U.S. Supreme Court rules against student free speech

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Strangelove
Morse v. Frederick. It was a 5-4 decision, which is becoming characteristic of this court (so much for consensus, huh, Roberts?). If any of you guys remember the Alaska student that was suspended from school in 2002 for holding up a sign that read "Bong Hits 4 Jesus" while the Olympic torch was passing through...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b4/Bh4j.jpg

Well the Supreme Court ruled in favor of the school board (after the 9th District Court of Appeals ruled unanimously in favor of the student, no less), stating that even though the incident occurred outside of the school, it was a school-sponsored event and therefore qualified as school speech, and since it "promoted" the use of illegal drugs, it was not constitutionally protected speech.

Clarence Thomas wrote a dangerous concurring opinion that students had no free speech whatsoever. How did he get to the Supreme Court, exactly?

Can't wait until 2009...maybe Scalia will die and we'll get a Justice who actually respects the Constitution.

Washington Post article:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/25/AR2007062500537.html

Naz
I saw it on either the Daily Show or The Colbert Report the other day. srug I don't really have an opinion on it.

Mr. Sandman
Students have no free speech? I wonder who molested him as a child and told him to STFU about it.

Fishy
US laws rock, oh no wait they don't.

What a stupid court.

inimalist
wow

both surprising and disturbing...

xmarksthespot
Originally posted by Strangelove
Clarence Thomas wrote a dangerous concurring opinion that students had no free speech whatsoever. How did he get to the Supreme Court, exactly? Affirmative action in a way... doped while being opposed to it.

Ironic... n'est-ce pas?

inimalist
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
n'est-ce pas?

what does the 'ce' mean?

FeceMan
Morse v. Frederick. It was a 5-4 decision, which is becoming characteristic of this court (so much for consensus, huh, Roberts?). If any of you guys remember the Alaska student that was suspended from school in 2002 for holding up a sign that read "Bong Hits 4 Jesus" while the Olympic torch was passing through...

Well the Supreme Court ruled in favor of the school board (after the 9th District Court of Appeals ruled unanimously in favor of the student, no less), stating that even though the incident occurred outside of the school, it was a school-sponsored event and therefore qualified as school speech, and since it "promoted" the use of illegal drugs, it was not constitutionally protected speech.

Clarence Thomas wrote a dangerous concurring opinion that students had no free speech whatsoever. How did he get to the Supreme Court, exactly?

Can't wait until 2009...maybe Scalia will die and we'll get a Justice who actually respects the Constitution.

Washington Post article:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/25/AR2007062500537.html
Illegal drug use FTW.

JacopeX
These teens and drugs now days.

Pathetic.....

Robtard
Originally posted by JacopeX
These teens and drugs now days.

Pathetic.....

Hint: It isn't anything knew.

Believe it or not, drugs have been around for a long time; "teens" have been doing them for a long time.

ragesRemorse
well considering that universities brainwash, banning free speech isnt that surprising

dadudemon
Originally posted by Robtard

Believe it or not, drugs have been around for a long time; "teens" have been doing them for a long time.

I think JacopeX was joking.

Students should not have a perfect freedom of speech. Getting an education is a privilage.

Teachers get paid shit already...they don't deserve verbal abuse, crude language, etc. Other than that, students should be able to say whatever the hell they want because that's what it is like in the real world...except at your job.

xmarksthespot
Originally posted by inimalist
what does the 'ce' mean? it/that/this but in different situations to "il/elle est."

JacopeX
Originally posted by Robtard

Believe it or not, drugs have been around for a long time; "teens" have been doing them for a long time. No shit.

Originally posted by dadudemon

Students should not have a perfect freedom of speech. Getting an education is a privilage.

Teachers get paid shit already...they don't deserve verbal abuse, crude language, etc. Other than that, students should be able to say whatever the hell they want because that's what it is like in the real world...except at your job. Todays youth in my opinion needs a slap in the back of the head so they can think straight about being more respectful to the adults and to themselves. I am 15 and I see alot of these type of things happen in my other school but this is by far the worst type of protest I seen. The reason why is because the protest is to give them the right to do drugs and have the teachers to screw off. Irrelevant? In many aspects, yes. But are they going to listen? that I can't answer but the american educational system is doing terrible at the moment. I mean, why are there students dropping out of school? Not trying to say one country is inferior to the other, but why would a country that have poor economy and low standards in many parts have students that are willing to learn more than the AVERAGE student? The children are given too much.

Anyways, I think banning freedom of speech among students because of such an incident like this would be a whole new low.

ADarksideJedi
Moving to another country maybe good.I am getting sick of losing our freedom of speech here in the states.jm

JacopeX
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
Moving to another country maybe good.I am getting sick of losing our freedom of speech here in the states.jm Where else do they have non-contradicting freedom of speech laws in the world? roll eyes (sarcastic)

JesusTheChrist
Moving to another country maybe good.I am getting sick of losing our freedom of speech here in the states.jm

Go ahead. People need to stop bitching how America sucks when they're living here.

KidRock

Yeah..we really don't want you here anyway.

Those kids also look like ****in morons, "Bong hits for jesus". Someone needs to beat them and tell them to get a job.

Alliance

Washington Post article:

Republicans...lol. OMG THE COURTS ARE BASTIONS OF LIBRAL BIAS SO WE STOCK THEM LIKE PONDS ROFLFLFLFL

FeceMan
I'm all for that. You moving, that is.

Strangelove
Originally posted by dadudemon

Teachers get paid shit already...they don't deserve verbal abuse, crude language, etc. Other than that, students should be able to say whatever the hell they want because that's what it is like in the real world...except at your job. There was no crude language. It was a nonsense phrase written on a banner that wasn't even on school property.

Alliance
Indeed.

dadudemon
There was no crude language. It was a nonsense phrase written on a banner that wasn't even on school property.

I was in now way shape or form referring to the students in the picture. I was referring to "freedom of speach" for students in american schools.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.