Men Behaving Badly (US)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

exanda kane
I just found out (and obviously shocked) that there was a US version of Men Behaving Badly. I'd never heard talk of it before.

Anyone seen it?

T.M
I haven't.. but American versions of British comedy shows usually suck.

pepperjeff
Originally posted by exanda kane
I just found out (and obviously shocked) that there was a US version of Men Behaving Badly. I'd never heard talk of it before.

Anyone seen it?

Actually it is quite good--by American TV standards. The first two seasons have a slightly different cast than the balance of the episodes. Certainly worth exploring.

pepperjeff
Actually, I stand partially corrected. There are only two seasons. The second one is a little more lewd. The first one is smarter. wink

exanda kane
I found out that Rob Schneider was in it, so I'm a little "argh *giggle*" et cetera et cetera, but I might try and find an episode. I can't see it working, but meh.

And no, I didn't start this topic simply to reinforce the fact that British comedy is top notch compared to their US counterparts. Coincidentally however, that is true. wink

Count Makashi
I found out that Rob Schneider was in it, so I'm a little "argh *giggle*" et cetera et cetera, but I might try and find an episode. I can't see it working, but meh.

And no, I didn't start this topic simply to reinforce the fact that British comedy is top notch compared to their US counterparts. Coincidentally however, that is true. wink

Because your British, i wanted to ask you, which is your favorite British comedy show, mine is Black Adder.(or how its spelled)

exanda kane
Dunno, mix between Red Dwarf, The Fast Show, The Office I guess.

I really like Arrested Development though, not all British.

pepperjeff

Rob Schneider is surprising well cast in this series. I do hate his films a lot.

nmensfinest
I personally rate Extras as the best British comedy. It owns the hell out of The Office imho.

exanda kane
I guess he is the character of Tony? Or are the names different?

Ushgarak
It was quite different, yes. I remember Simon Nye talking about it in interview, saying the American version was a little more surreal, or perhaps slightly absurd is a better way of putting it (I recall him talking about an American episode where one of the guys grows breasts, for example).

Done to match audience- the sheer laddishness of the British version wouldn't quite ring for US audiences, unless put into a wider context (e.g. Joey and Chandler in Friends, which is a similar relationship but only part of the set-up, not all of it).

The US version never really caught on as a phenomenon though, unlike the UK one. But I don't think it was down to 'crappy remake' syndrome, which is the normal fate of UK shows ported over like that.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.