Mutations

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ultimate Hulk43
Can mutations like in movies happen for real?

Like Godzilla, could an iguana really be exposed to enough radiation to make it so large? If someone gets bitten by a spider what would happen? Scientific explanations please.

grey fox
Radiation does not make things bigger. It does make things cancer ridden however....

Ultimate Hulk43
So, is there any type of phenomenon that could cause this to actually happen in real life?

grey fox
Originally posted by Ultimate Hulk43
So, is there any type of phenomenon that could cause this to actually happen in real life?

Godzilla ?

Hmmm.

The size IS kinda possible, but none of the powers ect

Tyrant

Like Godzilla, could an iguana really be exposed to enough radiation to make it so large? If someone gets bitten by a spider what would happen? Scientific explanations please. Yes.

Hell, they even have reality shows about it.

Fishy
No.

What is it with stupid questions lately? If Godzilla could have existed he probably would have. Considering the amount of nuclear testing that has happened.

Crimson Phoenix

Like Godzilla, could an iguana really be exposed to enough radiation to make it so large? If someone gets bitten by a spider what would happen? Scientific explanations please.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that kinda stuff would never happen in real life. Most mutations that happen have a negative affect. Its very rare that you get positive mutations. A mutation may happen where, leta say, an iguana was 10% its original size, but it might also affct other processes, like it could have a higher risk to bone disease, or whatever

Magee
Mutations don't make things 100ft tall and enable them to shoot gas or fire or what ever from there mouth. Missing legs, eyes, cancer cells, reduction in size, missing body parts, no body parts. These are all possible but the most likely scenario when any living organism is exposed to a large amount of radiation is it dies.

Mindship
Feh. Forget mutations through radiation. Go with quantum mechanics, which basically allows for nearly anything to happen, given enough time. Problem: "enough time" means the universe would have to be trillions upon trillions of times its present age.

xmarksthespot
The size isn't possible, or at least hasn't been. The largest animal ever the Blue Whale, measures around 30 m and 200 tons. The largest land animal ever, Brachiosaurus, is estimated to have been about 25 m long and have weighed around 40-50 tons. IIRC Godzilla was supposed to be something like 50+ m tall and supposed to weigh tens of thousands of tons - the biological mechanics of such an enormous weight and frame basically make it impossible.

There's a phenomenon called island gigantism that allows animals to increase in size over generations when on isolated islands... but nothing that would be comparable to the fictitious giants.

chithappens
Well the government is making chimeras. I don't put anything out of the realm of possibility.

Accidental radiation - that is probably not likely, but with selective breeding combined with whatever else they are doing, who knows?

Magee
Chimeras as in lions that breathe fire? What the f**k?

Mindship
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
The size isn't possible, or at least hasn't been. The largest animal ever the Blue Whale, measures around 30 m and 200 tons. The largest land animal ever, Brachiosaurus, is estimated to have been about 25 m long and have weighed around 40-50 tons. I think they've found even bigger ones:
http://members.tripod.com/~Dinosauria/Seismosaurus.html
http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=scienceNews&storyid=2007-05-03T124153Z_01_SYD12924_RTRUKOC_0_US-AUSTRALIA-DINOSAUR.xml
http://www.fernbank.edu/museum/argentinosaurus.html

IIRC Godzilla was supposed to be something like 50+ m tall and supposed to weigh tens of thousands of tons - the biological mechanics of such an enormous weight and frame basically make it impossible.
I remember reading in a book somewhere that Godzilla was 330 feet tall (400 in the original movie) and weighed 65,000 tons.

The American Godzilla is supposed to be "only" about 500 tons.

xmarksthespot
I think he means chimeras as in embryonic or fetal stage organisms of one species being injected with multi/pluripotent cells from another species for research purposes. Usually these aren't developed beyond such stages but some have been taken to term and further e.g. pig-human chimeras. I don't see what relevance this has to species gigantism.Originally posted by Mindship
I think they've found even bigger ones:
http://members.tripod.com/~Dinosauria/Seismosaurus.html
http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=scienceNews&storyid=2007-05-03T124153Z_01_SYD12924_RTRUKOC_0_US-AUSTRALIA-DINOSAUR.xml
http://www.fernbank.edu/museum/argentinosaurus.htmlHehe cool learn something new every day... the last time I looked up stuff on dinosaurs must have been at least 10 years ago... memories...

ADarksideJedi
We know very little about what the Goverment does.So this would not surprise me.But I doubt it.jm

xmarksthespot
Shut up, Jackie.

inimalist
OMFG!!!!!!!

Teh guvrnmint is makin GZODILLA MONSTERS!!!1!!!11!!!

chithappens
I think he means chimeras as in embryonic or fetal stage organisms of one species being injected with multi/pluripotent cells from another species for research purposes. Usually these aren't developed beyond such stages but some have been taken to term and further e.g. pig-human chimeras.

That's more what I was getting @. Plus they have already cloned a human but killed the embryo at 32-cell stage (by fusing a human skin cell with a cow egg that had its' nucleus removed) and that was last decade LOL

grey fox
I think he means chimeras as in embryonic or fetal stage organisms of one species being injected with multi/pluripotent cells from another species for research purposes. Usually these aren't developed beyond such stages but some have been taken to term and further e.g. pig-human chimeras. I don't see what relevance this has to species gigantism.Hehe cool learn something new every day... the last time I looked up stuff on dinosaurs must have been at least 10 years ago... memories...

Did the scientists allow the pig-man to be born ?

inimalist
Originally posted by chithappens
That's more what I was getting @. Plus they have already cloned a human but killed the embryo at 32-cell stage (by fusing a human skin cell with a cow egg that had its' nucleus removed) and that was last decade LOL

do you have a link for that?

the only real scientist who I know to have claimed to have cloned a human was exposed as a fraud.

chithappens
Book source but it quotes the Boston Globe ("News of human-cow cell raises a ruckus." November 14, 1998)

I honestly do not know if you can look up old newspapers on the net. I know you can in the library but yea...

inimalist
weeeeeeeeeeeeird man smile

chithappens
Human cloning from cow eggs and human cells

Cloning news circa 2005

Ok found some links... explains what I meant without me having to type it, thank God.

Ultimate Hulk43
I could still kind of see Godzilla happening, he'd just be a little smaller.

chithappens
Well after I saw the human clone shit, chimera and some other off the wall crap, nothing sci-fi is impossible to me

inimalist
Human cloning from cow eggs and human cells

Cloning news circa 2005

Ok found some links... explains what I meant without me having to type it, thank God.

Nice

I thought you were talking about doing something more than just messing with individual cells or whatever. I THINK anything beyond what they are doing is illegal in humans.

I'll also look up the stuff about the Korean doctor, some of the info on those links may be behind, as like I said before, one of the scientists at the forefront of human cloning research was exposed as a fraud.

Ultimate Hulk43
Well after I saw the human clone shit, chimera and some other off the wall crap, nothing sci-fi is impossible to me

Hell, in this day & age nothing is impossible in my eyes.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Fishy
No.

What is it with stupid questions lately? If Godzilla could have existed he probably would have. Considering the amount of nuclear testing that has happened.

roll eyes (sarcastic) He does exist. The government is just hiding him from us.

chithappens
They say Christopher Columbus sailed the ocean blue and all that shit but never mention him cutting off the arms of Native Americans who didn't find a certain quota of gold by the end of the day or tossing babies into the forest or raping the women, so on and so on.

The powers that be are very influential. If they don't want us to know, we likely won't know unless some people do not mind risking their lives and that of their loved ones.

chithappens
Originally posted by inimalist

I'll also look up the stuff about the Korean doctor, some of the info on those links may be behind, as like I said before, one of the scientists at the forefront of human cloning research was exposed as a fraud.

I heard about that but didn't even bother to really research it at all. If you find out some more please post it.

I'm curious.

inimalist
They say Christopher Columbus sailed the ocean blue and all that shit but never mention him cutting off the arms of Native Americans who didn't find a certain quota of gold by the end of the day or tossing babies into the forest or raping the women, so on and so on.

The powers that be are very influential. If they don't want us to know, we likely won't know unless some people do not mind risking their lives and that of their loved ones.

if only the powers that be had the ability to stop the media from finding out about a certain blue dress

Symmetric Chaos

I had a history teacher (elementary school I think) who actually did tell us that the reason Columbus' funding was cut off was because he did so many horrible things that the queen wouldn't let him stay in charge laughing out loud

He didn't go into much detail though.

chithappens
Hehe, we will have to continue that somewhere else though. Way too off topic LOL.

I'm still wondering why some are so skeptical of huge mutations. Maybe not Godzilla size, but the government is always about three generations ahead technology wise than the public is. I'm including the use of satiliettes for anything, any sort of bandwidth, any sort of PC anything, etc.

Symmetric Chaos
I'm still wondering why some are so skeptical of huge mutations. Maybe not Godzilla size, but the government is always about three generations ahead technology wise than the public is. I'm including the use of satiliettes for anything, any sort of bandwidth, any sort of PC anything, etc.

Huge mutations have been made an integral part of SciFi. People just naturally assume that large scale mutations are something made up for comics or movies.

chithappens
Not sure why that is. Stem cell research even being public should have raised awareness but I guess not

inimalist
I heard about that but didn't even bother to really research it at all. If you find out some more please post it.

I'm curious.

http://www.livescience.com/strangenews/ap_051224_stem_cells.html

its really strange and disappointing. Apparently the vast majority of Chinese science is suspect of fraud, which makes me skeptical of all these articles I have written by people out of the university of Beijing...

edit: and another one http://www.livescience.com/strangenews/ap_051223_hwang.html

chithappens
Damn, how the hell did I miss that?

Hmm, looks like I need to do some online research later. It's 2007 now; maybe something else has happened.

Mindship
I'm still wondering why some are so skeptical of huge mutations. I think anyone Not in the genetic field really doesn't appreciate just what is involved in genetic manipulation. AFAIK, it isn't like flipping a switch. I would think that some traits, at least, are determined by "teams" of genes working synergistically to produce a given trait. Even then, to produce a desired trait (eg, huge size) out of context (context = rest of genome) could have unpredictable if not disastrous consequences for the overall organism. But I could be wrong.

inimalist
Originally posted by Mindship
I think anyone Not in the genetic field really doesn't appreciate just what is involved in genetic manipulation. AFAIK, it isn't like flipping a switch. I would think that some traits, at least, are determined by "teams" of genes working synergistically to produce a given trait. Even then, to produce a desired trait (eg, huge size) out of context (context = rest of genome) could have unpredictable if not disastrous consequences for the overall organism. But I could be wrong.

exactly. It isn't that at some point when we understand much more about genetics that we might be able to customize certain properties of creatures it would be possible, but even at this point, our clones are imperfect at best.

There have been some remarkable advances, like being able to produce spider silk in goat's milk, and in agriculture especially, but the days of being able to selectively effect qualities like size are long off.

Something like size is unfortunately mediated by much more than just a single gene. Bones and skeletal arrangements have evolved for a very limited range of variation within a species, organ placement is much the same. Hell, even the speed of conduction in nervous responses from head to toe would be alarmingly high. Were it even possible, basic biology will limit some of the excesses of what can be done with genetic engineering alone.

S_W_LeGenD

Beneficial mutations are rare and at the most, they help in the case of adaptation and do not transform you in to a "Super Living Being" like you saw in Godzilla movie. In most cases, mutations produce bad results or maintain neutrality.

And exposure to massive amounts of radiation (released from the explosion of an Atomic Bomb) will prove to be fatal for a living being. Such level of Radiation is in no way friendly to any living body.

S_W_LeGenD
The largest animal ever the Blue Whale, measures around 30 m and 200 tons.
This is true. No marine animal matches Blue Whale in terms of size.

The largest land animal ever, Brachiosaurus, is estimated to have been about 25 m long and have weighed around 40-50 tons.
Some dinosaurs in South America were bigger then Brachiosaurus and Diplodocus. Argentinasaurus is one true and proven example.

Though Seismosaurus and Bruhathkayosaurus are also potential rivals.

These 3 Titanosaurs exceeded 35 m in length and weighed more then 100 tons.

Here is a some information of Argentinasaurus: Click!

xmarksthespot
1) Mindship has already commented on dinosaurs. Congratulations on rehashing.
2) The Blue Whale is recognized and referred to as the largest animal ever, as it is the heaviest animal ever.

S_W_LeGenD
1) Mindship has already commented on dinosaurs. Congratulations on rehashing.
Firstly, learn to appreciate those who help you. And now note the following:

A) Mindship did not told you anything about "Bruhathkayosaurus" however, which might be the biggest dinosaur ever known.
B) And he did not showed you the real skeleton of Argentinasaurus..

But I do appreciate his efforts and I am not contesting with him.

The Blue Whale is recognized and referred to as the largest animal ever, as it is the heaviest animal ever.
Blue Whale is both the heaviest and longest marine animal ever known in the world. Which as a whole means that this whale is the largest marine animal in the world ever known. And do not forget that the word "large" involves "size" as well.

No marine animal has surpassed this whale in any category.

xmarksthespot
The Blue whale is the largest animal by mass and the largest animal by volume, to have ever lived, and as such is commonly referred to as the largest animal ever. no expression

But thank you... for regaling us with redundant sentences.

Maestro
Has there ever been cases of mutations benefitting an organism?

inimalist
Originally posted by Maestro
Has there ever been cases of mutations benefitting an organism?

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/mutations.html#Q1

Ultimate Hulk43
Has there ever been a case of mutations making animals larger?

Maestro
Originally posted by inimalist
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/mutations.html#Q1

I'm aware of that, but I meant in the sense of something being like a piece of shit beforehand, and then the mutation making it uber in comparison.

S_W_LeGenD
The Blue whale is the largest animal by mass and the largest animal by volume, to have ever lived, and as such is commonly referred to as the largest animal ever. no expression
Check this quote of yours: "The Blue Whale is recognized and referred to as the largest animal ever, as it is the heaviest animal ever."

You are implying here that since Blue Whale is the heaviest animal, it is the largest one. No! This is wrong.

Size and matter also are considered when you use the word "largest" in any case.

Meaning of word "Large" according to dictionary.com is: "Of more than average size, quantity, degree, etc.; exceeding that which is common to a kind or class; big; great: a large house; a large number; in large measure; to a large extent."

But thank you... for regaling us with redundant sentences.
I never knew that telling you a few more details along with involving a reference to a new thing would be redundant for you. But now I have realized that I have actually wasted my time.

Welcome for nothing.

Ultimate Hulk43
Originally posted by Maestro
I'm aware of that, but I meant in the sense of something being like a piece of shit beforehand, and then the mutation making it uber in comparison.

I doubt it's ever happened.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.