Whats up with these fantasy movies?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Altar[1stONE]
I couldnt find a forum anywhere on the internet discussing this topic, so i thought id take the liberty.

Has anyone noticed this over kill of fantasy movies on the rise. They are eragon esqe sorta, ill list all the ones ive seen so far.

Stardust
The Golden Compass
Spiderwick Chronicles
The Water Horse
There was Bridge to Tarebethia or whatever
For all i know "The Artic Tale" might be a Narnia looking flick, or just another sh*tty story about creatures in the artic.

Now the thing thats really annoying me about these flicks is, they always fool me. I can never tell if its a Narnia or Eragon Sequel. And even if they were, i wouldnt watch them. But whats going on with hollywood, why are they making film after film about books ive never heard of. Or films based off someones imagination , like lady in the water or somethin. My personal opinion, they are trying to make another movie that will be successful like lord of the rings, HAH good luck.

Anyways , rant on as you please, i just wanted to see if anyone else was noticing this pattern of movies to come.
smokin'

coolmovies
Lolz nothing will beat Lotr not even star wars

exanda kane
The Golden Compass shouldn't really be included in that list. Source material is much better than those around it, even if superficial and materialist.

BlaxicanHydra
They're all trying to bite off of the HUGE hype that Lord of the Rings made in terms of actual serious, not Disney made fantasy movies. Lord of the Rings set a new standard in movie making. That's why whenever they try to pass off a movie as epic, they make it three hours long.

Altar[1stONE]
Originally posted by exanda kane
The Golden Compass shouldn't really be included in that list. Source material is much better than those around it, even if superficial and materialist.

Reguardless, The Golden Compass is gonna tank hard lol. Theres nothing in this movie that i absolutly must see. The trailer itself ...ughh..just disgusting . Id put it up there with The secret diaries of the ya ya Bit*h hood.

exanda kane
Not with the star pedigree involved., it might not float your sinking boat, but it'll bring out the families in hoards. Phillip Pullman himself is an idiot, but he can tell a good story.

In answer to your slightly idiotic question; simply because there is a market for it. The triumpth of Lord of the Rings proved that fantasy epics can be made with today's technological wizardry, and Harry Potter proved that "Children's Literature" can hit a crossover audience. The result? A lot of profit for a Hollywood finding it's audience ever more marginalised. This gives inspiration for lesser fiction to be adapted and sold.

While His Dark Material's isn't on a level of Harry Potter, Narnia or Tolkien's works, it's a damn sight better than anything else on your hitlist.

Altar[1stONE]
what are you his lawyer?

BlaxicanHydra
It's funny how in the preview for tGC they start off saying "First, we brought you Lord of the Rings...". They're so obviously trying to ride on the wave of hype.

ADarksideJedi
Originally posted by Altar
I couldnt find a forum anywhere on the internet discussing this topic, so i thought id take the liberty.

Has anyone noticed this over kill of fantasy movies on the rise. They are eragon esqe sorta, ill list all the ones ive seen so far.

Stardust
The Golden Compass
Spiderwick Chronicles
The Water Horse
There was Bridge to Tarebethia or whatever
For all i know "The Artic Tale" might be a Narnia looking flick, or just another sh*tty story about creatures in the artic.

Now the thing thats really annoying me about these flicks is, they always fool me. I can never tell if its a Narnia or Eragon Sequel. And even if they were, i wouldnt watch them. But whats going on with hollywood, why are they making film after film about books ive never heard of. Or films based off someones imagination , like lady in the water or somethin. My personal opinion, they are trying to make another movie that will be successful like lord of the rings, HAH good luck.

Anyways , rant on as you please, i just wanted to see if anyone else was noticing this pattern of movies to come.
smokin'

Yep I noticed as well.Movies been going down here so badly.That people been really looking forward to the hp movies and Pirates 3 and the Simpson movies!Sad as it is.It is true.jm sad

Kayne Archeron
Golden Compass is NOTHING like Eragon, but i do agree that there is a large amount of Fantasy movies lately. I'm not complaining, it's my favorite genre XD

ragesRemorse
I thought bridge to teribithia and the last mimzy were solid kid movies. They had substance and great pacing.

the spiderwick and golden compass look to be solid productions in the genre.

It is really just a cycle. Fantasy movies are appealing to society right now, so obviously hollywood is going to keep making them until there is a drop off.

Personally, i'm all for quality fantasy flicks. Anything that invokes imagination is a good thing i say. I would however, prefer a few more geared towards adults, but i i must say most of the fantasy flicks to have been released of late posess more quality than most other trends. This is probably a biased opinion though just because i like the genre

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
Yep I noticed as well.Movies been going down here so badly.That people been really looking forward to the hp movies and Pirates 3 and the Simpson movies!Sad as it is.It is true.jm sad

what is wrong with people looking forward to pirates 3 and the simpsons? Pirates is nothing more than an adventure franchise that usually delivers fun entertianment.

The simpsons movie is birthed from the longest running television show ever. I'm more than positive that if there were a movie being made based on a tv show that you enjoy, you would be looking forward to it aswell.

The harry potter movies are inspired by a very well written fairy tale. Of course its not going to focus on social ills, or the human condition, but it tells a fun and engaging story that sparks the imagination.

People look forward to intellectualy thrilling movies just as much as mindless adventure flicks...so why not get down off your high horse and try to ahve some fun big grin

Vim
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
what is wrong with people looking forward to pirates 3 and the simpsons? Pirates is nothing more than an adventure franchise that usually delivers fun entertianment.

The simpsons movie is birthed from the longest running television show ever. I'm more than positive that if there were a movie being made based on a tv show that you enjoy, you would be looking forward to it aswell.

The harry potter movies are inspired by a very well written fairy tale. Of course its not going to focus on social ills, or the human condition, but it tells a fun and engaging story that sparks the imagination.

People look forward to intellectualy thrilling movies just as much as mindless adventure flicks...so why not get down off your high horse and try to ahve some fun big grin

I agree, I was brave enough to say that I enjoyed sitting through the mind numbingness that was The Marine, mainly because I hadn't seen a movie of this type in a long while, not since Arnie's "Commando" have so many things been blown up. I enjoyed watching the uber-perfect couple that was John Cena and ... uh ... dang it... forgot her name... It doesn't matter she was hot. Anyway, I have to see it is particularly nice to see the fantasy genre getting its go ahead. The LoTR series really jump started it and I think its a good thing. I want to see more. Eragon should have been longer and more time spent on it like the quote from the movie "I was expecting more...", but Bridge to Terabitha... uuuhhhh... I got the point, but I just keep wanting more, more stuff to happen and it didn't deliver.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.