Insect Interaction Ive Never Seen This Before

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Pressure
Now over a course of a few weeks I noticed dead Butterfly bodies scatted everywhere. The other day I was outside and I noticed a grup of about 10 Butterflies and there were pigeons behind them I was thinking that the pigeons would eat some of the butterflyies. But they were just waiting patiently.

Now I also noticed that the pigeons were looking down on something then I followed where their eyes were moving to and I noticed A smaller group of about 8 Praying Mantises. Now I thought that was odd since I had never seen more than 1 Mantis at once.

Then the butterflies flew down to the Mantises and they began attacking each other. A few minutes into the fight the pigeons started swooping down on the butterflies and most of the butterflies flew away. There were 2 still attacking. Now at least 5 of the Mantises were still fighting and 3 started to gang up on one Butterfly. Then some Random Scorpion came out from a branch on a tree in my yard. Then the Mantises that were ganging up on the Butterfly seemed like they were frightened and left.

Then one of the mantises tried to snatch the butterfly in mid air but instead its forleg stabbed the butterfly through the head and then he grabbed the body and the head still stuck on its forleg seperated from the body decapitating the butterfly.

Now the only other Mantis remaining went after the scorpion and did nothing except allow the scorpion to grap it with its pincers and that was the end to the Mantis as the scorpion crushed it in half with its 2 pincers. Then the remaining insects just simply left. For the deceased insects I buried them in small holes I dug on the side of my house.

I have never seen conflict like this between 2 insect grups before. I want your thoughts on this. I seperated the words to make it easier to read.

Robtard
You're telling me that a butterfly attacked and successfully fending off an attack from a praying mantis?

You've clearly watched way too much LOTR...

Schecter
i smell bullshit. lots and lots of bullshit

Shika
If the birds were in the air....how did you see their eyes?

Quark_666
Lol! I just got done writing about how stupid Long Pig's topic was. You know, about how women should be able to get over being raped as easily as if they'd just been beat up. I told him I'd seen only a few stupider topics. I hadn't seen this yet, but I think this qualifies!

Robtard
Originally posted by Shika
If the birds were in the air....how did you see their eyes?

He didn't say they were in the air... just that he followed their pigeon eyes.

He does have quite a backyard though, butterflies, pigeons, praying mantis and scorpions, oh my.

Fishy
I want to trade houses...

Anyways try making a film next time. I mean conflicts like these are usually parts of huge interspecies wars... Let's just hope it doesn't spread before we know it whales will be attacking sharks, and we all know that innocent fisherman will be caught in the cross fire.

Shika
Originally posted by Robtard
He didn't say they were in the air... just that he followed their pigeon eyes.

He does have quite a backyard though, butterflies, pigeons, praying mantis and scorpions, oh my.

He said that they swooped down.

just figured they were in the air.

The Black Ghost
Dude where do you live? Sounds like something out of narnia. "And the butterflies heroically fended off the evil hordes of preying mantis.."

If that really happened, although unlikely, its cool.

vivando-loca
someone's got quite the imagination. fruits_apple

Symmetric Chaos
Just due to the size difference I seriously doubt a preying mantis could stab a butterfly though the head.

ADarksideJedi
Never heard of this happening before.Pretty interesting.jm

Schecter
i got to witness a praying mantis have a post-mating feast. pretty wild.

Robtard
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
Never heard of this happening before.Pretty interesting.jm

Probably because he's the first person in the history of Internet posting to spin together such a stupid story of butterfly, pigeon, mantis and scorpion battle-royal.

Robtard
Originally posted by Schecter

admit it, you stored that one in the spank-bank for later use.

Schecter
well, i didnt see them actually mate. a place i worked at had a wooden gazeebo outside for us filthy smokers. anyway there were 2 hanging out on a wood beam. about an hour later i came back and one was eating the other. 2 hours later i came back and watched her snatch up the last piece of limb. ate the whole ****ing thing laughing out loud

Symmetric Chaos

The best part is that it starts during mating.

Röland
If you had filmed this intense battle, it could have been 2008's biggest blockbuster.

Do I smell an Oscar nod?

Robtard
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
The best part is that it starts during mating.

Yeah, the male can't perfome/ejeculate until the female eats his head... talk about kinky.

Röland
Yeah, the male can't perfome/ejeculate until the female eats his head... talk about kinky.

Sucks for the male.

Symmetric Chaos

Worst (or perhaps best) use of a second brain ever.

Schecter
the male actually doesnt need to be eaten. it could just brick and walk away. its just that they seem programmed to offer themselves up for a feast.

Robtard
the male actually doesnt need to be eaten. it could just brick and walk away. its just that they seem programmed to offer themselves up for a feast.

That's not what the narrator on Animal Planet said. The males sacrifice also ensures that the female has a good dose of food to help gestate the eggs... now that's a father!

Schecter
http://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/mantis1.asp

:edit: yes, there is a purpose to the ritual, im just saying that its not necessary for fertility.

Robtard
http://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/mantis1.asp

****ing Animal Planet! What else have they lied to me about.

Schecter
i get more steamed at some of the shit i see on the history channel. screw the bugs.

Symmetric Chaos
screw the bugs.

droolio

Robtard
i get more steamed at some of the shit i see on the history channel. screw the bugs.

That's my favorite channel, though I find myself Internet searching things when I hear something that doesn't quite sound right.

BlaxicanHydra

Dogfights. New Season.

http://images.killermovies.com/forums/customsmilies/droolio.gif

vivando-loca
laughing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.