Greek Mythology: Do you believe in it?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ultimate Hulk43
Well, do you? Give reasons as to why you do or why you don't.

Robtard
Originally posted by Ultimate Hulk43

Yes, the ancient Greeks were meticulous in respects to writing; there's proof that it existed, and that they factually believed in their pantheon of gods.

P.S. There's probably another thread about Mythologies in here.

Rogue Jedi
you mean Zues and the cracken and all that stuff? NO.

Robtard
Looks real to me.

http://mos.stanford.edu/ee272/proj00/kraken/kraken.jpg

Ultimate Hulk43
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
you mean Zues and the cracken and all that stuff? NO.

Lol, no, not the Kraken, just Zeus & the other Gods. I believe in it to some degree but I'm not too entirely sure.

Rogue Jedi
Lol, no, not the Kraken, just Zeus & the other Gods. I believe in it to some degree but I'm not too entirely sure. I would bang the HELL outta Aphrodite, though. stick out tongue

Ultimate Hulk43
Originally posted by Robtard
Yes, the ancient Greeks were meticulous in respects to writing; there's proof that it existed, and that they factually believed in their pantheon of gods.

P.S. There's probably another thread about Mythologies in here.

Not being sarcastic but what proof did they have that there were Gods with powers that watched over us?

Ultimate Hulk43
I would bang the HELL outta Aphrodite, though. stick out tongue

I'd bang Athena. Happy Dance

Rogue Jedi
maybe they can make an RJ samwich outta me.

Robtard
Not being sarcastic but what proof did they have that there were Gods with powers that watched over us?

None, as far as factual proof, what do we have of any gods or God(?), religion is based on faith.

I am saying, there's proof that they believed in their gods.

KidRock
Zeus, Poseidon and them are just as "real" or "fake" as the god everyone prays to today.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by KidRock
Zeus, Poseidon and them are just as "real" or "fake" as the god everyone prays to today. and here we go...... wink

ragesRemorse
Lol, no, not the Kraken, just Zeus & the other Gods. I believe in it to some degree but I'm not too entirely sure.

There is a writer and a scholar Zecharia stitchen whom wrote the six Earth chroanicla books. He believed that the Greek Gods were actually an advanced species of humans from another planet, poorly translated by the Greek's. The advanced humans are from the planet nibiru supposedly, and came to Earth experiementing in genetic creations, hence the minotaur and such. Yeah i know it sounds far fetched by the guy actually believes it along with a slew of other conspiracy theorists, check out the book 12th planet, silly but fun read.

personally, im not sure that a race of meti humans whom were so interested in Earth and humanities choices exist nor ever existed. If they did exist, why are they not striking us down and cursing us for not sacrificing in their honor anymore

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
There is a writer and a scholar Zecharia stitchen whom wrote the six Earth chroanicla books. He believed that the Greek Gods were actually an advanced species of humans from another planet, poorly translated by the Greek's. The advanced humans are from the planet nibiru supposedly, and came to Earth experiementing in genetic creations, hence the minotaur and such. Yeah i know it sounds far fetched by the guy actually believes it along with a slew of other conspiracy theorists, check out the book 12th planet, silly but fun read.

personally, im not sure that a race of meti humans whom were so interested in Earth and humanities choices exist nor ever existed. If they did exist, why are they not striking us down and cursing us for not sacrificing in their honor anymore excellent point.

KidRock
and here we go...... wink

It really does make me laugh when people today laugh and say "how could people possibly believe in a god of the ocean and hades and all that back in the day" as they walk off to attend Church.

Rogue Jedi
It really does make me laugh when people today laugh and say "how could people possibly believe in a god of the ocean and hades and all that back in the day" as they walk off to attend Church. *watches as thread spirals downward*

and I dont attend church. too full of hypocrites. My church is within me.

Robtard

personally, im not sure that a race of meti humans whom were so interested in Earth and humanities choices exist nor ever existed. If they did exist, why are they not striking us down and cursing us for not sacrificing in their honor anymore

What? The Egyptian pantheon gets no love.

Rogue Jedi
no

KidRock

too full of hypocrites. My church is within me.

I agree with both statements.

Rogue Jedi
I agree with both statements. me too.

Quiero Mota

This post reminds me of that old Star Trek episode where Capt. Kirk and them find a distant planet where the Greek gods have gone to live, since no one on earth worships or believes in them anymore.

I haven't seen that episode in like 20 years, but this post automatically opened up the flood gates of my memory.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
This post reminds me of that old Star Trek episode where Capt. Kirk and them find a distant planet where the Greek gods have gone to live, since no one on earth worships or believes in them anymore.

I haven't seen that episode in like 20 years, but this post automatically opened up the flood gates of my memory. PLEASE tell me you are not a trekkie, holmes.

Quiero Mota
PLEASE tell me you are not a trekkie, holmes.

No.

Rogue Jedi
No. Bueno....Yo te amo, mucho. stick out tongue

Quiero Mota
Bueno....Yo te amo, mucho. stick out tongue

I'm not like that. stick out tongue

(but the ancient Greeks were)

Rogue Jedi

(but the ancient Greeks were) seguro? besa mi, pappi. shifty

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Robtard
What? The Egyptian pantheon gets no love.

in my book, it surely does big grin

ragesRemorse

I haven't seen that episode in like 20 years, but this post automatically opened up the flood gates of my memory.

i want to go there

Rogue Jedi
in my book, it surely does big grin where is this book? may I have a copy?

Strangelove
It's certainly one of the most interesting of the mythologies, but no, I don't believe in it

Rogue Jedi
I believe in self preservation.

Alfheim

(but the ancient Greeks were)

HA HA. I dont know spanish but I can guess what he said. laughing out loud

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Alfheim
HA HA. I dont know spanish but I can guess what he said. laughing out loud he is shy, he'll come around. stick out tongue

Alfheim
he is shy, he'll come around. stick out tongue

Oh yeah. Theres an error in your sig. Its "You are not your ****ing kahkis." stick out tongue :

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Alfheim
Oh yeah. Theres an error in your sig. Its "You are not your ****ing kahkis." stick out tongue : good eye. laughing

smoker4
*watches as thread spirals downward*

and I dont attend church. too full of hypocrites. My church is within me.

Heehee, *enters your church*

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by smoker4
Heehee, *enters your church* come on in, Leon!!!

Alliance

LOLSTOPMAKINGTHREADS.

Rogue Jedi
what? it's not a bad thread.

ADarksideJedi
It is very interesting how the greeks came up with all the gods to worship and the little stories told by each and everyone of them.However I am a christian and they are false to me.
I do not understand how someone can believe in alot of gods and not just one.Would you be convice that there are alot of gods to worship and remember?
It would be hard to keep up with them.THey do have the heaven and hell right which is surprising.But no I don't belive in mythology.As interesting as the stories are.jm

Bardock42
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
It is very interesting how the greeks came up with all the gods to worship and the little stories told by each and everyone of them.However I am a christian and they are false to me.
I do not understand how someone can believe in alot of gods and not just one.Would you be convice that there are alot of gods to worship and remember?
It would be hard to keep up with them.THey do have the heaven and hell right which is surprising.But no I don't belive in mythology.As interesting as the stories are.jm

Well, you just believe in a different mythology. For some reason one God seems more likely to you than many.

chillmeistergen
I think a number of Gods, would be much more likely than there being being one omniscient one. Maybe someday there'll be a thread about Christian mythology, and whether it's still valid.

Schecter
religion forum

Lara
I myself am pagan so I follow similarly as the greeks but not exactly.

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by Lara
I myself am pagan so I follow similarly as the greeks but not exactly.

I accidentally ended up taking part in a pagan ceremony type thing once, in Bali after a long night out. One of the funniest night outs I've had.

Lara
what did it entail?

chillmeistergen
what did it entail?

Well we sort of joined this group, and all held hands in this big circle, then we had to like close our eyes and one woman started making sort of a humming noise, then everyone else started. This was all done on a beach by the way. Then, at the end of it we all had to pour a glass of water into the sea. Then after that, there was sort of another smaller circle round a bonfire, we left just after that.
I think it was something to do with giving thanks to the elements, not sure if it was a pagan thing though. Was just pretty funny for us drunk lads to have somehow got involved in.

Lara
laughing out loud

yeah well there are lots of different denominations very much like there are in christianity and they all have their own way of doing things.
It sounds like a celebration of the lady.
ruler of the moon, water, fertility, intuition, I could go on.
I'm a solitary practitioner cause I find group work weird and over exagerated.
So being drunk I'm guessing you found it, shall we say, a tad hilarious. laughing out loud

Bardock42
laughing out loud

yeah well there are lots of different denominations very much like there are in christianity and they all have their own way of doing things.
So being drunk I'm guessing you found it, shall we say, a tad hilarious. laughing out loud

I am not drunk and the idea cracks me up.

chillmeistergen
laughing out loud

Yeah it was utter hilarity, I was so close to bursting out laughing when all the humming started. I'm sure the lass who's hand I was holding thought I was possessed, due to my shaking.

Lara
quite possibly laughing out loud
how did you get involved in it?

chillmeistergen
It was quite weird, we were in like a small sort of cafe/bar after our night out at about 3am, winding down n drinkin n that. N than some woman came n said do you want to help us give thanks for the water, in quite broken English, n we were like - 'sounds funny' so yeah we just did it.

Lara
one of those "why not" moments eh?

§P0oONY
It's as believable and factually accurate as Christianity and all other religions.... So no..... I don't believe in it because it's totally unbelievable and stupid.

amity75
I WISH Greek mythology were real. Perseus slaying the Kraken is somehow much more cooler than Jesus feeding 5000 or whatever.

debbiejo

I haven't seen that episode in like 20 years, but this post automatically opened up the flood gates of my memory. And Apollo wasn't very happy about it either.. sad

And it didn't end with the blending of the male and female elements......Oh, shame on them. It wasn't true worship.

chillmeistergen
one of those "why not" moments eh?

Haha, yep, definitely one of those moments. Was well worth it.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Schecter
religion forum

Lara
I suppose this does kinda belong in the religion forum. yes

JacopeX
Well, do you? Give reasons as to why you do or why you don't. Mythology.

Nuff said. smile

Bardock42
Originally posted by JacopeX
Mythology.

Nuff said. smile

Like Christian Mythology?

smoker4
Zing, burn etc.......

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Bardock42
Like Christian Mythology?

But funner...

Goddess Kali
Originally posted by JacopeX
Mythology.

Nuff said. smile

Greek Mythology is far cooler than Christian Mythology though

BobbyD

No. It's fantasy land.

Mirai Gohan
I believe that Greek Mythology exists although a few things may have been ovexaggerated like the size of the Titans since they have to at least be over 400 ft tall. I believe that the Gods, however, may have existed at one time or another & may still exist today. They were truly nothing more than humans with powers that thought of themselves to be better than regular "mortals".

Creshosk
PLEASE tell me you are not a trekkie, holmes. I am... *looks at his own user name*

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi

When did you become a Christian???

Of course the same could be said in reverse "I do not understand how someone can believe in just one but not in alot of gods".

As to me... do I believe in Greek mythology? Do I believe the gods and the like are real? No, most likely aspects of nature myths, manners in which natural cycles were explained and understood by given it more human identity.

Mirai Gohan
I believe in Greek Gods but I think it was have been exaggerated a bit.

Jim Reaper
Originally posted by SpearofDestiny
Greek Mythology is far cooler than Christian Mythology though

No doubt... A swan banging a queen, who can't enjoy that?

SpearofDestiny
Originally posted by Mirai Gohan
I believe that Greek Mythology exists although a few things may have been ovexaggerated like the size of the Titans since they have to at least be over 400 ft tall. I believe that the Gods, however, may have existed at one time or another & may still exist today. They were truly nothing more than humans with powers that thought of themselves to be better than regular "mortals".

You are right, they do exist.

I have sex with Zeus once droolio

Mirai Gohan
Are you gay?

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by SpearofDestiny
You are right, they do exist.

I have sex with Zeus once droolio

Learn what tense to use.

Mirai Gohan
laughing out loud

dadudemon
Are you gay?

He is ridiculously gay...so gay, that he makes people on death row happy.

Mirai Gohan
Okay....confused

lil bitchiness
No. Thats why its ''mythology''

WrathfulDwarf

Sure, why not? 2,000 years from now no one will believe I once existed. All my records will either disappear or be lost. Future generations will be too busy dealing with their own problems they're not even going to bother to waste time or research on someone like me.

So, back at you....Do I exist?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Sure, why not? 2,000 years from now no one will believe I once existed. All my records will either disappear or be lost. Future generations will be too busy dealing with their own problems they're not even going to bother to waste time or research on someone like me.

No, I am too busy dealing with my own problem to notice. eek! stick out tongue laughing

Quiero Mota
I once cosidered getting a tat of Athena, in her famous presentation where she's standing with Medusa's shield, and the owl resting on her spear. But I already had a tat of the Virgin Mary, so that would seem a little contradictory.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
No, I am too busy dealing with my own problem to notice. eek! stick out tongue laughing

*jumps up and down*

But I'm here! Look at me!

lil bitchiness
I once cosidered getting a tat of Athena, in her famous presentation where she's standing with Medusa's shield, and the owl resting on her spear. But I already had a tat of the Virgin Mary, so that would seem a little contradictory.

Oh that reminds me.

I have a medium sized statue of Minerva in my room. I like it a lot, and I usually place my books near her.
Seems to work. Im about to finish my MA.

Shakyamunison
*jumps up and down*

But I'm here! Look at me!

Who? What? confused stick out tongue

Mirai Gohan

I'm sorry, were you saying something important? confused

WrathfulDwarf
I'm sorry, were you saying something important? confused

Yes, I'am...were you?

Mirai Gohan
Nah, you weren't saying anything irrelevant.

SelphieT
I don't believe in Greek/Roman Mythology, but its the most interesting religion to me. I love all the stories smile

debbiejo
Me too.

SelphieT
Originally posted by debbiejo
Me too.

Today I re-learned their version of how the world came to be. So fun!

Wonderer
The Greek mythology is real if you experience the world as such, just like everyday experiences and paranormal realities boil down to individualk experience. I believe that enything can be real if you can experience it. Certain individuals are higher developed in terms of their spiritual awareness, which is because of the number of lifetimes they have lived in the past. We are all on our own journey, and eventually we experience everything there is to experience.

Alfheim
Originally posted by SelphieT
Today I re-learned their version of how the world came to be. So fun!

Yeah but they were always stabbing each other in the back and stabbing mankind in th back. Hell didnt they punish Prometheus for teaching men how to use fire? Sounds pretty ****ed up to me.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Wonderer
The Greek mythology is real if you experience the world as such, just like everyday experiences and paranormal realities boil down to individualk experience. I believe that enything can be real if you can experience it. Certain individuals are higher developed in terms of their spiritual awareness, which is because of the number of lifetimes they have lived in the past. We are all on our own journey, and eventually we experience everything there is to experience. Well you know, that is true. People experience what they really want too. It's all in the mind.

Victor Von Doom
^Idiot.

debbiejo
No I'm not. Everything starts in the mind. Look at everything created by inventors. You feel it, touch it, imagine it real good, then it's made real.

Victor Von Doom
Your comment wasn't necessarily wrong.

I was just saying.

You are one.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Your comment wasn't necessarily wrong.

I was just saying.

You are one. Basing your opinions on biased interpretations or hidden assumption?

Victor Von Doom
You like it in the assumption.

debbiejo
Certain agendas with hidden assumptions, assume ........wtf.....Where's my book!

chillmeistergen
You really are one, debbiejo.

debbiejo
Are you capsulizing on an element of inconclusive non subjective rational and speculating on the conclusions made with retrospect of all the facts and basing your opinions of them? Could you please explain further in an intelligent way?

Darth Macabre
I worship Helios on a daily basis.

debbiejo
As does those in the OT and those in the NT, not knowing.

Wonderer
Well you know, that is true. People experience what they really want too. It's all in the mind.
I wouldn't say it's all in the mind and meaning that therefore not real, but that it is in the mind, while the mind can experience different dimensions of reality and awareness. So, all experiences happen via the mind and are all very real. Like the Tibetan Buddhists say: things are all psychological, without meaning to say that things are 'merely' psychological. Because the psychological experience is ultimately very spiritual.

Darth Macabre
As does those in the OT and those in the NT, not knowing. Surprisingly somewhat truthful.

chickenlover98
greek mythology over exxagerates everything. they make natural disasters into work of gods

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by chickenlover98
greek mythology over exxagerates everything. they make natural disasters into work of gods And Christianity doesn't? roll eyes (sarcastic)

debbiejo
Originally posted by Darth Macabre
Surprisingly somewhat truthful. Yeah, well they can be somewhat fun...The Greek Gods and stuff. Just for fun's sake mind you.

Darth Macabre
Yeah, well they can be somewhat fun...The Greek Gods and stuff. Just for fun's sake mind you. Just for "fun's sake"? Did you really just say that about a religion?

debbiejo
The celebration part of it, yeppers, well, not really, but I would if somebody asked me to.

*Toasts to Artemis*

She is the lady of the wild things!!

wink1

leonheartmm
Are you capsulizing on an element of inconclusive non subjective rational and speculating on the conclusions made with retrospect of all the facts and basing your opinions of them? Could you please explain further in an intelligent way?

POSTMODERNIST!!!!! stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.