Heavenly Sword

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

InnerRise
This game really had me excited when we saw it last year at E3, but after seeing more gameplay tonight, I'm less excited.

The fighting looked hardly anything like what has been previously shown and really had me wondering whether if all of the fighting we saw in the Trailer was In-Game Cutscenes.

From what was shown, there were only 2 moments during combat in which the camera got close up and the character pulled off a move that looked as good as what was previously shown. The rest looked like button mashing and it wasn't a close up camera, which was all they showed last year. The camera was farther away, just like in any other game, showing her among a number of enemies hitting them.

Of course, maybe the character's moves become more powerful and diverse as the game progresses, but I was under the impression that the combat in which we saw in the trailer was what the game was all about, but obviously not.

The interactive in game cutscenes did look pretty good though. Really good.

Anata Wa Wakarimasu Ka.....

xNIXSONx
heavenly sword's base gameplay looks a lot like God of War, but with a chick and if the sword drains your health (shinobi much?)

SaTsuJiN
Penny Arcade has some interesting tidbits about heavenly sword

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/7499/20070912gl0.jpg

Smasandian
Heared alright things about this game.

I think 1up summed it up as 1 part Dynasty Warriors, 1 part RE4 (timed events), 1 part God Of War.

Blax_Hydralisk
Oh yeah.. this game. God of War 4.

Impediment
I have the demo downloaded on my PS3, and I wasn't exactly blown away by this game, but I was not disappointed, either.

A lot of people say this game ought to be titled "Goddess of War", but the demo I have is kinda short and I don't have enough play time to make such a judgement.

All said, the graphics are absolutely gorgeous, and the music & voice acting are spot on. I may have to rent this game before buying, however.

InnerRise
Originally posted by Impediment
I have the demo downloaded on my PS3, and I wasn't exactly blown away by this game, but I was not disappointed, either.

A lot of people say this game ought to be titled "Goddess of War", but the demo I have is kinda short and I don't have enough play time to make such a judgement.

All said, the graphics are absolutely gorgeous, and the music & voice acting are spot on. I may have to rent this game before buying, however. Well if you don't mind owning a game that you've previously completed/beaten as a rental.....

(SHORT GAME/NOT WORTH PRICE)

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by InnerRise
This game really had me excited when we saw it last year at E3, but after seeing more gameplay tonight, I'm less excited.

The fighting looked hardly anything like what has been previously shown and really had me wondering whether if all of the fighting we saw in the Trailer was In-Game Cutscenes.

From what was shown, there were only 2 moments during combat in which the camera got close up and the character pulled off a move that looked as good as what was previously shown. The rest looked like button mashing and it wasn't a close up camera, which was all they showed last year. The camera was farther away, just like in any other game, showing her among a number of enemies hitting them.

Of course, maybe the character's moves become more powerful and diverse as the game progresses, but I was under the impression that the combat in which we saw in the trailer was what the game was all about, but obviously not.

The interactive in game cutscenes did look pretty good though. Really good.

Anata Wa Wakarimasu Ka.....

I agree. This game looks like it would have been an exceptional and much needed launch title. However, after seeing more of the gameplay, it looks un-spectacular and dissapointing. i can tell already that this game will be a redundant dynasty-esqu game with more full filling combo's and adventure. Will that be enough? For some but for me, it will have released a year to late and i can care less already if i ever play it.

Morridini
So I just started and finished this game, odd seeing almost no discussion in this thread. And it seems no one posted after it was released...

Anyways, this is definitley a God of War clone, however I did enjoy this a lot more then I did God of War 1 and 2, the combat seemed to flow a lot better, and I loved the fact that there were not multiple weapons and no upgrading, which was one of the most tiresome parts of GoW.

Here's hoping for a sequel, or a spiritual-sequel as the story of the Heavenly Sword is finished.

Smasandian
Yeah, I played it when I got my PS3.

It's one of those games that would of been fun and a good showcase of the hardware when the the system got released but now, it's meh.

One of those forgettable games early in the infancy of the console. None less, it's a well made game.

Juk3n
Originally posted by Morridini
So I just started and finished this game, odd seeing almost no discussion in this thread. And it seems no one posted after it was released...

Anyways, this is definitley a God of War clone, however I did enjoy this a lot more then I did God of War 1 and 2, the combat seemed to flow a lot better, and I loved the fact that there were not multiple weapons and no upgrading, which was one of the most tiresome parts of GoW.

Here's hoping for a sequel, or a spiritual-sequel as the story of the Heavenly Sword is finished.

No sequal, but the teams next game 'ENSLAVED' is out soon, and looks very nice indeed. As for HS, wasn't ground breaking, but combat was LOVELY and i was compelled to finish it from the start, that, i think is the mark of a good game. Also, hnd drawn backgrounds kicked ASS.

Sin_Volvagia
Originally posted by Morridini

How this is a God of War clone? Because Nariko can take on multiple enemies and can transform her sword into a whip-like form? Not good enough. Sure it was inspired by God of War (and even has an easter egg related to it) but it barely plays like it.

You want a God of War clone? Check Dante's Inferno.

Morridini
I use the term "God of War clone" in the sammer manner as "Hacn 'n slash", in the same way people call "sandbox" games for "GTA clones". It's just a choice of words, as every time you talk about a game in those genres, someone will eventualy compare them to those two games.

CosmicComet
To be honest, this game sucked.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.