Smurf's Civil War/Marvel Rant...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SpunkySmurph
Fair enough, at first I had mixed feelings about Civil War, but that was when it was first coming out and I wasn't following it too closely. Since then I've had a chance to sit down, read the whole story/arc from front to back, form an opinion, and feel a little more knowledgeable about the whole situation. Then I come back on KMC, and all I hear is nameless peoples continue to b*tch about Civil War, Tony Stark, and Marvel in general.

Look at the concept of Civil War: Registering people with powers to level city blocks, and then some, with the government, to stave off the threat of cataclysmic destruction at the hands of some pre-teen walking nuke who decided it would be cool to be a vigilante like his favourite heroes that he sees on the news.

If the world of comics had any sense of realism, this would have happened ages ago. Do you really think modern day society would allow somebody who could lift freight trains to NOT be held personally accountable for their actions after even the first incident of damage to a person or their property? Much less all the other ensuing damage caused by battles with Spider-Man, Iron Man and Captain America?

Comics are not Saturday Morning Cartoon Specials. Pain is caused, building are damaged, and people die. If comics were anything like modern reality, then the moment a child was caused personal and permanent damage by the side effects of a battle with Dr. Doom, anybody in a cape and mask, hero or villain, would be crucified by the media and the public.

With the exclusion of Clor, Tony Stark did nothing wrong. And the Clor incident seemed clearly a ploy to me to make out Stark to be evil. Honestly, it's imbecilic to think that allowing the Government to keep tabs on walking warheads is anything other then common sense.

Too many people don't realize the whole basis for Civil War was the natural and long overdue evolution of the fictional superhuman society, that fact eclipsed to all the bleeding hearts out there because Cap died. I say, let them bleed. And, if you can tell me where that reference is from, I'll be grateful, because the quote is running through my head and it's bothering me that I don't know the source.

grey fox
Uhhh Smurf, most of us aren't bitching about the actual registration act (on the contrary, I agree with you 100%). We were bitching about how shoddily made the story was and how it was blatantly obvious that Marvel were making the post-regs the 'villains'.

SpunkySmurph
Originally posted by grey fox
Uhhh Smurf, most of us aren't bitching about the actual registration act (on the contrary, I agree with you 100%). We were bitching about how shoddily made the story was and how it was blatantly obvious that Marvel were making the post-regs the 'villains'. Oh, I don't care.

I just think the way comics are run is dumb... and it was more geared at a couple individuals. Plus, it's been a long week. I felt like ranting about something before Digi comes and makes some comment about this not needing its own thread before closing it.

It's half the bitching about Marvel that pisses me off, and half the premise of the arc.

I didn't mind the art, the writing, or how things were put together.

grey fox
Originally posted by SpunkySmurph
Oh, I don't care.

I just think the way comics are run is dumb... and it was more geared at a couple individuals. Plus, it's been a long week. I felt like ranting about something before Digi comes and makes some comment about this not needing its own thread before closing it.

Hard week ?

Jebus reborn
Tony Stark's awesome, the story blew coco nuts, and can I make my own rant about Civil War?
Even though though there are like 10 Civil War threads?

Ya, I went there...

SpunkySmurph
Originally posted by grey fox
Hard week ? Not so much hard, as tiring.

I haven't been on KMC in a while, so I felt like typing. A lot.

SpunkySmurph
Originally posted by Jebus reborn
Tony Stark's awesome, the story blew coco nuts, and can I make my own rant about Civil War?
Even though though there are like 10 Civil War threads?

Ya, I went there... Yes, you can.

Digi might not like it, me, or you, but I think you could.

Jebus reborn
Yes, you can.

Digi might not like it, me, or you, but I think you could. Too much work...

Supreme Smurph
Fair enough, at first I had mixed feelings about Civil War, but that was when it was first coming out and I wasn't following it too closely. Since then I've had a chance to sit down, read the whole story/arc from front to back, form an opinion, and feel a little more knowledgeable about the whole situation. Then I come back on KMC, and all I hear is nameless peoples continue to b*tch about Civil War, Tony Stark, and Marvel in general.

Look at the concept of Civil War: Registering people with powers to level city blocks, and then some, with the government, to stave off the threat of cataclysmic destruction at the hands of some pre-teen walking nuke who decided it would be cool to be a vigilante like his favourite heroes that he sees on the news.

If the world of comics had any sense of realism, this would have happened ages ago. Do you really think modern day society would allow somebody who could lift freight trains to NOT be held personally accountable for their actions after even the first incident of damage to a person or their property? Much less all the other ensuing damage caused by battles with Spider-Man, Iron Man and Captain America?

Comics are not Saturday Morning Cartoon Specials. Pain is caused, building are damaged, and people die. If comics were anything like modern reality, then the moment a child was caused personal and permanent damage by the side effects of a battle with Dr. Doom, anybody in a cape and mask, hero or villain, would be crucified by the media and the public.

With the exclusion of Clor, Tony Stark did nothing wrong. And the Clor incident seemed clearly a ploy to me to make out Stark to be evil. Honestly, it's imbecilic to think that allowing the Government to keep tabs on walking warheads is anything other then common sense.

Too many people don't realize the whole basis for Civil War was the natural and long overdue evolution of the fictional superhuman society, that fact eclipsed to all the bleeding hearts out there because Cap died. I say, let them bleed. And, if you can tell me where that reference is from, I'll be grateful, because the quote is running through my head and it's bothering me that I don't know the source.

But how far does one take a Registration before they turn into Nazi's? Each person having powers should take responsibility for what their actions do. Why does one have to expose themselves and their families to do so?

SpunkySmurph
Originally posted by Jebus reborn
Too much work... Make it three lines:

Tony Stark rocks.

The Story sucks.

Trickster's gonna make some "DC>Marvel" statement.

You can't go wrong.

SpunkySmurph
Originally posted by Supreme Smurph
But how far does one take a Registration before they turn into Nazi's? Each person having powers should take responsibility for what their actions do. Why does one have to expose themselves and their families to do so? Having SHIELD know such information privately seems like a smart idea... exposing yourself publicly is asinine.

Martian_mind
Sock FTW?

TricksterPriest
But how far does one take a Registration before they turn into Nazi's? Each person having powers should take responsibility for what their actions do. Why does one have to expose themselves and their families to do so?

Here in lies one of the problems and reasons why SRA doesn't work. Why should the information be public at all? confused Why not let only the government, or a select few people know the secret identities. Otherwise, you're just letting villains know who to kidnap/torture/mutate/kill to hurt the heroes most. no

Well, this hasn't happened in Canada yet. They have their own registration act. So either theirs isn't public, or no nobody cares enough about Canada or Alpha Flight enough to attack them. stick out tongue

And dur you, Smurf. dur I could respond to that with how DC handled this situation in the 50s (comic-time).

Btw, Stark did other reprehensible things besides Clor. The Negative Zone prison, the exile of the Hulk, the persecution of superheroes for doing their job, and possibly aiding skrull efforts to take over Marvel Earth. haermm

That last one would be funny if I was kidding....... durlaugh

SpunkySmurph
Originally posted by Martian_mind
Sock FTW? Second one to sock as my dark side.

I'm quite popular.

Martian_mind
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
Here in lies one of the problems and reasons why SRA doesn't work. Why should the information be public at all? confused Why not let only the government, or a select few people know the secret identities. Otherwise, you're just letting villains know who to kidnap/torture/mutate/kill to hurt the heroes most. no

durlaugh

Ummm,you are aware it is a strict rule that ONLY Tony Stark knows the identity,and no-one else?

Martian_mind
Second one to sock as my dark side.

I'm quite popular.

Only cause they know people cae so little about you that they couldn't be assed to care.

Entity
But they never had to publicly expose themselves. Peter just did that to show support for the registration act to the public!

If you read the story registration was never mandatory public exposition!

Martian_mind
Yeah,but Tricker missed that.

or forgot.

or he's a tard

or some combination of the three.

Supreme Smurph
Ummm,you are aware it is a strict rule that ONLY Tony Stark knows the identity,and no-one else? Which is why Stark decided to convince spiderman to do what again?

Supreme Smurph
Second one to sock as my dark side.

I'm quite popular. Popularity has nothing to do with it my brother. I am your Bane. We are one and shall never be parted. The fool, Creshosk thought he had gotten me out of your spirit, but I am tied too deeply.

Martian_mind
Which is why Stark decided to convince spiderman to do what again?

As a sign of faith,he didn't force Spidey into it.Spiderman was just being thick erm

Supreme Smurph
As a sign of faith,he didn't force Spidey into it.Spiderman was just being thick erm I see. Well then for all those other reasons everyone else mentioned. And it just seems unamerican, by the way, to be doing anything other than being a reactionary. There could be superhero police. But the whole registration is the same thing as what people were doing to Mutants.

SpunkySmurph
Here in lies one of the problems and reasons why SRA doesn't work. Why should the information be public at all? confused Why not let only the government, or a select few people know the secret identities. Otherwise, you're just letting villains know who to kidnap/torture/mutate/kill to hurt the heroes most. no It's not... Stark personally headed SHIELD to make sure that nobody would have a way of finding out. Hell, only he is supposed to know.

Well, this hasn't happened in Canada yet. They have their own registration act. So either theirs isn't public, or no nobody cares enough about Canada or Alpha Flight enough to attack them. stick out tongue

Alpha Flight > most American heroes.

And dur you, Smurf. dur I could respond to that with how DC handled this situation in the 50s (comic-time). Just to prove my statement correct?

Btw, Stark did other reprehensible things besides Clor. The Negative Zone prison, the exile of the Hulk, the persecution of superheroes for doing their job All of which made sense.

And please tell me you're kidding about Hulk...

Jebus reborn
Make it three lines:

Tony Stark rocks.

The Story sucks.

Trickster's gonna make some "DC>Marvel" statement.

You can't go wrong. Now I want to, just for that little crack about Canada...

Superherovandal
Their are a couple problems with the SRA. mainly the Negative Zone Prison and being forced to work for shield.

Martian_mind
Isn't the point of a prison to isolate criminals to protect society?If so,there's nothing wrong with a negative zone prison,as it adds an extra layer of protection from crims who could just walk out of a normal prison.

TricksterPriest
It's not... Stark personally headed SHIELD to make sure that nobody would have a way of finding out. Hell, only he is supposed to know.

Alpha Flight > most American heroes.

Just to prove my statement correct?

All of which made sense.

And please tell me you're kidding about Hulk...

And you think Stark is trustworthy? ermm

And I'm only half kidding about the Hulk. Exiling him directly set up the events of Planet Hulk and gave him a target for WWH. So in effect, Stark is partially responsible for all the damage Hulk is going to cause in WWH. It's like how the CIA armed Bin Laden and trained him. They're partially responsible for his using that knowledge and how he applied it.

Jebus reborn

And I'm only half kidding about the Hulk. Exiling him directly set up the events of Planet Hulk and gave him a target for WWH. So in effect, Stark is partially responsible for all the damage Hulk is going to cause in WWH. It's like how the CIA armed Bin Laden and trained him. They're partially responsible for his using that knowledge and how he applied it. Except, if it wasn't actually Earth heroes like implied, then Tony is not responsible... on bit.

He got rid of the Hulk, and gave him a better life (and everyone else), and if it wasn't actually him that set off the bomb, then it wasn't really Tony's/Reed's fault.

Framed, more like it.

xmarksthespot
You're a bit late Spunky, I was bitching about the premise when it started. 131

Marvel already had an allegory for discrimination - mutants; which was a more legitimate civil rights allegory as it wasn't based on costumed heroics as a choice, it was based on genetically derived uncontrolled differences. And ordinary people in Marvel have in general always disliked mutants and would do so regardless of if there was no Magneto et al.

Halfway through Civil War they made it more akin to a civil rights issue in that powered people were made to register I think... but then it just becomes inconsistent - the likes of street levelers are never going to be able to cause any massive death and destruction that any ordinary person couldn't given the right resources... so is it about costumed heroics or powers at that stage... only the latter of which is an actual civil rights issue.

SpunkySmurph

And I'm only half kidding about the Hulk. Exiling him directly set up the events of Planet Hulk and gave him a target for WWH. So in effect, Stark is partially responsible for all the damage Hulk is going to cause in WWH. It's like how the CIA armed Bin Laden and trained him. They're partially responsible for his using that knowledge and how he applied it. If Bin Laden was an American Citizen, who had caused untold damage to persons and property, and the US didn't want/couldn't execute him, so they exiled him to another country (or deported him, I suppose), and Bin Laden came back with a vengeance, I wouldn't blame the US for kicking him out...

SpunkySmurph
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
You're a bit late Spunky, I was bitching about the premise when it started. 131

Marvel already had an allegory for discrimination - mutants; which was a more legitimate civil rights allegory as it wasn't based on costumed heroics as a choice, it was based on genetically derived uncontrolled differences. And ordinary people in Marvel have in general always disliked mutants and would do so regardless of if there was no Magneto et al.

Halfway through Civil War they made it more akin to a civil rights issue in that powered people were made to register I think... but then it just becomes inconsistent - the likes of street levelers are never going to be able to cause any massive death and destruction that any ordinary person couldn't given the right resources... so is it about costumed heroics or powers at that stage... only the latter of which is an actual civil rights issue. True enough.

You can't say that being forced to be held responsible for your actions when you choose to wear colorful spandex and fight Doc Ock is an infringement on your Civil Rights.

If you're worried enough about the effects of having Tony Stark know your name, that a villain might come back and kill your family, maybe you should get out of the crime fighting business.

capt it up
**** TONY STARK I WISH I COULD PUNT **** HIM

Tyrant
Originally posted by capt it up
**** TONY STARK I WISH I COULD PUNT **** HIM Why? Because he's so awesome?

pr1983

i don't believe that the government has the right to dictate to superhumans, unless said government is composed of superhumans... shield doesnt count imo...

i still believe that the best way to do it would be to set up an organisation composed of senior heroes that would deal with any threats posed by evil or simply inexperienced capes...

i've said it before, i'd prefer that it was all dealt with 'in-house'

non-powered humans, imo, have no right to dictate to people who literally hold the lives of thousands of people in their hands every day...

also what x and superherovandal said about the prison and shield too...

i believed that cap was right to go against it, and i still do...

Blight
Originally posted by pr1983
i don't believe that the government has the right to dictate to superhumans, unless said government is composed of superhumans... shield doesnt count imo...

i still believe that the best way to do it would be to set up an organisation composed of senior heroes that would deal with any threats posed by evil or simply inexperienced capes...

non-powered humans, imo, have no right to dictate to people who literally hold the lives of thousands of people in their hands every day...

i believed that cap was right to go against it, and i still do... You Hippies ranting

pr1983
Originally posted by Blight
You Hippies ranting

laughing

not at all...

let's just say that if i was an emerging hero, i'd rather talk to the x-men or captain america than some shield agent...

Blight
Agreed.

SpunkySmurph
Originally posted by Battlehammer
**** TONY STARK I WISH I COULD PUNT **** HIM I need a name change.

SpunkySmurph

It isn't a dictatorship... or, it shouldn't be, if Marvel wasn't out to make the SRA look like Mein Kampf.

It is simply people keeping their own lives and security safe from a potentially jeopardizing situation.

Non-powered humans have every right to say that they want the government to keep walking nukes in check, superheroes aren't above the law, and if they pose a threat to regular humans, then regular humans should be able to ensure their safety.

jasonk3
I need a name change.

Me too.

Supreme Smurph
I need a name change. You do not...

SpunkySmurph
You do not... It's too long.

Maybe just "Smurph"

TricksterPriest
I like your current one. smile

SpunkySmurph
If I changed it to something completely different, I would still demand everyone call me Smurph or Smurf. Maybe Spunky.

If only for the confusion.

Grinning Goku

The way Luke Cage was dealt with was enough to make me side with the anti-reg.

tjcoady

i believed that cap was right to go against it, and i still do...

your first statement isn't logical at all. it's like saying that the government doesn't have the right to create laws for white people unless it's made up only of white people, or that it doesn't have the right to make laws for black people unless it's made up entirely of black people.

pr1983
forgive me for breaking this up, it just lets me respond better... erm

It isn't a dictatorship... or, it shouldn't be, if Marvel wasn't out to make the SRA look like Mein Kampf.

i didn't mean dictate in that sense... erm

so why can't superhumans do it for them?

they don't have every right imo, because they aren't superhumans... yes, they have the right to feel safe in their homes, and the rigt to be protected from harm, but they do this by trusting those who have ensured that safety for years on a massive scale...

laws were created by humans for humans, you can't apply the same law to a policeman that almost kills a criminal who resists arrest to thor who almost kills abomination after the guy tried to wipe out half of new york...

i'm not saying that superheroes shouldnt be regulated, what im saying is that there are heroes that are respected by everyone, like tony and reed, and imo they could have come up with a much better way of dealing with the situation...

i'll put it this way... save im a hero (yes, try to believe that for a sec... stick out tongue), and i can do all the things thor can do...

i'm not going to let shield tell me to go to the backarse of asia because suddenly the administration decides it doesnt like who's in charge over there... cap said it himself, if the bill passed, washington would be deciding who the enemies are... it happens in the real world, there's no reason to believe it wouldnt happen in a marvel one...

Originally posted by tjcoady
your first statement isn't logical at all. it's like saying that the government doesn't have the right to create laws for white people unless it's made up only of white people, or that it doesn't have the right to make laws for black people unless it's made up entirely of black people.

you seem to be the one lacking logic here... what you said is absurd... the only difference between white and black people is colour, and the texture of hair, trust me, i know this first-hand...

there is a MASSIVE difference between me and a guy who can punch through concrete and shoot laser beams out of his eyes...

SpunkySmurph
forgive me for breaking this up, it just lets me respond better... erm I'm pretty hurt now, but I think I'll get over it.

i didn't mean dictate in that sense... erm It seemed implied.

so why can't superhumans do it for them? This isn't humans trying to control superhumans. This is humans trying to apply laws to superhumans, so that they can be held responsible for their actions, the same as any human.

they don't have every right imo, because they aren't superhumans... yes, they have the right to feel safe in their homes, and the rigt to be protected from harm, but they do this by trusting those who have ensured that safety for years on a massive scale...

laws were created by humans for humans, you can't apply the same law to a policeman that almost kills a criminal who resists arrest to thor who almost kills abomination after the guy tried to wipe out half of new york... The difference in there is not between Thor and a policeman, but between a petty criminal and Abomination.

If Ironman almost kills a petty criminal, and a policeman almost kills a petty criminal, the same rules should apply.

i'm not saying that superheroes shouldnt be regulated, what im saying is that there are heroes that are respected by everyone, like tony and reed, and imo they could have come up with a much better way of dealing with the situation...
They are bringing laws to superheroes. Just because you can lift a car with your thoughts gives you no right to not be held responsible for it.

i'll put it this way... save im a hero (yes, try to believe that for a sec... stick out tongue), and i can do all the things thor can do...

i'm not going to let shield tell me to go to the backarse of asia because suddenly the administration decides it doesnt like who's in charge over there... cap said it himself, if the bill passed, washington would be deciding who the enemies are... it happens in the real world, there's no reason to believe it wouldnt happen in a marvel one...
Fair enough, but going to war over a law is ridiculous and dumb. It makes a good comic book, but tearing up your country because you're paranoid about the government putting a leash on you is imbecilic.

If Tony's a dick, then Capt's a bigger one.

Superherovandal
sure but the whole going into an extra dimensional prison without any trial and being held indefinitely is over the top. first of all they're invading other dimension and using it as if its their right. then their's the fact that superhumans that don't comply with the law are held without any trial and indefinitely. lemme ask you. say you didn't have your Drivers license so they decide to hold you in a maximum security prison without any trial till you will get your license. then theres the fact that since you are in another dimension you basically are in the control of the guards since there'll be no way to contest it. plus theres the fact that they cloned a human. Okay Thor's not exactly human but i think he falls under the "illegal-to-clone-list" But since its the govt they don't even get any punishment. what about the pro-regs accountability for that?

Tyrant
If I changed it to something completely different, I would still demand everyone call me Smurph or Smurf. Maybe Spunky.

If only for the confusion. Or Spunk.

SpunkySmurph
Originally posted by Tyrant
Or Spunk. Martian's sister already claimed that one.

SpunkySmurph
Originally posted by Superherovandal
sure but the whole going into an extra dimensional prison without any trial and being held indefinitely is over the top. first of all they're invading other dimension and using it as if its their right. then their's the fact that superhumans that don't comply with the law are held without any trial and indefinitely. lemme ask you. say you didn't have your Drivers license so they decide to hold you in a maximum security prison without any trial till you will get your license. then theres the fact that since you are in another dimension you basically are in the control of the guards since there'll be no way to contest it. plus theres the fact that they cloned a human. Okay Thor's not exactly human but i think he falls under the "illegal-to-clone-list" But since its the govt they don't even get any punishment. what about the pro-regs accountability for that? I'm pretty sure this was all already addressed.

Superherovandal
it was?

xmarksthespot
Originally posted by Superherovandal
sure but the whole going into an extra dimensional prison without any trial and being held indefinitely is over the top. first of all they're invading other dimension and using it as if its their right. then their's the fact that superhumans that don't comply with the law are held without any trial and indefinitely. lemme ask you. say you didn't have your Drivers license so they decide to hold you in a maximum security prison without any trial till you will get your license. then theres the fact that since you are in another dimension you basically are in the control of the guards since there'll be no way to contest it. plus theres the fact that they cloned a human. Okay Thor's not exactly human but i think he falls under the "illegal-to-clone-list" But since its the govt they don't even get any punishment. what about the pro-regs accountability for that? Marvel tried to set it up so that the pro-registration side were the devil incarnate, while trying to maintain that the editorial staff etc. hadn't chosen a side from the get go.

The concept of registration for costumed heroics in itself is not a bad concept.

pr1983
I'm pretty hurt now, but I think I'll get over it.

no expression

well then i apologise...

but thats the point, they arent the same as any human are they?

i disagree... erm people like thor and the avengers make the safety of the human race their personal responsibility... a policeman does to an extent, but nowhere near on that scale... how often do policemen fight off alien invasions or mischievous gods that try to enslave humanity?

guys like thor and other heroes need laws tailored to them... they arent ordinary people... yes they should be accountable for their actions, but i don't think its up to humans, more to the people that personify heroism... cap, tony, the f4, those are the people who should be deciding if a hero has stepped out of line, because those guys know what they're talking about... shield and the US government should have no part in it whatsoever imo...

i disagree... iron man has a hundred times the capacity of a policeman to spare the life of a criminal, if he kills a criminal when he doesnt need to, the punishment should fit who he is imo...

i'm not saying you shouldnt, my problem is simply with those who would deem themselves suitable to make those people accountable...

they didn't go to war, they resisted arrest and registration... yes it got out of hand, but i doubt either side wanted an all out war... and yes it did happen, so they all realy f*cked up...

i disagree... tony was extremely overzealous, the way he just seemed to turn on people as soon as they even tried to offer a different opinion... yes it was out of character, but christ, it was really out of character...

Originally posted by xmarksthespot
The concept of registration for costumed heroics in itself is not a bad concept.

i agree, i just think given marvel resources, they could have done it so much better...

llagrok
I can't help but get the feeling that Tony read Kingdom Come before starting all of this.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.