bardock42
Strike two my good friend."Arsenic and Old Lace" is a good movie.Older movies have alot of stuff in it that makes it good.Good meaning good plot no sex parts or cussing.
THat is why it is good to watch it.While most older movies have nothing good in it these days.That is what I am trying to say.jm smile

Though sex parts and cussing can be good too.

SnakeEyes
I watch alot of old black and white movies and they have no cusing or bathroom jokes and are very funny.Not all newer movies have stuff in it and are pretty good.
BUt to me black and white movies had alot more meaning to them and more mortals then newer ones.Anyone want to comment over this?jm

MAKE SENSE.

Solo
You pick on the only paragraph she's written that makes sense, nice.

SnakeEyes
Meh, you can pretty much pick ANY of her sentences and say "Make sense" and have it apply.

I mean, with the one I picked, you can decipher the meaning, but I'd still say that my term applies. I was too lazy to search through all of her bullshit posts and find one that would work best.

Solo
word n shit

ADarksideJedi
THey pick on anything I say.jm

botankus
Strike two my good friend."Arsenic and Old Lace" is a good movie.
How do I get a strike for that? And when was strike one?

ADarksideJedi
Another time.If you do'nt want to get off my friend list.Do'nt insult me.Fair enough.jm

SnakeEyes
Do'nt

laughing out loud

ADarksideJedi
Well you know what I am saying Snake!jm

apoc001
If you're talking about morals, the answer is that morals have changed for society on a large scale. Now, it's much more acceptable to have premarital sex and to base an entire relationship on it. In the times of the old movies, these activities would be seen as just plain foolish, and the person doing these things would have been scorned. For example, compare the two Wicker Man movies. Personally though, I consider the old morals much more respectable than the new ones.

exanda kane
It's a question of whether we want to kid ourselves that the world we live in is all rosey and sunny or not, isn't it though?

Pleasentville is a pretty comparison point/

ADarksideJedi
I hate that movie.We don't live in that sort of world.But that does not mean movies can't.Movies that have no cussing in it or sexs are good movies.
For fans to li ke movies we don't need those sort of things in it.Look at star wars or Pirates?(Not including the last one)those are huge movies that have nothing in them and yet no movie directors seen to get the hit.JM

exanda kane
I hate that movie.

Irrespective of whether you hate it or not, it's a good comparison between the old nuclear family values oft presented in film and real life. While it might not show drugs or sex and other vices which you seem to be referring to, it really does show the limitations of those old traditional movies.

It all depends on whether you want realism or escapism, or a mixture of both. Cinema in my opinion, can be much more than entertainment, and if that's explored then I have absolutedly no problem with it. If we didn't have social critique then quite frankly, we'd be f**ked, sorry to swear but the sentence warrants it.

On the other hand, most of this gormo crap, most of Eli Roth's output, is just distasteful to me.

ADarksideJedi
Most of the movies now adays are.No pro mblem I can understand why you curse.jm

LostDoctor
There's such a change these days from the old days in tv, do you think TV films are too intence?
Is that bad for you?

Yuna_And_Tidus
Wrong forum.
That's bad for me.

C. C. Cowgirl
Originally posted by Yuna_And_Tidus
Wrong forum.
That's bad for me.

Not necessarily stick out tongue

Originally posted by LostDoctor
There's such a change these days from the old days in tv, do you think TV films are too intence?
Is that bad for you?

I unfortunatly do not understand the question and therefore answers: Yes! big grin

Yuna_And_Tidus
Originally posted by C. C. Cowgirl
Not necessarily stick out tongue

I unfortunatly do not understand the question and therefore answers: Yes! big grin
schmoll

C. C. Cowgirl
hug

C. C. Cowgirl
Have a look at that happy

Arianna
I don't think it's the films/shows that don't have morals it's the characters. I think that just reflects society making the characters realistic, like "The Hole" Frankie and Liz had like no morals while the guy with the dark hair *forgets name* had a few more.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.