Keaton as Bruce/Batman

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bat Dude
Ok, I know there are a lot of Keaton Batman haters out there, but here me out. These are the things that promote the fact that Keaton did a great Batman and a decent Wayne, AND was actually a good choice for the role...

Warning: LONG POST

1. His physical appearance... Now before you say "He was horribly miscast for the role", hear me out. When you have a 6 foot something muscle guy with lots of money, and the reports of the Batman's appearance is 6 foot something muscle guy with high tech equipment, you can sorta put the pieces into perspective that he is Batman. With Keaton, the reason he was shunned by many was actually a great cover. I mean, a lot can't imagine Keaton's Wayne being Batman, as the reports are Batman's a "6 foot bat" when Keaton to my knowledge is not 6 foot. It's a different route then the classic "playboy cover up". And to add on it, and so no one can say, "Well, the criminals see that he isn't 6 feet tall." Well, that's true, they did see him, but Batman would own them to the point where they were unconscious and when they wake up they don't remember all that much(the one thug on the rooftop who got kicked) or they were in such a state of shock that they went dillusional and recounted what they thought they saw. (the other thug on the rooftop)

2. His quirkiness as Wayne... He was just so quirky and messed up in the head in 89. The audience can totally believe that Keaton's Wayne is crazy enough to put on a bat costume and fight criminals, but the characters have no clue because Keaton's Wayne doesn't fit the description of the Batman that the papers printed in the movie.

3. His costume. In 89, when the two thugs are on the roof and they see Batman for the first time, and his cape forms into "wings", it is something that can really frighten a criminal, as they are a "cowardly, superstitious lot". And if you make the belt black and remove the oval, he would look like a "giant bat-thing", which would frighten anyone. And if you add all the rumors that circulated during the movie, like "They say he can't be killed. They say he drinks blood." It all fits into something that could very well work and scare most thugs.

4. His attitude. When in the costume, he had an attitude that was perfect for the mood of the film. His eyes were badass and his loner ways all worked well. And his fighting was well thought out, too. I mean, Batman wouldn't overextend himself by attacking first (like in Forever and B&R) unless he had an opening. For most of the fights with Joker's gang, he was on the defensive, waiting for the enemy to attack so that he can see what they are planning before he makes a bold move to go on the offensive. (The only times he was purely offensive was against the two thugs on the rooftop and against the Joker in the cathedral. Everything else was well thought out defense and quick exploitation of weaknesses)

You may feel otherwise, but that's the way I see it...

sindahouse
I have to totally agree. He had the best look. Its a shame the movie was based more on the joker than batman. No one looked as scary as Keaton. Who would have every thought. but his face just seems to really fit into the batman outfit. Its as if he was made for it. It suited him best. Wish they could combine the Keaton batman look, the Tim Burton Gotham city look and the Nolan story all in one. That would be dam good. All that would be missing would be someone to direct a decent fight scene.

Ulysses
Keaton nailed Batman. Bale nailed Bruce Wayne.

My opinion anyway.

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Originally posted by Ulysses

My opinion anyway.

They are the best Batmen.

Il.Mozalini
Don't get me wrong; Keaton played a GREAT balding snowman in Jack Frost. His portrayal as Batman....eh...not so much.

TheMercurial
Originally posted by Bat Dude
Ok, I know there are a lot of Keaton Batman haters out there, but here me out. These are the things that promote the fact that Keaton did a great Batman and a decent Wayne, AND was actually a good choice for the role...

1. His physical appearance... Now before you say "He was horribly miscast for the role", hear me out. When you have a 6 foot something muscle guy with lots of money, and the reports of the Batman's appearance is 6 foot something muscle guy with high tech equipment, you can sorta put the pieces into perspective that he is Batman. With Keaton, the reason he was shunned by many was actually a great cover. I mean, a lot can't imagine Keaton's Wayne being Batman, as the reports are Batman's a "6 foot bat" when Keaton to my knowledge is not 6 foot. It's a different route then the classic "playboy cover up". And to add on it, and so no one can say, "Well, the criminals see that he isn't 6 feet tall." Well, that's true, they did see him, but Batman would own them to the point where they were unconscious and when they wake up they don't remember all that much(the one thug on the rooftop who got kicked) or they were in such a state of shock that they went dillusional and recounted what they thought they saw. (the other thug on the rooftop)

2. His quirkiness as Wayne... He was just so quirky and messed up in the head in 89. The audience can totally believe that Keaton's Wayne is crazy enough to put on a bat costume and fight criminals, but the characters have no clue because Keaton's Wayne doesn't fit the description of the Batman that the papers printed in the movie.

3. His costume. In 89, when the two thugs are on the roof and they see Batman for the first time, and his cape forms into "wings", it is something that can really frighten a criminal, as they are a "cowardly, superstitious lot". And if you make the belt black and remove the oval, he would look like a "giant bat-thing", which would frighten anyone. And if you add all the rumors that circulated during the movie, like "They say he can't be killed. They say he drinks blood." It all fits into something that could very well work and scare most thugs.

4. His attitude. When in the costume, he had an attitude that was perfect for the mood of the film. His eyes were badass and his loner ways all worked well. And his fighting was well thought out, too. I mean, Batman wouldn't overextend himself by attacking first (like in Forever and B&R) unless he had an opening. For most of the fights with Joker's gang, he was on the defensive, waiting for the enemy to attack so that he can see what they are planning before he makes a bold move to go on the offensive. (The only times he was purely offensive was against the two thugs on the rooftop and against the Joker in the cathedral. Everything else was well thought out defense and quick exploitation of weaknesses)

1- if the guy isn't muscly, it makes it harder to imagine him being able to survive being Batman. Being physically unfit is a great cover, until the criminals take advantage of it and kill you with ease....
Bale's Batman did a great job of providing distance between his Wayne and Batman persona's by his acting. (swimming in the hotel, and "drunken" speech at party.) He didn't need to look unlike Batman, because that's what the mask is supposed to be for.

2- Begins shows Wayne's dedication, more than just "quirkiness". I think being a bit eccentric could lead someone to take an obsessive interest in cheese or something, but to dedicate your life to fighting criminals, Bale's portrayal showed more determination and willpower.

3-costume has nothing to do with the actor.

4- To me, Keaton's Batman was pretty good, and I actually really like the first two movies. That said, Bale's voice when he's Batman is perfect. He brings across the cold, powerful force of Batman so well, that to be honest, I dont think there's any real comparison between the two.

Im a fan of the first two, and the most recent Batman movies, but to be fair, Keaton was probably not the best choice for Batman. That said, they could have done worse......imagine Sylvester Stalone in the batsuit.

NoFate007
If you want to give yourself a headache, try to think of what Stallone would sound like if he was trying to do the "Swear to me!!" scene. The "Batman voice" + Sly's normal voice = ????????

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Il.Mozalini
Don't get me wrong; Keaton played a GREAT balding snowman in Jack Frost. His portrayal as Batman....eh...not so much.

yep that pretty much sums it up for me as well.Keaton actingwise was fine as batman,he just wasnt a very good Bruce Wayne.as we talked about before BatDude,Keaton just tried to copy Chris Reeves performance as Superman being macho and cool as batman but a dork as bruce wayne.That works for superman,that doesnt work for batman.Kilmer played Bruce wayne the way Bruce wayne is suppose to be.Cool,calm and suave with the women and sure of himself.Thats why until Bale came along,Val Kilmer was my favorite Bruce wayne.Keaton I admit was the better batman but Kilmer was the better bruce Wayne.However Bale blows both of them away in the water.He is easily by far the best Bruce Wayne AND Batman.Mercurial pretty much said it best on why Bale has been the best to play the part so far.

Ultimate Hulk43

braz
Bale was the best IMO, he had every aspect that Bruce Wayne/Batman had in the comics, I mean, he was psychotic(the way he'd get that look in his eyes like they were just burning with hatred and anger like in Year One), he had the build for it which is very important IMO, you can wear things like a tux as Bruce Wayne to cover your body, and plus, thats what the mask is for as Batman like merc said. If Batman/Bruce isnt in good shape, then hes gunna get his a$$ handed to him every once in awhile: The scene on the top of the tower, where that black dude just owned Batman h2h, and come on, that was just a freakin goon, that wasnt even like a martial arts expert or anything. Now thats embarrassing. Two main reasons I like Batman Begins more: 1. Not having the body and stamina for it and 2. that scene with the goon utterly kicking Batmans butt.
However, I did like the costume and Batmobile on 89/Returns, but not quite as much as the new ones which had a more realistic edge which I liked more.

Darth Martin
The problem with the movies before Batman Begins is like sindahouse pointed out. The movies focused more on the villains than Batman himself. It says Nicholson befor Keaton or Tommy Lee Jones and Jim Carrey before Kilmer or Arnold before Clooney. As a matter of fact I believe this is why Keaton quit the role.

Altar[1stONE]
"You want to get nuts? Come on! Lets get nuts! "

Nuff said

ps: someone find me that clip on youtube lol.

braz
Originally posted by Altar

Nuff said

big grin

DarthLazious
He is a great Batman but Bale is the best Batman yet.

George Clooney was the one who sucked as Batman and Bruce Wayne.

Alfheim
Originally posted by Altar

Nuff said

Yeah I loved that bit. Sorry I liked keaton I dont care. big grin

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Darth Martin
The problem with the movies before Batman Begins is like sindahouse pointed out. The movies focused more on the villains than Batman himself. It says Nicholson befor Keaton or Tommy Lee Jones and Jim Carrey before Kilmer or Arnold before Clooney. As a matter of fact I believe this is why Keaton quit the role.

well with Batman 89 it was appropiate that it said Nicholson before keaton because Nicholson had the majority of the screentime and Batman was just a supporting character and is much more accomplished as an actor.That changed for keaton in Batman Returns though because even though he again was just a supporting character in Batman-and thats one of the problems with the Burton Batman films,that time he had top billing.

SelinaAndBruce
I don't mind the heavy focus on the villains. We only get to see them for one movie most of the time anyway. A smart director would be able to develop the Batman Bruce Wayne character over a series of movies while making sure the villains were well known as well. I wish Burton had gotten to do Batman 3 sad

Mr Parker
oh thank god it ended after two movies.whew.that was too much as it was. mad

X-FAN
It sure is funny that back in 89 everybody loved this movie, now all of a sudden there are people that thinks it sucks. I always have and will think that Keaton was Batman. Don't get me wrong this new version is a great move in the right direction and probably needed update for the younger croud but my personal feelings is this new guy wasn't that great ,but he was ok.

xNIXSONx
Originally posted by Il.Mozalini

LMFAO laughing

and to xfan:

the 80s was a long time ago...they thought there would be flying cars and moon people in the year 2000...and this Keaton/Burton thing has been around for a while now, Batman Begins and Nolan put Batman in the right direction, away from the robin, batnipples, away from annoying musical scores and horrible soundtracks of the artist formerly known as Prince. Finally a little dignity, humanity and mercy. Batman Begins is one of my favourite comicbook/superhero movies

Mr Parker
Originally posted by X-FAN
It sure is funny that back in 89 everybody loved this movie, now all of a sudden there are people that thinks it sucks. I always have and will think that Keaton was Batman. Don't get me wrong this new version is a great move in the right direction and probably needed update for the younger croud but my personal feelings is this new guy wasn't that great ,but he was ok.

dude you should have posted this on the new hate towards batman 89 thread.geez where do you guys get this back in 89 people loved this movie and that now all of a sudden people think it sucks nonsense? roll eyes (sarcastic) as many people said over on the new hate towards batman 89 thread,countless numbers of people have ALWAYS hated the movie since back then.I myself was in juniour high at that time and everywhere I would go,my classmates had the same agreements as I did that the movie sucked big time,that it was boring as hell and that keaton was horribly miscast as batman.I know my friend bakerboy experinced the same thing.so dont know where you get all this nonsense that people loved it back then-well yeah of course there were some people that did,but countless other didnt.the new guy is the one and ONLY true Bruce Wayne/Batman.the others are phony imposters. big grin

xNIXSONx
Originally posted by Mr Parker
the new guy is the one and ONLY true Bruce Wayne/Batman.the others are phony imposters. big grin

yeah Bale was amazing. way better than half balding, pudgy, old Keaton, way better than Kilmer lol, and definately way better than Clooney (who admitted to deliberately portraying bruce/batman as a homosexual in Batman & Robin).

Bat Dude
Originally posted by xNIXSONx
LMFAO laughing

and to xfan:

the 80s was a long time ago...they thought there would be flying cars and moon people in the year 2000...and this Keaton/Burton thing has been around for a while now, Batman Begins and Nolan put Batman in the right direction, away from the robin, batnipples, away from annoying musical scores and horrible soundtracks of the artist formerly known as Prince. Finally a little dignity, humanity and mercy. Batman Begins is one of my favourite comicbook/superhero movies

How dare you say Danny Elfman's score is annoying! That score defines Batman musically! I bet I can get hundreds of people, even Mr. Parker and bakerboy, to say that Elfman's score is the true Batman score...

P.S. This thread has been dead for a while, why do people always bring it back?

bakerboy
Yes, Danny Elfman's score was simply amazing. You can feel the mistery and the spirit of batman in that music.

Sadly, Burton, Keaton and the movie werent at the same level.

xNIXSONx
How dare you say Danny Elfman's score is annoying! That score defines Batman musically! I bet I can get hundreds of people, even Mr. Parker and bakerboy, to say that Elfman's score is the true Batman score...

i didnt say Danny Elfman's batman theme was annoying lol, but if you ever watch the movie and those scores throughout the movie that just dont match the movie at all you know ?

Mr Parker
Originally posted by bakerboy
Yes, Danny Elfman's score was simply amazing. You can feel the mistery and the spirit of batman in that music.

Sadly, Burton, Keaton and the movie werent at the same level.

sad but true.matter of fact,that part where batman has rescued Vale from that art exhibit and is driving through the forest to get to the batcave is my favorite part.it was mysterious and cool.Danny Elfmans score was amazing and so was the batmobile,but yeah,sadly Burton,Keaton and the movie did not meaure up to Elfman's greatness.

sindahouse
lol... this thread is funny. People keep repeating themselves.. laughing laughing out loud laughing

No one looked as good as Keaton in the suit.. NO ONE. Wish I could say I loved the movies though. Those Burton movies are such a tease. I mean Batman had the look, Gotham had the look, batmobile had the look and the music score was the bom... All very dark. However, it was all looks. I can bare them, dont get me wrong, but I have to keep in mind that the Im watching a Joker movie, Or Penguin & Catwomen Movie... Still Keaton looked the best in the suit.. He just looked dark and scary. As Bats, he looked like he was really gonna f*** you up.. {excuse the french}

Arny and George both admitted that they wrecked the Batman Franchise of the 90's.... lol... Good one guys mad

Mr Parker

good question.yeah and just when you thought it was safe to go back into the water. mad

Roulette
Originally posted by xNIXSONx
yeah Bale was amazing. way better than half balding, pudgy, old Keaton, way better than Kilmer lol, and definately way better than Clooney (who admitted to deliberately portraying bruce/batman as a homosexual in Batman & Robin).

Agreed. Bale has the right voice, the right look...he's just perfect. Kilmer was alright, but he was too blond, haha. Clooney was just pure shit. o.o

Bat Dude
Originally posted by Roulette
Agreed. Bale has the right voice, the right look...he's just perfect. Kilmer was alright, but he was too blond, haha. Clooney was just pure shit. o.o

Just a question, but did you read the post above you?

Roulette
Just a question, but did you read the post above you?

Yes...but I don't visit the Batman forum too often. I wanted to have my say.

*Ahem*...sorry. embarrasment

*Walks off*

Bat Dude
Originally posted by Roulette
Yes...but I don't visit the Batman forum too often. I wanted to have my say.

*Ahem*...sorry. embarrasment

*Walks off*

s'ok... If you're not here often, then...

SelinaAndBruce
Keaton is still my favorite Bat and Bruce big grin

MrCampion
Keaton will always be Batman to me, although Bale isn't doing too shabbily.

Arahan
personal opinion:

Keaton > Bale > Kilmer > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Clooney

SelinaAndBruce
Overall I still prefer Burton's vision from Batman 1989. If it had a stronger story and a little bit more focus on Batman I think it would have been IMO darn near perfect.

I love Batman Begins too but I just feel like that movie was trying kind of hard overall.

And I still prefer Keaton's portrayal slighty over Bale's. Bale's Batman kind of was just there for me but hi Bruce is definitely more of what I would have imagined.

MrCampion
Keaton was a highpoint that was never quite reached again...even Bale's stint is not the same as what Keaton did with the part. Hard to believe that for some back then Keaton was not lauded as a perfect choice. Only with hindsight do some regard him as one of the best if not the best.
But unlike some whose views are expressed herein, I do not have any qualms about liking both Keaton and Bale. Why should there be a rivalry amongst each's fans?

Mr Parker
you see what you've done Batdude,dam why did you have to make this thread? mad people just arent going to let it die. mad well BECAUSE you made this thread and your responisble for people continuing to post here,im gonna have to bring back that tim burton is a moron thread to the top again. laughing thats the price you got to pay for this. stick out tongue

JackieCD
Keaten was cool, but Bale still rules.

Bat Dude
you see what you've done Batdude,dam why did you have to make this thread? mad people just arent going to let it die. mad well BECAUSE you made this thread and your responisble for people continuing to post here,im gonna have to bring back that tim burton is a moron thread to the top again. laughing thats the price you got to pay for this. stick out tongue

Not to bump a long dead thread or anything, but yeah, your right...

I'm responsible, so now I'm gonna make sure nobody ever posts here again...

This needs to be closed...

starlock
Closed why for?

Bale for me is a good actor and that is what partialy saves him, in no way do i believe he could be batman/bruce, he looks nothing like the batman/bruce i read or still read, nor does he bring to life the mystery of the bat..it was good writing that also saves bale,

But i like the movie, and will go see the next, but if you ask me he is way out of his league when trying to be bruce or batman

Bat Dude
Because this thread died a while ago... And it keeps getting bumped... (Like now)

Mr Parker
does that mean your going to pm a mod and ask them to close it? Because thats the only way people will stop posting on it.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by starlock
Closed why for?

Bale for me is a good actor and that is what partialy saves him, in no way do i believe he could be batman/bruce, he looks nothing like the batman/bruce i read or still read, nor does he bring to life the mystery of the bat..it was good writing that also saves bale,

But i like the movie, and will go see the next, but if you ask me he is way out of his league when trying to be bruce or batman

uh I think you made a mistake there.that you MEANT to say Keaton you could no way believe in him as bruce wayne/batman like so many other thousands because BALE "DOES" look very much like Bruce wayne from the comics.KEATON however doesnt even come close. confused

Grinning Goku
Originally posted by starlock
Closed why for?

laughing laughing laughing laughing

starlock
uh I think you made a mistake there.that you MEANT to say Keaton you could no way believe in him as bruce wayne/batman like so many other thousands because BALE "DOES" look very much like Bruce wayne from the comics.KEATON however doesnt even come close. confused

No mistake made

Mr Parker
then obviously you never read a batman comic in your life because if you did, you would know how foolish that post is because as everybody knows,Bale unlike keaton at LEAST looked the part.tall,muscular,full set of hair on his head.bruce wayne isnt the short,half bald, receding hairline, scrawny runt that keaton is. laughing laughing rolling on floor laughing laughing also if anybody is out of their league in playing him,that would be keaton,Bruce wayne doesnt behave in like a doofus the way keaton played him in 89 nervous around girls,all he did was copy chris reeves performance in superman acting macho as batman but a real doofus as bruce wayne,thank god for bale the one and only true bruce wayne/batman. Happy Dance

MrCampion
Please quit bashing on Keaton. can't we Batfans all get along? It may not seem it to you but we can like both Keaton and Bale. I do and so does at least one other poster I know.

SnakeEyes

You just named all the reasons why I didn't like Keaton as Batman/Bruce Wayne, lol.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Grinning Goku
laughing laughing laughing laughing

I know aint his posts hysterical. laughing He thinks Bale doesnt look like Bruce but Keaton does? laughing laughing laughing at least Batdude has good sound reasons for liking him.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by MrCampion
Please quit bashing on Keaton. can't we Batfans all get along? It may not seem it to you but we can like both Keaton and Bale. I do and so does at least one other poster I know.

What about his bashing of Bale? roll eyes (sarcastic) You bash Bale,you better expect to see keaton bashed.Thats fine that he likes keaton as Batman,but at least give good sound logical reasons for liking him like Batdude did.Not this moronic stuff like Bale looked nothing at all like Bruce wayne but keaton did crap. thast really grasping at straws to try and show keaton was better than Bale by sprouting off crap like that laughing laughing laughing

MrCampion
THere really should not be any bashing MrParker. Of either actor.

SelinaAndBruce
I don't see the big deal. I think both of them did fine in the Batman movies they were in. I think Keaton looked fine and so does Bale.

MrCampion
Exactly but the other posters seem to dleight in picking each other to shreds to let's let them have their fun. If they don't understand it by now then they don't want to.

I feel bad for those who think Keaton was accepted from the get-go. He was not. I should know, I was alive during that time when he was first cast. He was my generation's Batman. Now Bale is taking over and doing good so far.

Batman-Prime
Batman and Batman Returns were the best Comic Movies ever IMHO. I love the new Batman, but it isn't as good as the first two. Batman & Robin and Batman Forever were horrible. Val Kilmer was a bad choice and Cloney wasn't much better. Keaton has the charisma and the eyes wink. Bale is a good choice too, though Keaton was superior.

Just my 2 c.

sindahouse
Ah hell, both are good. Keaton had the eyes. Bale had the mojo

HueyFreeman

My opinion anyway. Agreed 100 percent. Bale is a better bruce wayne than keaton. Keatons Bruce wayne was off. His Batman however is better than Bales. It didn't surprise me that the criminals in the first movie though he was inhuman. Bale didn't have that fear when he changed voices and demeanor. He did however provide us with a look at Batmans combat skills which Keaton was lacking.

SelinaAndBruce
Yeah I think they both had their strengths and weakness but overall gave satisfying performances. I was able to accept them both as Batman.

HueyFreeman
Originally posted by HueyFreeman
Agreed 100 percent. Bale is a better bruce wayne than keaton. Keatons Bruce wayne was off. His Batman however is better than Bales. It didn't surprise me that the criminals in the first movie though he was inhuman. Bale didn't have that fear when he changed voices and demeanor. He did however provide us with a look at Batmans combat skills which Keaton was lacking. But at the same time Keaton had the intellgence. They both one up eachother on different aspects of the characters personality. I guess its to be expected considering how deep a character Batman is.

Mr Parker
i told you batdude,unless you pm a mod to close this thread,its never going to stay dead mad

Bat Dude
i told you batdude,unless you pm a mod to close this thread,its never going to stay dead mad

Ok, this should be THE last post in this thread... I just pm'ed a mod, and if he comes through, then this thread is HISTORY...

Goodbye, Keaton as Bruce/Bats thread, we knew ye well...

starlock
why so desperate to close a thread you started?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.