Cloverfield

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistOfThe North
It had an awsome trailer during the "Transformers" movie for a film with no title. Here's what wiki had on it:

"Cloverfield" is the working title or codename of a science fiction film set for release in 2008 produced by J. J. Abrams, directed by Matt Reeves, and written by Drew Goddard. First publicized in advance screenings of Transformers, the once secret project is slated for a January 18, 2008 release.

Premise:
A small group of people witness a monster attack on New York City.

Cast
Michael Stahl-David
Odette Yustman
Mike Vogel
Lizzy Caplan

Production
In February 2007, Paramount Pictures secretly greenlighted the project Cloverfield to be produced by J. J. Abrams, directed by Matt Reeves, and written by Drew Goddard. The casting process was also carried out in secret, with no script being sent out to candidates. With production estimated to have a budget of $30 million, filming began in mid-June in New York. Due to Transformers showing high tracking numbers before its release, Paramount decided to release a teaser for Cloverfield before the robot film to build hype. The teaser footage is shot with a hand-held camera to emulate a home-movie style. The teaser did not reveal the name of the film, but it showed a release date of January 18, 2008 for the film. It is not known if the film will carry the same style. The teaser was leaked onto YouTube by people who recorded it with camcorders, but Paramount invoked its copyright claim to have the links removed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloverfield

Gannon
Looks very intriguing and original.

I like the way they advertised it without giving the name and all. It adds mystery and makes you wanna find out more.

I'm looking forward to seeing this.

AstroFan
Yeah, it was a very smart move. Ive been hearing it talked about the radio here.

I love the money shot in the trailer where the Statue of Liberty's head gets thrown around, just makes you go "holy shit". lol

DeVi| D0do
Trailer (super craptastic bootleg edition): http://www.dtheatre.com/read.php?sid=4177

Looks mean! I wouldn't be at all surprised if the film was released with no title as well...

FistOfThe North
Yea. Some think it's a "Lost" (tv show) promo others, including myself think it's "Godzilla 2" or a remake of pt 1. If you listen closely, the guy they're throwing the farewell party for is going to Japan, afterall.

Smasandian
Cant be Godzilla, they dont have the rights to it, or if they do, no media outlet has said anything.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Smasandian
Cant be Godzilla, they dont have the rights to it, or if they do, no media outlet has said anything.

Well, i may be wrong. I'm just speculating but no outlet has to say anything at all about any movie at any time. The can remain hush about it if they wanted to up until whenever it is they want to unveil.

Mairuzu
Im hopeing for an Apocolype type thing, kill us! KILL US ALL!! devil

Ultimate Hulk43
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Yea. Some think it's a "Lost" (tv show) promo others, including myself think it's "Godzilla 2" or a remake of pt 1. If you listen closely, the guy they're throwing the farewell party for is going to Japan, afterall.

It could be a sequel to Godzilla but they don't have the rights so the name Godzilla isn't actually being used. It could end up being just that or they could have the rights to make another Godzilla movie but they don't want anyone to know about it since they're so secretive about it.

Robtard
Originally posted by Robtard
It's Godzilla, but not that giant asexual burrowing iguana American-Godzilla they did in 1998. They're going back to the Tomoyuki Tanaka style, 300+ feet tall, nuclear breath and pissed off.

I highly doubt they're going to link it to the 1998 movie in any way either, it's most likely a reboot.

FistOfThe North
If you notice, the bone plates coming out of Godzilla's back and tail look like clovers.

And that roar was so Godzilla-like, just more on the mech-ish side. But wasn't there a metallic Godzilla?

DeVi| D0do
Teaser:

QT 480p (34mb)
QT 720p (69mb)
QT 1080p (121mb)

cool

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
Teaser:

QT 480p (34mb)
QT 720p (69mb)
QT 1080p (121mb)

cool

Wow. that's clearer that the theatrical version. But yea, it's definitely Godzilla, man.. No doubt about it.

Robtard
If you notice, the bone plates coming out of Godzilla's back and tail look like clovers.

And that roar was so Godzilla-like, just more on the mech-ish side. But wasn't there a metallic Godzilla?

You, or whomever you gleaned that from is reaching... Godzilla's back plates are a jagged mess.

Mechagodzilla. First designed by aliens to destroy Earth under the guise of Godzilla, then built by humans as a counter measure against Godzilla. Depends which role Godzilla is playing, destroyer or helper.

It's also being shot through a camcorder, think "Blair Witch". So basically you experience Godzilla's attack through the point of view of the camera-person, and the people directly around.

FistOfThe North
You, or whomever you gleaned that from is reaching... Godzilla's back plates are a jagged mess.

Mechagodzilla. First designed by aliens to destroy Earth under the guise of Godzilla, then built by humans as a counter measure against Godzilla. Depends which role Godzilla is playing, destroyer or helper.

It's also being shot through a camcorder, think "Blair Witch". So basically you experience Godzilla's attack through the point of view of the camera-person, and the people directly around.

Doesn't seem like they look like a Jagged mess here. This is from the 2004 "Godzilla: Final Wars" movie that came out in '04. And you must think that clovers are only the four leafed ones you only know about.

There are many many types of clovers. Some fairly resemble the bone plates, but the guy probably used it as a loose reference, but anyway, I now think it may not be Godzilla after what one source on youtube said when he said "The Godzilla feature film licence is on hold until 2013. And Paramount doesn't have the rights to produce and distribute and Godzilla movie." Since this "Cloverfield" is a paramount movie.

FistOfThe North
one type of clover..

Röland
I really don't think this is a Godzilla movie at all.

At http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33104 a quote about Cloverfield says;

If the monster/monsters/thing is being referred to as "The Parasite", I think it has to do with aliens or something else. Some people on the IMDB board have the idea it could be Cthulhu from "The Call of Cthulhu" by Lovecraft. Others have said it could be a Chimera/s.

On the HD trailer here http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/11808/large.html towards the end when the camera is filming the chaos on the street a man runs past and you can hear him say either;

"I saw it, it's alive, it's huge!"

OR

"I saw it, it's a lion, it's huge!"

It sounds like LION to me but you can't quite make it out clearly enough to be certain.

I'm not saying this isn't a Godzilla movie, for all we know the trailer and all the info that has been speculated on/released so far is just a way to detour everyone from the true movie, but it looks doubtful that it is. That's just my opinion. Check out the teaser and make your own judgment on this movie.

Also, www.aintitcoolnews.com has 4 or 5 articles on it, just search "Cloverfield".

I am really looking forward to this and hopefully more info is released soon.

EDIT: That clip was pointless. Sorry.

Robtard
Doesn't seem like they look like a Jagged mess here. This is from the 2004 "Godzilla: Final Wars" movie that came out in '04. And you must think that clovers are only the four leafed ones you only know about.

There are many many types of clovers. Some fairly resemble the bone plates, but the guy probably used it as a loose reference, but anyway, I now think it may not be Godzilla after what one source on youtube said when he said "The Godzilla feature film licence is on hold until 2013. And Paramount doesn't have the rights to produce and distribute and Godzilla movie." Since this "Cloverfield" is a paramount movie.

They still look like a jagged mess in that picture though, just not as messy... they more closely resemble maple leaves, as per the old school Godzilla's back plates. Actually, clovers come in three leaves more often than four, within the leafy varieties. "...four leafed ones you only know about.", for all you now, I'm a ****ing botanist, jackass.

Bah, it's Godzilla, rights can be purchased and they can be cunningly sidestepped.

DeVi| D0do
I hope to god you people are wrong... The cool-factor drops a thousand points if it is Godzilla...

Röland
I hope to god you people are wrong... The cool-factor drops a thousand points if it is Godzilla...

I don't think it's Godzilla at all.

xNIXSONx
when the trailer just ended people were like "wtf?" and i was going to yell out, "ITS TRANSFORMERS!!!!!!!"

the statue of liberty had horrible cgi, there was no physics to it and it just looked misplaced amongst the grainyness of the film being shot from a video camera

Smasandian
They still look like a jagged mess in that picture though, just not as messy... they more closely resemble maple leaves, as per the old school Godzilla's back plates. Actually, clovers come in three leaves more often than four, within the leafy varieties. "...four leafed ones you only know about.", for all you now, I'm a ****ing botanist, jackass.

Bah, it's Godzilla, rights can be purchased and they can be cunningly sidestepped.

So they're going to make a movie that looks like godzilla, sounds like godzilla and plays like godzilla, but not call it godzilla.

Why in the hell would they do that?

It's not godzilla. I'm pretty sure if they did buy the rights to godzilla, somebody in this world would know.

ragesRemorse
^^^^agreed heres hoping its not godzilla

Solo
The Host, anyone?

Smasandian
I think thats being remade by another company.

Myth
It wouldn't make as much sense to advertise Godzilla in this way. This trailer makes the movie a mystery and intriguing. If it were Godzilla, the moment it is announced all mystery would be gone that was created in this teaser and thus would have made the teaser pointless. That is unless never reveal it and they are trying to trick people into seeing another Godzilla movie without actually advertising as such evil face

Also, I agree with Nixon that the CGI just looked like shit.

Ultimate Hulk43

Yeah, that's true & I'm like 85% sure that this film is related to Godzilla. I hope it's a sequel with Godzilla's son becoming a good guy. Happy Dance

Supreme being
Originally posted by Ultimate Hulk43
Yeah, that's true & I'm like 85% sure that this film is related to Godzilla. I hope it's a sequel with Godzilla's son becoming a good guy. Happy Dance

A good guy that smashes the statue of liberty. Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

ladov52014
well who said it was godzilla in the city cause at the end of the 1998 movie ( i think that was the year) one egg did survive and could of taken awhile to think on how they would do it i think a godzilla movie would be good but than agian i don't know...... aliens would be 2 much and aint like we got many other huge creatures... UNLESS ITS SOMTHING TOTALLY NEW.... lol but we will see they did put it in terms for godzilla with the trip to japan being said ? idk well find out in months time

Robtard
So they're going to make a movie that looks like godzilla, sounds like godzilla and plays like godzilla, but not call it godzilla.

Why in the hell would they do that?

It's not godzilla. I'm pretty sure if they did buy the rights to godzilla, somebody in this world would know.

You'll see... you'll see.

Oh, the people that are calling the "CGI" shit, the film is being done on a budget of around 30 million. So don't expect to be dazzled, it's also being seen through a camcorder, think "Blair Witch" meets "Godzilla".

It's not going to be your typical "Godzilla" movie, you'll only see
the 'monster' in tiny segments. The movie will be centered on the small group of friends trying to escape/survive in N.Y. while Godzilla attacks.

Myth
Small budget or not, it simply didn't look that good. I think the premise could be interesting, but I hate CGI enough already when there is a big budget.

Smasandian

Oh, the people that are calling the "CGI" shit, the film is being done on a budget of around 30 million. So don't expect to be dazzled, it's also being seen through a camcorder, think "Blair Witch" meets "Godzilla".

the 'monster' in tiny segments. The movie will be centered on the small group of friends trying to escape/survive in N.Y. while Godzilla attacks.

Where did you get that info?

My understanding of the situation is that its not an Godzilla movie, and the trailers has no indication of the final product considering the movie has just started filming in mid June.

It was a teaser trailer to create exictment for this movie. The Blair Witch feel might not even part of the movie. It was just a trailer.

Solo
This is going to be the next Blair Witch.

Robtard

My understanding of the situation is that its not an Godzilla movie, and the trailers has no indication of the final product considering the movie has just started filming in mid June.

It was a teaser trailer to create exictment for this movie. The Blair Witch feel might not even part of the movie. It was just a trailer.

You're welcome to your opinion, but remember what I said come December (or so); if I'm wrong, point your finger and laugh at me.

~LunaLoveG~
So thats the mystery trailer. When I saw I was like WTF? what is this random movie? Well at least now I know

Röland

That's the way I look at it and one of the reasons why I feel this is not going to be a Godzilla movie.

Also the Godzilla name/picture/everything has been retired by Toho Enterprises (sp) until 2013 and the Godzilla feature film license has been put on hold. Plus only Sony, Tri-star and Toho Enterprises (sp) have the rights to Godzilla.

Mairuzu
I dont think godzilla is able to launch the statue of liberty's head that far is he? i dunno, i hope it isnt a godzilla movie even tho hes badass.. i want something new, so the whole movie is gunna be shot via video camera? interesting if it is.... hmm

Gannon
It might be interesting if they never show you the creature untill the very end although i doubt it would happen.

Mairuzu
Howard the duck bitches!

Robtard
Originally posted by Mairuzu
I dont think godzilla is able to launch the statue of liberty's head that far is he?

Really, what you do base that assumption on?

Mairuzu
Well, he'd have to do it with his mouth blast... the statues face woulda been more f**ked up looking if he did blast it off, and even if he did i dont think it would launch that far... i mean ive seen him blast buildings before but yea... nothing like that. which is why i dont think its godzilla... i want something new !

Robtard
Well, he'd have to do it with his mouth blast... the statues face woulda been more f**ked up looking if he did blast it off, and even if he did i dont think it would launch that far... i mean ive seen him blast buildings before but yea... nothing like that. which is why i dont think its godzilla... i want something new !

You do realize the "Godzilla" is a fictional character, "he" can do whatever the producers, scriptwriter and/or director want him to do... If they want to give Godzilla the ability to send the Statues head flying with a tail swing, they can do that. In the 70's films, he once slide on his tail and did some half-ass kung fu kick, see what I mean?

Quincy
Didn't they release that the monster is being called "The Parasite" for now?

Why are you arguing over it being Godzilla?

BlaxicanHydra
I don't get why people are do f8cking obsessed with which monster it is.

Whats wrong with it being a ya know, original never before seen or heard of monster? Or did it say that it was a remake of some old crap?

Robtard
Originally posted by Quincy
Didn't they release that the monster is being called "The Parasite" for now?

Why are you arguing over it being Godzilla?

Because it is Godzilla".. Ever consider that "Parasite" could be just a fake name like "Cloverfield" or "Slusho"?

Mairuzu
Im saying its not godzilla, and hoping

Robtard
Originally posted by BlaxicanHydra

Whats wrong with it being a ya know, original never before seen or heard of monster? Or did it say that it was a remake of some old crap?

That was deep, way too deep for a message board...

Nothing wrong with being original; no one said that was a problem either. The trailer didn't say much, so people are going off the hints and speculating, genius.

Mairuzu
Originally posted by BlaxicanHydra

No one knows, i want it to be something new like i said 8 times

phoenix_spark
Ok so I put tgoether short timeline of events in the movie.

The party began before 12:00 AM midnight.

By 12:01 AM serious partying is happening, drinking and all that crap.

By 12:32 AM, as seen on the TV screen, the initial attack begins.
What's also interesting is that the temperature is 63 degrees F in New York City at night. Is that a little high?

The statue of Liberty's head flies into the city at 12:36 AM, as seen from the reflection of the two girls' eyes on the picture at 1-18-08.com. They are obviously on the street because you can see a streetlight and a white car.

But in the end, they are probably gonna die anyways.

Mairuzu
Originally posted by phoenix_spark
Ok so I put tgoether short timeline of events in the movie.

The party began before 12:00 AM midnight.

By 12:01 AM serious partying is happening, drinking and all that crap.

By 12:32 AM, as seen on the TV screen, the initial attack begins.
What's also interesting is that the temperature is 63 degrees F in New York City at night. Is that a little high?

The statue of Liberty's head flies into the city at 12:36 AM, as seen from the reflection of the two girls' eyes on the picture at 1-18-08.com. They are obviously on the street because you can see a streetlight and a white car.

But in the end, they are probably gonna die anyways.

I wonder what happened at 11:30 PM!!!! lol jk (most likely two drunk kids having sex?)

anyways nice recap... good job on finding out the weather, dunno if that matters tho...who knows... its from a lost creator so anything can happen -_-

phoenix_spark
lol a stupid thought just popped into my head.

maybe the enemy is Global Warming and it's attacking the Earth, because a temperature of 63 degrees F is way too high for January in New York at midnight. It's Global Warming in the form of a giant monster. Everything has gotten so warm that buildings are spontaneously combusting and exploding, hence the Statue of Liberty's head popping off. One of the girl's mascara is also running due to the intense heat.

Robtard
Originally posted by phoenix_spark
lol a stupid thought just popped into my head.

maybe the enemy is Global Warming and it's attacking the Earth, because a temperature of 63 degrees F is way too high for January in New York at midnight. It's Global Warming in the form of a giant monster. Everything has gotten so warm that buildings are spontaneously combusting and exploding, hence the Statue of Liberty's head popping off. One of the girl's mascara is also running due to the intense heat.

Not sure if things like buildings "spontaneous combust" at 63 Fahrenheit...

D-Wag
Not sure if things like buildings "spontaneous combust" at 63 Fahrenheit...

hahahahaha eek!

I was thinking maybe another andaconda sequel haha

Röland
Originally posted by D-Wag
hahahahaha eek!

I was thinking maybe another andaconda sequel haha

Haha, for the love of God, no.

DanZeke25
If it is Godzilla the movie would kick into gay mode.

Xam
im putting my money on ''its sumthing totally new''

ladov52014
ya totally new agreed cause they prob want everyone to think godzilla than BAM! somthing new and exciting. side note- Actually its gonna be meta godzilla vs godzilla and than King kong will come in with ALL THE DINOSAURS FROM JURASSICA PARK, THAN! all of a sudden. Superman lifts another continuent up and takes it to the sun and we kill him for taken new york..... finally a movie with some drama lol

Scythe
It's probably something to the vibe of War Of The Worlds.

Quincy
Originally posted by Scythe
It's probably something to the vibe of War Of The Worlds.

Except it'll be a good movie.

Xam
yall should go view my thread

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=9208091#post9208091

InnerRise
If this ends up being some type of Godzilla movie, I'll be very disappointed.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Röland

FistOfThe North

Why, just cause of the '98 flick? Why does everyone hate that movie. I thought it was ok.

D-Wag
Maybe its another Power Rangers Movie, and the monster morphed up to a gaint monster and now they have to get there zoids and destroy him before he takes over New York City

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by D-Wag
Maybe its another Power Rangers Movie, and the monster morphed up to a gaint monster and now they have to get there zoids and destroy him before he takes over New York City

Either that or it's that rumored Beetleborgs movie starring Jay Leno as the Blue-skinned Elvis ghost dude.

Mairuzu
Attack of the killer tomatos!!!!!!! STREET SHARKS!!!!

D-Wag
Attack of the killer tomatos!!!!!!! STREET SHARKS!!!!

I cant believe they actually made a shoiw Attack of the Killer Tomatos haha woow!

ragesRemorse

sounds promosing, but the point of godzilla is to be dazzled is it not?

At any rate the trailer does look pathetic. I've seen commercials with better effects.

super pr*xy
it's dave chappelle, b!tches!!!

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/1253/own3dzx7.gif

Ultimate Hulk43
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
sounds promosing, but the point of godzilla is to be dazzled is it not?

At any rate the trailer does look pathetic. I've seen commercials with better effects.

If Godzilla doesn't at least have the same amount of screen time as in the 1998 film, the movie might suck.

ragesRemorse
30 million, he wont. But i'll give it a shot, i'll wait for atleast a few more trailers of the movie

gls
wow, its been almost a year since i've posted.. or longer > >
anyway its NOT a godzilla movie
ehtan haas was right is NOT a part of "cloverfield" according to jj
though viral marketing isn't always about sayin the truth at first, so maybe he's lying?
who knows.

The Grey Fox
Clovie? She is nice no?

H. S. 6
There's a new picture up on www.1-18-08.com

Tyranno-Chris

pinkfloydkor
its not ****ing godzilla

good god people

the parasite

not the huge lizard

cloverfield probably has nothing to do with the movie, and even if it did, wtf???? godzillas scales???

Ultimate Hulk43
Yeah, it's probably not but a Godzilla sequel will still probably be made.

Tyranno-Chris
I seriously hope so, I loved that film. It was the first Godzilla I had ever seen. Or heard of.

Ultimate Hulk43
If we get it, it'll be in a few years but it'd be better if this is discussed in the thread I made.

RedAlertv2
Saw the trailer for this mysterious movie at Transformers. Anyone have any details about the movie? The trailer was purposefully vague and I have to say Im intrigued.

mr.donut
it's heaven and hell in the final war cuz in the traller there are page numbers of the bible and when i went to the pages and it was saying thing about heaven and hell and when the head of liberty is tosed u can see a big black cloud toss it u have to see the traller a shit lod of times to c it if u have any ? send me a meeseag k till then the end is on 1-18-08

SnakeEyes
Haha.

There have been like 5 threads on this man.

mr.donut
how me

Impediment
KQWFOgvPE20

Looks interesting, but I bet the hype won't live up.

jaden101
i took one look at it and it screamed "GODZILLA SEQUEL" to me...haven't read up on it much but apparently its not though...does look quite cool though...a big budget film done on video camera..could work

FistOfThe North
It's not Godzilla.

It's already been found out that Paramount, which has the rights to this 1-18-08/Cloverfield film, does not own the rights to Godzilla. Sony does.

And if it did, something as important as that, would've been announced a long time ago. If not it would've definitely have leaked, hard. And with what 6 months left till the release of this movie i don't think there'll be enough time to buy the rights from Sony aside from the fact that Paramount has obviously already started filming this Cloverfield film.

So, again, no. It's not Godzilla.

slusho
There's an article on this 1-18-08 movie, they look at some theories, its a must read, Im completely intrigued with this teaser trailer, it better be good. the article is at cowboysblog.net

Altar[1stONE]
I hope its a real life take of the battle between heaven and hell. I heard it may have the 3 headed beast with serpent tails, the harlot of babylon, and all those book of revelations basturds. Hmm then again, if that is the case, im sure theres a movie like that somewhere on the christian channel. confused

rosieda
why you all worried about rights to names and such. We all know that in this world MONEY TALKS and that being said a good offer makes people walk, talk, sell, and what not.

And what if it ends up being another godzilla movie, you all know you will end up in that theater watching it or getting it another way.

FistOfThe North
Oh don't get me wrong, I'll definitely watch it if it's another Godzilla movie. And I'll most likely watch it even if it isn't. And i do know money talks it's just, more than so, way too many signs lead to it not being a Godzilla movie.

To me, so far, it seems like an entirely new monster movie. And I ask, why not?

ragesRemorse
money talks, but copyrights, and ownership is deaf to money when its not interested.

Mairuzu
Its the sad truth

calebyourmaster
in the trailer it said something about a lion

rosieda
i dunno i'm with you guys. This freaking movie trailer is driving me insane. stayed up till 2am searching all i could and its just not right. Guess we all have to wait till Aug 1 to see whats next. And no it didnt say Lion... it says "we saw it, its alive its huge"

Tyranno-Chris
Why would they say "It's alive" ?

Altar[1stONE]
Either that or it's that rumored Beetleborgs movie starring Jay Leno as the Blue-skinned Elvis ghost dude.

laughing I thought I was one of the few people who always thought that lol.

Anyways , my first thoughts when i watched this trailer . Were something apocalyptic , and i base this off the explosion. It looks like it came outta the sky , or from the ground. I cant see it as godzilla, there would be some evidence of that flame breath . And even if it was damage from his breath, the symmetry of the aftermath is wrong from my perspective. The whole event was outta the blue, and reminded me of that quote. "The end of the world would be like a thief in the night", no one would expect it. As for the creature thats making that freaky unearthly sound. Well, im gonna go with what that character said in the trailer " Its a lion and its huge". If thats what he said , im hoping it matches this excerpt from the book of revelations. "The first beast was like a LION, and the second beast like a CALF, and the third beast had a face as a MAN, and the fourth beast was like a flying EAGLE." Sh*t, if they could pull this off on screen, it would be unique and scary as all hell. It would probably have the same effect as the passion of the christ.

Im not even a religious man, but i know if they brought something like that to the screen. Along with the realism that comes with the camcorder look. It would just scare people in a whole other way, then the typical monster movie.

KPrince
Originally posted by Tyranno-Chris
Why would they say "It's alive" ?

Hopefully, this movie lives up to the creepiness of its trailer. I too stayed up late trying to find out info on this "Cloverfield" project. It is a giant monster movie produced by J.J Abrams of Lost fame. The creature is supposedly described as a "parasite" of some sort that attacks New York. Also, The point of view is mostly from hand-held camera footage made from "Rob's Going-Away Party". I've read on other sites RIDICULOUS claims that it may be a Voltron movie, or Evangelion, or even a Ghostbusters remake!
I have listened to the trailer several times on Apple.com. The person does indeed say "I saw it. It's alive. It's huge." It makes perfect sense to say "It's alive." Reason being that using that phrase gives hints as to what indeed is attacking NYC in the trailer. It's some sort of giant, living, creature, and not a robot. I think if that was not put in the trailer, we'd be even more confused and be justified in thinking such things as "It's a Voltron movie!" roll eyes (sarcastic)

Also, the website for the movie has some especially intriguing photos.

Mairuzu
You know, it could be a robot too..

not that i know if its going to be
BUT it could, even if hes saying its alive.

It not like anyone would say "ITS ACTIVE ITS HUGE!" lol

i hope its not a robot tho... ugh

rosieda
why don't we just wait till august 1st and see what else Abrams gonna release.

Mairuzu
Originally posted by rosieda
why don't we just wait till august 1st and see what else Abrams gonna release.

as if we have a choice roll eyes (sarcastic)

rosieda
i'm just saying... to end all the speculations and crap that people are putting out.

Mairuzu
Yea, they are just ideas tho...

I mean, pretty much all we can do for now is speculate right?

hurry up august 1st !! SO SLOW

exanda kane
I'm not really a fan of this kinda film. Sorry to bring that comment in, but it's the only bloody thread moving.

Mairuzu
What dont you like about it? My eyes were glued to the screen right when i heard ROAHROAH ORHWOA HRWOAH

at first i was like, oh man another gay teen movie...

then all of a sudden WTF O_O!!!!

KPrince
Hey everyone! Another picture is up at 1-18-08.com. Four pics in total so far.

rosieda
yeah true. I guess if we don't talk to bring ideas up we will all go crazy. Guess this is our way of keeping us sane. Freaking Abrams has everyone pulling their hair out.

When i saw the trailer i was like... another blockbuster now I'm excited about going to movies again. And sure enough the trailer didn't disappoint me. I'm just hoping that the hype lives to its name when the movie comes out in January.

slusho
From an online blog.

Offtopic: 1-18-08 is Cthulhu

This is definitely off topic, but you may have seen the preview that preceded Transformers. This teaser trailer left many wondering what this is. The only thing we know is that it comes out 1-18-08. If you haven't seen the preview you can check it out here>> 1-18-08

The movie is produced by J.J. Abrams from Lost and Alias fame, along with writter Drew Goddard. 1-18-08 is also being called Cloverfield/Slusho as the movie's codename.

The teaser trailer has offered up a few clues as to what this movie will be about. You have to watch the clip several times and pause it several times to catch a few of these clues.

At first glance, people may think this is a Godzilla remake, or War of the Worlds 2, upon further investigating some people thought this could be Voltron. During the clip there is some confusion when you can hear someone say: "It's alive!" or "It's a lion!" leaving those to believe this could be a Voltron movie, but this wouldn't quite make sense as the Statue of Liberty's head is flung across the street. Another rumor is that this could be based on the game from the 80s called Rampage, which is based on three monsters that destroy cities, but again, this seems like a far fetched rumor too.

The thought line is that this movie is based on a sea monster/creature, one other rumor is that this could be a movie based on Namor: The Submariner, a Marvel Comic, but there is no mention in the trailers credits.

This leaves us with the most likely thought that this movie is going to be based on H.P. Lovecraft's "Call of the Cthulhu" (pronounced Kathooloo) which came out in 1928. Another writer Robert Anton Wilson used Cthulhu Mythos and Zen Buddhism is his writings and he was born on 1-18-32 and cremated 1-18-07. Coincidence that the movies is coming out 1-18-08? perhaps, we'll see.

Let's take a look at the clues I've discovered in the teaser trailer. I may have missed some, but here are a few clues:

Sushi - in the beginning you'll see a party tray with sushi, fish, eel, and some other sea creatures, more for some sort of symbolism than anything else, creatures of the sea.

Buddha - In the same frame you'll see the small Buddha statues on the shelf, Zen Buddhism as related in some of Robert Anton Wilson's writings.

AKM - soon after you hear the first monster noise, you'll see a red paddle on the wall with the label "AKM" There are two thoughts on the AKM anogram: One being that it stands for the honor society frat Alpha Kappa Mu. Kappa meaning legendary creature and Mu has mythical historical value in this context. Mu is a mythical sunken continent similar to Atlantis, but the inhabintants of Mu worshipped the three son's of Cthulu, that's one link. The other thought is that AKM could be short for Arkham, a fictional city used by H.P. Lovecraft in several of his books.

Slusho - during the news report the guy turns around and the logo on the shirt is "Slusho!"When you visit the site, you'll see the relation of Slusho in this context. Mainly, it theme revolves around sea creatures. The only section on this site that has any information is the "history" section, key clue can be found by researching Noriko Yoshida

Statue of Liberty - the head of the Statue of Liberty is thrown across the city, suggests the creature/monster is coming from the ocean sea.

So far, the only official sites associated with this project are:
1-18-08.com
Slusho.jp

1-18-08 has three pics so far, which I haven't gained any solid clues, other than the time stamps on the pics could have some sort of biblical relation, who knows. 12:01,12:36 and 12:48 or 1+1+8+0+8=18 divisible by 3=6, 666.

Some other unconfirmed sites have popped, but some considered bogus by some:
ABZ3293
EthanHaasWasRight.com

What ever the outcome is, hopefully this movie is good, its garnering alot of chatter on the web, including myself. You can get engulfed in researching this stuff.

Darth Vicious
I just saw the trailer today ad it got my attention. Im pretty curious as to what actually is the movie about even though the first thing that came to mind was Godzilla.

kshair54
I dont get where people are trying to describe what kind of back the monster has from the clip when I dont see any evidence of the monster at all, much less see any back appendages

I have heard from other sites they think the movie might be "Rampage" (from the game)

A lot of people are thinking it might be something from H.P. Lovecraft (Gods warring on earth?)

kshair54
to me it sounded like the guy was saying "It's Alive"

Originally posted by calebyourmaster
in the trailer it said something about a lion

rosieda
well this is one of the other things i heard. That the movie is based on a game called Alpha and Omega. I believe it was a board game and now its being developed by mindstormlabs into a PC MMORPG. But who knows, maybe another lead.

http://www.mindstormlabs.com/

FistOfThe North
I loved that roar in that trailer.. That's the best roar I've hear on film since that loud call those "War of the Worlds" alien pod vehicle thingy's made.

rosieda
Today is the begining of Comic Con. Cross our fingers and maybe abrams will release more info on it.

WrathfulDwarf
I think the marketing for this film will be bigger than the film itself.

btw-I'll be at Comic Con in 6hrs....gotta put on my Batman T-shirt.

Alpha Centauri
It's not Godzilla, unless Toei and Sony/Tristar are lying about the contract agreement. Toei, the main owners and creators of Godzilla, put the contract on hold and said there'd be no more Godzilla movies until 2010.

I don't blame them, the American version was balls. It doesn't have to be a man in a suit, but at least not turn it into Jurassic Park.

As far as this "Cloverfield" goes, the trailer is awesome because it's everything a trailer should be; grabs your attention and makes you want to know more.

Whether or not the movie is good or a piece of shit, nobody knows.

-AC

Ultimate Hulk43
I hope the monster is actually giant & scary looking. Should look very bestial....

Röland
I was watching Attack of the Show and they had a rumor report about Cloverfield, the new Star Trek film coming out and Indy 4. It was reported that the monster is heavily rumored to be Cthulhu, the character created by H.P. Lovecraft.

rosieda
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
It's not Godzilla, unless Toei and Sony/Tristar are lying about the contract agreement. Toei, the main owners and creators of Godzilla, put the contract on hold and said there'd be no more Godzilla movies until 2010.

-AC

You might be right they hold their rights to the name and what ever not. JJ Abrams addressed Comic Con fans today and all rumors and i say and quote him "We Need Our Own Godzilla" in YOUR FACE MR TOE AND SONY!!!!

btw check out the teaser poster... its so Godzilla(new name? Mounstrous). eek! http://www.movieweb.com/movies/film/53/5153/poster1.php

Röland
"We Need Our Own Godzilla" in YOUR FACE MR TOE AND SONY!!!!

I think he means we need our own iconic monster.

"we need to create a monster in par with the classic japanese movies.

FistOfThe North

btw check out the teaser poster... its so Godzilla(new name? Mounstrous). eek! http://www.movieweb.com/movies/film/53/5153/poster1.php

lol....nice.

rosieda
the name wont be mounstrous. Abrams laugh during the comic con panel when someone mentioned that name.... "oh come on, you think we name this movie mounstrous... chuckle chuckle chuckle"

Ultimate Hulk43
That would be a stupid name but hopefully it'll be scary & the monster will look good.

Morning_Glory
I do believe this is the website that goes with the Abrams movie...

not much on it yet...

http://www.1-18-08.com/

Thorin
Yes, the first thing that comes to my mind is Godzilla too.

Alpha Centauri
Unless Abrams is lying, it's not based on anything, it's a new monster.

If you look at the new official poster, you can see a trail or some kind of wake in the water that leads to the destruction in the poster, indicating it's either a water-based creature or that it came from the water (Via crashing there from outer space or any other number of reasons.). Also, there are three slashes on the Statue of Liberty, similar marks can be seen on the wrecked buildings.

The trailer is awesome, it does what trailers should, but I'm not judging the movie 'til I see it. Godzilla had a great trailer, but the movie was shit.

-AC

Alpha Centauri
It's not Godzilla, they don't have the rights to it, for one thing. Besides the repeated "It's not Godzilla." from the producer himself.

Even if it WAS, it's not anymore. Where would the point lie? "It's not Godzilla.", "Oh...", "HAH! IT IS REALLY!".

Cthulhu would have been a wise choice considering what we know, but he's said it's not based on anything, nor is it a remake or a sequel. Although, to the best of my knowledge there haven't been any Cthulhu films, so it technically wouldn't be a remake or a sequel, but it WOULD be based on another monster, and he said it's a new monster.

-AC

DARKLORDCAEDUS
I have no idea what this is. Blake Lively may be the best thing about it.

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Cloverfield or 1-18-08, whatever this film is, I hope this kind of marketing works because I 'm not sure what sort of monster is in this.

WrathfulDwarf
Bah! It's not going to be a giant angry Lizard or some tentacle face thing.

I betcha this is going to be a Johnny Sokko and his Flying Robot movie.

All the clues point to him. He is the Obvious choice.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/156/434526781_9009b5fe03.jpg

Take that Kaiju Big Battle fanboys!

Alpha Centauri
Yeah, because we're clearly all flowing with knowledge about it.

-AC

The Machine
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r262/RedM_Supra/cloverfieldposter1-1.jpg

Alpha Centauri
As I said previously:

"If you look at the new official poster, you can see a trail or some kind of wake in the water that leads to the destruction in the poster, indicating it's either a water-based creature or that it came from the water (Via crashing there from outer space or any other number of reasons.). Also, there are three slashes on the Statue of Liberty, similar marks can be seen on the wrecked buildings.".

-AC

Impediment
Thank you, Captain Obvious.

Alpha Centauri
Technically that wasn't the best reply, as it's not something that can be considered obvious.

I doubt everyone is looking at the poster and noticing those things.

Still, A+ for the effort, Impediment. Bravo.

-AC

Impediment
eyes

WrathfulDwarf
*pokes*

It's Johnny Sokko.

Ultimate Hulk43
I hope that the beast looks really bestial & I'm hoping for A LOT of destruction. So far everything looks promising.

allofyousuckkk
Umm, I hope this whole movie isnt destruction and we only see the monster in the last 10 min.

Mairuzu
Originally posted by allofyousuckkk
Umm, I hope this whole movie isnt destruction and we only see the monster in the last 10 min.

id be pretty pissed..

Tyranno-Chris

Tyranno-Chris
For anyone who wants to see the poster, here ya go. smile

http://tmohost.com/espacePrive/michagin_man/poster1.jpg

tlbauerle
May I introduce you to King Kong?

Damn you! I just spit milk on my screen!

However...I was thinking more along the lines of Sasquatch.

FistOfThe North
May I introduce you to King Kong?

In what way..A fire brathing one. I would expect Godzilla being the monster, over King Kong with the way the trailer went. Even if it was a bad monster, which it clearly was, it would have to expect a Godzilla enemy.

Ultimate Hulk43
What do you think the monster will look like?

Solo
Who said they'll ever show the monster? I can't wait though, should be great.

Ultimate Hulk43
Why wouldn't they show the monster?

Solo
Is there some rule saying they have to?

Ultimate Hulk43
Are you talking about showing a picture or actually showing the monster on film?

Solo
In the film brotha.

Supreme being
Originally posted by Solo
In the film brotha.

Well the budget is pretty tight so if they do show the monster it might be at the very end, i think the film will be more based on how a bunch of friends are dealing with the attack and the reaction of the people around them. Then at the end or something they will lay their eyes on the creature responsible for all this mayhem and it will either kill them or it will end the minute they see it.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>