Dumbledore >>> Voldemort??

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Gideon
I was in a debate with a friend of mine recently, and my disadvantage is that I don't have any of the HP books on me at the moment.

So here is my question: has it been stated or implied by any credible source that Dumbledore is stronger than Voldemort by any large margin?

tigress
Voldie is said to fear Dumbledore as he defeated Grindlewald and Dumbledore is stated to be very wise and powerful, saying that Voldie tried to destroy Harry due to his fear of harry defeating him so attacked when he was an infant it is in the books if you dont have them then you may be able to find the facts from the books on lexicon or even google for info.

Unicor777
Originally posted by Gideon
So here is my question: has it been stated or implied by any credible source that Dumbledore is stronger than Voldemort by any large margin?

Never being said per ce, but it is said that VV tried to avoid open duel with DD and that DD was the "only one he ever feared". This leads to another question: Why?

And here we can speculate because the answer is not given in the books. Is it because he can sense the powers DD has? Is it because of the knowledge DD has on VV's pre Hogwarts life? Does VV run away from his pre Hogwarts past?

siriuswriter
It was said by McGonagall in the first book that Dumbledore is more powerful; he has the powers, he is just too noble to use them.

I think Dumbledore is more powerful, not just in the things that he knows, but obviously he is more powerful in the fact that he did not "give in to the dark side." He did what was right instead of what was easy, and I think Voldemort fears him for that inner strength, as well as the fact that Voldemort knows that if Dumbledore wanted to, in battle, he could quash him like a bug. What Voldemort doesn't understand is that Dumbledore doesn't think that would be productive, and so he doesn't - he is more "noble," he doesn't use those kinds of powers.

But if Dumbledore were like Voldemort, if Dumbledore used all his capability for evil, than we would have a significantly nastier problem than little ol' Tom Riddle on our hands.

ndfreak
just look at the duel in the 5 book (the movie didnt do it right). DD owns voldie in that duel and voldemort has trouble getting a single spell cast, whereas DD get 3 or 4 past. DD is da bomb.

Unicor777

whiterose
Come on guys, it's simple..Dumbledore is stronger cos he fought Voldemort with simple spell (i can't remember what) to fight "ava kedavra". this latter spell should have been more powerful than anything...rite?

note;it's a scene in fifth movie

Unicor777
In support of the theory that I posted above that it is not for granted that DD is stronger that VV, goes the prohecy;
The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches born to .... It means that only Harry, or the one to whom the prophecy referred to, has to power to kill the Dark Lord. And he only, the interesting thing is why the prohecy chose to reveal to Dumbledore?

Council#13
Originally posted by Unicor777

And here we can speculate because the answer is not given in the books. Is it because he can sense the powers DD has? Is it because of the knowledge DD has on VV's pre Hogwarts life? Does VV run away from his pre Hogwarts past?

That brings up a good point. Seeing as Dumbledore was one of Voldemort's teachers, he probably knew all of his weaknesses and failings. Also, after Voldemort framed Hagrid and got him expelled, Dumbledore "kept an annoyingly close eye" on him. Maybe Voldemort is still intimidated by Dumbledore simply because he grew up thinking that way.

Unicor777
exactly, traumatised that DD was alwasy jut one step behind him

nmensfinest
Never being said per ce, but it is said that VV tried to avoid open duel with DD and that DD was the "only one he ever feared". This leads to another question: Why?

Well from what I can remember from the books, the whole idea that Voldemort ever feared Dumbledore was brought about in the context of power. However, sure people believed that Voldemort feared Dumbledore, but can we really be sure? He certainly showed no signs of fear when he faced him in the Order of the Phoenix, that's for sure, and was perfectly willing to duel him. Whether he really ever did once fear him or not, I'm inclined to believe that the fear was no longer there once Voldemort returned to power.

Syren
In support of the theory that I posted above that it is not for granted that DD is stronger that VV, goes the prohecy;
The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches born to .... It means that only Harry, or the one to whom the prophecy referred to, has to power to kill the Dark Lord. And he only, the interesting thing is why the prohecy chose to reveal to Dumbledore?

That's a very good point and shouldn't go overlooked thumb up

Gideon
I think some of you have misunderstood my question. I'm not disputing that Dumbledore is "more powerful" than Voldemort. But I just don't believe it's by any massive degree.

Unicor777
Originally posted by nmensfinest

Well from what I can remember from the books, the whole idea that Voldemort ever feared Dumbledore was brought about in the context of power. However, sure people believed that Voldemort feared Dumbledore, but can we really be sure? He certainly showed no signs of fear when he faced him in the Order of the Phoenix, that's for sure, and was perfectly willing to duel him. Whether he really ever did once fear him or not, I'm inclined to believe that the fear was no longer there once Voldemort returned to power.

I agree with your for the last paragraph, that Voldermost feared DD the most before coming to power. But when we say " The only one he ever feared", doesn't mean that VV would be shaking in fear every time he sees DD. And the battle in the ministry, VV didn't mean to get engaged in to a deadly duel with DD, it was merely just a touch of the grip/pulse of the other, the intention was to kill Harry. DD knew this and VV knew this.

I have elaborated this in to another thread, but I think that VV knows that DD is powerful enough to pose danger to him. And that if he ever tries to kill DD, he might be successful eventually, but he will suffer long lasting consequences what would make him an easy target for the members of the Order, The Aurors or Harry Potter.

Could DD kill VV? No! Why? JK Answered this one = " The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord is approaching, born to ...." Its only Harry that has powers that the Dark Lords knows not, and he only can kill Tom Marvolo Riddle, aka Voldermort.

TheMercurial
It'd turn out to be hilarious if Dumbledore was actually a Horcrux of Voldemorts, which is why Snape killed him.
That would also explain why Voldemort wanted to avoid conflict with him and it would make sense to make the other most powerful wizard in the world the key to your immortality.

That said, I dont think that is the case.
It'd be pretty funny though.

Soljer
Spoiler: The fact that Dumbledore wielded the elder wand in his confrontation with Voldemort needs to be taken into account - hence why his 'simple' spell could 'own' Voldemort's Avada Kedavra.

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by siriuswriter
It was said by McGonagall in the first book that Dumbledore is more powerful; he has the powers, he is just too noble to use them. It was said he was too noble to use the Dark Arts, nothing about having powers that would make him more powerful than Voldemort.

Oh, please, I'm sick of having people say that being good is harder than being evil...Nothing is easy, and being evil is no different.

Quinlan-Vos
Originally posted by Darth Macabre
It was said he was too noble to use the Dark Arts, nothing about having powers that would make him more powerful than Voldemort.

Oh, please, I'm sick of having people say that being good is harder than being evil...Nothing is easy, and being evil is no different.

It IS easier to be 'evil', at least in terms of 'power' and using it. Good people abide by morals, and therefore may well have easier ways to access powers, some of which good wizards would never use...

Arctic
Plus Dumbledore had the Elder wand which probably pwned Voldemorts wand.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.