If you kill someone while protecting another, do you go to hell?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

KidRock
Question for all the religion experts.

Killing someone is a sin obviously, and you go to hell, correct?

What if you're defending someone else and kill the person trying to kill another..do you still go to hell?

Boris
Killing someone is wrong.. very wrong.

You don't go to hell for it though.

Naz
It'd all depend on the circumstances, I suppose. But if it were purely in the act of defending someone, there was no personal wish of yours to do harm to the attacker, then no, I don't think you would go to Hell. But I don't want to pretend to know what God would decide in that situation.

Bardock42
Depends on your particular sort of fanatism. Many believe that even killing with malicious intent doesn't matter as long as you accept Jesus as your Homeboy.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by KidRock

What if you're defending someone else and kill the person trying to kill another..do you still go to hell?

No, killing is not a absolute sin.

inimalist
martyrdom + turn the other cheek ftw

you arent allow to defend yourself wink

Quark_666
I don't think there is just a heaven and a hell. I think there are degrees of glory between them. Think of the injustice of having just a heaven and a hell. Then, if you barely made it to heaven, you would have SO much more of a reward then a man that barely missed heaven...that sounds like injustice if I ever heard of it.

So I think it would be very likely for a protective killer to end up somewhere in between if he didn't repent properly.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by inimalist

No, Christians are allowed to kill you if you are not a Christian. stick out tongue evil face

inimalist
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
No, Christians are allowed to kill you if you are not a Christian. stick out tongue evil face

lol

I guess that is true...

not that its a revolutionary observation at all, but damn! abrahamic religions have some malicious zeal.

PITT_HAPPENS
No, killing is not a absolute sin. Unless you are killing in the name of God confused

Robtard

Murder is a sin, killing isn't, according to the Bible.

DigiMark007
Heaven/Hell theatrics aside, something along the of "is it ok to kill for the perceived 'greater good'?" would probably be a more universal question, not just pointed at Western religions.

My inner jury's honestly still out on that question...having recently been thrown into question by my continuing moral re-education. Not that it'll likely ever become an issue in my life, but it's good to know these things.

Quiero Mota

Now just replace "Christian" with "Muslim" and you would be correct.

(according to the Koran)

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Now just replace "Christian" with "Muslim" and you would be correct.

(according to the Koran)

I hope you realize that I was just joking.

Quiero Mota
I do.

Goddess Kali

According to JIA, you will go to Hell regardless unless you Repent.

According to common sense, Hell doesn't exist.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Goddess Kali
According to JIA, you will go to Hell regardless unless you Repent.

According to common sense, Hell doesn't exist.

Do you know what they say about common sense? That it is almost never common. wink

Goddess Kali
Do you know what they say about common sense? That it is almost never common. wink

I didn't realize how deluded so many people really were until I joined KMC

debbiejo

What if you're defending someone else and kill the person trying to kill another..do you still go to hell? No,no, you must let them hack you to death. death

Jesus be so ---> happy

Mindship
No. You go on the talk-show circuit so everyone can marvel at your deed while sponsors pray for ratings.

debbiejo
Then you write a book and make millions!!!

Dr. Zaius
One doesn't have to be an expert on the branch of philosophy known as Ethics or familiar with any religious belief system, to know that there is a plain moral distinction to be drawn between murder (commited for motives either venal or "principled"wink and killing in an act of self-defense or defense of another. In response to the question posed at the beginning of this thread, Christianity and Judaism acknowledge this distinction as well. The New Testament injunction to "turn the other cheek" is a proscription against seeking personal revenge, not a commandment to be a pacifist, or to stand back and let people be physically harmed.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Dr. Zaius
The New Testament injunction to "turn the other cheek" is a proscription against seeking personal revenge, not a commandment to be a pacifist, or to stand back and let people be physically harmed.

...which is an interpretation, nothing more. I'd tend to agree with you in this case, but this is a perfect example of how you can get many meanings from the same text....and consequently why un-wavering dogmatic belief can be a dangerous thing.

Originally posted by Goddess Kali
I didn't realize how deluded so many people really were until I joined KMC

...hmm...no, it was evident to me well before KMC. On KMC, at least you can get to intellgent discussion some of the time. And though he takes up an enormous amount of forum-space, people like JIA and such are still in the minority here.

King Kandy
JIA provides like half the traffic of the religion forum...

Versyn Gaul
Well you can do anything and ask for forgiveness and repent and you can be absolved of the sin. But there is in no way an acceptance of killing in anyway. Jesus said Mat 5 "You have known the old was that thou shalt not murder lest ye be judged BUt I say, If you have anger in your Heart you Will be judged" "blessed are the Merciful for they will be shown Mercy" "Blessed are the PEACE makers for they will be called children of GOD" "Reconcile with your Adversary" " If he Takes our tunic offer him your cloak" "They old ways say Love they Neighbor and hate your Enemy But I say love your enemy for if you only embrace your brother , does not even the Pagan do this" I don't think there is much interpretation You cant kill. But there is the catch all "Repenting"

inimalist
well, maybe I should have read the post above mine to see pretty much the same point being made

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by King Kandy
JIA provides like half the traffic of the religion forum...

The wrong half? laughing

muslimscholar
The wrong half? laughing good one big grin

Emperor Ashtar
Originally posted by DigiMark007
...which is an interpretation, nothing more. I'd tend to agree with you in this case, but this is a perfect example of how you can get many meanings from the same text

What other meanings could the scripture in question be interperted too ? Just by examining the context we can see that said quotes intrinsic value coincides with said interpertation.

I'm just curious because many seem to suggest that the bible's scriptures are relative.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Quark_666
I don't think there is just a heaven and a hell. I think there are degrees of glory between them. Think of the injustice of having just a heaven and a hell. Then, if you barely made it to heaven, you would have SO much more of a reward then a man that barely missed heaven...that sounds like injustice if I ever heard of it.

So I think it would be very likely for a protective killer to end up somewhere in between if he didn't repent properly.

Actually, according to Mormonism, only those who "deny the holy ghost" actually go to hell. All others inherit a degree of heavenly glory. Very few people would actually go to hell, according to Mormonism. (P.S. I used to be a gospel doctrine teacher.)

Back to the main topic...

No, it is not a sin, depending on the situation. It is the intention "in your heart" that determines sin or not. If any of my loved ones were attacked, it would be a sin for me not to protect them. (To allow harm to happen to other's who are good people is a sin of Omission, not Commission. The only exception would be if I was commanded by God not to stop the attacker, sort of like Abraham's story.) I am a very strong person. In a "fight or flight" type of situation, your strength can be enhanced by adrenalin. If I hit someone in in certain places, I could kill them, especially if I was protecting my loved ones. Case in point, if an attacker snuck into my house in the middle of the night and was trying to kill my wife, you can bet that I would be throwing punches to "shatter" the esophagus.

BTW, "turn the other cheek" does not mean to let someone beat your family to death, it is referring to people persecuting your for your beliefs and various other things of good intent.

Also, are animals sinning when they protect their young?

maham

No. Duh!

Symmetric Chaos

Not true. That only applies if your life isn't in real danger. One is meant to work within the law rather than taking an aggressive vigilante sort of stance

In fact IIRC thats from the same passage where he subtly tells the people to screw the Romans over as much as possible.

The Grey Fox
Hmmm

BIIIIIIIIIIIIID
think of it as going to war. kill or be killed.

inimalist
Originally posted by Dr. Zaius
One doesn't have to be an expert on the branch of philosophy known as Ethics or familiar with any religious belief system, to know that there is a plain moral distinction to be drawn between murder (commited for motives either venal or "principled"wink and killing in an act of self-defense or defense of another. In response to the question posed at the beginning of this thread, Christianity and Judaism acknowledge this distinction as well. The New Testament injunction to "turn the other cheek" is a proscription against seeking personal revenge, not a commandment to be a pacifist, or to stand back and let people be physically harmed.

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Not true. That only applies if your life isn't in real danger. One is meant to work within the law rather than taking an aggressive vigilante sort of stance

In fact IIRC thats from the same passage where he subtly tells the people to screw the Romans over as much as possible.

right, because the misinterpretations of every other sect's interpretation of a metaphorical 2000 year old document are entirely valid, but yet when I come up with something that is just as justified and hypocritical/paradoxical as anything that any other religion believes, it of course can't be admissible.

As far as I am concerned, followers of the Abrahamic texts must lay down their life passively to whomever is willing to take it cool

Symmetric Chaos
right, because the misinterpretations of every other sect's interpretation of a metaphorical 2000 year old document are entirely valid, but yet when I come up with something that is just as justified and hypocritical/paradoxical as anything that any other religion believes, it of course can't be admissible.

Are you a religious figure?

Thats what I though stick out tongue

As far as I am concerned, followers of the Abrahamic texts must lay down their life passively to whomever is willing to take it cool

laughing

inimalist
Are you a religious figure?

Thats what I though stick out tongue

rub it in sad

laughing

Its what Jesus would do

Symmetric Chaos
Its what Jesus would do

No, this is what Jesus would do.

EWuji6TADXM

inimalist
I'm a believer!

Symmetric Chaos
I'm a believer!

Not a trace
Of doubt in my mind

The Grey Fox
Originally posted by debbiejo
Then you write a book and make millions!!!

why

BobbyD
Originally posted by Naz
It'd all depend on the circumstances, I suppose. But if it were purely in the act of defending someone, there was no personal wish of yours to do harm to the attacker, then no, I don't think you would go to Hell. But I don't want to pretend to know what God would decide in that situation.

Well said.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.