Murder set pieces.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

NormaBates
This movie sure got a reputation.
Is it really as hardcore as they say?? Is it as vile as Cannibal Holocaust?
I'd would love your comments on this film cause i'm been planning to buy it. Do you reckon there is a big difference between the new release and the uncut version. I mean, the uncut version is like very expensive. I want to be sure before i buy the uncut version that it is worth it... embarrasment

BackFire
Not bothered with it. The vile version isn't available anymore, the one that's readily available (Lion's Gate, I believe) is heavily censored.

I've heard it's mostly shit, though, either way.

Solo
It's mad shitty. Don't even bother if you can't get your hands on the unrated cut, though.

cropsy_is_god
Only get the unrated version but dont pay too much for it. It has some violent scenes.

Wolfie
It's crap. It's just like the other stupid horror movies that go DTV. Don't bother.

allofyousuckkk
What exactly is this? I looked it up on wikipedia...but ya, nothing

MildPossession
It looks like it will be a load of rubbish.

42ndStreetFreak
I liked it.
It was nasty, gratuitous, violent, and extreme.

It was also exceptionally well made, with a generally good (if rather hammy at times) lead performance, but there's nothing deep and meaningful here in the killers' make-up.

The FX were okay, but were mostly just blood. What was there was well done though and shot so as to add to the realism.
Nice soundtrack, nice cameos by Tony Todd and especially Gunnar Hansen, who is normally given crap to do.

BUT...it was not some wondrous look into the mind of a killer as some people (normally with an agenda) have said.
But then again perhaps there is not much TO look into. He kills, he likes it. End of.
But even if that's the case it obviously negates any deep delving into his psyche because there is nothing there to delve for.

Also, I was not emotionally pained by the murder scenes. They left no lasting impression at all and I never felt the TRAGEDY of it all.
YES it was gory, bloody, chaotic and violent.
YES it was extreme.
NO it did not disturb me as it should have.

Even with a young girl knifed in the stomach...there was nothing in "MSP" to compare to, say, the dinner scene in the original "TCM" which was far more brutal, oppressive and bludgeoning than any of the deaths in "MSP". And again blood was rare in "TCM".
Just that one close-up on the sweaty, agonised, mad face of Sally, as Hooper's camera almost sees into her terrified soul, accomplished far more than anything seen in "MSP".

The ONE scene that did hit hard was the baby scene.
But that was little to do with actual artistic skill (true, it took guts to DO IT though) and all to do with the fact this was a real, crying child being covered in blood and held up like a curio in a museum (nice directorial touch here I admit, and nice acting) before staggering down the hall, blood soaked, to lie its sobbing head on the dead chest of it's Mother.
As a Father of a three year old, that genuinely hit hard. But was it great cinema mastery...or a callous geek show that ANYONE could have filmed?

"Murder Set-Pieces" is a solid, extremely well made, pretty well acted, nasty and extreme movie that does indeed need to be supported and it's nice to see such an extreme film get the kind of release (as much as it can today) that used to be the norm for such 70's classics.
But it's not the disturbing, gut wrenching experience it should have been.
Certainly check it out though.

MildPossession
Well, just a bump to say, for those who don't know, it has been banned on dvd here in England.

amlap
compared with cannibal holocaust does it still stand out as being more disturbing?

Originally posted by 42ndStreetFreak
Also, I was not emotionally pained by the murder scenes. They left no lasting impression at all and I never felt the TRAGEDY of it all.

i'll tell ya moment that left me churning. the scene where the mother bites the d*ck off the guy in THE LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT!

MildPossession
It's something to do with the children actors apparently, in Murder Set Pieces.

Wolfie
Originally posted by amlap
compared with cannibal holocaust does it still stand out as being more disturbing?
Nothing about the movie is disturbing.

BackFire
I'll be watching this in the coming days.

Killsw1tch
I wouldn't waste your time watching this movie, its rather pointless and dull. Its about a crazy serial killer that runs around killing random prostitutes. Some scenes are kinda gory buts its kind of like a movie that puts a " ZOMG THIS MOVIE WILL DISTURB YOU " label on the cover and when you watch it your very dissapointed.

amlap
Originally posted by Killsw1tch
I wouldn't waste your time watching this movie, its rather pointless and dull. Its about a crazy serial killer that runs around killing random prostitutes. Some scenes are kinda gory buts its kind of like a movie that puts a " ZOMG THIS MOVIE WILL DISTURB YOU " label on the cover and when you watch it your very dissapointed.

i know exactly where your coming from.... i just bought BROKEN and it had that whole "makes saw look like a childrens movie" tag.... but i fell asleep 30 mins in.

but i wont take my own advise... ill still find this movie and watch it anyway

Killsw1tch
Originally posted by amlap
i know exactly where your coming from.... i just bought BROKEN and it had that whole "makes saw look like a childrens movie" tag.... but i fell asleep 30 mins in.

but i wont take my own advise... ill still find this movie and watch it anyway

Yeah, its always good to look for a review or something and see other peoples opinions on movies before going out to buy it, a lot of movies put labels that make it seem likes its going to be the next cannibal holocaust when actually its just as crappy as movies like rest stop and so on.

MildPossession
Does anything warrant a ban in this film?

BackFire
In my opinion, nothing warrants a ban of any fictional film.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by MildPossession
Does anything warrant a ban in this film?

The shittiness, maybe.

I had to turn this movie off within ten minutes. I have seen better film quality coming from an 8th grade film project. As for the content of the movie. I cant really comment on it. I skipped through the scenes. The acting seemed intolerable and the production in general seemed more empty than the synopsis on the back of the dvd box.

BackFire
This was an awful, boring movie. Amazingly shitty. One of the worst I've ever seen. If you must see this movie, download it or steal it; do not purchase it or spend any money on it, and just fast forward through to the gore scenes, as they're halfway passable.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.