Superman question

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

basilisk
This is an old rumour I'm hoping some Superman expert can help with... I heard somewhere once that there was an old Superman story where he tries to punch Luthor, Luthor dodges, and Superman's fist swings right back up and punches Supe's own face. End result Superman knocks himself out.

The explanation was that Superman was so powerful that writers had to come up with more and more ridiculous ways for people like Luthor to be able to challenge him.

I don't know what decade it was supposed to be from. Is there any truth to this story at all?

Galan007
IF it happened, , it would have been in the early PC days.

Supes back then was ridiculously powerful, to such a degree that the only way to "beat him" was something stupid like you just described. laughing out loud

Grinning Goku
How the hell could Luthor dodge one of PC Superman's punches? What the f**k?

Galan007
Originally posted by Grinning Goku
How the hell could Luthor dodge one of PC Superman's punches? What the f**k? Crappy Golden/Silver Age writing... srug

Endless Mike
Actually back in the PC days, Luthor had his own "super power", which was basically taking normal technology and turning it into super cosmic science devices. That's why he was so dangerous.

basilisk
Yes, also I remember thinking a) how the hell did Luthor dodge, and b) if Superman was hitting hard enough to knock himself out, what was he trying to do? Turn Luthor's head into tomato paste?

I really don't know where it came from, I just heard it when I was a kid and it stuck in my mind for its sheer stupidity.

stickman618
i have another question,

why are Superman's clothes and cape invulnerable??

Endless Mike
Originally posted by stickman618
i have another question,

Because

A: The bio-electic field generated by his body extends past his clothes, protecting them

or

B. They are made of special materials from Krypton

Both explanations have been given in the comics

Sarutobi700
Its no suprise. Many normal people have defeated Supes, it just shows that he is overrated

super pr*xy
Originally posted by stickman618
i have another question,

they're not always invulnerable.

emporerpants
supes >>>>>>>>>>>> ssj3 goku

MattDay
lol normal people? nothing normal about luthor or batman as characters s no one in reality will ever be able to leap like batman and be as deadly and nor will anyone be ridiculously smart like luthor... that's why superman "can" be taken down by these guys because they are not normal at all. plus he has beaten guys many times more powerful than himself, the door swing both ways on that one

MattDay
Originally posted by Endless Mike
Because

A: The bio-electic field generated by his body extends past his clothes, protecting them

or

B. They are made of special materials from Krypton

Both explanations have been given in the comics

he was wrapped in them clothes when he was sent to earth, they have the same density a superman, because they were made on krypton

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by basilisk
This is an old rumour I'm hoping some Superman expert can help with... I heard somewhere once that there was an old Superman story where he tries to punch Luthor, Luthor dodges, and Superman's fist swings right back up and punches Supe's own face. End result Superman knocks himself out.

The explanation was that Superman was so powerful that writers had to come up with more and more ridiculous ways for people like Luthor to be able to challenge him.

I don't know what decade it was supposed to be from. Is there any truth to this story at all?

Maybe Luthor trap Supes inside a room made out of rubber and POW! It happen...

pr1983
Originally posted by MattDay
he was wrapped in them clothes when he was sent to earth, they have the same density a superman, because they were made on krypton

his blanket yes... his suit itself, no... messed

Originally posted by Sarutobi700
Its no suprise. Many normal people have defeated Supes, it just shows that he is overrated

yes, you being tbe resident expert on superman... quit trolling.

shortstickman
supermans TK ability allows him to make other objects invulnerable like his suit or in the Superman movies case a football plaine or what ever he might be using exponential(sp?) force on.

Pete Beast
LOL, only thing close to this has been when jimmy knocked Superman, and when Muhamed Ali beat Superman. Both pre-crisis, both ages ago. But nothign to this extent, knokicng HIMSELF out? lol.

basilisk
Finally answered my own question.

Only it was Prankster, not Luthor, in Action #57 (although I guess it's possible Luthor did it at some point too).

Endless Mike
Oh, those wacky Pre - Crisis DC writers....

stickman618
Superman was kinda stupid

Endless Mike
Everyone in Pre-Crisis DC was exactly as smart as the plot called for.

This is why in one issue Lex Luthor can build a time machine out of junk, and in the next he lets Superman escape some trap he built by completely ignoring what's going on

Wacky era, really

jalek moye
Originally posted by Raoul
his blanket yes... his suit itself, no... messed

so his cape invulnerable

and why do people think he has telekenisis when it has never been truly stated in comics

stickman618
i think they mean the telekinesis which allows him carry large objects

basically, anything he touches becomes surrounded by a telekinetic field so he can move the whole thing and not just break off the part he's holding

jalek moye
but he doesnt have that ability hes just that strong.

i thought superboy had that though, its called tactile telekensis and superman hasnt been stated as having it.

JayJohn85
Hmm this may be taboo I dunno but would really like it answered cos I only kinda picked up one issue ages ago and was like wtf.

Superman is blue? What, How, When did he turn blue? Are his powers now superior or is he back to his original state now? Really would like some info on that.

Cheers.

Endless Mike
That was a temporary version, they changed his look and powers for some reason, but it got changed back a few years later.

Eel O'Brien
Originally posted by jalek moye
but he doesnt have that ability hes just that strong.

i thought superboy had that though, its called tactile telekensis and superman hasnt been stated as having it.

The Byrne Superman was stated as having a telekinetic field. It was meant to explain why Superman can lift a building without it breaking apart.

This is also why Superman says that things seem lighter while he is flying.

jalek moye
i think that was retconned. but like i said. there are characters in DC who have that ability and its known, so why would his not be. And why would he be consiered one of the strongest superheros by DC if it was mostly telekensis

I think its just somthing people throw out to try to make sense of his comic book ability to have things not fall apart while lifting.

Bardock42
Well, it was also used to explain Superboy's ability of contact telekinesis.

jalek moye
yea it was actually a listed and known superboy power though. well the same cant be said for superman

Zack Fair
ROFL

Zack Fair
Originally posted by JayJohn85
Hmm this may be taboo I dunno but would really like it answered cos I only kinda picked up one issue ages ago and was like wtf.

Superman is blue? What, How, When did he turn blue? Are his powers now superior or is he back to his original state now? Really would like some info on that.

Cheers.

Oh yah Superman Blue...His powers were superior to his normal power sets even after he got the upgrades.

Blue Supes came to be after the events of Zero Hour when a sun eater targeted our sun and Supes run out of powers after the sun was "gone." After that situation was fixed his powers didn't come back and he began to arrange for different ways to regain them. In the end he overpowered himself--if I remember right. There was also a red Supes.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.