Spacey set for 'Superman' sequel

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistOfThe North
Spacey

Kevin Spacey will return as Lex Luthor in "Superman: Man of Steel" and appear in "Telstar," Nick Moran's film version of Moran and James Hicks' 2005 darkly comic West End play about flamboyant '60s record mogul Joe Meek.
"Superman" director Bryan Singer met with Spacey in New York while the latter was appearing on Broadway in Eugene O'Neill's recently wrapped "Moon for the Misbegotten." Singer was about to pitch his "Man of Steel" sequel to Warner Bros.; "Superman Returns" scripter Michael Dougherty is now writing the screenplay.

After Singer completes "Valkyrie" and "The Mayor of Castro Street," he plans to start production on "Man of Steel" next year for a 2009 release.

Spacey hopes to shoot his Luthor role in a six-week block, as he did on "Superman Returns," after he completes his run in David Mamet's "Speed the Plow" in April.

This week, Spacey joined the cast of "Telstar," which started filming Monday in London. Meek is the gay, tone deaf songwriter-producer who produced hits including "Have I the Right," "Just Like Eddie," "Johnny, Remember Me" and the instrumental "Telstar." Con O'Neill reprises his stage role as Meek; Spacey plays his financier, Major Banks.

"It's exciting to be part of my first British ensemble film," Spacey said.

Spacey, who has eight years remaining on his 10-year contract as artistic director of London's Old Vic Theater, corrected recent Internet stories announcing his retirement from film acting in favor of the stage.

"My priorities have changed," he admitted on the phone from London. "Theater is the No. 1 thing in my life. But I love movies and will continue to make movies when I can."

In a June interview with "London Tonight" on Brit net ITV1, about a deal with Sam Mendes for the Bridge Project between the Old Vic and the Brooklyn Academy of Music, the Times of London quoted Spacey as saying, "I don't care about my personal acting career any more. I'm done with it."

On Tuesday, Spacey told Daily Variety, "In no way did I use the word retirement. Someone else pulled that out of thin air. It's false, there's not a lick of truth to it."

Spacey has two films in the can: David Dobkin's comedy "Fred Claus," which Warner Bros. will open Nov. 9, and Robert Luketic's "21," in which he plays an MIT professor who teaches his students to count cards. Latter is set for a March release by Columbia Pictures.

Spacey has also recorded two songs for a tribute CD to Dean Martin, "Forever Cool," which EMI will release on Aug. 14.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117968333.html?categoryid=13&cs=1&nid=2564

cyber tuff guy!
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Spacey

Kevin Spacey will return as Lex Luthor in "Superman: Man of Steel" and appear in "Telstar," Nick Moran's film version of Moran and James Hicks' 2005 darkly comic West End play about flamboyant '60s record mogul Joe Meek.
"Superman" director Bryan Singer met with Spacey in New York while the latter was appearing on Broadway in Eugene O'Neill's recently wrapped "Moon for the Misbegotten." Singer was about to pitch his "Man of Steel" sequel to Warner Bros.; "Superman Returns" scripter Michael Dougherty is now writing the screenplay.

After Singer completes "Valkyrie" and "The Mayor of Castro Street," he plans to start production on "Man of Steel" next year for a 2009 release.

Spacey hopes to shoot his Luthor role in a six-week block, as he did on "Superman Returns," after he completes his run in David Mamet's "Speed the Plow" in April.

This week, Spacey joined the cast of "Telstar," which started filming Monday in London. Meek is the gay, tone deaf songwriter-producer who produced hits including "Have I the Right," "Just Like Eddie," "Johnny, Remember Me" and the instrumental "Telstar." Con O'Neill reprises his stage role as Meek; Spacey plays his financier, Major Banks.

"It's exciting to be part of my first British ensemble film," Spacey said.

Spacey, who has eight years remaining on his 10-year contract as artistic director of London's Old Vic Theater, corrected recent Internet stories announcing his retirement from film acting in favor of the stage.

"My priorities have changed," he admitted on the phone from London. "Theater is the No. 1 thing in my life. But I love movies and will continue to make movies when I can."

In a June interview with "London Tonight" on Brit net ITV1, about a deal with Sam Mendes for the Bridge Project between the Old Vic and the Brooklyn Academy of Music, the Times of London quoted Spacey as saying, "I don't care about my personal acting career any more. I'm done with it."

On Tuesday, Spacey told Daily Variety, "In no way did I use the word retirement. Someone else pulled that out of thin air. It's false, there's not a lick of truth to it."

Spacey has two films in the can: David Dobkin's comedy "Fred Claus," which Warner Bros. will open Nov. 9, and Robert Luketic's "21," in which he plays an MIT professor who teaches his students to count cards. Latter is set for a March release by Columbia Pictures.

Spacey has also recorded two songs for a tribute CD to Dean Martin, "Forever Cool," which EMI will release on Aug. 14.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117968333.html?categoryid=13&cs=1&nid=2564

What a ****ing disaster, Singer should be shot!!!

Superherovandal
I'm okay with it as long he's no longer the main villain. and supes actually fights a villain for a change of pace.

larryfilmmaker
I would like to see a villain murder Jason in the final moments of the second movie, showing us that SUperman is now ready to MURDER the killer. At the end of the third film and after Superman has NOT killed, but has instead stuck to his code of honor, we find out that Luthor manipulated the entire thing to get Superman to abandon who he is, thus defeating and destroying "The Man of Steel". I know, I'm sweet.

Juntai
Anyone else think it's funny that the guys financier's name is Major Banks in that movie?

roughrider
In words of one syllable -

CAN-WE-GIVE-LEX-A-PASS-FOR-THE-LOVE-OF-GOD-PLEASE?!?!

He BETTER not be the main villain this time. This is why Superman has the rep of having a weak Rogue's Gallery, when filmmakers & writers can't see past a normal, bloody human like Lex as an archenemy.

starlock
Oh boy...this just does not feel right,i was hoping for a good superman movie...might have to wait a while...first off 2009 release hehe please i guess singer is so busy with his projects...wanna bet he does not do a third one(ala xmen3), Luthor should not be in the sequel period...i dont even care if he is not the main villan..the first movie imo was horrible and needs new plots and villans...i actually like spacey as lex..but please no more

pr1983
Originally posted by cyber tuff guy!
What a ****ing disaster, Singer should be shot!!!

hmm... i actually agree with you on this...

X-FAN
Originally posted by Superherovandal
I'm okay with it as long he's no longer the main villain. and supes actually fights a villain for a change of pace.
Agreed, I'm alright with a second chair status but I'm tired of Lex Luthor being in every singel movie (well I guess he wasn't in 3 but we aren't aknowledging anything after 2 right!) Superman has plenty of Villains without needing Lex to deal with every time!

roughrider
The only reason Lex wasn't in Superman III, was the producers wouldn't meet Gene Hackman's price. So, they created a clone of Lex in Robert Vaughn's corrupt industrialist with his henchmen. Just like the supercomputer Superman fights was originally going to be Braniac, but they changed their minds there, as well.

WrathfulDwarf
Props to Spacey for a well done Lex. thumb up

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.