Who Cares abot Beckham coming to the US?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

headrek1
I for one don't, but I'm tired of the hype around this guy, saying he'll save soccer in the US. WRRROONNGGG!!! Nobody in America gives two s#$%s about the sport, and even less about this guy, before ESPN talking about this last year I had never even heard of the guy and I'd say I represent the majority of Americans, at least those who don't follow the Tabloids talking about his wife, who in that case have a better idea of who he is than I did. It's not even like this guy is that good anymore. From what I hear he's better than Mike when he was with the wizards, but not as good as him when he was with the Bulls, and if he can't dominate at a ,Pre Wiz, Jordan-esque level on the field the chances of him creating interest, yet alone saving the sport are slim at best.

DARKLORDCAEDUS
I could care less. Beckham is nothing but a washed up has been. His wife is an anorexic. I hope they fall flat on the butts.

jaden101
he wont save football in the US cause if Pele couldn't...he certainly cant

ironic though that football is the biggest sport in the world and if the US threw their considerable resources behind it they could probably dominate the world

as for Beckham being past his prime...some would argue he just had the best season of his career in terms of his level of playing

chillmeistergen
It shows how shit US football is just by looking at the team names. L.A Galaxy, for Christ's sake, get a grip. Do Americans have something built into them that makes them only like something, if it's completely commercially orientated?

Of course he's not going to save soccer, most Americans are too busy watching a version of rounders where the players where silly hats.

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Beckham did not do anything in the World Cup.

chillmeistergen
Well, he cried a bit. But then what did America do? What do they ever do in the world cup?

DigiMark007
I like soccer and I'm in the states. I'm also a Galaxy fan. Beckham's kinda "meh" in my book, but it might be a fun boost for the sport...MLS doesn't have a huge market, but it's making money....so I'm at least happy we support the sport enough to sustain a league.

Victor Von Doom
I don't know if it will have an impact over the long-term. It will obviously pique interest for a while, but who knows whether that will transmute into something concrete.

Originally posted by DARKLORDCAEDUS
I could care less.

People need to stop saying this.

vandalworks
its obviously a high profile signing for an american club, and possibly helped by their federation. if a big name like beckham goes there it could possibly pave teh way for other players to go. i do doubt it though, as its just not that popular there.

guy222
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
I don't know if it will have an impact over the long-term. It will obviously pique interest for a while, but who knows whether that will transmute into something concrete.

He has a right to his opinion

Smasandian
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
It shows how shit US football is just by looking at the team names. L.A Galaxy, for Christ's sake, get a grip. Do Americans have something built into them that makes them only like something, if it's completely commercially orientated?

Of course he's not going to save soccer, most Americans are too busy watching a version of rounders where the players where silly hats.

What do you expect? Since late 1880's, American teams have been named after something. What's the big problem with it?

I like how Toronto named ther MLS team. It's simple. Toronto FC.

draxx_tOfU
Originally posted by headrek1
I for one don't, but I'm tired of the hype around this guy, saying he'll save soccer in the US. WRRROONNGGG!!! Nobody in America gives two s#$%s about the sport, and even less about this guy, before ESPN talking about this last year I had never even heard of the guy and I'd say I represent the majority of Americans, at least those who don't follow the Tabloids talking about his wife, who in that case have a better idea of who he is than I did. It's not even like this guy is that good anymore. From what I hear he's better than Mike when he was with the wizards, but not as good as him when he was with the Bulls, and if he can't dominate at a ,Pre Wiz, Jordan-esque level on the field the chances of him creating interest, yet alone saving the sport are slim at best.

obviously you care about him coming if you're that stirred up...

besides, what's wrong with injecting some spice(no pun intended) to a fledgeling sport in hopes to pique national attention and interest...

the hype and intrigue is definitely a welcome to the almost non-existent U.S. soccer sport...

as proven in the U.K., nothing stirs up sh!t better than the tabloids especially a glam couple like Dave and Posh, who are arguably bigger there than Brangelina...

as a fan of the sport, i welcome him...

although they could've gotten somebody better like Luis Figo...

evil face

Smasandian
Figo?

Come on, he doesnt sell tickets like Beckham does. That's the whole point, and good for football in North America.

deathbunnyman
i dont think he really cares about introducing football to the US. hes in it for the millions of dollars every week. If LA had offered him any less, he'd have stayed in madrid. but i bet victoria influenced it. gawwwwd she loves feeding off beckham's fame and money despite having no talent whatsoever. lol spice girls comin back sick sick sick

draxx_tOfU
Originally posted by Smasandian
Figo?

Come on, he doesnt sell tickets like Beckham does. That's the whole point, and good for football in North America.

oops I meant better skills and not on popularity to sell tickets...

even at skill with both at their peak, admittedly, it's debateable...

smile

Df02
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom

It's amazing how people can't grasp how stupid they are when they say that... since the words quite clearly counter the point they're trying to make.

"I COULDN'T care less."

As for Beckham in America, it was a pointless move for him, he should have stayed at Real and let America wallow in it's own sports that only they play.

botankus
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
It shows how shit US football is just by looking at the team names. L.A Galaxy, for Christ's sake,

In general I would like to see less American professional teams named after some form of cat. Panthers, Jaguars, Cougars, Lions, hell, I think even the Nashville Predator is some kind of a cat. I'm waiting on Kitty-Cats for the next expansion team. What about Hellhounds, Bloodhounds, Dobermans, or Rottweilers?

Deano
america dont like the sport because they didnt invent it. thats how i figure. it would be un patriotic to like soccer

T.M
Originally posted by Deano
america dont like the sport because they didnt invent it. thats how i figure. it would be un patriotic to like soccer

I guess there is a bit of that.. but baseball isn't an American invention either.

I think it is fantastic news for the MLS that Beckham is going. L.A Galaxy's season ticket and shirt sales have both trebled since he joined, I doubt it will attract long term interest but if football is backed there I can see it catching on over the next few years.

WrathfulDwarf
Welcome to America Beckham.

Not welcome to America...hooligan idiots.

jSguQlfaNgg

T.M
Thats just British fans having a good time..

Bicnarok

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by guy222
He has a right to his opinion

Who said he hasn't?

The_Mayor
Since when?????

Darth Vicious
Im surprised Soccer never found an audience here in the U.S considering that most high schools/colleges have soccer leagues. While I dont care about the Beckams(well I care a little about Posh's fake breasts) I think the might get people interested a little but it will fade soon.

pepperjeff
Originally posted by Darth Vicious
Im surprised Soccer never found an audience here in the U.S considering that most high schools/colleges have soccer leagues. While I dont care about the Beckams(well I care a little about Posh's fake breasts) I think the might get people interested a little but it will fade soon.

It reminds me of that Simpsons episode. It's all here: fast-kicking, low scoring, and ties? You bet!

DigiMark007
It's popular to bash Becks, but honestly, soccer is getting more attention in the States because of him. I like soccer, so that's a good thing, because more stuff is being televised, whether it directly involves him or not.

So is he the 2nd coming? Of course not. But he's had a positive influence on the sport here in America.

Shadow_King
maybe if he took less than 250 mill then maybe people wouldnt bash him so much.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by DigiMark007
It's popular to bash Becks, but honestly, soccer is getting more attention in the States because of him. I like soccer, so that's a good thing, because more stuff is being televised, whether it directly involves him or not.

So is he the 2nd coming? Of course not. But he's had a positive influence on the sport here in America.

That's all he'll ever do, make it famous, make it "cool". He's not actually making it better cos he's an average player. I would go so far as to say somewhere, the States probably have better players.

-AC

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
That's all he'll ever do, make it famous, make it "cool". He's not actually making it better cos he's an average player. I would go so far as to say somewhere, the States probably have better players.

-AC

Agreed. He's one of the best at set-pieces because he can place the ball so well, but he's not a top tier player anymore (if he ever was).

But even though I could care less about him personally, if he means that ESPN, ABC, and random other channels carry, say, 1 extra soccer game a week....then he's accomplished something. Maybe not 250 million-worth of something, but it's a start.

Alpha Centauri
Well if he's a catalyst for genuine football fans to get to watch more football in general, can't complain.

And it's "I COULDN'T care less.". If you COULD care less it means you care.

-AC

DigiMark007
But...but what if I do care?

pepperjeff
Originally posted by Shadow_King
maybe if he took less than 250 mill then maybe people wouldnt bash him so much.

A large sum of money was essential. If they paid him a pittance then there wouldn't be so much hype. They paid for hype.

Discos
they pay for the name, not the player.

Beckham and his circus is really what the Galaxy want and 1 man may propell soccor in the US but Galaxy don't really care, for some reason these american teams have more money than the rest of the world to waste - so its not like Galaxy are relying on results to take in revenue.

I feel sorry for Beckham, for the fact that he signed a 5year deal with such a small league, pityful.

Bicnarok

Alpha Centauri
Why not?

What will you lose if they do?

-AC

don't shiv
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Agreed. He's one of the best at set-pieces because he can place the ball so well, but he's not a top tier player anymore (if he ever was).

But even though I could care less about him personally, if he means that ESPN, ABC, and random other channels carry, say, 1 extra soccer game a week....then he's accomplished something. Maybe not 250 million-worth of something, but it's a start.

I heard if you watch the games of the big teams over in Germany Spain England and Italy they can make your eyes water with eXcitements

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.