Humans & Superpowers

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ultimate Hulk43
With evolution running amok, I think it's possible for humans to have some sort of powers in the future. I don't mean anything like Superman or Galactus but enhanced strength, speed, intelligence, etc. What do you all think/believe?

Violent2Dope
No, I actually think I've read or heard somewhere that human's can no longer evolve.

FeceMan
Evolution? Running amok?

We live in a time period when advanced nations have such technology that natural selection plays little part in our society.

Goddess Kali
Human Beings have certainly expanded thier mental abilities, I would not be surprised if we eventually were able to master psychic powers

FeceMan
I tried making a psiball. Didn't work.

Violent2Dope
I tried making a psiball too, I blew up a star.

Robtard
We're actually getting weaker as a species... years ago, when natural selection would have killed off people born with asthma, heart problems, or any genetic "weakness" before they could reach maturity and reproduce; passing along those genes, now through the miracles of technology and medicine, they do live and pass on those genes.

We're going to continue to become weaker and weaker, that is until gene manipulation comes to fruition; were we're able to enhance people at the embryonic stage and/or remove genetic defeats.

Throw 1,000 average people of today 20,000 years into the past, giving them only what our ancestors had, I doubt less than 1 out of 20 would survive.

Ultimate Hulk43
I don't think we're getting weaker as a species but we certainly aren't progressing any faster.

Robtard
Originally posted by Ultimate Hulk43
I don't think we're getting weaker as a species but we certainly aren't progressing any faster.

No, it's a fact. If the "weak" who would normally not survive to pass on defeats do survive, it affects the entire gene pool. The only question is, how much does it affect it. I.E., since wolves are all but gone in most areas were there are deer, the deer no longer have that 'survival push' to become faster and stronger as a species.

Grinning Goku
In the distant future, I suppose humans will be taller, better looking on average, stronger, smarter and faster. Kinda like us versus our ancestors.

Alliance
With evolution running amok, I think it's possible for humans to have some sort of powers in the future. I don't mean anything like Superman or Galactus but enhanced strength, speed, intelligence, etc. What do you all think/believe? DURH!!!

The Black Ghost
Super powers in the future? Hell, we've got them now! Ever heard of LSD...?big grin

Realistically, I think we arent getting any better physically. But that is speculative, like, are we more advanced in nature, or in our own society? Many people couldn't live for long in the wild without anything manmade to help them I'll bet -partly because we havent needed those adaptations for so long we lost them. We have been getting taller though.

We can artifically do all of that anyways, so even if someone did have "superpowers" no one would notice them.

chillmeistergen
'Evolution running amok'; I love that.

Ultimate Hulk43
I couldn't think of anything else to say for the beginning part of that post. laughing out loud big grin

Ultimate Hulk43
Originally posted by The Black Ghost
Super powers in the future? Hell, we've got them now! Ever heard of LSD...?big grin

Realistically, I think we arent getting any better physically. But that is speculative, like, are we more advanced in nature, or in our own society? Many people couldn't live for long in the wild without anything manmade to help them I'll bet -partly because we havent needed those adaptations for so long we lost them. We have been getting taller though.

We can artifically do all of that anyways, so even if someone did have "superpowers" no one would notice them.

I think we are getting better physically. A lot of kids I know can lift over 100 lbs using weights & they aren't using steroids. Hell, my best friend can lift over 150 lbs, he's freaky strong.

The Black Ghost
Thats probably just cuz we are more athletic oriented than 100 years ago. There werent as many organized sports/community teams. And no one lifted weights everyday back then like a lot of people now...somewhat fanatic in a way-but thats how to be the best today.

Ultimate Hulk43
It's just too bad that some people don't know when to STOP working out. Just look at bodybuilders.....

Rogue Jedi
righto....freaks of nature.

Robtard
Originally posted by Alliance
DURH!!!

Ultimate Hulk43
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
righto....freaks of nature.

I couldn't bear to be that freakishly large. It's kind of disgusting.

Violent2Dope
Largest I'd want to get would be John Cena large.

Ultimate Hulk43
Yeah, either him or Bobby Lashley. But, when you get Arnold Schwarzenegger large, now that's when you need to stop.

xmarksthespot
GDF: The height of intellectual discourse. doped

KidRock
With evolution running amok, I think it's possible for humans to have some sort of powers in the future. I don't mean anything like Superman or Galactus but enhanced strength, speed, intelligence, etc. What do you all think/believe?

Seriously...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d8/The.Big.Lebowski.1998.Screenshot.2.jpg

Robtard
Originally posted by KidRock
Seriously...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d8/The.Big.Lebowski.1998.Screenshot.2.jpg

Best movie, ever.

...and, an ingenious post, considering that specific scene.

Rogue Jedi
the Big Lebowski!!!

Ultimate Hulk43
Happy Dance

Rogue Jedi
charlie....the man in the black pajamas.....

KidRock
Originally posted by Robtard
Best movie, ever.

...and, an ingenious post, considering that specific scene.

nobody ****s with da' jesus man!

Rogue Jedi
You're outta your league Donnie and you dont know what you're talking about!!!

KidRock
MARK IT ZERO

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h30/hamwad/the_big_lebowski32.jpg

Rogue Jedi
laughing out loud Man down dude!!!.....Let's take this fukking hill!!!

Rogue Jedi
mXQ9KHEC7FY

gingercaily

i agree, as technology becomes more advanced and intrusive, i think nothing is impossible.......

Bardock42
I think we are getting better physically. A lot of kids I know can lift over 100 lbs using weights & they aren't using steroids. Hell, my best friend can lift over 150 lbs, he's freaky strong.

And you tested what Norse Warriors were able to lift 1000 years ago?

Nowadays in our societies there are often other skills and characteristics valued than what would suppose is a perfect fit to survive in nature. So we of course still change in some way, not really because of survival of the fittest in the traditional sense. Then again, we don't really need it anymore, since technology is faster and can us help adjust better than evolution can.

Rogue Jedi
good point about the vikings.

Fishy
Originally posted by Bardock42
And you tested what Norse Warriors were able to lift 1000 years ago?

Nowadays in our societies there are often other skills and characteristics valued than what would suppose is a perfect fit to survive in nature. So we of course still change in some way, not really because of survival of the fittest in the traditional sense. Then again, we don't really need it anymore, since technology is faster and can us help adjust better than evolution can.

I'd still say it's survival of the fittest though. The only thing that has changed is what fittest is, today intelligence and social skills are greater strengths then real physical strength.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Fishy
I'd still say it's survival of the fittest though. The only thing that has changed is what fittest is, today intelligence and social skills are greater strengths then real physical strength.

Yeah, I realized that which is why I said in the traditional sense.

cyber tuff guy!

That's mainly due to better diet than our ancestors, anyway my Jedi training program means I am much tougher than you forummers......... Online.

Violent2Dope
I like to poop.

Ultimate Hulk43
Originally posted by cyber tuff guy!
That's mainly due to better diet than our ancestors, anyway my Jedi training program means I am much tougher than you forummers......... Online.

Yeah, right.....

FeceMan
Originally posted by Alliance
DURH!!!
RAPE

JacopeX
Don't we all have a Ki energy surrounding us?

FeceMan
No.

Violent2Dope
Yes.

ragesRemorse
Evolution is largely dictated by enviorment. Until we need to read minds, burn meteors with our eyes, or leap great ditances. Eveoution will only serve to benefit practical needs of nature.

Personally, i dont think humanity will live long enough to witness the next step in our evolution. The closest we are now is the recessing of the pinky toe. The next large step in human evolution will be the dissapearance of the little toe and wisdom teeth, not superpowers.

Although, there may one day be a type of synthetic evolution with the advent of cybernetics, which im sure is on the horizon for the next hundred years

Symmetric Chaos
Because of our social systems and technology natural selection's effects are more limited than they would normally be and our evolution is hardly headed toward superpowers. At best we'll get prettier, stronger and smarter.

If you want superpowers I suggest irradiating yourself or being an alien.

Ultimate Hulk43
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
Evolution is largely dictated by enviorment. Until we need to read minds, burn meteors with our eyes, or leap great ditances. Eveoution will only serve to benefit practical needs of nature.

Personally, i dont think humanity will live long enough to witness the next step in our evolution. The closest we are now is the recessing of the pinky toe. The next large step in human evolution will be the dissapearance of the little toe and wisdom teeth, not superpowers.

Although, there may one day be a type of synthetic evolution with the advent of cybernetics, which im sure is on the horizon for the next hundred years

I think that humans will be around for a long time to come, especially if we stop killing ourselves off. But, I think that everyone would be better off if they exercised regularly & studied.

Rogue Jedi
wanna test my powers? pull my finger.....

Ultimate Hulk43
That's soooo hilarious.

Rogue Jedi
they call me the spleen.

Ultimate Hulk43
They call me the...I'll think of something & when I do....BEWARE!

Rogue Jedi
I call you......yeah.

dadudemon

ragesRemorse
I think that humans will be around for a long time to come, especially if we stop killing ourselves off. But, I think that everyone would be better off if they exercised regularly & studied.

I agree, i think humans will be around for a quite a long time to come, just not the millions of years it takes to evolove physically.

regular mental and physcial exercise would be a welcomed evolution though laughing out loud

Mindship
I think that humans will be around for a long time to come, especially if we stop killing ourselves off. A science fiction author speculated in one of his novels that, of all the humans who will ever be alive--this to include the 200,000 years of homo sapien's existence-- 99% have yet to be born.

I think all that stuff we read about in scifi/comics (genetic enginnering; nanotech; etc, for things like 1000-ton lifting strength or supersonic body speed) may prove to be much more difficult than we imagine. We'll likely be able to do it one day, but that day has to be centuries away.

Nicely put.

ragesRemorse
im sure we will be able to advance ourselves one day with genetic engineering

The Black Ghost
We can do that now. Think steroids! big grin

FeceMan
I AM PYROKINETIC NOW SAY SORRY FOR MAKING FUN OF ME

leonheartmm
dependant on genes. people will develop mystical/psychic powers. more and more so. its been goin on from a very long time. i think im not serious, but then again, maybe i am.

vinz07
Do you wish to have superpowers? oh common guys!!!stop dreaming

Ultimate Hulk43
If you would've read through the thread, you'd know that....Ah, nevermind. I shouldn't bother.

dadudemon
Originally posted by The Black Ghost
We can do that now. Think steroids! big grin

No, that is receptor manipulation, not gene manipulation. Pretty much all pharmaceuticals are just chemicals that attach themselves to a receptor in the body...same goes for steroids. (Androgen receptor I believe.)

Robtard

Mindship
A question for those into genetic engineering: just how "super" do you think a person could be, using only this approach (eg, no tech enhancements)? Could a person, say, be enabled to press 100 tons, or shoot energy from their eyes? What would be the limits of genetic engineering alone?

vivando-loca
who knows?

dadudemon

Czarina_Czarina
Originally posted by dadudemon
No, that is receptor manipulation, not gene manipulation. Pretty much all pharmaceuticals are just chemicals that attach themselves to a receptor in the body...same goes for steroids. (Androgen receptor I believe.)

most steroids are nothing but amino acids anyway.

any advancement in the human machine would happen on the dna level, as the little that i know about it, it has a read-write program (what we call chemicals on that level are really advanced in a particular function and built only for that function, and react very dynamically to chemicals (too much potassium, not enough magnessium, toxic stuff like mercury in the blood)...all of this can augment any cell reproduction or dna copy production (as if it miscopies in the negative way, it's a problem).

Crimson Phoenix
Originally posted by Czarina_Czarina

Actually its a hydrocarbon skeleton with rings. but i'm just being picky, sorry

Czarina_Czarina
Originally posted by Crimson Phoenix

ok. anything that has life is carbon based, any LIVING "matter" at all is from carbon. so, the carbon part is fine. the particular shape has to do with its character (hole structure with rings), and the "hydro" aspect just means hydrogen (maybe with oxygen) ratio. no troubles with you being picky! picky can be a good thing.

dadudemon

LOL!! you beat me to it.
Actually, I have studied anabolics a lot. I accidentally memorized the chemical name of testosterone-17beta-hydroxy-4-androsten-3-one.

dadudemon=nerd

Czarina_Czarina
LOL!! you beat me to it.
Actually, I have studied anabolics a lot. I accidentally memorized the chemical name of testosterone-17beta-hydroxy-4-androsten-3-one.

dadudemon=nerd

Cool, you're a nerd when it comes to anabolics.

Crimson Phoenix
ok. anything that has life is carbon based, any LIVING "matter" at all is from carbon. so, the carbon part is fine. the particular shape as to do with it's character (hole structure with rings), and the "hydro" aspect just means hydrogen (maybe with oxygen) ratio. no troubles with you being picky! picky can be a good thing.

Actually, the hydro bit is more to do with the hydrogen, sorry being picky again stick out tongue

And about the topic, genetic manipulation, then eventually cybergenetics is probably the closest humans can get to superpowers. naturally, mutations that occur are usually disadvantageous, or have no affect on us at all. A positive mutation is extrememlyu rare, (let alone one that could give us superpwers). but its nice to dream

Czarina_Czarina
Actually, the hydro bit is more to do with the hydrogen, sorry being picky again stick out tongue

And about the topic, genetic manipulation, then eventually cybergenetics is probably the closest humans can get to superpowers. naturally, mutations that occur are usually disadvantageous, or have no affect on us at all. A positive mutation is extrememlyu rare, (let alone one that could give us superpwers). but its nice to dream

Oh goodness Crimson, now I have no options but to read a bit about cybergenetics.

Your view of the positive aspect of mutation paints the picture of any ideas on the subject as illusions, but I would disagree. Until we have all the data about positive mutation, we can call it brainstorming. cool

btw, I knew the hydro part had to do with hydrogen, but as with the other post with regard to the long stringed name (testosterone-17beta-hydroxy-4-androsten-3-one), it does hav oxygen in it. I don't know what the beta stands for, if it means something about the amount of energy transfer that it's giving off...

Crimson Phoenix
Oh goodness Crimson, now I have no options but to read a bit about cybergenetics.

Your view of the positive aspect of mutation paints the picture of any ideas on the subject as illusions, but I would disagree. Until we have all the data about positive mutation, we can call it brainstorming. cool

btw, I knew the hydro part had to do with hydrogen, but as with the other post with regard to the long stringed name, it does hav oxygen in it. I don't know what the beta stands for, if it means something about the amount of energy transfer that it's giving off...

Beleive me, positive mutations are rare. the thing with mutation is they can affect lots of things at the same time. so if you have a positive mutation, it would affect other things in a disadvantageous way, like a mutation that gives you high intelligence is also likely to give you autism.

Oh, and the beta bit is the oreintation of that bit of the molecule

dadudemon

Crimson Phoenix

dadudemon

Crimson Phoenix

Victor Von Doom

I believe steroids are lipids.

Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins.

Evil Dead
The human species has reached an evolution dead end.......as pointed out earlier, we are becoming weaker as a species. Our modern science has allowed geneticly inferior humans who would have been weeded out early by natural selection to live long lives, reproduce and pass those inferior genes on to the next generation.

It'll all turn out okay though. As much as we like to think we humans are so grand......we just can't f-ck with mother nature. The game will be reset in the future by a global catastophe (astroid, climate change, drought, whatever).........most will die, the strongest....most geneticly fit will survive to pass their genes on to a new generation beginning the cycle again.

Robtard
Originally posted by Evil Dead
The human species has reached an evolution dead end.......as pointed out earlier, we are becoming weaker as a species. Our modern science has allowed geneticly inferior humans who would have been weeded out early by natural selection to live long lives, reproduce and pass those inferior genes on to the next generation.

It'll all turn out okay though. As much as we like to think we humans are so grand......we just can't f-ck with mother nature. The game will be reset in the future by a global catastophe (astroid, climate change, drought, whatever).........most will die, the strongest....most geneticly fit will survive to pass their genes on to a new generation beginning the cycle again.

What if it's a deadly virus, and the only ones immune to it are retards, due to their distinct chromosomal makeup?

Evil Dead
extinction.

oh well.......that's mother nature. We've had our time......... one day we too will be swept aside to give another species a shot at the top.

Ultimate Hulk43
Our race would be doomed.....

dadudemon

Your natural disaster idea is only slightly true. The most likely to survive would be those who were smart enough to survive, not necessarily who are physically strong enough. (By physically strong enough, I mean resistance to the elements, physical strength, excellent immune response (Helps destroy cancerous cells before they are trouble.), and durability. (Like resistance to arthritis, etc.))

The more intelligent, the more resourceful an organism usually is. Those who trained their minds and their bodies for the catastrophe would be the most likely to survive. I can tell you, I have known some people that had an average or below average IQ but they studied things so much that they knew tons of information. If these people happened to study survival skills, they would end up being the survivors.

A super virus can be and probably has been created that no human could possibly survive. Were are talking 100% mortality rate. I am almost positive that germ warfare like this has been created in a lab somewhere and it is classified. Weren't they working on making a smallpox strain that was supposed to be resistant to any known antibiotic and immune response?

Ultimate Hulk43
Okay, as we all know, scientists are trying to come up with ways to make us immortal. Do you guys view this as stupid, smart, etc or what?

~Flamboyant~
Originally posted by KidRock
Seriously...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d8/The.Big.Lebowski.1998.Screenshot.2.jpg Best post ever.

Ultimate Hulk43
No, just no.....

Swanky-Tuna
Wouldn't we just evolve mentally until we're like Krang riding around in a fat, deformed android's stomach or possibly just have our brain implanted straight into a robot?

Mindship
Originally posted by Swanky-Tuna
Wouldn't we just evolve mentally until we're like Krang riding around in a fat, deformed android's stomach or possibly just have our brain implanted straight into a robot? Why not develop a kind of hat which stimulates the latent-psi areas of the brain? jester

xmarksthespot
Emotiv Systems are developing a video game controller that uses electroencephalography. One step closer to cyberbrains ala GITC. happy

Bardock42
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Emotiv Systems are developing a video game controller that uses electroencephalography. One step closer to cyberbrains ala GITC. happy

Odd

xmarksthespot
All they have it doing right now though is moving around Stonehenge.

YxMux4uEkLI

Bardock42
Pretty shit so far.

Mindship
All they have it doing right now though is moving around Stonehenge.
Don't they have something like this in some fighter jets (I believe it's to activate a weapons system, not for the actual firing)?

xmarksthespot
Pretty shit so far. Actually I was wrong... they had a Harry Potter game demo where you could cast spells etc. using it by thinking about it. Meh.
Originally posted by Mindship
Don't they have something like this in some fighter jets (I believe it's to activate a weapons system, not for the actual firing)? I'm not sure but it definitely has military applications.

grey fox

A super virus can be and probably has been created that no human could possibly survive. Were are talking 100% mortality rate. I am almost positive that germ warfare like this has been created in a lab somewhere and it is classified. Weren't they working on making a smallpox strain that was supposed to be resistant to any known antibiotic and immune response?

Why would anyone create such a insanely deadly weapon ? No one would use it and then some nutjob would eventually get his hands on it .

Ultimate Hulk43
People would probably end up using it in war.

inimalist

human evolution is alive and well. It is impossible to predict, but there are certainly different criteria that are attached to genetically mediated behaviours that enhance ones survival and chances of procreation. Easiest one off the top of my head is religion and children. If any part of the behaviour that drives people to religions is genetic, and the people who are religious continue to have more children than those of us who are not religious, blamo.

Originally posted by Robtard
What if it's a deadly virus, and the only ones immune to it are retards, due to their distinct chromosomal makeup?

When working with mentally handicapped people I was astounded to discover how many of them are immune to hepatitis. Were there a very deadly strain of hepatitis, they might be the next step in human evolution.

Ultimate Hulk43
That would suck but I hope it never comes to that. My mom also tells me that mentally handicapped people usually live longer than normal humans.

Symmetric Chaos

That means we're getting weaker as individuals. As a species control of the planet is something of a one horse race.

Bardock42
Actually I was wrong... they had a Harry Potter game demo where you could cast spells etc. using it by thinking about it. Meh.

Now that's cool though.

inimalist
That would suck but I hope it never comes to that. My mom also tells me that mentally handicapped people usually live longer than normal humans.

that wouldn't be my experience. Mental handicap is sometimes associated with other physical maladies that can cause early death. I don't know any stats though sad

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
That means we're getting weaker as individuals. As a species control of the planet is something of a one horse race.

agreed

but weaker is not an evolutionary term. We are not becoming weaker, we are just adapting to our environment. In the environment we are in now, certain genetic combinations are more suited for procreation than others. While they may be radically different from what is necessary to survive in the wild, it does not mean that there is any less selection pressure on our genes. We are still evolving, it is just people assume that to "evolve" is to get "better".

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by inimalist
agreed

but weaker is not an evolutionary term. We are not becoming weaker, we are just adapting to our environment. In the environment we are in now, certain genetic combinations are more suited for procreation than others. While they may be radically different from what is necessary to survive in the wild, it does not mean that there is any less selection pressure on our genes. We are still evolving, it is just people assume that to "evolve" is to get "better".

Evolution is a quest to get better though. The problem is that better doesn't always mean faster, stronger, smarter. In fact human evolution seems headed more towards adapting the environment to us rather than the other way around.

Bardock42

Pfffhahahhhhhahahahahahahhpfffhheehehehehheheheehe

Also explains why you believed her.

Mindship
Also explains why you believed her. laughing out loud
Sorry, but that was funny.

Ultimate Hulk43
Pfffhahahhhhhahahahahahahhpfffhheehehehehheheheehe

Also explains why you believed her.

You're so funny.

dadudemon
Originally posted by inimalist
When working with mentally handicapped people I was astounded to discover how many of them are immune to hepatitis. Were there a very deadly strain of hepatitis, they might be the next step in human evolution.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!! rolling on floor laughing rolling on floor laughing laughing

DUDE!!! This is so funny...

I know! I know this one!!!!! Mentally handicap people are immune to hepatitis because they eat their own shit sometimes!!!!!!! eek!

(I know that's wrong...I'm sorry.I couldn't resist.)

Ultimate Hulk43
You're just....out there man.

Robtard
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!! rolling on floor laughing rolling on floor laughing laughing

DUDE!!! This is so funny...

I know! I know this one!!!!! Mentally handicap people are immune to hepatitis because they eat their own shit sometimes!!!!!!! eek!

(I know that's wrong...I'm sorry.I couldn't resist.)

Germans, they're not immune to Hep by default.

Kumar

holy shit, that was freakin hilrious. I just laughed out loud by myself for like, 10 minutes.

Swanky-Tuna
Originally posted by Mindship
Why not develop a kind of hat which stimulates the latent-psi areas of the brain? jester
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a205/bonzai_bartender/DocBrown.jpg

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.