Hairspray

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

.Dance_Inside.
I cannot wait to see this movie! OMG

ADarksideJedi
I don't think I am going to see it.I like the old o ne from the eightys.That one is so funny!This o ne just looks stupid.jm

dsilva
Oh i am real excited about this movie, so far just seen the trailers and it seems like a fun movie. i had no idea the movie had such a huge star cast. It was a real surprise to see John in drag and i was trying to find out who the other ugly lady is and realized it was christopher. laughing
I love John Travolta, Michelle Pfeiffer, Christopher Walken, Queen Latifa & Amanda Bynes {I used to love her show on Nick- the amanda show.} so Im sure to check it out.

http://images.share27.com/542-hsprayHeaderLongs.jpg

Wolfie
Any respect I had for Travolta before is now gone.

dave_kodak
Originally posted by Wolfie
Any respect I had for Travolta before is now gone. i think he just wants some money, and to go out with a little bit of fun.

homelesskiller
Travolta gay now we no

.Dance_Inside.
John Travolta is awesome.
He looks so cute as Edna! hahaha

ragesRemorse
fat people dancing is enertaining

Sweet Escape
I've been waiting for this movie for like ever laughing

I saw the play two years ago, and it really is an amazing story, and amazing music. It has an amazing message.

I can't wait to see it later

Sweet Escape
BEST.MOVIE.EVER.

PONG_MASTER
GHEY.

Sweet Escape
roll eyes (sarcastic)

I really thought it was perfect.

ragesRemorse
rent and moulin rouge were better

.Dance_Inside.
I can't agree with you yet, ragesRemorse, because I haven't seen Hairspray...but Rent and Moulin Rouge do kick ass!

42ndStreetFreak
We have a perfectly made, casted and acted "Hairspray" alread, we don't need another.
And no one can touch the work done in this film by Divine.

Question: Is Travolta actually meant to be a woman like Divine was, or is he a transvestite?

ADarksideJedi
Originally posted by Wolfie
Any respect I had for Travolta before is now gone.

I don't blame you.In the old hairspray(which is not a musical)A man plays the boss of the Cornly show and the mother.That is why it is like that.
But why on earth would Travolta do this to himself?jm sad

DanZeke25
Everytime I see a commercial for this movie I want to commit suicide.

.Dance_Inside.
BEST.MOVIE.EVER

.Dance_Inside.
lighten up guys.
this movie was very enjoyable, it was just fun.
If you go into the theatre with a good attitude, I guarantee you'll be entertained.
So what if the old Hairspray was "Perfectly made" This one was just fun and very WELL acted. John Travolta(Edna) was amazing. Nikki Blonsky's(Tracy) debut was incredible, she is an amazing actress. Although many of you wont look past her weight, which is ridiculous, regardless she was really good. James Marsden(Corny Collens)deserves an award for his performance, he was so believable, his voice was great.
Zac Efron(Link Larkin) and Amanda Bynes(Penny) were hilarious, no joking. Like Zac Efron needs to stop with 'High School Musical' because he is so great in real musicals like 'Hairspray.'
Elijah Kelly(Seaweed) = BEST.DANCER.EVER.
Christopher Walken was the best ever, as usual.

Overall the cast was perfect, the music and dancing was perfect, the acting was superb, and this musical will definitely be getting tons of awards.

I'm a huge theatre fanatic, and this muscial is right up there for me now.
It was WAY better than RENT(2005 movie) in my honest opinion.

So my advice, you don't have to take it, obviously. However, I strongly advise you to consider it. GO SEE THIS MOVIE, you will have a blast.

Hairspray 10/10

allofyousuckkk
Saw this twice. Loved it

Geek.mike
I thought it was fantastic. Also, as far as stage to theater, I HATED Rent, the movie, but I loved it on stage. Everyone I talk to who has seen Hairspray on Broudway thought the movie was better. You have not seen anything untill you have seen a love scene duet beetween Christafer Walken and John Travolta

pepperjeff
I still don't understand why Travolta is in drag. Maybe I should see it.

pepperjeff
How is Walkens performance in this supposedly modern masterpiece?

.Dance_Inside.
He is fantastic, seriously I loved him. It's funny because John and Christopher has some great chemistry as Wilber and Edna! After a while you actually forget that Edna is played by John, because he pulls off being a women!

ADarksideJedi
All g ood actors.It is always t he first movies that is better then the remake!jm

.Dance_Inside.
not necessarily...

Mairuzu
no

.Dance_Inside.
yes

maham
I want to watch it.It does look interestin.

gregmss
it is the best film I've seen all summer (though I'm still waiting on Knocked Up and Ratatouille)

Mr Parker
yeah it should be entertaining.

charlie01
gee sounds like everyones goin to see it, us drama kids are goin to see we're all waiting in anticipation lol should be good

allofyousuckkk
Pretty kickass movie, see it on my breaks at work every day lol.

BeautiflDisastr
The first one, WASN'T perfectly made at all! Don't get me wrong. I loved the original Hairspray. I've seen several of the Broadway plays and I even starred in a hairspray play at our citys' theatre. But this new one, was amazing. It had music, dancing and just, so perfect and hilarious!

.Dance_Inside.
Just saw it for the 6th time last night!
I love it everytime!

allofyousuckkk
I'm listening to you cant stop the beat and came acrss this thread again. Ya, I've seen bits and pieces of it about 20x

BeautiflDisastr
I'm listening to Good Morning Baltimore. My friend bought me the Hairspray Movie Soundtrack big grin

.Dance_Inside.
I'm listening to 'RUn and Tell That' Right now!
Pretty much my favourite dance scene in any movie ever!

My favourite scene in that movie is Without love and Can't stop the Beat, they're actually tied for the best songs/scene in the movie!

allofyousuckkk
same^^^^

Tyranno-Chris
This movie looks stupid and I will not go and see it.

Leggy_n_Merry
It was amazing! I really really loved it. It was very entertaining and everyone was amazing in it, I agree with Dance Inside. Nicki Blonsky was very good! The songs are so catchy, I just had to buy the soundtrack. I'm listening right now. I've just been listening to it non stop. I really want to see it again. I gave it 9/10 and I only didn't give it 10 because I rarely give films 10 unless they are one of my favourite ones ever. Although I think this might end up being one of those and after I've seen it again and again I think I'll probably give it a 10.

Oh my God Dance Inside I love that picture of Zac Efron in your signature! I added it to my scrapbook on Flixter haha how sad am I? Oh well. Your avatar picture is also very nice.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by gregmss
it is the best film I've seen all summer (though I'm still waiting on Knocked Up and Ratatouille)

I just saw it yesterday and I would go even FURTHER that that,i think its the best movie of the YEAR.and thats saying a lot in the fact I love Borne ultimatum so much.I would go as far as saying this is one of my top 20 favorite movies of all time matter of fact.after i saw that movie yesterday,I called all my friends and told them they got to go see it even my waiter I had a resteraunt later one.Now thats something I NEVER do even when its a movie I love.I hadnt done that since the first pirates movie.

Faith27
I never thought that John Travolta would play as a mother in one film.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Leggy_n_Merry
It was amazing! I really really loved it. It was very entertaining and everyone was amazing in it, I agree with Dance Inside. Nicki Blonsky was very good! The songs are so catchy, I just had to buy the soundtrack. I'm listening right now. I've just been listening to it non stop. I really want to see it again. I gave it 9/10 and I only didn't give it 10 because I rarely give films 10 unless they are one of my favourite ones ever. Although I think this might end up being one of those and after I've seen it again and again I think I'll probably give it a 10.

Oh my God Dance Inside I love that picture of Zac Efron in your signature! I added it to my scrapbook on Flixter haha how sad am I? Oh well. Your avatar picture is also very nice.

yeah she was great.she has a great voice.this film being one of my top 20 favorites now,I got to give it a 10 myself.I also really liked amanda bynes in it.she was cute. I am going to see this flick several more times.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Faith27
I never thought that John Travolta would play as a mother in one film.

you know there is a thing they have here called spoliers where you can highlight something so that it doesnt give away the movie foeverybody else to see unless they want to look at it.

GizmoGremlins
Here's a cool laid-back interview I found online with Nikki Blonsky and Elijah Kelley of Hairspray.

iklipz.com/MovieDetail.aspx?MovieID=49f01f2c-a5ae-4ed7-bf0f-e32fe9b37c70

Captain REX
Originally posted by Mr Parker
you know there is a thing they have here called spoliers where you can highlight something so that it doesnt give away the movie foeverybody else to see unless they want to look at it.

That's not a spoiler whatsoever. All the promotional gumf has pictures of John Travolta in the make-up, fat suit, and costume of Edna Turnblad.

Mr Parker
Uh maybe theres a lot of people like me and others I know who never saw that pic of him and were shocked at the credits at the end to find out her mom was him.

.Dance_Inside.
I'm seeing this movie again on Saturday for the 7th time!
WOOO

Mr Parker
I dont blame you.I saw this movie again last night and I liked it even better the second time than I did the first time.I said before that I would rank it as one of my top 20 favorite movies of all time.NOW I will go even FURTHER than that.NOW I would have to say I rank it as one of my top 10 favorite movies of all time which is really saying a lot.I want to see it several more times at the theaters as well.the opening theme song just starts off the movie in such a perfect way with the Baltimore song she sings.It really puts you in a great mood and gives you goosebumps.

Scarecrow756
When I was dragged along to see this movie I was going in with really low expectations thinking it was gonna be really crap. But once the credits rolled I was hooked from the first song right to the end of the movie. This is imo one of the best movies of the year and it makes a change from the disappointing comic book movies that have come out this year. Apart from 300 that was an amazing movie.

Mr Parker
yeah thats exactly what i was thinking when i walked in,i was not expecting anything at all.I mean the title alone sounds like a boring movie but just like you said,I was hooked right from the start to the finish with the first song.The first song Baltimore just gets you so pumped up and excited and it just sets the tone for the rest of the movie.

Captain REX
Uh maybe theres a lot of people like me and others I know who never saw that pic of him and were shocked at the credits at the end to find out her mom was him.

In any case, now that the movie is out, it's not considered a spoiler.

allofyousuckkk
IVe got to agree, that isnt a spoiler. I mean, to miss all the ads they had would mean u live in a box or are blind and deaf.

Mr Parker
for the people who HAVENT seen it yet and come on here reading these posts who arent aware that she is him,it would be a spoiler for them.that kind of stuff should not be posted until AFTER the movie is out of the theaters so it wont ruin it for those kind of people that dont know about it.Im glad I already saw the movie and wasnt one of the people to read through all these posts and find that out,that would have ruined the surprise for me that I didnt know about.The whole time throughout the movie I kept thinking to myself-I thought john travolta was in this movie.I havent seen him the whole time though so I guess I heard wrong,I guess he's not.again if I had come on here reading all these posts and not seen it,it would have ruined the whole experience for me.

Leggy_n_Merry
I dont blame you.I saw this movie again last night and I liked it even better the second time than I did the first time.I said before that I would rank it as one of my top 20 favorite movies of all time.NOW I will go even FURTHER than that.NOW I would have to say I rank it as one of my top 10 favorite movies of all time which is really saying a lot.I want to see it several more times at the theaters as well.the opening theme song just starts off the movie in such a perfect way with the Baltimore song she sings.It really puts you in a great mood and gives you goosebumps.

I totally agree with what you said about the Good Morning Baltimore song. I does put you in a great mood and gives you goosebumps.

I should be seeing it again soon yaaaay!

Mr Parker
so how many times will it be for YOU now?

Leggy_n_Merry
Oh I've only seen it once. sad Haven't had a chance to go to the cinema as much these days as most of my friends are working overtime and there's never any time to go. And when there has been a day we can go we've gone out to clubs and stuff for people's birthdays and for results day.

Mr Parker
ahh man you should bypass that.Im gonna see it again friday night.maybe even saturday as well depending on if my friend wants to see it.he says he has seen the play and is telling me there is no way the movie can measure up to the play without even seeing it yet.after I told him I ranked it as one of my top 10 favorites though he said he would try really hard to see it with me saturday.He is going to be proven wrong.I have never seen the play myself but I have no doubt it wont measure up to the movie.musicals usually dont.the play GREASE sucks and I wouldnt say the play FOOTLOOSE sucks,they actually did a pretty good job with it I think,but you cant top the movie.especially since its my favorite movie of all time. wink but footloose did make a few changes I liked that I didnt like about the movie.Like the one thing I never liked about the movie was they had his girlfriend start liking him only AFTER he beat her former boyfriend in that chicken tracter race,which always bugged me.where in the paly,they erased that mistake and had her start liking him for a good reason because her boyfriend Chuck beat her up one time too many.Plus it was touching in the scenes with his mom and him,where in the movie,i didnt get that feeling.

Sweet Escape
So I've seen this movie 5 times during the opening week! Then I went on vacation, and I need to go again soon!

Leggy_n_Merry
Haha I like the use of the word "need".

I was meant to see it today but my friend is working in the evening and she was paranoid she wouldn't get to work in time if we saw it. I'm seeing it tomorrow though and I'm also seeing a Gala Screening of Atontement wooo! I get the book and a Pride & Prejudice DVD, as well as popcorn and a drink!

allofyousuckkk
That is not a spoiler. To say what role an actor is playing wouldn't be a spoiler. Because in that case, it's a spoiler to know that Amanda Bynes is Penny. Half of the people who went to see Hairspray went to see it because Travolta was Edna.

PONG_MASTER
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b391/zombfck/jollyjigg.jpg

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Sweet Escape
So I've seen this movie 5 times during the opening week! Then I went on vacation, and I need to go again soon!

5 times in opening week? wow. Happy Dance

Mr Parker
Originally posted by allofyousuckkk
That is not a spoiler. To say what role an actor is playing wouldn't be a spoiler. Because in that case, it's a spoiler to know that Amanda Bynes is Penny. Half of the people who went to see Hairspray went to see it because Travolta was Edna.

yes it is a spoiler for certain people.I know many people at my workplace like myself who went into it not knowing that was Travolta as her mom.If they were on here reading these posts though-something I sometimes do before I see a movie even when its been out a while,they would be in for a spoiler. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Sweet Escape
5 times in opening week? wow. Happy Dance

Yeah, we'll I love Hairspray. I saw the play a few years ago, and for our chorus concert we sang 'You Can't Stop The Beat' Those two really got me pumped for the movie!

Then I saw the play again on July 28th, it was amazing.

allofyousuckkk
It doesn't matter, to say that would be like sayingthat it's a spoiler to say that Zac Efron is Link. It just isn't. They would have made no money on this had they not let everyone know that John Travolta was Edna.

Mr Parker
It doesn't matter, to say that would be like sayingthat it's a spoiler to say that Zac Efron is Link. It just isn't. They would have made no money on this had they not let everyone know that John Travolta was Edna.

err your comparing apples to oranges,not in the same ballpark at all.I know your clueless about what your talking about for a fact because I have spoken to many people who have told me they thought the same thing,that they had no idea whatsoever john travolta was the mom in the movie until AFTER the movie was over with.its a spoiler for certain people.period.end of discussion.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Sweet Escape
Yeah, we'll I love Hairspray. I saw the play a few years ago, and for our chorus concert we sang 'You Can't Stop The Beat' Those two really got me pumped for the movie!

Then I saw the play again on July 28th, it was amazing.

so how would YOU compare the play to the movie? your the first one I have spoken to who has seen BOTH.Do you think the play measures up to the movie or would you say its like Grease where the movie is awesome but the play sucks?

allofyousuckkk
err your comparing apples to oranges,not in the same ballpark at all.I know your clueless about what your talking about for a fact because I have spoken to many people who have told me they thought the same thing,that they had no idea whatsoever john travolta was the mom in the movie until AFTER the movie was over with.its a spoiler for certain people.period.end of discussion.

I'm really not. It can't be a spoiler if it is known by the general public before the movie came out. Oprah had him on her show, not to mention Tyra and god knows who else. A spoiler would be that Inez wins the miss Hairspray pagaent, It doesnt give anything away about the movie, thus it is not a spoiler.

Mr Parker
I'm really not. It can't be a spoiler if it is known by the general public before the movie came out. Oprah had him on her show, not to mention Tyra and god knows who else. A spoiler would be that Inez wins the miss Hairspray pagaent, It doesnt give anything away about the movie, thus it is not a spoiler.

as I just said,its a spoiler for CERTAIN people. roll eyes (sarcastic) period.end of discussion.I already proved that,Im not going to repeat it for you if your going to choose to ignore it.

Mr Parker
Man I love this movie so much.I will be like shopping at the grocery store and I will like start dancing and singing the songs there.I just found out the other day,that this isnt the first time they have made a movie out of it.That they did back in 1988 as well with Elizabeth Taylor playing the mom. eek!

Sweet Escape
No the original movie had Divine play the mom.

allofyousuckkk
Fine. End of discussion. It is a spoiler to certain people, but not 90% of the people here, thus spoiler tags aren't necessary so please don't flame users for their lack of them.

.Dance_Inside.
I always break out and dance when I hear the music from this movie!
Especially 'Without Love' and 'Ladies Choice'
WOOT

Leggy_n_Merry
Ladies' Choice is an amazing song to break out and dance to! I love the part when it builds up to Link going "Woooooow!".

I'm listening to the soundtrack right now actually. I have to listen to it everyday or I'll go insane hahaha. "It Takes Two" is on now.. this one isn't in the film is it? Only the last line of the song comes on. When I bought the soundtrack I thought I didn't recognise the song.

Mr Parker
btw thanks for posting those pics of Amanda on my Amanda Bynes thread Dance Inside.I cant believe the jerk mod who went and merged my thread about her with the OLD one on her that nobody had even posted on since 2005 and when it wasnt even on the first page. mad

zac_depp_is_luv
omg, i am in LOVE with Hairspray. me and my mom have seen it 6 times. and we have the entire soundtrack memorized.

So the 6th time we went together, we sang ALL the songs and quoted nearly all of it. Then I watched the Teen Choice Awards and i screamed my head off when it won. Oh and dont even get me STARTED on Link. I'm in love with all of his songs. Ladies Choice...genius. It Takes Two...also genius. Without Love....can't even describe how much i love it.

I just picture him in my mind all the time. I picture myself in Tracy's shoes during the kiss scene and I nearly faint just thinking about it. The boy is a freakin s ex god. no question.

The only thing me and my mom listen to in the car currently is the soundtrack. and we always have it blasting and we sing along to it. It totally cheers me up. I'll even break out singing a song like you can't stop the beat or Ladies Choice during lunch at school. Who cares if people stare and think im weird? It's what i love and am passionate about. It rocks my world and November can't come soon enough so I can get the DVD.

Long story short, HAIRSPRAY F***IN ROCKS!!!

.Dance_Inside.
I think you may be my twin!
LMAO
my mom and I have also seen it 6 times, well 7 for me.
And we only listen to Hairspray in the car, and I know the WHOLE Cd, every single song...if someone asked me to sing the whole thing I could do it!

Mr Parker
yeah sounds like your long lost twin. big grin

Leggy_n_Merry
Oh my God you people are so lucky that your mum loves it too! My mum can't stand the music, it really gets on her nerves when I listen to it haha sad

allofyousuckkk
My mom hates the music too. I saw the musical 0on broadway the other day (not to mention rent, with anthony rapp!!! AHHH)

and my seaweed was HORRIBLE. He idd not know how to sing. And tracey said (eeh eeh eeh) instead of (ooh ooh oh) in good morning baltimore.

Otheriwse, it was fabulous.

Mr Parker
well I saw it twice over labor day weekend which brings my total up to 6 now so I am just one behind you right now Dance Inside. wink

Sweet Escape
My mom hates the music too. I saw the musical 0on broadway the other day (not to mention rent, with anthony rapp!!! AHHH)

and my seaweed was HORRIBLE. He idd not know how to sing. And tracey said (eeh eeh eeh) instead of (ooh ooh oh) in good morning baltimore.

Otheriwse, it was fabulous.

I saw it about a month ago (July 28th)

And if its the same cast, I agree about both your points. And I thought the Penny (Alexa Vega) was pretty weak too.

But I thought Ashley Angel Parker was AMAZING as Link. love

Kelly_Bean
Doesn't look very interesting to me to say my honest opinion. Sorry John Travolta. erm

Mr Parker
dont go by what you see in the trailers,thats a major mistake for this movie.I thought grease would suck just by going by the trailers but the movie totally changed my mind and its one of my all time favorites.

Kelly_Bean
dont go by what you see in the trailers,thats a major mistake for this movie.I thought grease would suck just by going by the trailers but the movie totally changed my mind and its one of my all time favorites.
I didn't, I just viewed the trailer, saw that it was a musical, then I judged it. stick out tongue But I guess you're right.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Kelly_Bean
I didn't, I just viewed the trailer, saw that it was a musical, then I judged it. stick out tongue But I guess you're right.

are you not a fan of musicals? if you DONT like musicals,well then I can understand why you wouldnt want to see it because if THATS the case,then yeah,you probably wouldnt like it.But if you DO like them,you GOT to see this movie.have you seen GREASE or FOOTLOOSE? if so,did you like them? if you liked those two,I guarantee you,you'll love HAIRSPRAY.

bakerboy
i have seen it last friday. And i
>loved it. It was absolutely great.Great, great
>musical. I loved the songs and the musical numbers.
>Michelle Pfeiffer was fantastic, as John Travolta ,
>Queen Latifah, James Mardsen and Christopher Walken.
>And the young cast with Nicky BLonsky, Amanda Brynes,
>Zach Efron, Elijah Kelly and Brittany Snow was amazing
>too. Songs like good moring Baltimore, Miss Baltimore
>craps, you are timeless to me, welcome to the 60s, big
>blonde and beautiful or you cant stop the beat are
>simply wonderful.
>
>Loved the movie, loved the actors and love the
>songs.
>This is the best modern musical with Chicago. I will
>buy the dvd when it comes and the cd with the
>soundtrack.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.