Christianity Gone Tomorrow?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

PITT_HAPPENS

inimalist
I personally think that science has for hundreds of years been able to "disprove" the Christian God of the Bible. People like to believe though, and they are indoctrinated from a young age into how they are supposed to think.

If anything, I feel science making a statement like "there is no way that a God could exist" would simply polorize the masses. Those who are supportive of science would go that way (I'm sure there would be some religious individuals that jump ship) and those who prefer religion the other.

Shakyamunison
Many Christian will not believe it, and go on with life as normal. There will be some that leave the church, but most people are there for other reasons. In some places there maybe violence, but it will be disorganized and condemned by the Christian community. A lot of articles will be written about how stupid science is. Someone will build a museum that shows how science got it wrong and how god is real. After some time, someone will come up with a theory on how god could be disproved and still exist. JIA will get onto this forum and make 500 threads about how god does exist and science is stupid.

2D_MASTER
Who gives a shit?

PITT_HAPPENS
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
JIA will get onto this forum and make 500 threads about how god does exist and science is stupid. laughing

While I know the hard core believers like JIA will be unaffected but lets say that is half of the Christian population (which I believe if a high number) that would have over a billion people question or leave the faith. I could also see hard core Atheist jump on the attack of the religion and trying to get all traces removed, would other religions join this?

Alliance
Its not going to happe, science never tests the supernatural.

Please close.

PITT_HAPPENS

PITT_HAPPENS
Originally posted by Alliance

Please close. Damn Alliance I hope you're joking, confused I already stated that in the start of this post that if it could happen.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by PITT_HAPPENS
Damn Alliance I hope you're joking, confused I already stated that in the start of this post that if it could happen.

Ignore Alliance, he's just anal-retentive. wink

Burning thought
i think if it happened, alot of rich people will end up poor once their funds from their reaping the rewards of being at the top of a religion would leave them out of work, i think wars will eventually die down, although a lot of people will still belive simply because they cannot let go of the idea and there may be a few wars over in the eastern areas, a lot of suicide bombings but after the smoke has cleared humanity will be far better as a whole and it will be one thing we can push aside and dump to use the funds for something thats real,like science, development, the worlds people would be far richer.

inimalist
Originally posted by Burning thought
i think if it happened, alot of rich people will end up poor once their funds from their reaping the rewards of being at the top of a religion would leave them out of work, i think wars will eventually die down, although a lot of people will still belive simply because they cannot let go of the idea and there may be a few wars over in the eastern areas, a lot of suicide bombings but after the smoke has cleared humanity will be far better as a whole and it will be one thing we can push aside and dump to use the funds for something thats real,like science, development, the worlds people would be far richer.

wow....

roll eyes (sarcastic)

I'm sure the vast majority of wars in human history were fought over reasons of religion...

And as soon as there aren't any books with the message "Love thy neighbour" in them around, people will certainly get along...

Shakyamunison
Just because science proves there is no god does not mean that religion will go away. Religion is a natural byproduct of humanity. People will simple make new religions.

Boris
It's already pretty much happened.

They'll simply deny it and go on with their bullshit.

Burning thought
Originally posted by inimalist
wow....

roll eyes (sarcastic)

I'm sure the vast majority of wars in human history were fought over reasons of religion...

And as soon as there aren't any books with the message "Love thy neighbour" in them around, people will certainly get along...

was this supposed ot mock me or something? i got a aggresive vibe from it

your correct though, most wars are because of religion, the ridiculous madman behind 911 were apparently doing it over religion

Shakyamunison

your correct though, most wars are because of religion, the ridiculous madman behind 911 were apparently doing it over religion

I think he was being sarcastic.

Bardock42

Please close.

...nonsense. Science tests what we think is supernatural...

inimalist

I was being very sarcastic

most wars in history have been fought for nationalistic and economic reasons. Since for the majority of human history, the church has been the state, religion was always attached to nationalism.

you say 9-11, I say Palestine, Kashmir, and Chechnya, not to mention the Norther Waziristan region.

Also, if you go by numbers (and not the immediate impact on society) I would be willing to say that there are more good deeds done each day than evil ones in the name of religion. While 9-11 was a transforative moment that was fueled by religious extremism, it was only 1 event (or 4 if you REALLY want to stretch it) that had a major impact. Do you really think that there weren't 4 events of good done on that same day in the name of religion?

Is religion required for good will, no, and I would even say good will done through religion gets confused a lot between charity and theology. However, religion is a force for good in the world, and at the individual level has been shown to have very positive effects on a person.

Burning thought
there were many ancient wars as well, Crusades, most of the ancient world was full of holy wars, i doubt there are more good deeds done in the name of religion than bad, there are probably deeds that were done in the thought of good for religion that are actually bad

but if you look at history as a whole, religion, especially that which looks at our christian God or jesus as its figuirehead are full of monstrousness and constant wars, the bad would outnumber the good acts for religion 10-1 at least starting with large events like Crusades, bloody wars, Jihads as well as the rubbish in the times where people were trialed for witchcraft and thousands of innocents, children included were drowned and burned for this ridiculous faith

at least some religion is peaceful, Christianity and anything tied to the one "true" God and jesus are golden masks held over the faces of wicked and twisted men

inimalist
and you think that the Crusades are best understood as a conflict of religions?

Burning thought
they are very much in the thought of religion, the problem is that most people, like now were simply using their "holy" station to control the populace and kings often used their soldiers to gain terrirtoy and area in the name of God, controlling peopel with the religion

but a lot of the crusades were in the name of religion, thats a fact, hence "holy crusade"

inimalist
So, if the Muslims and the Christians and the Jews were of the same faith the Crusades would have never occured?

Burning thought
it would, because they all thought that jerusalem was the holy land so the peoples and cultures under this foolishness wanted jerusalem and the holy lands wheras if religion never excisted at all the likelyness that this place would have cost so many people their lives is unlikely

inimalist
ok, so without any religion, the regional powers of Europe would have never had conflict with the regional powers of the Middle East, and the only animosity between the 2 powers stemmed from Jerusalem?

Burning thought
i dont know, ime not an expert on the two cultures history but without religion they would certainly have been much better off, there would be far less indifrinces between the cultures and there would not of been AS many wars and battles fought

inimalist
not to sound like a real marxist

but if you look into history and into conflict, you will probably see that economics and nationalism play much more of a role in war. Even the later crusades can be explained by a thriving military industrial complex and the earlier ones by military alliance and border defense, not to mention that there was a loss of a trade route to India due to Muslim conquest.

I get your point, lots of bad things have been done in the NAME of religion, but that is because it serves as excellent propoganda.

-about the inquisition: While I would agree that it was religiously motivated, if you look at the initial Spanish Inquisition and the actions of Torquemanda, you see that many rich Jews were killed, and their property seized by the state. Whether that corelation shows an economic motivation behind those actions or not is anyone's guess, however, I think you are giving religion more power than it deserves, especially when compared to its ability to motivate people vs nationalism or economic reasons.

(By National I also mean territorial)

Crimson Phoenix
I'm not convinved that without religion, there would have been less wars. Humans would just find a different reason for conflict, i.e colour of skin or whatever

Burning thought
still, regardless, Relgion, wether in name, or actual religon intself has caused so much bloodshed and all over a false God, its like having a war for the atlantic because they want to make sure theres no Mer people or atlanteons hidden down there

witohut Religion there would without no shadow of a doubt be less war or monstrous acts of what seems zealous, which is actually barbaric, it would be such a boon if humanity did not need it, but ofcourse...its been embroded into us, i doubt we could get rid of it, even if it was 100% without doubt proven rubbish

inimalist
witohut Religion there would without no shadow of a doubt be less war or monstrous acts of what seems zealous, which is actually barbaric, it would be such a boon if humanity did not need it, but ofcourse...its been embroded into us, i doubt we could get rid of it, even if it was 100% without doubt proven rubbish

/sigh

any evidence?

And a nationallisticaly motivated king using religion to motivate his troops does not count as it being a religious struggle.

Or do you think the war in Iraq was really about spreading democracy?

Shakyamunison
still, regardless, Relgion, wether in name, or actual religon intself has caused so much bloodshed and all over a false God, its like having a war for the atlantic because they want to make sure theres no Mer people or atlanteons hidden down there

I disagree... Humans have caused all of the bloodshed you are talking about. Religion is an excuse.

Jack Harkness
If it was proved wrong the world would be a better place.

Now this is about every religion.

No offense to god but most wars start because of religion.

inimalist
Originally posted by Jack Harkness

Can you back that up any better than Burning Thought?

Burning thought
so thousands of people would of stilled died for witchcraft even if there was no religion?

religion excisting alone is an excuse, kings who used to use religion as an excuse are far more likely to succeed in making war or get soldiers motivated rather than just saying i want a territory or these people killed, they would say "for God, God has told me he wants these lands" or the king would simply say that they are gods enemies, especially if they are foreign people then the king would simply say they are against God regardless of their true religion

its still obvious that we would be much better off without any aggressive or racist/discrimitive religions in our minds especially when thinking on a false God

Goddess Kali

Please close.

Alliance, I apologize for the penis up your butt comment I made earlier, even though I think you do need a good dose of anal sex to loosen you up, I shouldn't victimize your frustrations...sexual or otherwise.

Sorry babe.

Originally posted by Jack Harness
If it was proved wrong the world would be a better place.

Now this is about every religion.

Eghh....religion may be a catalyst, but people will always find other reasons to war.

lil bitchiness
Damn Alliance I hope you're joking, confused I already stated that in the start of this post that if it could happen.

And the comprehension you're having is falling little short. Science is NOT concerned with religion or supernatural.

It is not the nature of science. It does not test supernatural, it does not CARE for supernatural.

Thats why its not ''theology'' or ''metaphysics'', its science.

Goddess Kali
MMmmm.mmMMm.....LIL B droolio

inimalist
so thousands of people would of stilled died for witchcraft even if there was no religion?

religion excisting alone is an excuse, kings who used to use religion as an excuse are far more likely to succeed in making war or get soldiers motivated rather than just saying i want a territory or these people killed, they would say "for God, God has told me he wants these lands" or the king would simply say that they are gods enemies, especially if they are foreign people then the king would simply say they are against God regardless of their true religion

its still obvious that we would be much better off without any aggressive or racist/discrimitive religions in our minds especially when thinking on a false God

1) the existance of god is not relevant to this argument

2) the fact that religion is a good motivator does not show religion as a root of conflict. At best it shows that, as Kali just said, religion can be a catalyst

3) Aggression and racism are NOT rooted in religion, see the catalyst comment again

4) The middle ages were marked by opressive states controlling every part of a subject's life, including their minds. Yes, thousands of people would have died or been oppressed by the state, whether for witchcraft of anti-statism, during the middle ages

5) an excuse is not a cause

PITT_HAPPENS

Burning thought
Originally posted by inimalist
1) the existance of god is not relevant to this argument

2) the fact that religion is a good motivator does not show religion as a root of conflict. At best it shows that, as Kali just said, religion can be a catalyst

3) Aggression and racism are NOT rooted in religion, see the catalyst comment again

4) The middle ages were marked by opressive states controlling every part of a subject's life, including their minds. Yes, thousands of people would have died or been oppressed by the state, whether for witchcraft of anti-statism, during the middle ages

5) an excuse is not a cause

1) what? what debate are you in lol, the very point of the thread is if science found there is no such thing as god so i think he is relevent

2) a catalyst humanity could very well do without

3) they are, the bible discriminates a lot of people as do some other religions

4) without religion, a lot of those people would of survivd who were "guilty" of the ridiculous witchcraft and men who murdered innocent people for wealth such as inquisitors would not excist

5) it can very well be, if a king/leader did not have an excuse like religion to use, they would not of caused this barberus slaughter or war in the first place for they would have no grounds to do it

inimalist
1) what? what debate are you in lol, the very point of the thread is if science found there is no such thing as god so i think he is relevent

2) a catalyst humanity could very well do without

3) they are, the bible discriminates a lot of people as do some other religions

4) without religion, a lot of those people would of survivd who were "guilty" of the ridiculous witchcraft and men who murdered innocent people for wealth such as inquisitors would not excist

5) it can very well be, if a king/leader did not have an excuse like religion to use, they would not of caused this barberus slaughter or war in the first place for they would have no grounds to do it

1) The argument I've been having was about whether or not religion is THE root cause of conflict, or even whether more conflicts throughout history have been religiously motivated or motivated by other means.

2) Again, irrelevant to the debate. I agree, but irrelevant none the less.

3) The bible is not the cause of discriminatory behaviour. The bible has discriminatory passages because it was written in a time before the universal declaration of the rights of man had been written.

4) a)i) I don't disagree that in many situations a conflict is best understood by a religious perspective and that in many conflicts it is, if not the most important contributing factor, a major one. My question to you then is this, since the majority of human history has been dominated by Church rule of the state (at least in the western world) how do you then separate religious motivation from nationalistic motivation

ii) I'm no expert on this, but my thought is that much of the war in ancient Africa, North and South America and Australia might be very different in their roots. I have no knowledge on this, but I can't imagine tribal societies going to war over misinterpretations of Dogma... I hesitate to ask how many tribal societies have written language (a clear precursor to organized religion) for fear of just being lambasted for ignorance.

b) I don't believe history would have been the exact same had religion been removed, but I think you would be hard pressed to show that a religious society can be more murderous or oppressive than a secular one. The fact is, until modern liberal political philosophy and the industrial revolution, the ruling class owned the people. Whether religious or not, in that situation people were going to be oppressed and murdered.

5) In those days, you know, again, before modern liberal democratic states, people didn't have to have a war justified to them. You joined the army because if you didn't the Nobel cut your neck and raped your daughter with blacksmith's tools.

Bardock42
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
And the comprehension you're having is falling little short. Science is NOT concerned with religion or supernatural.

It is not the nature of science. It does not test supernatural, it does not CARE for supernatural.

Thats why its not ''theology'' or ''metaphysics'', its science.

But it actually is. It's cute that you guys don't want it to be. But science is concerned with everything.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Bardock42
But it actually is. It's cute that you guys don't want it to be. But science is concerned with everything.

No its not. You like to think so.

Natural sciences, (which are the ones spoken of in this thread)are not concerned with sociological, philosophical, theological and metaphysical matters.

There is not a SINGLE natural scientific trait in philosophy.

lil bitchiness

Alliance
yes

PITT_HAPPENS

Alliance
Theres no need to blow a gasket, but science does not examine the supernatural. Its a common error in arguments and it SEVERELY undermines science.

I understand its not part of your question, but its a severe error that really needs to be stopped.

Burning thought

Bardock42
No its not. You like to think so.

Natural sciences, (which are the ones spoken of in this thread)are not concerned with sociological, philosophical, theological and metaphysical matters.

There is not a SINGLE natural scientific trait in philosophy.

I didn't say that philosophy uses scientific methods. I said that science is of course interested in explaining all phenomenons in our world. You say that God is outside of the natural world and that science can not find evidence for it....but science does not just agree with your idiotic view, it would of course try to find evidence and research it...as it does with anything that we regard as supernatural.

God cannot generate empirical data.

You know that why?

And even if you know that....science knows it and just say "Meh, that one is not for us, it can't be found" .... just doesn't seem like scientists behaviour.

Theres no need to blow a gasket, but science does not examine the supernatural. Its a common error in arguments and it SEVERELY undermines science.

I understand its not part of your question, but its a severe error that really needs to be stopped.

God you are an idiot. And probably going to be one heck of a horrible scientist.

Let me ask you this question: How do YOU (alliance) know whether a phenomenon is natural and therefore alright for you to research or whether it is not? What is supernatural for you and why. 5000 years ago would gunpowder have been supernatural for you and therefore not for you to research? How do you know what is and what isn't? And couldn't a God be a natural phenomenon?

Also, how do you know that we won't find a law or applicable mathematical prove that a God can not exist in, lets say a Christian way? You seem really close minded.

I understand that you and lil b like to think of a set of believes which have the trait "not to be researched by science" ... they don't exist though, because whether or not scientific approaches work or not....Science will always try.

Also, it doesn't really need to be true....that science disproved in in this hypothetical question, the idea that everyone believes it is enough.

PITT_HAPPENS

I understand its not part of your question, but its a severe error that really needs to be stopped. If I was trying to disprove God with science that would be one thing, but to b*tch about it in this thread with a hypothetical question that doesn't even talk about that is something I would expect from other members.

xmarksthespot
One can use science to show the lack of a need for any supernatural intervention for the current state of the universe... but would still never be able to prove or disprove the existence of the supernatural be it the existence of deities, or faerie folk or Santa.

If it became possible to travel in time back to the days of yore, to discover no Jesus as is told in the Bible ever existed that would put a severe dent in Christian mythology. It still wouldn't necessarily disprove the existence of the Christian god though (nor is it even remotely possible as far as I'm aware under current potential theoretical models of time travel.)

Under the assumption of the hypothetical magical disproving of god though, I don't expect much would change for many more moderate people. As it hasn't thus far as science has increasingly explained how the natural world ticks along. Some may give up on their faith, some would just ignore it and continue believing, perhaps some would convert to another that hadn't been disproved, potentially I could even see a lot of suicides - as frankly some people need something beyond the physical to believe in. I don't see it affecting me whatsoever. smile

Bicnarok

lil bitchiness

lil bitchiness
I didn't say that philosophy uses scientific methods. I said that science is of course interested in explaining all phenomenons in our world. You say that God is outside of the natural world and that science can not find evidence for it....but science does not just agree with your idiotic view, it would of course try to find evidence and research it...as it does with anything that we regard as supernatural.

You know that why?

And even if you know that....science knows it and just say "Meh, that one is not for us, it can't be found" .... just doesn't seem like scientists behaviour.

God you are an idiot. And probably going to be one heck of a horrible scientist.

Let me ask you this question: How do YOU (alliance) know whether a phenomenon is natural and therefore alright for you to research or whether it is not? What is supernatural for you and why. 5000 years ago would gunpowder have been supernatural for you and therefore not for you to research? How do you know what is and what isn't? And couldn't a God be a natural phenomenon?

Also, how do you know that we won't find a law or applicable mathematical prove that a God can not exist in, lets say a Christian way? You seem really close minded.

I understand that you and lil b like to think of a set of believes which have the trait "not to be researched by science" ... they don't exist though, because whether or not scientific approaches work or not....Science will always try.

Also, it doesn't really need to be true....that science disproved in in this hypothetical question, the idea that everyone believes it is enough.

I originally added ''God cannot generate imperial data, for now, anyway'' but deleted it later. Forget why.

Anyway, its not accessible to us at the moment. Just like high pitch sounds were not few hundred years ago.
That doesn't mean they didn't exist. We just didn't know that they were there, and that we could not hear them.

We need a definition of God first. We don't have that (minus Abrahamic explanations)

PITT_HAPPENS
Watch your language! You know the rules. If you can't debate without swearing, you will be removed from the forums. I PM'ed you about this.

Bardock42
I originally added ''God cannot generate imperial data, for now, anyway'' but deleted it later. Forget why.

Anyway, its not accessible to us at the moment. Just like high pitch sounds were not few hundred years ago.
That doesn't mean they didn't exist. We just didn't know that they were there, and that we could not hear them.

We need a definition of God first. We don't have that (minus Abrahamic explanations)

To be fair, you guys just disturbed his topic, dragging it off-topic...I'd be annoyed.

xmarksthespot
Why would god generate imperial data? 131

The thread does define the deity in question as the Christian permutation of "god."
-----
Also I should add an addendum to what I said about the remoteness of possibility for time travel back to those points in time - that would be assuming that we were the only form of life in the universe sufficiently technological to develop the potential theoretical methods of time travel.

The Grey Fox
Imperial data, eh...?

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Why would god generate imperial data? 131

The thread does define the deity in question as the Christian permutation of "god."
-----
Also I should add an addendum to what I said about the remoteness of possibility for time travel back to those points in time - that would be assuming that we were the only form of life in the universe sufficiently technological to develop the potential theoretical methods of time travel.

Then its a discussion on Christianity as an institution, and should not involve God at all.

I don't think one needs science to see shortcomings of Christianity.

Besides, we can agree that science has been around before and during Christian era, yet religion remains present.

If off-put by Christianity, people turn to other cults (see Scientology)

On the question of ''Christianity gone tomorrow'' (independent of science or God), yes, it will be.

Probably not in USA (American identity is stronger than European, as are Christian identities in USA), but in Europe definitively. It will be replaced by Islam.

Why? Because Islamic identity is far stronger than post-Christian European one. ''European identity'' is all over the place anyway.
When faced between two choices, the stronger one always win.

Hence people who are in america, wherever they come from, have a strong sense of BEING American. Which is good. (dependeing how you view it, of course)

Burning thought
Americans are very proud people ive found, alot of them are a little slow minded tho ive found from experiance laughing some people actually belived Peter pan was a real person who flew around London, i mean jeeez.....

PITT_HAPPENS
Americans are very proud people ive found, alot of them are a little slow minded tho ive found from experiance laughing some people actually belived Peter pan was a real person who flew around London, i mean jeeez..... what

do

you

mean

s l o w?

Burning thought
Americans are very proud people ive found, alot of them are a little slow minded tho ive found from experiance laughing some people actually belived Peter pan was a real person who flew around London, i mean jeeez.....

laughing no offence to anyone here ofcourse stick out tongue

Bardock42

On the question of ''Christianity gone tomorrow'' (independent of science or God), yes, it will be.

Probably not in USA (American identity is stronger than European, as are Christian identities in USA), but in Europe definitively. It will be replaced by Islam.

Why? Because Islamic identity is far stronger than post-Christian European one. ''European identity'' is all over the place anyway.
When faced between two choices, the stronger one always win.

Hence people who are in america, wherever they come from, have a strong sense of BEING American. Which is good. (dependeing how you view it, of course)

Slightly off topic, but assuming what you say is true (and I don't think it is) wouldn't it be better for Europe to embrace a strong atheism as Dawkins proposes it?

WrathfulDwarf
Slightly off topic, but assuming what you say is true (and I don't think it is) wouldn't it be better for Europe to embrace a strong atheism as Dawkins proposes it?

Why do you assume that atheism will bring a better Europe?

Didn't the Soviet Union limited religion?

Where are they now?

PITT_HAPPENS
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf

Where are they now? Well by the looks of it, in my spam folder eek! and I can't read any of it.

Bardock42

Where are they now?

What an odd comparison for multiple reasons.

Either way that's not the point. When I said Europe I didn't mean the country, but the people that value our humanist ideals (Atheists as well as Christians).

WrathfulDwarf
What an odd comparison for multiple reasons.

Either way that's not the point. When I said Europe I didn't mean the country, but the people that value our humanist ideals (Atheists as well as Christians).

Same thing...when I said Soviet Union I meant the people who value humanist ideals (i.e. what is good for our society)

Fair comparison.

Bardock42
Same thing...when I said Soviet Union I meant the people who value humanist ideals (i.e. what is good for our society)

Fair comparison.

The Soviet Union was a communist based dictatorship...

A comparison, granted, not a fair one.

WrathfulDwarf
The Soviet Union was a communist based dictatorship...

A comparison, granted, not a fair one.

They were socialist too....like the French. wink

Burning thought
well i dont know about indivduals mine and a lot of peopels views in Europse onto America see Americans as simple minded folk who are easily led which is why religion is hard pinned down and would probably never break, its like mice, get them to spin in a wheel enough times and theyll end up doing it as a routine

Europe however has a lot of foreign and imigration so Religion is splashed about a bit

lil bitchiness

Europe can embrace whatever, it makes no difference. There will always be people who will not embrace Atheism. (just like there will always be people who will never embrace religion)

People who seek religion will turn to Islam, rather than Atheism or weak post Christian influences and churches who constantly bicker who has the TRUEST path of God, attempting to convert masses who are not interested, by applying some weird political chiches that if Jesus was alive today, he would be probably gay Anglican bishop in a committed relationship, driving environmentally friendly car on his way to an interfaith dialog with a Wiccan and couple of Whabbi imams.

Well, if that doesn't convert me to a religion, I simply don't know what will.

People seeking religion will turn towards religion with stronger identity, better defined identity, and the one with most union. Which is Islam.

To think that everyone will embrace Atheism is short sighted. It will never happen. Just like not everyone will embrace religion.

Bardock42
Europe can embrace whatever, it makes no difference. There will always be people who will not embrace Atheism. (just like there will always be people who will never embrace religion)

People who seek religion will turn to Islam, rather than Atheism or weak post Christian influences and churches who constantly bicker who has the TRUEST path of God, attempting to convert masses who are not interested, by applying some weird political chiches that if Jesus was alive today, he would be probably gay Anglican bishop in a committed relationship, driving environmentally friendly car on his way to an interfaith dialog with a Wiccan and couple of Whabbi imams.

Well, if that doesn't convert me to a religion, I simply don't know what will.

People seeking religion will turn towards religion with stronger identity, better defined identity, and the one with most union. Which is Islam.

To think that everyone will embrace Atheism is short sighted. It will never happen. Just like not everyone will embrace religion.

Seems unlikely really. I think atheism is a much stronger converting force for Christianity today than Islam. In the western world that is.

JesusIsAlive

Boris
God can't do shit, he isn't real.

Bardock42
Originally posted by JesusIsAlive
God cannot deny Himself so...it will never happen. Your God is so limited.

Shakyamunison
God cannot deny Himself so...it will never happen.

Your God is so limited.

Yes, I agree, so limited.

PITT_HAPPENS
God cannot deny Himself so...it will never happen. blahblah

Kevy2007
It won't happen, keep on wet dreaming

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Kevy2007
It won't happen, keep on wet dreaming

One day Christianity will fade just like Greek mythology has faded, but it will be replaced by something else.

Kevy2007
Well maybe you should get out of the basement and live a life

Shakyamunison
Well maybe you should get out of the basement and live a life

What do you mean? confused

Kevy2007
I mean that as a Catholic myself I don't give a shite about your anti-religion remarks and you should find something better to do in life.

Shakyamunison
I mean that as a Catholic myself I don't give a shite about your anti-religion remarks and you should find something better to do in life.

You seem to be filled with the love of god. roll eyes (sarcastic)

All religions have come and gone, just to be replaced by other religions.

It you don't like my commits, maybe you should go elsewhere.

Kevy2007
You came here and you replied to me, for someone who doesn't want to have anything to do with religion you persecute and attack people's faith anyway thus meaning what i said about you getting a life.

Shakyamunison
You came here and you replied to me, for someone who doesn't want to have anything to do with religion you persecute and attack people's faith anyway thus meaning what i said about you getting a life.

I am a very religious person. I have a life, and a good life. When did I attack people's faith?

Kevy2007
zzzzzzz

Jbill311
EUROPE IS A CONTINENT!!! for the love of god people... get with the program!!

JIA did you even bother to read the first post?

If Christianity disappeared, those with a very strong tendancy towards religion would quickly find another faith, or even continue to believe, even in the face of clear evidence proving them wrong.

Shakyamunison
zzzzzzz

So, you can't answer that question? roll eyes (sarcastic)

I think someone needs a wet nurse.

Kevy2007
Excuse me you're the one thriving on response with faece baiting posts that is just the same as licking moss, sad really. I don't answer to pathetic little shites like you, I think you're the one who should find a better hobbie in life like playing about in cars you scath of human misery.

Shakyamunison
Excuse me you're the one thriving on response with faece baiting posts that is just the same as licking moss, sad really. I don't answer to pathetic little shites like you, I think you're the one who should find a better hobbie in life like playing about in cars you scath of human misery.

Stand up and stop being a coward, and confront me on substance. This childish banter of yours will only bore me.

Kevy2007
Coward? Maybe you should take your anti-religious statements to the people on the shankill road or how about outside the GAA board in Dublin you yellow fairy.

Shakyamunison
Coward? Maybe you should take your anti-religious statements to the people on the shankill road or how about outside the GAA board in Dublin you yellow fairy.

I'm still waiting for you to show where I have attacked people's faith. BTW I'm not anti-religious. Another false statement that you do not follow up on. So far, all you have done is call me names. That doesn't make your point. Remember this is not a personal conversation. Other people who are reading this, are probably thinking you don't have a point.

Burning thought
I'm still waiting for you to show where I have attacked people's faith. BTW I'm not anti-religious. Another false statement that you do not follow up on. So far, all you have done is call me names. That doesn't make your point. Remember this is not a personal conversation. Other people who are reading this, are probably thinking you don't have a point.

ime reading his posts and thnking how old are you Kevy2007?
if i made a guess itd be 6/7 and thats probably insulting them of that age

this is a debate, Shaky is allowed to express his opinion, and ime anti-religion, Shaky is Buddhist (spelling) i think so he cant be anti religion confused

quit being foolish and childish and debate properly

PITT_HAPPENS
It won't happen, keep on wet dreaming growup

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Jbill311
EUROPE IS A CONTINENT!!! for the love of god people... get with the program!!

JIA did you even bother to read the first post?

If Christianity disappeared, those with a very strong tendancy towards religion would quickly find another faith, or even continue to believe, even in the face of clear evidence proving them wrong.
Yes.

Religion is a very unique phenomenon amongst humans. I doubt it can be erased. Just look at the emergance of the new, or re appliance of the old religions.

By new religions, I mean Scientology.

Im sure the religion will continue to evolve into different sects, ideas and will be present amongst some populations..etc.

PITT_HAPPENS
As long as humans are willing to believe in religion there will always be religion because people will need something to believe in bigger than themselves or others will use it for control.

Shakyamunison
As long as humans are willing to believe in religion there will always be religion because people will need something to believe in bigger than themselves or others will use it for control.

I think, somehow, religion gives people an evolutionary advantage. Isn't that ironic?

PITT_HAPPENS
I think, somehow, religion gives people an evolutionary advantage. Isn't that ironic? I'm not sure what you mean

Shakyamunison
I'm not sure what you mean

Everything we do as a culture, is one way or another, is there because it has an evolutionary advantage. Any activity that does not have an evolutionary advantage will disappear because the people will not do it or will die off, what ever it is. Example, if an isolated group of people practice something that gives them an evolutionary disadvantage, they will die out over time. However, if an isolated group of people practice something that gives them an evolutionary advantage, then they will survive. When we look around, what we see are the survivors, and religion is part of that. Therefore it is safe to say that religion has given the human race some advantage over the last 70 to 80 thousand years.

PITT_HAPPENS
Everything we do as a culture, is one way or another, is there because it has an evolutionary advantage. Any activity that does not have an evolutionary advantage will disappear because the people will not do it or will die off, what ever it is. Example, if an isolated group of people practice something that gives them an evolutionary disadvantage, they will die out over time. However, if an isolated group of people practice something that gives them an evolutionary advantage, then they will survive. When we look around, what we see are the survivors, and religion is part of that. Therefore it is safe to say that religion has given the human race some advantage over the last 70 to 80 thousand years. OK, so like me playing video games. I will survive stick out tongue

Shakyamunison
OK, so like me playing video games. I will survive stick out tongue

Maybe, or more likely; people who don't play video games will be making more kids that might not play video games, and video games will disappear.

PITT_HAPPENS
Maybe, or more likely; people who don't play video games will be making more kids that might not play video games, and video games will disappear.

Oh! you are telling me why they run away? You Germans are almost as offencive as the French. laughing The video game gods will strike you down for saying such blaspheme pitt_fist

Shakyamunison
The video game gods will strike you down for saying such blaspheme pitt_fist

I edited the wrong post:

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=9293352#post9293352

PITT_HAPPENS
I edited the wrong post:

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=9293352#post9293352 The forum god (aka Raz) will strike you down for such a mistake

Shakyamunison
The forum god (aka Raz) will strike you down for such a mistake

I'm multi tasking here, and it's Friday. crybaby

PITT_HAPPENS
I'm multi tasking here, and it's Friday. crybaby Only if you were drinking beer would I accept that kind of an excuses. wink

Shakyamunison
Only if you were drinking beer would I accept that kind of an excuses. wink

I do work for a German company. laughing

PITT_HAPPENS
I do work for a German company. laughing Buying plane ticket now big grin

Shakyamunison
Buying plane ticket now big grin

No, really; the company I work for is owned by a German international conglomerate.

http://www.kathrein.de/

PITT_HAPPENS
No, really; the company I work for is owned by a German international conglomerate.

http://www.kathrein.de/ It is all in German, how can I read it to find out if they are a German company wink

Shakyamunison
It is all in German, how can I read it to find out if they are a German company wink

You don't read German? confused eek! laughing

PITT_HAPPENS
You don't read German? confused eek! laughing Only on the second Tuesday of the month in the year ending in an even number when a black cat eats a white mouse in my bed. stick out tongue

Shakyamunison
Only on the second Tuesday of the month in the year ending in an even number when a black cat eats a white mouse in my bed. stick out tongue

I don't know what to think about you uneducated people. roll eyes (sarcastic) laughing

PITT_HAPPENS

Goddess Kali
Christianity will not be gone any time soon, but it will change as it always has.

Christianity has evolved over millenia, and will continue to do so. Hopefully, it will become a higher force for compassion and no longer a business.

ragesRemorse
If and when Science is able to show us Where and how existence was started, it would still not be able to disprove religion. Religion is a state of mind and lifestyle. MOst of the questions raised by the bible in the christian world are philosophical ones that can never be answered. THey are only there to make people question themselves and reach a new perspective.

hypotheticaly speaking though, if Science were able to eradicat Religion. Things wouldnt change in the western society much, because religion no longer has a strangle hold over society any longer. IN the parts of the world where Religion is the basis of the society, the facts would probably bring on anarchy until a new control tactic was introduced to replace religion

Goddess Kali
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
If and when Science is able to show us Where and how existence was started, it would still not be able to disprove religion. Religion is a state of mind and lifestyle. MOst of the questions raised by the bible in the christian world are philosophical ones that can never be answered. THey are only there to make people question themselves and reach a new perspective.

hypotheticaly speaking though, if Science were able to eradicat Religion. Things wouldnt change in the western society much, because religion no longer has a strangle hold over society any longer. IN the parts of the world where Religion is the basis of the society, the facts would probably bring on anarchy until a new control tactic was introduced to replace religion

Religion is a practice based on a system of beliefs. If the beleifs are challenged, they either change, stay the same, or are disregarded all together.

If certain aspects of beleifs are disproven or considered too hostile for current standards, they are ignored and pushed aside to the past ways of beleiving.

I beleive that one day, Christianity will be like Buddhism. Jesus Christ will be seen as a Great Teacher, but not as a divine being. Just a person who achieved his own wisdom and enlightment, and was way ahead of his time, like the Buddha was.

As time progresses, and we learn more...as education increases, and more scientific mysteries are solved, the idea of a Male God who created the world and universe from words, and who bore a son of a virgin, while creating the pagan based realms of heaven and hell, will sound more and more foolish.

Many segments of modern Buddhism still hold to the stories of Hinduism, but do not accept demons and gods as literal entities, only aspects of human nature.

That's what Gods, demons, and angels are in the long run. Aspects and representations of Human Nature, our creations.

If the bases of Christianity are proven false, or unlikely, which they eventually will be through science and growth in logic, Jesus Christ will still be revered the way Buddha is...as a GREAT Human Being.

Bardock42
It is all in German, how can I read it to find out if they are a German company wink

I don't want to spoil too much, but I think this one gem of information might great you helply (or the other way around). Ready? Really? Here it comes:

"Englisch" is "English" in German.

Though as a matter of fact they already wrote it in English.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.