The best lightsaber fighters . . .

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Ninja
This topic will probably start some heated arguments, but I feel it must be addressed. The topic is about the best lightsaber fighters. I feel that two of the most underated lightsaber fighters are Qui-Gon Jinn and Darth Maul. Darth Maul was certainly capable of holding his own against anyone with a lightsaber. He died because he got stupid and he payed for it . . . with his life. Could Darth Maul have taken on and defeated Mace Windu or Dooku? It's hard to say. Lightsaber are DEADLY. One slight miscalculation could be fatal. (Unlike a sword, all you need is to get touched the lightsaber . . .) But what about Qui-Gon Jinn? Dooku was his teacher (or so he claimed). Did Dooku teach (young) Qui-Gon Jinn the old style lightsaber fighting (in addition the new style)? Perhaps Qui-Gon knew both styles, but favored the new style (kinda like a martial artist who knows multiple arts but has a favorite). Confused yet?

In reality . . . the art of the lightsaber keeps evolving from movie to movie as GL (tries) to make the lightsaber art more visual. Compare the 'first' lightsaber duel of Darth Vader vs Ben Kenobi to the multiple duels at the end of AOTC. Perhaps I mixing apples with oranges? laughing out loud

Ushgarak
People tend to OVERRATE Maul, not the other way around! He was bloody good but not the all-conquering killer people make him out to be.

The first lightsabre duel isn't actually that different from Dooku in AOTC-if he had been facing himself, or a similarly aged guy, it would have been very similar indeed. But as he was facing young and fast opponents he had to play that conservative style differently.

Darth Ninja
What I meant is the very first lightsaber duel in ANH seems kinda silly compared to the duels in the prequel movies . . .

Ushgarak
Silly in what way? Rather perfect for a meeting of two Old Masters, I thought. Also has the benefit of being the most realistic swordfight of all of them, even if Vader is emplying a reverse grip for no reason and Obi-Wan does a pointless twirl...

yerssot
Dooku vs Qui-Gon, that would have been a nice duel

finti
dooku vs Maul would be better

Corran
Yoda is supposedly a good fighter, we may well see this in EP III:Yoda the flashing blade.

finti
I really hope thats all he flashes eek!

Corran
You know you so want to see the little green man.

yerssot
if Yoda is the swordsman, what's Mace then?

Ushgarak
Yoda's too short.

finti
for what, dont underestimate short people. ....red dwarf....smile

Dexx
Yes...i mostly agree on Maul. He is underrated. I dunno about qui gon jinn being the same way....he was very very good but died in a duel afterall. Dooku is good too but mace is better....i'd like to see that duel. Ofcourse yoda very good. And i guess Sidious won't be bad either..we'll see

Ushgarak
Yoda is too short for swordfighting. No matter how good he actually is the plain truth is that he would be better if he were not so small. He is having to compensate for it all the time.

ToMacco
Kenobi is the best.

yerssot
old or young? Padawan or Jedi?

Hayden'sgurl
Obi-Wan and Darth Maul is the best fight. Speaking of Ewan McGregor, I'm waching Moulin Rouge right now.

finti
dont talk about that crap in SW section....please

ToMacco
uh oh

Mujaffa
one of the best scenes

ToMacco
Obi-wan is the man, my friends.

yerssot
I'm the best saber fighter in SW

Mujaffa
well i challenge you...*drawes lightsaber, the yellow blade lights up my faces...how sexy*

yerssot
after you're done modelling, tell me

Mujaffa
tell you what?? how damn sexy i am in that yellow glance-light from my lightsaber...

yerssot
you want to fight me or seduce me?

master harmax
Actually if we are talking purely about sword fighting skills, then except for Maul, I'm really not impressed with any of the other fighters shown in the SW movies, either the OT or the prequels. I mean, none of the actors in the movies, i.e. Alec Guiness, or David Prowse, or Mark Hamill, Liam Neeson, Ewan Mcgregor, Hayden .... none of them are really sword fighters ... Alec Guiness and David Prowse especially. So most of those lightsabre fights, for me, have a kinda cosmetic look to them.

Except for Darth Maul. Because Ray Parks IS in fact i genuine martiall artist, and he looks like a real fighter using those swords.

I'm not talking about the characters here ... but of all the actors, Ray Parks is definitely the best fighter ... he's no actor, but he's a genuine fighter. He'd beat any of the other actors in a real fight. Which is why, I divorce the characters from the actors playing them. I mean ... Count Dooku would beat Darth Maul in a lightsabre duel. I just ignore the fact, that on screen, it's a bit of the stretch of the imagination to see that, cause Cristopher Lee wouldn't stand a chance against Ray Park in real life.

Artistic license, I guess.

Dexx
well..i guess no actor in the sw universe would. But, as a character, as still think Maul's one of the best. right there besides Dooku and MAce. Those are the trio. The last 2 have more class. And i'm dyin to see how sidious performs

yerssot
please,... die big grin

Ushgarak
Christopher Lee is a trained swordsman!

80 year old wrinklies regularly beat younger, flashier fighters in Kendo.

Julie
I like Dooku's ease when fighting....but the younger and flashier are also really cool to watch.....

Mujaffa
dooku like Vader....slow and not interested

Ushgarak
Well, Dooku's style is my favourite. It has brainpower behind it.

master harmax
Cristopher Lee certainly does stand out in the fighting sequences no doubt ... u can tell he's not bullshitting, and that he knows his stuff. It's just that, aged 80, I don't see him standing a chance in a real fight against Ray Parks. But of course, Count Dooku over Darth Maul anyday.

Ushgarak
Well, he probably couldn't, because he is a fencer, not a combat swordfighter, but the point is that an 80 year old beating a young martial artist is in no way odd.

Dexx
agreed.....*see Ueshibabig grin*
BUt then..it wouldn't matter who the best is...they're all arranged in the saga so that many eliminate eachother. Not necessarily the best being left alive.

master harmax
Well u know, if on screen, they hypothetically showed Dooku beating Maul ( because Dooku IS a stronger jedi than Maul ), that would be right of course ... the way they've been characterized Count Dooku, although an old man, is stronger than Darth Maul.

However, that would again create, in my mind, a tinge of unreality ... cause Ray Parks, is obviously stronger and faster and more powerful than Cristopher Lee, who, though trained in fencing, is NOT a combat fighter or a martial artist, which Ray Parks is .. and no matter how the fight director would try to cleverly disguise that, it would still definitely come out to a certain extent.

Julie
ah but you see you aren't supposed to see Ray Park or Christopher Lee....one problem with the way people see movies today is that they know far too much about them....therefore they are not impressed like they used to be

master harmax
I know I'm not supposed to see Ray Parks or Cristopher Lee ... but if they were ever shown on screen in a lightsabre duel, no matter how cleverly they covered it up, at some point it would be clearly to me as a viewer, that Ray Parks is a stronger and faster man than Cristopher Lee ... so although I would not be looking at Parks and Lee, but at Maul and Dooku .... it would apppear as if ... Maul is stronger and faster than Dooku ... but that of course is not true ... cause Dooku is the stronger sith ... that's where the artistic license thing comes in ... I would just ignore that part of it I guess.

Ushgarak
I doubt I would notice anything. And stronger and faster has little to do with it; it would be down to the portrayed skill. If Christopher Lee WAS a trained combat sword master then I doubt it would actually look any different.

finti
still Mauls close combat skill might be a problem to a fencer

Ushgarak
Yeah, we've already covered that, but as Lee isn't fencing in the film, and as I cannot see how he looks like a fencer trying to fight like a swordsman rather than just a swordsman, I just can't see this point.

Darth Ninja
It was obvious that Obi-wan and Anakin didn't have a chance against Dooku, while Yoda morte than held his own. Mace Windu's (suppossed) unusual lightsaber fighting style would've allowed him to hold his own against Dooku. Darth Maul's speed, ferocity and double-bladed lightsaber would have been interesting against Dooku's calculating precision. Qui-Gon's knowledge of Dooku's fighting style from his teachings (Dooku was Qui-Gon's teacher . . . or so Dooku claimed) would've certainly given him an edge in using counter-techniques. However, Darth Vader vs Darth Tyranus would be most interesting. Dooku would have the edge with skill. However, Vader with his awesome power from his anger (as we saw in AOTC) would more than compensate with sheer aggression and ferocity.

Ushgarak
Vader, as GL has stated, is too crippled to fight well. Dooku would beat him easily.

Darth Ninja
Vader's real strength comes from his anger. He had a lot more anger inside him than Darth Tyranus (Dooku) did. I read that Vader's Sith armor actually enhances his combat abilities even further, as was evident in the OT.

Ushgarak
Wasn't really THAT evident, and that is not canon. Anger or otherwise he still would have been for the chop. The PT combatants are a class ahead of the OT ones.

Darth Ninja
Darth Vader IS both PT and OT. I guess we'll just have to wait to see how good he is in his black Sith armor in Episode 3 . . .

Ushgarak
But he isn't crippled in the PT, is he? You know what I meant. Obi-Wan is both as well, but he has become enfeebled by then.

PT is all different.

finti
well I guess Vaders strength in the force might have aided him, and that he was full of dirty tricks too.
Guess he learned some from Dokku but the Count seemed to be a bit more gentleman figther while duelling with the blades

Ushgarak
To be honest, Dooku exhibited more tricks than Vader ever did.

The fact is that Luke, half-trained, as GL himself calls him, would never have been able to beat Vader if Vader had not been so inconvenienced by his injuries. It has been made clear that the OT combatants are not up to scratch!

master harmax
Darth Vader can't be beaten. Period.

yerssot
what was all the nagging about in other threads about "not overanalysing"? it's a kids movie, don't go all hyper about who's the best fighter

master harmax
Darth Vader can't be beaten. Period.

Ushgarak
Err... do you mean Vader in his prime? Because then that is possibly true. But by the OT, clearly otherwise.

mah
eh *shakes head*

yerssot
what?

master harmax
well i guess his prime.
but even in his old age ... very difficult ... just too powerful with the force.

Count Dooku is my second favourite sith though. I think the best piece of casting for episode 2. Wish they had shown more of him in the storyline ... it's a really good character.

BackFire349
yoda obviously.

finti
well all the fancy moves came in the NT, so if GL made EPIV today I guess Vader wouldbe a real bad ass fighting

Ushgarak
It doesn't matter about Vader's power with the Force. It is fairly clear that regardless of Force power, sabre skill counts a whole lot more (Dooku is MUCH better than Obi-Wan with the Force but needed a sabre to beat him).

And regardless of anger, power, or otherwise, GL made it clear that the OT combatants are not as good as th PT ones, and that incluides crippled Vader.

finti
true, but Vader hunted down the Jedi probably as a crippled too.
And I think Dooku would have big problems with martial art skills.

Ushgarak
You would have thought that of Yoda too... besides, they are unneccessary.

I would say that even as a cripple Vader is powerful and skilled enough to hunt down most 'ordinary' Jedi. The fights that we are seeing in the PT is from the best of the bunch, of course.

Darth Ninja
If Anakin had gotten angry (while fighting Dooku) to the point when his mother died (eye's glowing with fury), he would've beaten Dooku.

Ushgarak
Crap. You cannot just bring these things down to emotion and force power, in which Anakin is still a novice. Skill is vital and Dooku COMPLETELY outskills Anakin- not to mention Dooku also having considerable power.

Darth Ninja
Dooku is NOT an invincible, all-powerful, omnipotent lightsaber master. (Nor is Yoda for that matter.)

Highly skilled, he is, I will agree. However, one error/miscalculation in a lightsaber duel IS often fatal.

No matter how skilled any Jedi/Sith is with a lightsaber . . . someone else can always kill you.

Perhaps, Dooku's overconfidence (in his skill) will cost him . . . his life. laughing out loud

Ushgarak
Yes, someone CAN kill him. Even the best fighters can lose fights; it's just like tennis. But that is true whether Anakin is angry or not.

The point is we are trying to work out who is better than the other... then angry Padawan Anakin is not better than Dooku.

finti
Every style of fighthing have a weakness, the weakness being it doesent fit some other style to well. Like attacking violently (like Aniken did with Dooku) doesnt fit the elegant style(which is why Dooku beat Anaekin pretty easy) But the elegant,or Dooku`s style, have other styles it is fragile too so who knows.

BackFire349
yoda.

master harmax
I guess we are talking purely about lightsabre skills.

On a general level, Darth Vader could not be beaten in single combat. Just a pure lightsabre battle is a different issue though. I would have to go with Yoda.

mah
what do you mean Darth Vader could not be beaten? he was beaten

Darth Ninja
Since Yoda taught Dooku, he would know the weakness of Dooku's fighting style. wink
Another Jedi who would know Dooku's fighting style's weakness is Qui-Gon Jinn. smile
Since, Qui-Gon was (supposedly) Dooku's former Padawan (as Dooku claimed . . .) confused, he obviously would've seen Dooku use the old style. big grin
Though Qui-Gon fought (in TPM) using the new style, it's very possible that he was also trained in the old style (but prefered the new style). laughing out loud
(That may be an EU topic future SW authors may write about). confused

Ushgarak
Hang on, by that logic Dooku knows Yoda's weaknesses as well. You are applying it all both ways.

And do remember that a pure lightsabre battle is the important bit. It does not matter how in other ways Vader could fight; it is clear that the sabre is the way for a Jedi to kill another Force User regardless of other factors. As Mah pointed out, vader DID lose, and none of his great force power helped him- that fight was 99% sabre skill and nowt else.

BackFire349
yoda has no weakness's. havent you seen the commercial, yoda da man smile

master harmax
Vader was beaten when he was old and way over the hill. And furthermore, the guy who beat him happened to be his own son ... there were emotional involvements involved .... Vader could not bring himself to fight as ruthlessly with his son, as he did with someone else. But u leave aside his son ... and you take Vader NOT old and over the hill ... than in single combat ... with or without lightsabres ... he could not be beaten.

Ushgarak
Nah. Vader COULD kill Luke, as was the point. It was only when the Emperor was going to kill him that Vader changed his mind. In any case, Vader's powers were not affected by his age and crippled nature- only his sabre skill. I was reinforcing the point that it is sabre skill that counts when these people meet.

In any case, I imagine Anakin will be in his prime in Episode III, functionally the same as Vader. He will be beaten by Obi-Wan.

finti
Still think Maul would have kicked Dooku`s ass

Ushgarak
Not a hope!

Darth Ninja
Darth Maul would have a very tough time trying to kill Dooku. Maul almost got killed several times by Qui-Gon and he barely defeated him. Dooku probably would've defeated Maul.

finti
Maul defeated Qui gon pretty easy you must remember Maul fough two guys at the same time

Ushgarak
Yes, he was very, very good. But Dooku, I believe, was built up as being better.

BTW, I don't think he defeated Qui-Gon 'easily', by any means.

BackFire349
again, ill say yoda. he's a smaller target and can move fast.

Ushgarak
But he is also too short. Dooku and Yoda were well matched.

BackFire349
yoda wasnt even on teh offensive, he was just flipping, he wasnt even trying to hit dookuu.

Ushgarak
Errr, that is nonsense. Just about every blow he made was an attempt to outdo Dooku. He was 100% offensive, the only reasonable thing he could be seeing his enforced style.

finti
after Obi was trapped between those doors Qui gon was an easy match for Maul

Ushgarak
That was just how it went. But earlier in the fight they had seem well-matched, and on Tatooine QGJ was actually doing better than Maul.

finti
better than Maul on Tatooine? have we seen the same movie.
He ran off on Tatooine and he was winded after the short saber clash with Maul. To me it seemed that Maul just wanted to wear QGJ down in the Naboo fight.

Ushgarak
Yes I have seen the same movie and I saw QGJ doing well- as Nick Gillard described was the idea. In fact, he said of the cut sequence where Maul is thrown off the ramp he that in that fight, QGJ gets the better of Maul.

BackFire349
yoda barely threw any blows though. he took like 2 swings then just flipped. speaking of that, i got that movie today, i rented it early...new rules are that we arent allowed to buy anything before the release date sad but we can still rent, i think ill watch that tonight smile

Julie
Yoda was really quick.......lots and lots of flips....Dooku was cool and calm....Vader was full of anger...yet powerful strikes....Obiwan(young) was fierce and energetic....Maul was crazy....hmm I like them all

Darth Ninja
DM just got lucky against QGJ. eek!
I would've like to have seen how Anakin and Obi-wan would've stood up to DM together (had he lived and been in Dooku's place) at the end of AOTC. wink
I'm sure Yoda would've beaten DM easily. laughing out loud

finti
well Obi wan looked like a novice in AOTC compared to what he showed in TPM

Ushgarak
Oooh, I would hesitate to say that Maul got lucky against QGJ. It was a good fight; could have gone either way. QGJ slipped up first.

Obi-Wan has playing conservative in AOTC- less flashy than TPM but more skilled.

I just posted this analysis in the DVD thread but I will repeat it here- I have been looking at the AOTC Dooku/Yoda fight in slo-mo.

Did a slo-mo analysis of all the sabre fights; very interesting to see Nick Gillard's skill at work. The Yoda fight, in particular, merited close analysis. Seems he makes a lot of good attacks that he has not the reach to capitalise on; Dooku makes good of this weakness by focusing on attacks that Yoda has to draw away from. But Yoda is too fast for Dooku to get an advantage and Yoda has very good positional skill- in all the clinches in which they converse, Yoda is in a better position. The ironic conclusion is that Dooku is actually very good on the move.

Oh, and his one-handed fighting style is joyful; even better in slo-mo when you can see what extra freedom it affords him.

However, that was actually C. Lee for far less time than I had thought.

Dark Lord Djas
I am not really "all for" Darth Maul because alot of people think he is a real bad ass but in Star Wars reality he isn't. What did he ever do that was so great, now I can see Darth Vader, Emperor Palpatine, or even Count Dooku. And what did Maul do? Lets see, apprentice to Darth Sidious, Revealed to the Jedi that the Sith were still in existence, and was killed by a Jedi padawan. So please somebody tell me why they think that maul is so great.

mah
cause he looks cool. but yeah, dooku is better.

finti
He had cool moves and you forgott that he killed a well respected jedi master

Dark Lord Djas
Ah.... So that is the reason why people like him so much. He still isn't cool to me but thats my opinion. Also I can tell you that Vader could kill either Dooku or Maul but if it was just saber skills and nothing more then they would have the advantage. But if the force was involved then of course it is no competition Vader would win. And between Maul and Dooku, Dooku would win for two reasons. One he is fully trained and very well skilled. And two, they were going for a more powerful villian in AOTC. Maul may have good moves but those moves also could be his weakness.

finti
Oh REALLY

Maul was skilled as well but his arrogance got the upper hand , and the fact the way Obi beat him was really bad, it sucked big time. He could block all those blows but he couldnt handle a slow moving jedi flying through the air
In fact he more or less beat both Qui and Obi singled handed

Mujaffa
like i did to finti last week..

Ushgarak
Force power seems to have little to do with duels. I imagine QGJ to be the Force superior of Maul but that did not avail him. Sabre skill counts for a lot more; Vader would lose.

Rayfan27
Darth Maul is Definitly the best ok, so he mesed up and paid for it but has more skill. yoda was very impressive though! smile

Dexx
darth maul is a very good character but he's far from the best. Ush, i don't know if these separations are that accurate between saber skill and force power, in the movies. They are VERY linked. If one is sensitive to the force, how can the other one surprise him with an attack?
P.S.: watch something in slow motion. Just before Dooku cutting anakin's arm doesne't anakin just stand still for a second, like waiting for the blow? and dooku didn't inflict any flow on him..i checked dooku's moovement.

Ushgarak
Anakin realised he had been caught out.

Knowing something is coming and stopping it are two entirely different things. If you are outplayed with the sabre you are outplayed and that is it. Dooku is MUCH better than Obi-Wan with th Force but had to use his sabre to defeat him, nor did he use the same trick on Anakin twice once Anakin was prepared.

It is EXCEEDINGLY clear that once you are a reasonably trained Jedi then only by using the sabre do you have any chance of taking down a like-trained opponent. Yoy can use your Force powers to aid yourself in limited ways but sabre skill is by far the most important factor.

Darth Ninja
Exactly. That is one of the main reasons why Darth Maul and Darth Vader consider themselves warriors. They use the lightsaber more often than telekinesis, Force Lightning or other Force powers when dueling against Jedi.

Dark Lord Djas
What I was trying to say is that with the force Maul and Dooku are no match for Vader but without using it they would probably beat him. Although they might be able to do that Vader is still better than them. smile

queeq
But can one really wield a lightsabre well without the Force then?

Ushgarak
Frankly, Dooku struck me as not showing any less power than Vader... though at an older age, of course.

And queeq... well, it would be possible, with a LOT of training, for a normal guy to wield a weapon like that, as there ARE some real-life weapons that are as dangerous to the user as the opponent like a lightsabre is. But none quite THAT dangerous, and nothing as ludicrously self-destroying than Maul's sabre! All in all, compared relatively to a Jedi, you'd have to say no. And I would assume that it is only the Jedi's ability to sense things before they happen that allows them to intercept laser fire, and so on.

queeq
That was exactly my point, Ush. Thanks.

Of course, one can use a lightsabre. We can use sabres and swords, but we're talking about a weapon in a universe called SW. Deflecting laserbolts or even frantic attacks like OB1's when charging at Maul, would be nearly impossible for a non-Force user. So then, what's the point in using one, if only non-Force users would be defeatable, while they can choose from such a wide array of other lethal weapons.

Darth Ninja
Yes, a lightsaber would most certainly be dangerous to wield. Considering, that all you have to do is touch yourself with it to get injured.

queeq
Same with a sharp sword though. I don't think it's the wielding itself that is so dangerous, more that you're using it in a universe with many lethal weapons. To be able to best those with a sabre requires exceptional skills and undoubtably the Force.

finti
and some poor ass shooters

Ushgarak
A lightsabre is far more lethal to yourself than a sharp sword. There is no flat edge and even the merest brush will hurt you. You are as likely to hurt yourself as your opponent; swordfighting often involves contact with your weapon.

finti
No paper cuts there

queeq
Nevertheless, not hurting yourself is trainable. Welding torches are dangerous, yet people do handle them with hurting themselves.

Ushgarak
Yes, for sure, but a sabre is just a very, VERY dangerous thing to use! No good with any real-life sworfighting technique (except, again, fencing...) Maul's one being, as I say, ridiculous.

Darth Ninja
You can touch any part of a sword, even the blade (not recommended) without cutting yourself. You can NOT touch the blade of lightsaber without being injured. You would be better off touching white hot iron than a lightsaber blade. laughing out loud

queeq
Manydangerous can't be touched without getting hurt.

Now Maul's sabre I agree upon. That is EXTREMELY dangerous. But how many fencers or kendo fighters touch their own blades during fights????

Ushgarak
Kendo fighters all the time. Swordfighting very commonly involves light contact with your blade.

Epee or foil fencing is different but we all know they aren't fighting like that...

finti
we should introduce Axe fighting

Darth Ninja
You can use a sword to throw someone in some Japaneses sword fighting styles.

queeq
Like?

A light axe.... hmm, sounds like fun.

Darth Ninja
Impractical. A lightsaber would have a longer reacher. However, there are Vibro-axes in EU.

Mujaffa
and what heck that be??

queeq
Yes?

General Kaliero
Actually, in ROTJ, Lando has a vibro-axe in Jabba's palace. So they're not just EU.

queeq
But that's something with electroshocks or something, isn't it?

General Kaliero
No.... it be's vibro. As in, Moving blade...

Ushgarak
You know, a light-axe wouldnl;t HAVE to have a shorter reach... but what would the point of it be? An axe gives extra penetration, irrelevant to these weapons! And you would just reduce the amount of your weapon that was dangerous. It would be rubbish.

finti
I cant belive this one even made an issue laughing out loud

queeq
Got them! laughing out loud

Joel_Jivin
Yoda is definately the best... he's the most experienced!

Rogue Jedi
yoda, no question.

Vincent Rendar
...who is the best, tis very hard to say i think....as far as skills i'd have to say anakin, because even at such a young age he was able to take on dooku, and did you see dooku after the ight, he was panting quite heavily. had ani been a knight and had mroe experience it would hav been a done deal.

as for my favorite its darth maul, he moves very well wiht his sabre, plus he incoporates martial arts. he also looks fiece yet skilled and nto just wacking at a target. plus his saber is sooo cooooool.

Rogue Jedi
maul was a baddie, i agree on that, but yoda would have tore him a new one.

Vincent Rendar
yeah but yoda would tear anybody a new one..hes yoda man...lol....wonder if luke could have beaten obi-wan?

Rogue Jedi
no doubt. luke was stronger in the force. imagine if maul would have lived, reached middle age with more experience under his belt. man, talk about a bad bad man.

Ushgarak
Luke at what point? He's still only a Padawan equivalent by ROTJ and Obi-Wan's sabre skills even in TPM are far superior.

Vincent Rendar
ush has a point, honestly i think maul should have lived, he would have been way more interesting as a sith lord than dooku, hes all old and boring. plus his lightsaber sux

cookies2006
Yoda or luke but luke never really had any compatition,so.

Rogue Jedi
but youve gotta remember, ush, luke beat the hell out of vader in ROTJ. even before he was fighting with the dark side, vader couldnt touch him. luke was fighting defensive until vader taunted him with leia. also, i disagree that dooku sucks. his lightsaber and his lightsaber skills are awesome. did you forget how he countered all of anakins attacks when anakin had two lightsabers? awesome.

Ushgarak
Vader wasn't a particularly brilliant fighter either, though, as GL has mentioned. And Luke was learning, was becoming powerful with his released emotions, AND he was the hero at the critical point of the saga, which counts for a lot.

But none of the OT combatants would have stood a chance against the PT ones (though Obi-Wan would have been fine if he had gotten back into the 'groove').

Oh, and I massively prefer Dooku to Maul, of course; he was awesome.

cookies2006
dm was only good for his agility.

Ushgarak
He was very skilled as well, no point denying that, but in the end he was just a thug. Dooku had skill AND brains.

Rogue Jedi
maul was too young and headstrong.

finti
too young, never knew the age of Maul, now Dooku has long experience as a Jedi so yes he had patience, skills and the brains required to be a really dangerous bad ass. Maul was more of an cool moves vicious looking bad dude with to arrogant for his own good. He laked a vial thing patience

Rogue Jedi
arrogance+lack of patience=headstrong.

GABRIEL05
Dooku was probably the most disciplined fighter. As in he had the most knowledge about fencing. Him, Mace, Yoda, Maybe Anakin. We'll see in the next movie.

KidRock
I think Mace Windu is one of the best duelers

Ushgarak
Yes- be nice to see him duel.

Vincent Rendar
Mace Rules, becaus ehe uses form VII jedi techniques, whihc takes him very close to the dark side, but he controls his emotions making him very skilled. He is able to utilize emotion in fighting while still staying on the light side. There are very few form VII users.

I still think maul was cool. He was young i think, and thus impatient. The thing about dooku was that he had the best of both world, he had jedi and sith traits so he was more skilled, used emotion, but was patient also.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>