Brandon Routh's Physique

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ultimate Hulk43
I think that Routh isn't ripped enough. In the comics Superman is shredded & his muscles are buldging. Routh indeed got bigger before filming began but he's not big enough. If you look at the Special Features on the Two-Disc DVD special for "Superman Returns" he was struggling to lift those little weights that most of the people on this forum could probably lift without a problem. Tom Welling is more jacked than him & he only plays Clark Kent! Anyway, he needs to put on more muscle & this time not have a muscle suit.

ankur29
agreed!!!!!!!!

i hate superheroes that are not potrayed correctly in terms of physique like tobey maguire , fat retard lol

OB1-adobe
Then I suppose Lois should have had huge boobs and an amazing body

Ultimate Hulk43
Yeah. Margot Kidder actually had a nice figure. Kate Bosworth somewhat has a chest & has an ass as flat as cardboard. Plus, she's skinny, she needs to put on some weight. We want to see a real Lois Lane, not an anorexic one.

Ultimate Hulk43
Originally posted by ankur29
agreed!!!!!!!!

i hate superheroes that are not potrayed correctly in terms of physique like tobey maguire , fat retard lol

Tobey Maguire has the perfect amount of muscle in each Spider-Man movie. Spider-Man's not supposed to be really bulky & Tobey isn't too bulky. If he chooses to be fat when he's not in movies, that's his choice. We have no control over his lifestyle. Btw, those pictures of him being fat looked photoshopped anyway.

ragesRemorse
you are all insane. There is no human being that resembles or ever has that of superheros physique portrayed in a comic book. Would you rather of had superman wearing a muscle suit? Christopher reeves was no more cut than routh. Although Reeves may have been in better shape than Routh....once in spandex it doesnt matter. Routh, had a larger physical presence than reeves.

Muscles and over all physique have nothing to do with supermans strength. He could weigh 350 pounds and be the most out of shape being on Earth, yet his strength would not be effected. The presence of Superman is more important to me on film than muscles. Even though Routh portrayed a recycled Reeves performance I thought it worked none the less.

About the complaints of maguire in spiderman. He appeared exceptionally fit in the first movie when he had his shirt off. In the other two movies you never saw him with his shirt off, because showcasing a body of ripped muscles was not important for the character.

Ultimate Hulk43
Wait, wait, we're insane because we want actors to resemble their characters more physically? Yeah, okay.

roughrider
I didn't hear anyone complain about Magneto not being ripped in the movies. It's not neccessary he looks that way anyway, for his power; that's just how artists draw characters.
Superman is similar, in that his power is completely scientific and artificial. It's not required that he looks like a total gym rat like Batman, who has to work at it to fight crime. He just has to look in shape to give off an air of power. Routh looked fine to me.

WrathfulDwarf
Routh looks like in good fit. He certainly isn't skinny.

Ultimate Hulk43
It wouldn't hurt him to bulk up another 20 lbs or so either.....

((The_Anomaly))
No, I disagree. Superman shouldn't be a huge bulking guy, it looks dumb in the comics (if they go to far) and it would look even worse in a live action movie. Your basically saying that you want Superman to resemble a WWE wrestler. Which is retarded. Routh, I thought, had the perfect physical presence to be Superman. He was in shape, but still looked normal. Plus, if Superman WAS that ripped, it would make Clark Kent seem ridiculous. A huge bulking yet shy nerdy guy? It would make no sense and wouldn't be believable at all. Routh was fine.

Ultimate Hulk43
I'm not saying he should be a hulking guy, just about 10 more lbs of muscle & a six pack. I don't want him to be freakishly huge. Btw, he did have a comic called "Power to the Parasite" where he had gotten so powerful that he had the size of the Hulk, if not bigger. He looked really freaky but it was interesting to see.

Swanky-Tuna
I want to see him oiled up too. Maybe a tighter pair of trunks.

headrek1
I too tire of actors not even being close to the superhero's they are trying to act as. Now let's be honest, comic book characters are made with unrealistic musculature, that no one in real life can attain. But that's no excuse for a character in a movie to have no definition or muscles what-so-ever. Routh has got to get in better shape, I would own him in the gym hands down (probably in a fight, too), and I'm only 5'10" a buck 50 I can BP 250. People need to stop saying it's not about how they look, and how they act. One of Robert Deniro's greatest roles was in Raging Bull, where he packed on 50 pounds of muscles to more faithfully potray the boxer he was acting as. People call it one of his greatest because he showed so much devotion to the charatcer and went the extra mile to pull it off. If Deniro can do it, what makes these actors exempt from trying (in good faith, of course) to look like the characters? In Routh's defense I thought they choose him because he looked just like Chris Reeves and this was supposed to be a continuim, so to have him all buff now wouldn't fit in the story really.

roughrider
I never saw Christopher Reeve display a six-pack through his costume, and no one complained about his physique. He had the right shape; that's what mattered. And so does Routh.

ankur29
Originally posted by roughrider
I never saw Christopher Reeve display a six-pack through his costume, and no one complained about his physique. He had the right shape; that's what mattered. And so does Routh.

dude it woudln't hurt routh's charecter if he put on 10-20lbs of lean muscle , we don't want him ripped just to fill the superman 'comic' charecter's impression , after all he plays a charecter based on a comics

Ultimate Hulk43
That's what I'm saying, he doesn't have to look like a freak but Superman is known to have a pretty good physique in the comics. Tom Welling if buffer than Routh & Welling isn't even portraying Superman. Routh is in shape, no doubt but if you watch the Superman Returns special features when he's swimming, he virtually has no six pack & yet again, he was struggling with weights that would be considered little by many.

Magee
I don't think its to much to ask for him to put on some extra muscle mass for the next movie considering the amount he will be making... Superman should at least have half decent muscles and a six pack, Brandon looked kind of chubby.

Ultimate Hulk43
Yeah, look at Christian Bale though. He was HUGE in Batman Begins. He really worked out & put on muscle mass. By far Christian Bale has had the best physique for a comic book character that was featured in his own film.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Ultimate Hulk43
Wait, wait, we're insane because we want actors to resemble their characters more physically? Yeah, okay.

no, your insane for wanting something thats humanly impossible. comic book muscles exist only in the realm of science fiction. I can understand when people say that a casting choice was fitting in general resemblence, but when you are pissing because superman only had an 6 pack instead of an 8 pack...that is a nuerotic that fanboys dont even know

in risk of fueling this fire. Routh is a fairly toned person. I know ive seen shots with him rockin tight 6 pack. The problem with showcasing this muscle mass however, was the design of the superman costume. The costume wasnt designed to exentuate muscles.

Mindship
Male superhero physiques in comics are steroid physiques. How else can you get gorilla-sized arms with flexed biceps the size of your head?

As for female superfigures in comics: ever notice how often their thighs and waists are almost the same size (not to mention the standard DD racks)?

If you're gonna translate comics to live action, you have to be realistic in your expectations. Otherwise every male in tights is gonna look silly.

Ultimate Hulk43
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
no, your insane for wanting something thats humanly impossible. comic book muscles exist only in the realm of science fiction. I can understand when people say that a casting choice was fitting in general resemblence, but when you are pissing because superman only had an 6 pack instead of an 8 pack...that is a nuerotic that fanboys dont even know

in risk of fueling this fire. Routh is a fairly toned person. I know ive seen shots with him rockin tight 6 pack. The problem with showcasing this muscle mass however, was the design of the superman costume. The costume wasnt designed to exentuate muscles.

I'm seriously starting to believe you're retarded. Superman only weighs 225, which is basically all muscle. All I said is I want Routh to put on 10-15 more pounds of muscle which is no where near impossible. Also, I'm not complaing because he didn't have a 6 instead of 8 pack because he didn't have any abs period.

Grinning Goku
This thread is a little gay.

Ultimate Hulk43
So is your mother.

Grinning Goku
So is your mother.

That's her business.

Ultimate Hulk43
Yeah, totally. Tell her I can't make our booty call apointment tonight.

Grinning Goku
You fail.

Ultimate Hulk43
Correction, I fail miserably. HA! Now who fails!

larryfilmmaker

To an extent, the notion is ridiculous. Complaints about Kidder or Bosworth's physical appearances are silly because Lois's look is never concrete in comics. Complaints about a skinny dude (Routh) playing a muscular dude (Superman) are a little more founded. I think he did a good job, but yeah, he sort of lacks the physique mystique. That's right, the physique mystique. Confused? Ask Alex Ross. He'll show you.

Ultimate Hulk43
I never complained about Kidder's appearance, she has a nice figure. Bosworth is just skinny, all she needs to do is put on more weight since she looks so anorexic. As for Routh, I feel that to actually portray a hero, you need to actually look like the hero.

Kryptonian57
I'm glad someone has finally brought Alex Ross into this debate (the topic of which i second, Grinning Goku, is slightly gay in nature...but here i am nonetheless). Alex Ross makes the point himself that Superman should look muscular but not muscle bound. His physique should display strength and might, not regular steroid injections resulting in a six-pack you could grate cheese on...handy as that sounds. Ultimately Brandon Routh was stacked enough at the end of the day, but i don't think he compares to Chris Reeve's impressive physique in the the first lot of movies. To go into detail, and warm- up for my first innings batting for the other team, it is the chest that is the crucial difference. Reeve's chest (and by chest i mean pecs) was actually quite large and it gave the 'S' symbol a much more inpressive look (although i do concede that Routh had the shite 3D 'S' that was about as big as my left testicle). Nonetheless Reeve's physique is much more in keeping with the Alex Ross notion of appearing muscular but not muscle bound (my preferred Superman look).

Ultimate Hulk43
Yeah, he needs to work on those shitty pecs.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.