LHC -- Worth it?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

leonidas
http://lhc.web.cern.ch/lhc/

so the large hadron collider will come on line (supposedly) at the end of the year. the newest supercollider has been built to find the elusive higgs boson which will in turn verify (supposedly) the existence of the all-important higgs field and help further our understanding of things like -- why does matter weigh something instead of nothing? why is there so much matter and so little anti-matter? some even think it may lead to a theory of 'everything'.

it costed about a billion dollars and involved many of the greatest minds on earth. it is the most sophisticated thing mankind has ever devised but there is still no guarantee it will really show us anything we don't ALREADY know.

was it worth the price and effort, or should those minds and that money have been used elsewhere?

AngryManatee
Worth it

Fishy
Totally worth it. Science just costs a lot of money sometimes.

AngryManatee
Regardless, I think it's better to spend 1 billion dollars on that rather than less than half of a B-2 stealth bomber

inimalist
Originally posted by AngryManatee
Regardless, I think it's better to spend 1 billion dollars on that rather than less than half of a B-2 stealth bomber

check AND mate

Mindship
Yes.

Fishy
Originally posted by AngryManatee

Well less then half of a stealth bomber really wouldn't do anybody a lot of good now would it?

And really are those things that expensive? Talk about a waste of money

teh_perfection
What is it?

chillmeistergen
Yes, it's definitely worth it.

Fishy
Originally posted by teh_perfection
What is it?

You know, there is a link in the first post. I'd suggest following it and then reading what it says, before asking anymore stupid questions.

Bardock42
To smash protons moving at 99.999999% of the speed of light into each other and so recreate conditions a fraction of a second after the big bang. The LHC experiments try and work out what happened.

So..I figure we are all going to die...no expression

BlaxicanHydra
I concur. One of the reasons why I don't like Scientists in general is that more then half of the time they spend "so much time thinking if they could, they never stop to think if they should."

I dunno. I heard awhile they were trying to recreate the big bang or a black hole in an experiment... not the best thing to do, kids.

Shakyamunison
LHC -- Worth it?

Yes, I can't wait...

AngryManatee
Originally posted by Fishy
Well less then half of a stealth bomber really wouldn't do anybody a lot of good now would it?

And really are those things that expensive? Talk about a waste of money

Yeah it's amazing. Each B-2 costs about 2.2 billion dollars to produce.

teh_perfection
Originally posted by Fishy
You know, there is a link in the first post. I'd suggest following it and then reading what it says, before asking anymore stupid questions. Link isn't working for me thank you.

ragesRemorse
so what is the LHC?

ADarksideJedi
Originally posted by leonidas
http://lhc.web.cern.ch/lhc/

so the large hadron collider will come on line (supposedly) at the end of the year. the newest supercollider has been built to find the elusive higgs boson which will in turn verify (supposedly) the existence of the all-important higgs field and help further our understanding of things like -- why does matter weigh something instead of nothing? why is there so much matter and so little anti-matter? some even think it may lead to a theory of 'everything'.

it costed about a billion dollars and involved many of the greatest minds on earth. it is the most sophisticated thing mankind has ever devised but there is still no guarantee it will really show us anything we don't ALREADY know.

was it worth the price and effort, or should those minds and that money have been used elsewhere?

Money else where.jm confused

BlaxicanHydra
Just wondering, why the new Jackie Malfoy account? Why not use your old one?

dadudemon
I would rather spend a billion dollars on a particle collider than 500 + billion in Iraq. In fact, I wish that most of the money spent in Iraq was spent on NASA and other science projects...but I am a "scientist" and therefore I cannot be truly objective with the question.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.