anybody else feel the same way about The Pirates sequals?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mr Parker
That they just dont have the magic and charm that the original had? I just did not enjoy the sequals at all.

CaptinJackLover
umm just letting you know..most people in here will say they were awesome!!!!!

LadyofLight
I actually did like the sequels

Hambah
I said I liked them because I liked the second one, as well as the first. But I hardly liked the third.

ivebeendepped43
i heart the sequels. especially and foremost, the 3rd movie. sorry Mr Parker....MAN-SPIDER!!! HAHA!!

IheartPocky
OHYEAH! You're the guy that pm'ed about the man spider and whatnot with the home made cartridges... yup..

ivebeendepped43
lol looks like you got around, huh Mr Parker? lol

!!tangerines!!
i liked the 2nd movie better once id seen the 3rd one.

sparrowlady68
I like the 3rd movie better.

!!tangerines!!
me too and the first one.....................and the 2nd one...lol

Mrs Fish
I love sequals!
Not so exited abut the second movie,(I blame the lack of Barbossa) but I really loved the third!

tee_pirategirl
I LOVED 1&2.......and 3! LOL!

IMO the third could've been better but I still loved it to pieces. I've seen it so many times I can't even count.
The Jack wackiness, the Barbossa bits and Elizabeth's transormation has me hooked.

But it's not my fave...I dunno if I love DMC cause of Sparrabeth or COTBP because it was so original that ot blew my mind???

I'm really stuck between the two...STILL LOVE AWE THOUGH!! WHOOT!

joanjoan
I love COTBP the most smile I love DMC for hot J/E moments but there's too much Bootstrap's story there. I must say I love AWE too big grin but I hate the ending. There was not enough Jack there. He shouldn't have ended where he'd started. The last W/E scenes makes me very angry. I'm a little bit worried about POTC 4. It won't be before 2009. I think they should have made Jack the most important character of POTC3.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by CaptinJackLover
umm just letting you know..most people in here will say they were awesome!!!!!

Yeah I should have thought more about that before making the thread.I guess I should put this in the movie discussion section where the people will be more objective about it.Thanks for bringing that up,I did not think about that.

lovethemtigers
I loved the original POTC...i was crazy about the second one until the thrid one came out...I hated the third one and the way it all turned out put a damper on the second one for me...I mean don't get me wrong there are parts that I enjoyed...but Curse of the Black Pearl remains the best of the three...and it grossed the least amount of money out of the three....

Ditte3
I loved the original one:it was so good,fuuny full of sunshine.I loved the second:it was a bit darker though,but I loved sparrabeth,and it was funny and so meningful.I didn't like thethird that much.It wasn't well edited,and lecked mostly sparrabeth,and a crap ending it has.

!!tangerines!!
i love all of them.

christnabarrett
I think they were very important. If you can say they were better than nonPotC movies then it means yes. It's not the movie of the year to toss out.

The other questions are what movies should they had made, did they manage to completely ruin 1 (and how all,) and what kinds of things could they have accomplished otherwise. Not that you'll be able to answer that right away, though.

The problem is that it's like sometimes all you want to watch/like/think @ is PotC, but maybe it's just a favorite.

sailorleo
Originally posted by Mr Parker
Yeah I should have thought more about that before making the thread.I guess I should put this in the movie discussion section where the people will be more objective about it.Thanks for bringing that up,I did not think about that.

well...yeah...shoulda thought about it, but i agree with you completely...not that I don't love the others....but i noticed that distinct lake of magic that I believe came from them trying to make POTC the best thing since.....cookies....

willofthewisp
The sequels just get too busy at times. Nothing can compare to the first time you see something, especially if it's different. There hadn't been a pirate movie out for years and years, let alone one with as much uniqueness as COTBP. It would be near impossible to make people feel that newness in any sequel no matter how good it was.

SelinaAndBruce
Curse of the Black Pearl was the best one.

Sparrabeth...well Elizabeth in general ruined the second one.

And the increase in Elizabeth as well as a convulted story ruined the third.

christnabarrett
Originally posted by willofthewisp
The sequels just get too busy at times. Nothing can compare to the first time you see something, especially if it's different. There hadn't been a pirate movie out for years and years, let alone one with as much uniqueness as COTBP. It would be near impossible to make people feel that newness in any sequel no matter how good it was.

I think it is also a matter of time. I feel they actually should have had more POTC out in less time. Much more in much less.

christnabarrett
Originally posted by christnabarrett
I think it is also a matter of time. I feel they actually should have had more POTC out in less time. Much more in much less.

I think it should be over now.

christnabarrett
Originally posted by SelinaAndBruce

I felt Sparrow was absolutely perfect in a way still for some reason. I don't know what they were expecting, what mirror image. I thought it was however just completely intelligent, which really isn't something that always happens. It could be different, but that don't mean a thang. The thing you do is you toss out actors and he's always the last, not in any scenario, though. Johnny Depp is not 50. He's not really rugged old Jack Sparrow. That's all like acting.*

I felt Elizabeth (Keira) made the world. Definitely second to toss out. Maybe next could go Will actually.

I'm not so into writing PotC as the acting and science of the mystery.... Writing is nothing sometimes; it all has to do w/ can you think in the mindset of the pop scene and not give a frown. About respecting good ppl is a simple thing. Aha, like me, I'm complaining, no one else in particular.

*Basically, I'm into that kind of math. I was an organist, etc.

PirateDiva
Of course the Original was great! It was fresh and new and witty and charming and even though there was betrayal still happening it was light and fun!

The sequels started digging into darker feelings, revenge and betrayal being the center of it all! And angst was introduced....the sequels were no longer just a movie based on a ride, they went deeper!

But I have to say that Thank God for the Sequels because as much as Sparrabeth has taken over my life and probably destroyed the way i view relationships now if it werent for DMC I would have never experience the hottest fandom I've ever known, nor met any of you fine ppl!! So I say HORRAY FOR THE SEQUELS (specifically DMC)!!

SelinaAndBruce
Christna IA. I'd toss Elizabeth out of the films in a heart beat. Will not so much he really came of age in the sequels that is the only thing I think is redeeming about them is I liked Will more progressively throughout them.

But Elizabeth Swann and bad story telling techniques were the downfall of the series.

Pity since she was a believable heroine in COTBP.

queeq
Well, I think AWE just didn't deliver. Peoploe had their doubts about DMC, people felt it was disappointing. I always saw it as half a film (with AWE being the other half). Some things were lengthy but if it's part of a long (4 hour) film, then it places everything in perspective. But then AWE came along, stuck in so many little bits, crammed it with characters and lots of extra storylines that both had to be ended, and many little new ones that started and ended in AWE, that I felt it became messy. I think they ruined the character of Tia in making her Calypso... and the need for divine intervention (deus ex machina in its purest form) to bring the conflict to an end. Not very well done, IMHO.

christnabarrett
I felt Sparrow was absolutely perfect in a way still for some reason. I don't know what they were expecting, what mirror image. I thought it was however just completely intelligent, which really isn't something that always happens. It could be different, but that don't mean a thang. The thing you do is you toss out actors and he's always the last, not in any scenario, though. Johnny Depp is not 50. He's not really rugged old Jack Sparrow. That's all like acting.*

I felt Elizabeth (Keira) made the world. Definitely second to toss out. Maybe next could go Will actually.

I'm not so into writing PotC as the acting and science of the mystery.... Writing is nothing sometimes; it all has to do w/ can you think in the mindset of the pop scene and not give a frown. About respecting good ppl is a simple thing. Aha, like me, I'm complaining, no one else in particular.

I mean Elizabeth 2nd last to toss out and Will 3rd last to toss out and Jack (1st) last.

christnabarrett
Originally posted by queeq
Well, I think AWE just didn't deliver. Peoploe had their doubts about DMC, people felt it was disappointing. I always saw it as half a film (with AWE being the other half). Some things were lengthy but if it's part of a long (4 hour) film, then it places everything in perspective. But then AWE came along, stuck in so many little bits, crammed it with characters and lots of extra storylines that both had to be ended, and many little new ones that started and ended in AWE, that I felt it became messy. I think they ruined the character of Tia in making her Calypso... and the need for divine intervention (deus ex machina in its purest form) to bring the conflict to an end. Not very well done, IMHO.

LOL; I felt that Tia turning into Calypso was that and at the same time even primarily a tight save in many ways.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x57/neatokitty11/WillTurner3.jpg
(PotC Wikia)

fear

katelovespirate
Christna IA. I'd toss Elizabeth out of the films in a heart beat. Will not so much he really came of age in the sequels that is the only thing I think is redeeming about them is I liked Will more progressively throughout them.

But Elizabeth Swann and bad story telling techniques were the downfall of the series.

Pity since she was a believable heroine in COTBP.

the thing is, whether you like the character or not, an action series has to have an action heroine. almost every plot line hinged on her character. the series began and ended with her.

what on earth would have made you happy-- to randomly remove the character of Elizabeth after cotbp, and add some new mary sue to fill the gap? one word: continuity.

second thing-- critics who tore the films apart agreed Keira did a wonderful job in films 2 and 3-- they said her acting in film 1 was forgettable, but she and Johnny more or less saved the films in 2 and 3. i'm not saying you have to agree with the critics, but please consider that just because you didn't like a particular character (for reasons I still haven't heard explained in detail wink) doesn't mean they were badly written or acted. blaming the problems of the film on them would be like me blaming the problems of the film on Orlando Bloom. doesn't make sense. the writers wrote the film (sloppily), the director filmed the film, and producer okayed the film. the actors just did their jobs.

christnabarrett
Originally posted by PirateDiva
Of course the Original was great! It was fresh and new and witty and charming and even though there was betrayal still happening it was light and fun!

The sequels started digging into darker feelings, revenge and betrayal being the center of it all! And angst was introduced....the sequels were no longer just a movie based on a ride, they went deeper!

But I have to say that Thank God for the Sequels because as much as Sparrabeth has taken over my life and probably destroyed the way i view relationships now if it werent for DMC I would have never experience the hottest fandom I've ever known, nor met any of you fine ppl!! So I say HORRAY FOR THE SEQUELS (specifically DMC)!!

A nice token of burial for me. (ahaha something fun my dead grandpa was a funeral director)

Primarily DMC, though. I feel AWE is a surfacing of like the image of Hollywood stars with eyes popping out (ew!) as the movie (not the actors) like the raising of H*** before your eyes and that it can't leave. I've had the syndrome of closing my eyes and seeing demented cartoons etc. on TV that I've never seen before that which for whatever reason I in all H*** did not want to actually see. But I can't prove that, but it'd be an interesting idea either way. It sounds like it could be a truth if you really tried.. bunny

"venni venni vidi!" (not) (viny viny vichy?)

*I can't leave you hanging, the thing @ like that bunny is there is a book called The Cross-Eyed Rabbit published March 1988 that I think is the obsession:

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x57/neatokitty11/TheCross-EyedRabbit1.jpg
http://www.abebooks.co.uk/products/isbn/9780689504433/Boujon,+Claude%3B+Boujon,+Calude/The+Cross-Eyed+Rabbit/

There is a huge obsession with frogs... (I asked for that bedding for my 21st birthday, but I didn't get it. I'm finally getting it now.) I claimed that PotC was (all) made (all) after this "frog."

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x57/neatokitty11/Bedding-Bratz1b.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x57/neatokitty11/Bedding-Bratz1a.jpg
http://www.collector-connection.com/bratz-bedding-comforter.html

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x57/neatokitty11/PrettyPrincess1.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/Itsy-Bitsy-Bratz-Pretty-Princess/dp/B000GZ4WNK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1202660354&sr=8-2

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x57/neatokitty11/YasminandPrettyPrincess1.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x57/neatokitty11/YasminandPrettyPrincess2.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/Bratz-Big-Babyz-Princess-Yasmin/dp/B000PGPZXG/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1202660652&sr=8-15

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x57/neatokitty11/YasminandPrettyPrincess3.jpg
http://www.iqtoys.au.com/bratz-dolls.htm

(cont. bc too many images)

christnabarrett
(cont. bc too many images)

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x57/neatokitty11/SamandFriends1.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Henson

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x57/neatokitty11/Keroppi1.gif

(Yes, I think Davy Jones = Kermit the Frog jawdrop.)

queeq
Very on topic.

christnabarrett
youpi

/

doctor

SelinaAndBruce
Originally posted by katelovespirate
the thing is, whether you like the character or not, an action series has to have an action heroine. almost every plot line hinged on her character. the series began and ended with her.

what on earth would have made you happy-- to randomly remove the character of Elizabeth after cotbp, and add some new mary sue to fill the gap? one word: continuity.

second thing-- critics who tore the films apart agreed Keira did a wonderful job in films 2 and 3-- they said her acting in film 1 was forgettable, but she and Johnny more or less saved the films in 2 and 3. i'm not saying you have to agree with the critics, but please consider that just because you didn't like a particular character (for reasons I still haven't heard explained in detail wink) doesn't mean they were badly written or acted. blaming the problems of the film on them would be like me blaming the problems of the film on Orlando Bloom. doesn't make sense. the writers wrote the film (sloppily), the director filmed the film, and producer okayed the film. the actors just did their jobs.
And I've seen reviews that tore Keira apart in films 2 and 3 as well. It's not Keira Knightley so much although overall I do think she is one of the most highly overrated one note actresses in Hollywood, but it's the Elizabeth Swann character because I actually liked the character in Curse of the Black Pearl. No matter who played Elizabeth Swann from DMC on to AWE she was overkilled big time. They tried to do entirely too much with her character and some of that was Keira's fault because she is the one who came up with taking Sparrabeth there and she is the one who complained about not getting enough screentime in Dead Man's Chest so she had a ridiculous amount of screentime in At World's End.

She went from being a believable resourceful young woman who didn't have a lot of physical skills but could believably outwit pirates to Rambo the Ultra Piratista who would kick anyones ass take names later...she just was overkilled big time.

When I think of what Pirates of the Caribbean could have been if it had not devolved into "Who Loves Elizabeth Swann The Kick Ass Pirate King The Mostest" at certain parts it's really disappointing. The movies worked best when she was an integral part of an ensemble, when she became the focus they became horrendous.

Jack and Will should have gotten more focus. Jack's misadventures and Will's slow transformation into a pirate were better story arcs than Elizabeth's hyper transformation into Wonderpirate.

katelovespirate
haha very witty. smile

I do agree, I would have liked to see Jack get more screentime. I didn't really feel the vibe on the "ten Jacks and a goat" sequence, and wished they could have given him a more satisfactory ending. On that note, I totally agree with you.

However, I do still maintain that the character of Elizabeth was well-acted, even if I was seriously annoyed also by how every man in the Caribbean was in love with her. in that respect, yeah, they overdid it. but i am a major Keira Knightley fan, and i very much respect her as an artist. but you don't get a good chance to see that in Pirates, IMO, she IS ultimately playing a stock-character and a pirate-fantasy the writers are trying to live out. I think she did an amazing job of livening up the part.

but i do also agree that i liked her best when she was in the midst of the ensemble. i think we all (critics included) can say that the "let's all argue and try to shoot each other" scene on the deck of the pearl may have been the most cinematically pleasing and well put together scene in the film.

SelinaAndBruce
The ten Jacks was awful story wise though it never hurts to see several Johnny Depps in one place. AWE was just out of ideas then I think. They lost the essence of who Captain Jack was IMO in that movie trying to do too many funny gags.

I think Keira Knightley is good at what she does. I don't hate her or anything but she isn't that versatile IMO.

And she did become unfortunately some weird fantasy woman in Pirates 2 and 3. Like I said I actually liked Elizabeth and Jack in Pirates 1 and kind of found Will annoying. But that's because Elizabeh was relatable. I felt like I could do what Elizabeth did in Pirates one. She wasn't a fighter but she outwitted a lot of people and still managed to stay on her toes and be an asset.

By 2 and 3 she was a sword fighting gun wielding maniac and the most sexy woman there ever was on the Caribbean and then that relatability and believabilty was gone. Plus she got all the important lines, she just became a nuisance.

The story itself was bad though. What annoys me is that they wrecked the Elizabeth character IMO by the third movie. She could have really been a true heroin and they turned her into a joke.

christnabarrett

It seems the story is all about Elizabeth in one way (everyone knows,) basically, and then all about Will in another, even though he appears in the background, and ultimately all about Jack Sparrow, as that is what Keira calls its quits:

http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php/2007/05/29/keira_knightley_is_relieved_to_move_on_f/

"Keira Knightley Is 'Relieved' To Move On From Her 'Pirates' Character"

Movie star Keira Knightley is "relieved" to be taking on a new role in latest movie Atonement, because it's more of a challenge than her part in the Pirates Of The Caribbean series. The Pride and Prejudice actress stars alongside James McAvoy as star-crossed lovers in the movie, which is based on the Ian McEwan novel.

And the English beauty is grateful for the new role, because it has more depth than that of her Pirates character, Elizabeth Swann.

She tells British film magazine, Empire, "This is such a relief. Not that I don't enjoy all that Pirates stuff, but it's not about my character - it's about Johnny (Depp)'s character. It's not focusing on emotional turmoil. It's been great just to get my brain engaged. "

I think Johnny Depp seemed completely professional in Sparrabeth. I think Keira Knightly was perfect spot on. Most ppl think Sparrabeth is a cool thing to have. It's basically popular, but after ppl see it they look at themselves and forget what it did for them really. I'm more thankful than I an say for that part.. Sparrabeth is not really me at all, though. It's hard to know what it is that gets ppl interested even at a basic level anymore.

If PotC4 can focus more on Jack that means Sparrabeth out. Only the obvious.

christnabarrett
It seems the story is all about Elizabeth in one way (everyone knows,) basically, and then all about Will in another, even though he appears in the background, and ultimately all about Jack Sparrow, as that is what Keira calls its quits:

http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php/2007/05/29/keira_knightley_is_relieved_to_move_on_f/

"Keira Knightley Is 'Relieved' To Move On From Her 'Pirates' Character"

Movie star Keira Knightley is "relieved" to be taking on a new role in latest movie Atonement, because it's more of a challenge than her part in the Pirates Of The Caribbean series. The Pride and Prejudice actress stars alongside James McAvoy as star-crossed lovers in the movie, which is based on the Ian McEwan novel.

And the English beauty is grateful for the new role, because it has more depth than that of her Pirates character, Elizabeth Swann.

She tells British film magazine, Empire, "This is such a relief. Not that I don't enjoy all that Pirates stuff, but it's not about my character - it's about Johnny (Depp)'s character. It's not focusing on emotional turmoil. It's been great just to get my brain engaged. "

I think Johnny Depp seemed completely professional in Sparrabeth. I think Keira Knightly was perfect spot on. Most ppl think Sparrabeth is a cool thing to have. It's basically popular, but after ppl see it they look at themselves and forget what it did for them really. I'm more thankful than I an say for that part.. Sparrabeth is not really me at all, though. It's hard to know what it is that gets ppl interested even at a basic level anymore.

If PotC4 can focus more on Jack that means Sparrabeth out. Only the obvious.

Then it would be like PotC1: Curse of the Black Pearl!!

christnabarrett
The ten Jacks was awful story wise though it never hurts to see several Johnny Depps in one place. AWE was just out of ideas then I think. They lost the essence of who Captain Jack was IMO in that movie trying to do too many funny gags.

I think Keira Knightley is good at what she does. I don't hate her or anything but she isn't that versatile IMO.

And she did become unfortunately some weird fantasy woman in Pirates 2 and 3. Like I said I actually liked Elizabeth and Jack in Pirates 1 and kind of found Will annoying. But that's because Elizabeh was relatable. I felt like I could do what Elizabeth did in Pirates one. She wasn't a fighter but she outwitted a lot of people and still managed to stay on her toes and be an asset.

By 2 and 3 she was a sword fighting gun wielding maniac and the most sexy woman there ever was on the Caribbean and then that relatability and believabilty was gone. Plus she got all the important lines, she just became a nuisance.

The story itself was bad though. What annoys me is that they wrecked the Elizabeth character IMO by the third movie. She could have really been a true heroin and they turned her into a joke.

I think they didn't follow through on the "modeling."

Ppl want to see reference to what they picture the ideal... Maybe a young girl as Elizabeth with thin pale skin, red cheeks, red lips, and white hair. Maybe several ages. Then she can descend and play the part of Elizabeth, if she's still alive. twisted1 And even spray the tan. Ppl are altogether just stupid censored and pay attention to unpopular ppl and it would be very expensive. sp_ike I mean, life is already this hard, and this just isn't.. borg

They're basically both just giving the actors too easy a time and killing them.

death

= a completely easy time = nothing at all is happening in Hollywood

My biggest thing basically is when actors look funny and in soo different a way than most ppl, like the myth that they are completely worse in actuality.. I don't think the actors want to look funny and moreso don't want ppl to call them that.. embarrasment

inlove hm..

christnabarrett
Originally posted by katelovespirate
haha very witty. smile

I do agree, I would have liked to see Jack get more screentime. I didn't really feel the vibe on the "ten Jacks and a goat" sequence, and wished they could have given him a more satisfactory ending. On that note, I totally agree with you.

However, I do still maintain that the character of Elizabeth was well-acted, even if I was seriously annoyed also by how every man in the Caribbean was in love with her. in that respect, yeah, they overdid it. but i am a major Keira Knightley fan, and i very much respect her as an artist. but you don't get a good chance to see that in Pirates, IMO, she IS ultimately playing a stock-character and a pirate-fantasy the writers are trying to live out. I think she did an amazing job of livening up the part.

but i do also agree that i liked her best when she was in the midst of the ensemble. i think we all (critics included) can say that the "let's all argue and try to shoot each other" scene on the deck of the pearl may have been the most cinematically pleasing and well put together scene in the film.

I agree the 10 Jacks and a goat is a quick completely boring/dull insult.

My favorite part is when Jack finally gets an opportunity to pick up Elizabeth, for reasons not that I would want to be her. I considered that PotC3:AWE since he didn't really know her yet in 1.

blowup

I think scenes with Jack encountering things like the thump-thump, the members of the navy, people on land, Scarlett and Giselle, etc., are what makes it in Hollywood in much most highlight. The children's series Pirates of the Caribbean: Jack Sparrow is bittersweet to set it off.

CiAo Happy Dance

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.