75% of America will become overweight by 2015

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JacopeX
More than three quarters of American adults will be overweight by 2015, a survey has found.

Nearly 24 per cent of US children and adolescents will be overweight or obese by 2015
A further 41 per cent will be obese if people continue to gain weight at the current rate, according to the study by Johns Hopkins University.

The team of researchers based in Baltimore looked at national surveys of weight and behaviour as well as examining 20 studies in academic journals.

Their research, published in the Journal of Epidemiological Reviews, also predicted that obesity would soon become the leading preventable cause of death in the United States.

Dr Youfa Yang who led the study said: "Obesity is a public health crisis. If the rate of obesity and overweight continues at this pace, by 2015, 75 per cent of adults and nearly 24 per cent of US children and adolescents will be overweight or obese.

"Every group is steadily getting heavier."

May Beydoun, one of the researchers involved in the study, said: "Obesity is likely to continue to increase, and if nothing is done, it will soon become the leading preventable cause of death in the United States."

The study defined "overweight" and "obese" using the medical definition the Body Mass Index (BMI) which is found by dividing a person's weight in kilos by their height in metres squared.

Under the classification, those with a BMI of 25 or above are considered "overweight" while those with BMIs of 30 or above are "obese" and considered to be at serious risk of heart disease, diabetes and some forms of cancers.

The latest figures show that two thirds of adults and 16 per cent of children and adolescents in the US are currently overweight.

Black women are much more prone to the condition with an alarming 80 per cent aged 40 or over classified overweight and 50 per cent obese.

The United States is the most overweight country in the world and the soaring levels of obesity have been attributed to a poor diet of junk food and fizzy drinks as well as lack of exercise.

In Britain the figures are considerably lower but health experts are warning that the country is now on the brink of an obesity epidemic.

Around a quarter of British adults are obese while the proportion of obese children rose by more than 40 per cent between 1995 and 2004.

Last week a study suggested that a so-called fat tax could save more than 3,000 lives a year. The researchers showed that obesity levels would fall if people were forced to pay more for fattier foods.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;jsessionid=HXAYDJQQ2LLZ1QFIQMGSFGGAVCBQWIV0?xml=/news/2007/07/19/wfat119.x ml

Good Lord! But hey, you can always prove studies wrong. wink

Quiero Mota
That's a damn shame.

chillmeistergen
Not really a big surprise.

JacopeX
By the way, I think the britain being at a near brink of an obesity epidemic is kind of false. erm

chillmeistergen
Well there are plenty of fat bastards here. But, Americans seem the professionals of that field.

Strangelove
Not much of a surprise, no.

dadudemon
I think it is pretty stupid how stupid-stupid people are.

The same person who complains about a young man's woman's tattoo, earring, etc. is the same person who is obese or morbidly obese.

That is hypocrisy. They destroy their bodies and then think that they have the right complain about another person destroying theirs.

Another thing that really pisses me off is the American Government is so hot after Anabolic Steroids that rarely INDIRECTLY kill people but yet we have fat asses dying left and right, alcohol consumption destroying tons of lives and killing others, drugs wreaking havoc and killing people how OD, thousands of people dying all the time from traffic incidents, and many others that I cannot think of at the moment.

Doesn't it kind of seem counter productive to pursue "steroiders" (and things like it that improve health), illegal? If the "government" setup programs to control and maintain these types of "drugs" then we could help curb this obesity epidemic. In a controlled environment under a doctor's supervision...steroids and things like them can be very beneficial...especially for obese people.

In addition to our government focusing their attention on things more important, Americans need to get up off that ASS!!!

Any excuse you have for not working out if you are a fat ass is a fatal excuse! I have heard anything from, "Oh, I have to pick my children up and then make dinner and then it is time to go to bed", to "I am busy with work all the time." Such stupid stupid pieces of shi.t!!! I want to smack the crap out of them when they even try to justify why they can't work out when they are obese.

Will they have to worry about their children being taken care of if they become a vegetable from a stroke or worse, dying from a heart attack/stroke? What about arthritis from having cankles all of their life?

There is no end to how pissed off I am about fat ass Americans...

I will continue my rant later because it is already very long.

Röland
Originally posted by dadudemon
Any excuse you have for not working out if you are a fat ass is a fatal excuse! I have heard anything from, "Oh, I have to pick my children up and then make dinner and then it is time to go to bed", to "I am busy with work all the time." Such stupid stupid pieces of shi.t!!! I want to smack the crap out of them when they even try to justify why they can't work out when they are obese.

A big problem as to why bigger people don't try to get into shape is because many of them, as well as people in general, do not want to wait a month to see results. They want results right away, that's why all those stupid diet pills and shakes are made.

JacopeX
Sometimes, countries can have too much. I mean, what about the starving children in Africa, Asia, and South America? Why can't the government think of a way to give food to those who really need it besides the fat people here who it eat just because it taste's good?

And how about P.E. Classes in elementarty school? why can't the school system think of a way to make it more strict to at least try to have children into physical activities.

I used to be fat, but when I got into soccer, I changed alot. wink

Röland
Originally posted by JacopeX

Same here but when I started playing football my freshman year and I ran/lifted everyday, I got in shape fast.

I don't think it said it in the article you posted Jacope, but I heard on Jay Leno last night that doctors are speculating that obesity is going to be the leading cause of death in the U.S. by 2012 or somewhere around that year.

ragesRemorse
not to sure why so many other countries are self righteous on this issue. America is much larger in mass and population than most of the countries that berade the obesity issue atop of their high horse of righteousness.
I'm not trying to defend the obesity epidemic, but you have to understand the culture before you insult the issue. The capitalist consumer driven society requests that mass produced foods are made with certain preservatives and other synthetic chemicals. So as Americans are forcily herded to Super stores, much of our food selections are narrowed down to ultra processed foods.
Where as many European countries and towns rely on freshly harvested foods. I know That the captilalism of franchises such as wallmart and other super stores have reached across the pond. Most towns still offer a predominant selection of fresh organic products.

A prime example is Germany. I use this as an example because i experienced it first hand. Here in America most people go food shopping once every two weeks. During this venture food is massed in economy sizes and stored to last. now i know this routine is practiced similarly in most countries. However, while in Germany and France, I integrated the cultures way of eating food into my life. when it came to meats, vegetables, and fruits. These prodcuts were purchased fresh the same day or no more than a few days before the intent on using. This gave the perspective of eating only when you needed to aside from enjoying outings to restaurants.
Living in America we are always surrounded by food, and having the mentality of living to work rather than working to live. Food is often consumed on the run. The most accesible foods on the run is obviously "fast food". Obesity and gluttony is a result of consuerism, and any wealthy society of captilism is fueled by consumerism. One of the cons of this, is that cemented franchises such as a target, a wallmart, etc will overshadow independent business and farmer markets, forcing the people to shop there.
So before you berade America and title them lazy pigs, try to understand the culture. Americans are not lazy, just a product of consumerism. It isnt as easy to say, well you know what you eat, eat smart and healthy. Granted you can eat smart while staying cheap, but eating healthy while staying cheap is impossible to do. Grocery stores are divided into inexpensive ultra processed foods, and over expensive organic healthy foods.

Again, im not trying to glorify America's obesity, just requesting people to seek understanding of the cultural reasons of the "obesity epidemic" There are plenty of fat slobs, who stuff their faces with mcdonalds for every meal of the day all the while bitching about their lack of funds from their welfare check. As a whole however, Americans are the SAME as anyone else. Ive traveled across the world to many countries, and we are all the same individually.

Ultimate Hulk43
I don't believe this at all, no one can predict the future.

chithappens
Can't blame that on pork LOL

Ultimate Hulk43
Sometimes, countries can have too much. I mean, what about the starving children in Africa, Asia, and South America? Why can't the government think of a way to give food to those who really need it besides the fat people here who it eat just because it taste's good?

And how about P.E. Classes in elementarty school? why can't the school system think of a way to make it more strict to at least try to have children into physical activities.

Even if the physical activities are strict, that's not stopping children from going home & eating more than ever.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Ultimate Hulk43
I don't believe this at all, no one can predict the future.

Yes you can. If i eat ice cream everyday all day, you can accurately predict that i will get fat. Polls like these are only speculation anyway, but speculation concluded by mathematics and current trends.

chithappens
Still you gotta admit, this is pretty damn funny. Anyone have an obesity chart so we can see how big is obese?

ragesRemorse

America does give food to those countries. Food drops used to be performed by the military in the early ninties quite often by America in certain parts of Africa. This however, was haulted when people were being killed over this food by intercepting gangs using the food for power. Food is now distributed more conservatively by certain organizations like the red cross and so forth.

My question though, Is why cannot these countries own governments feed their own people? confused This is a rehtorical question by the way.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by chithappens
Still you gotta admit, this is pretty damn funny. Anyone have an obesity chart so we can see how big is obese?

laughing out loud

Röland

If you use the body mass index, I think it's over 25% is obese. But it all depends on your height and the BMI doesn't incorporate muscle. So you could be 5'11", 225 and be totally fit yet the BMI will say you are obese.

Edit: Here's a link http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

dadudemon
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
not to sure why so many other countries are self righteous on this issue. America is much larger in mass and population than most of the countries that berade the obesity issue atop of their high horse of righteousness.
I'm not trying to defend the obesity epidemic, but you have to understand the culture before you insult the issue. The capitalist consumer driven society requests that mass produced foods are made with certain preservatives and other synthetic chemicals. So as Americans are forcily herded to Super stores, much of our food selections are narrowed down to ultra processed foods.
Where as many European countries and towns rely on freshly harvested foods. I know That the captilalism of franchises such as wallmart and other super stores have reached across the pond. Most towns still offer a predominant selection of fresh organic products.

A prime example is Germany. I use this as an example because i experienced it first hand. Here in America most people go food shopping once every two weeks. During this venture food is massed in economy sizes and stored to last. now i know this routine is practiced similarly in most countries. However, while in Germany and France, I integrated the cultures way of eating food into my life. when it came to meats, vegetables, and fruits. These prodcuts were purchased fresh the same day or no more than a few days before the intent on using. This gave the perspective of eating only when you needed to aside from enjoying outings to restaurants.
Living in America we are always surrounded by food, and having the mentality of living to work rather than working to live. Food is often consumed on the run. The most accesible foods on the run is obviously "fast food". Obesity and gluttony is a result of consuerism, and any wealthy society of captilism is fueled by consumerism. One of the cons of this, is that cemented franchises such as a target, a wallmart, etc will overshadow independent business and farmer markets, forcing the people to shop there.
So before you berade America and title them lazy pigs, try to understand the culture. Americans are not lazy, just a product of consumerism. It isnt as easy to say, well you know what you eat, eat smart and healthy. Granted you can eat smart while staying cheap, but eating healthy while staying cheap is impossible to do. Grocery stores are divided into inexpensive ultra processed foods, and over expensive organic healthy foods.

Again, im not trying to glorify America's obesity, just requesting people to seek understanding of the cultural reasons of the "obesity epidemic" There are plenty of fat slobs, who stuff their faces with mcdonalds for every meal of the day all the while bitching about their lack of funds from their welfare check. As a whole however, Americans are the SAME as anyone else. Ive traveled across the world to many countries, and we are all the same individually.

Wrong.

I can buy a tub of Whey Protein that has 74 servings in it for $40. Try to spend 40 bucks on something else and see if you can get 74 servings. It wouldn't hurt if this so called "fast and on the go" American only drank a whey protein shake for breakfast or lunch. It's faster and it cost's less and it can actually help improve your health. Why don't Americans do that? Simple...it doesn't taste as good as Krispy Kreme or McDonald's. It is the lack of self control. I agree that if all other countries had access to what we did, then they would be fat asses or even worse off then Americans are. It is more or less a thing of human will power than it is a thing of Americans.

But right now, it is stupid Americans being stupid.

Don't the hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills greatly outweigh the cost of buying healthy? I used to work in medical insurance...I know how much it costs.

These same Americans who supposedly work their ass off also watch 2-3 hours of TV a day...on a f@#$$ing average!!! The average American is also obese!!! Hmmmm....maybe they should spend that time working out? Nope...America is hooked on the "god of consumerism".

I live in America...I have lived in America all my life...my ancestors were here in the 17th century...I know America and America is a fat ass money grubbing whore!!!!

Other than that...I love everything about it! big grin

dadudemon

Tengu
i saw 2 horridly fat people the other day walk out of a chinese restuarant, and my mom said it was sad... I didnt care much for it, but i couldnt help but be pissed for them, and their lack of awareness or consideration for their own bodies. Regardless of the expenses of food, one should learn to control their eating habits, so as not to ruin the body, and let it get to a state of obesisty.

Its all awareness to me.... and for some reason, Americans or some americans, aren't necssarily saying its ok, but they're saying that you should except who you are, and not really care what other people think. On matters like this its completely ludacris.... Sure people may mock you, and say very hurtful things regarding your size and weight, but well something should be done about it, and instead of saying " I dont mind being fat, or Happy like this, thats all that matters right?" you need to get of your ass, and shed the pounds, its for your body's sake.....

I have a BMI of 22.4 and I'm very very atheletic. not saying fat people need to play sports and take the athelte route, but they need to take care of themselves.

Röland
Agreed. I have a BMI of about 32 but I look better naked than 99.999% of American men.

I'm 5'3", weigh 145, I workout everyday yet it says I'm overweight as well.

dadudemon

Röland
Congrats on your work ethic.

Excuse me, I meant a BMI of 27-29.

5'10" and 190-200lbs. (My weight flucuates from day day.)

I'm graduated now but I used to be fat in Jr. High and hated working out or doing any running of any sort. But when I started football my Freshman year where we HAD to run/lift everyday it really opened my eyes to how good I felt from working out.

ragesRemorse
Wrong.

I can buy a tub of Whey Protein that has 74 servings in it for $40. Try to spend 40 bucks on something else and see if you can get 74 servings. It wouldn't hurt if this so called "fast and on the go" American only drank a whey protein shake for breakfast or lunch. It's faster and it cost's less and it can actually help improve your health. Why don't Americans do that? Simple...it doesn't taste as good as Krispy Kreme or McDonald's. It is the lack of self control. I agree that if all other countries had access to what we did, then they would be fat asses or even worse off then Americans are. It is more or less a thing of human will power than it is a thing of Americans.

It is stupid Americans being stupid.

Don't the hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills greatly outweigh the cost of buying healthy? I used to work in medical insurance...I know how much it costs.

These same Americans who supposedly work their ass off also watch 2-3 hours of TV a day...on a f@#$$ing average!!! The average American is also obese!!! Hmmmm....maybe they should spend that time working out? Nope...America is hooked on the "god of consumerism".

I live in America...I have lived in America all my life...my ancestors were here in the 17th century...I know America and America is a fat ass money grubbing whore!!!!

Other than that...I love everything about it! big grin

For one, suggesting the idea of living off of whey protien or other protien diet supplimented drinks is amazingly ignorant. Give that lifestlye a few months before your kidneys and liver quiver in a dying wail. Your daily protien intake should not exceed 80 grams, most Americans consume around 120-200 grams a day. sad Suppliments do not replace a healthy diet of consuming your nutrients and vitamins through natural foods. The human body just isnt designed to consume like that.

i completely agree with you that America suffers from a consumer mentality, but that is what fuels the economy. It is a sad and accepted evil. Orgainic and fresh healthy foods are more expensive, that is just fact. Should we prioritize finances for a healthy living? Yes most certainly, but our consumer mentality prohibts this. Not when like you say healthcare costs so much, jimmy and jennifers fashion clothes cost more than a grocery bill, and all of the other bills of our luxories drain our paychecks not leaving much for good food.
Again, i wasnt trying to defend the health problems of Americans, just trying to help quell the ignorant assaults. Because one's health is lacking does not make them lazy, it just means their priorities dont include a healthy living. If i watch 3 hours of T.V to relax before going to bed after a 14 hour work day doesnt make me lazy.

Röland
For one, suggesting the idea of living off of whey protien or other protien diet supplimented drinks is amazingly ignorant. Give that lifestlye a few months before your kidneys and liver quiver in a dying wail. Your daily protien intake should not exceed 80 grams, most Americans consume around 120-200 grams a day. sad Suppliments do not replace a healthy diet of consuming your nutrients and vitamins through natural foods. The human body just isnt designed to consume like that.

I think he means more along the lines of substituting a meal or two with a Whey protein shake, not living solely on protein shakes.

Bardock42
Agreed. I have a BMI of about 32 but I look better naked than 99.999% of American men.

Yes, those objective "better looking than" scales agree with you

dadudemon
Originally posted by Bardock42
Yes, those objective "better looking than" scales agree with you

I wasn't referring to my face...I think I am below average in looks but from the face down...I'm good. I had to work at that though and it wasn't something I was born with.

ragesRemorse

Bardock42
I wasn't referring to my face...I think I am below average in looks but from the face down...I'm good. I had to work at that though and it wasn't something I was born with.

Statement still applies.

BlaxicanHydra
I took the body mass index thing you posted. I'm 6'3, 250 pounds, and ti says I'm obese.

no expression Damn.

Magee
wow now people think they can tell people what to eat, maybe next we can tell them when to go to sleep or when to take a shit! Its there body they do what they want, they know the risks they know they will die young and there is fuk all any one can do about it, live with it.

Röland
Originally posted by Magee
wow now people think they can tell people what to eat, maybe next we can tell them when to go to sleep or when to take a shit! Its there body they do what they want, they know the risks they know they will die young and there is fuk all any one can do about it, live with it.

You don't think it's sad that by 2015 the term "obese" will be considered a normal/average weight?

dadudemon

Bardock42

ADarksideJedi
With all the single parents giving there kids burger king and take out food.What do you expect for kids being obese?jm

Röland
Why should he?

I guess he doesn't have to.

But don't you think people should be concerned about this?

Bardock42

dadudemon
Originally posted by Magee

True.

Also, I have been living with it all my life. Even my parents are obese. Heck, my father is past the morbidly obese category.

It wouldn't piss me off as much if Americans had a choice but they friggin do!!! It's not like they have to choose to be fat asses.

Röland
There's no reason. I figure you need reasons to be concerned. To not be concerned seems the default. So, no logical reasons for concern should equal no concern.

I see your point, I'm just saying that it's getting bad when obesity is slowly becoming the leading cause of death.

Bardock42

chithappens
So are we all in agreeing that obesity is a choice?

Bardock42
So are we all in agreeing that obesity is a choice? In most cases.

Röland
I don't know. It seems to me that it is a choice. If people want to be obese I see no problem with it. Also, especially with the average's today there are apparently studies that slight overweight is better healthwise...I mean, it's all not quite that clear cut.

I guess I have mixed feelings on the issue really. I don't want to try to tell people what to do with their bodies but both of my parents are overweight and they struggle with everyday life by being overweight. So it just raises my eyebrows when I see articles like this.

chithappens
I don't really can't pretend to understand obesity because I'm not obese.

\My mother is obese but she used to be REALLY skinny. After her and my father split her weight went up.

dadudemon
Statement still applies.

Sorry, I have Mother Nature on my side. I am not referring to societal norms, I am referring to what Mother Nature has instilled into our genetic code as far as instincts go. On the basic carnal level, a muscular physique is more desirable than an obese one as far as males go. The strong muscular physique is wanted in many many species ranging from invertebrates to mammals.

There was a test run at I belive Columbia University.(Verification is required.) The testers ran 10 images of 10 different people by a group of people. (I don't remember how many though. Verification still needed.)

Anyway, these pictures contained images of very beautiful people, mentally handicapped, physically retarded and other dysmorphia, average looking people, and "fat" people.

They had the test subjects rank each image from most attractive to least attractive...most of the people ranked the obese people last.

That means they find retarded people more attractive than fat people!!!!! At the basic animal instincts level, this means that those individuals would rather reproduce with mentally and physically retarded people than a fat person...even though a fat person may be the better genetic choice.

What do you think?

Röland
What do you think?

The media also plays a big role in that study as well, on a sub-concious level. IMO.

dadudemon
In most cases.

True that some people have medical problems that prevent them from staying at a healthy weight such as thyroid problems...fat metabolism problems, type 2 diabetes, etc.

But here is the kicker...they still have a choice!!! LOL!

Even people who have type 2 diabetes still have a choice of keeping their health. People also get type 2 diabetes from being obese and not eating well! (Like my father.)

In fact, if you have type 2 diabetes, you can improve your health by eating low glycemic index carbs and eating quality proteins and fats. Want to fall into a diabetic coma? drink soda pop. (Fructose is very high on the glycemic index.)

dadudemon

JacopeX
That's it!

When I have children, we will eat take out food on special occassions. Everything else will be at home food. And of course, I will try to get them interested in physical activities. No children of mine will join a sorry ass statistic.

JacopeX
I don't know. It seems to me that it is a choice. If people want to be obese I see no problem with it. Also, especially with the average's today there are apparently studies that slight overweight is better healthwise...I mean, it's all not quite that clear cut. Sure, it is a choice but can't you see why and how they choose to eat all this greasy food? That is the main problem.

Quiero Mota
BMI's are inherently flawed porque a fat guy and a buff guy who are the exact same height and weight, but obviously of different health statuses, will have the same results.

Originally posted by BlaxicanHydra
I took the body mass index thing you posted. I'm 6'3, 250 pounds, and ti says I'm obese.

no expression Damn.

^ See what I mean.

Obesity is when 33% or more of your bodyweight is fat.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
BMI's are inherently flawed porque a fat guy and a buff guy who are the exact same height and weight, but obviously of different health statuses, will have the same results.

^ See what I mean.

Obesity is when 33% or more of your bodyweight is fat.

As a former perosonal trainer and med student...I think the BMI is BS. It should really be a measurement of blood lipids, a cardio health measurement, and a body fat percentage. The BMI is a guideline measurement and that is quick and easy which is why it is used.

True that someone who has a BMI of 20 can look healthy and die the next day of a heart attackor a stroke. (Siskel from the Famous group Siskel and Ebert.)

Kenshinswife
Okay, i may be off by a long shot becuz its 2:50 in the morning...but i dont necessarily think obesity is a choice rather than a strong influential enviorment.. for a lack of better terminology.
Okay here's an example. An obese couple has a child... the odds of that child winding up obese are HIGH simply because the parents were obese it was normal...it isnt that childs CHOICE that they are fat but because thats all they know.if all they know are happy meals and big macs what then?.....they werent raised "healthy" its not their choice and its not their fault until they reach a certain age where they can actually take control of how they live and what they eat. ...At least in my opinion...

Rogue Jedi
I will not be one of said 75%.

Bardock42
Sorry, I have Mother Nature on my side. I am not referring to societal norms, I am referring to what Mother Nature has instilled into our genetic code as far as instincts go. On the basic carnal level, a muscular physique is more desirable than an obese one as far as males go. The strong muscular physique is wanted in many many species ranging from invertebrates to mammals.

There was a test run at I belive Columbia University.(Verification is required.) The testers ran 10 images of 10 different people by a group of people. (I don't remember how many though. Verification still needed.)

Anyway, these pictures contained images of very beautiful people, mentally handicapped, physically retarded and other dysmorphia, average looking people, and "fat" people.

They had the test subjects rank each image from most attractive to least attractive...most of the people ranked the obese people last.

That means they find retarded people more attractive than fat people!!!!! At the basic animal instincts level, this means that those individuals would rather reproduce with mentally and physically retarded people than a fat person...even though a fat person may be the better genetic choice.

What do you think?

Don't understand....seems like you changed your mind half way.

Anyways, it was more about the 99.9% Americans look less good naked than you. Seems arrogant and unfounded.

Sure, it is a choice but can't you see why and how they choose to eat all this greasy food? That is the main problem.

Tastes good? I can't see why people eat celery and cabbage...

True that some people have medical problems that prevent them from staying at a healthy weight such as thyroid problems...fat metabolism problems, type 2 diabetes, etc.

But here is the kicker...they still have a choice!!! LOL!

Even people who have type 2 diabetes still have a choice of keeping their health. People also get type 2 diabetes from being obese and not eating well! (Like my father.)

In fact, if you have type 2 diabetes, you can improve your health by eating low glycemic index carbs and eating quality proteins and fats. Want to fall into a diabetic coma? drink soda pop. (Fructose is very high on the glycemic index.)

I am not sure if it is always a choice. If someone has a medical condition they might not really have a choice...

~LunaLoveG~
so then that means 30 % annerixic (sp) and 5 % normal weight people. the future looks bright big grin

Bardock42
Originally posted by ~LunaLoveG~
so then that means 30 % annerixic (sp) and 5 % normal weight people. the future looks bright big grin

Actually 5% normal weight people by today standards.

Should clarify.

Ushgarak
Changing the thread title, seeing it is a. untrue and b. contradicted by the original poster's first sentence.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Changing the thread title, seeing it is a. untrue and b. contradicted by the original poster's first sentence.

Well, "Dr Youfa Yang who led the study said: "Obesity is a public health crisis. If the rate of obesity and overweight continues at this pace, by 2015, 75 per cent of adults and nearly 24 per cent of US children and adolescents will be overweight or obese."

It might be untrue, but it's kinda what the article said....and Jacope might just have referred to adults.

Ushgarak
I suggest you read that back more carefully and compare to the original title.

When I said 'untrue' it was not a personal opinion. It was a simple misrepresentation of the OP's own provided evidence.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Ushgarak
I suggest you read that back more carefully and compare to the original title.

When I said 'untrue' it was not a personal opinion. It was a simple misrepresentation of the OP's own provided evidence. Oh right, I thought you didn't change it yet, my bad.

WrathfulDwarf
I blame the Europeans for our obesity problems. It's their fault.

The Italians...for inventing Pizza.

The Germans...for making great beer.

The French...and their tasty Cheese.

The British/French....for making delicious baked goods.

The Irish...for their potatoes.

They made it...we try to copy them. If it weren't for them we would be eating nothing but beans and corn bread.

dadudemon

2D_MASTER

JacopeX

BobbyD
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
Well there are plenty of fat bastards here. But, Americans seem the professionals of that field.

Indeed .... is quite shameful. embarrasment

Robtard
Let me put it this way,

"Every dude wants to look like Brad Pitt from Fight Club but no one puts forth the effort to get there."

No, no and no. I'd rather look like Brad Pitt from "Troy"... so "hawt".

botankus
It's these damn "inner beauty" freaks' fault.

Schecter
Originally posted by Robtard
No, no and no. I'd rather look like Brad Pitt from "Troy"... so "hawt".

id settle for '12 monkeys' brad pitt.

botankus
I thought "Meet Joe Black" would be the obvious choice. Only one catch: it would have to include his voice.

PITT_HAPPENS
I find that it is more expensive to buy healthier food as a general then the less healthy foods, since I am overweight and been trying to loose some weight. I know what I need to do and how to eat, I used to be very active in my youth and in great shape but with my job and the little free time I have it is hard to find the time and I think that is just one of the causes for this problem if money and lack of time.

botankus
Is your job at a desk? If you go the whole day without using a desk chair you could easily burn 100 extra calories.

debbiejo
Well if people would get a life, we wouldn't have this problem..

Go scuba diving or something.

PITT_HAPPENS

botankus
I meant standing up while typing. Try it, it's fun!

debbiejo
Don't eat a junky lunch and take the stairs.......works for me.. cool

PITT_HAPPENS
Originally posted by botankus
I meant standing up while typing. Try it, it's fun! Kinda hard to do that with my job. winkOriginally posted by debbiejo
Don't eat a junky lunch and take the stairs.......works for me.. cool I do eat better it is just the lack of exercise, which my wife bugs me all the time about. I have a 3 story apartment so I get lots of stairs wink

botankus
Step one - Avoid this:

Jack Harkness
For once I am damn proud to be British.

PITT_HAPPENS

debbiejo
Step one - Avoid this: You're asking for a miracle... laughing out loud You're gonna scare most of the country.

Schecter

KidRock
I hate seeing really obese people walking into a Mcdonalds, they are slowly killing themselves.

If they just cut the soda and fast food out of their diet, and maybe walked a few miles it would at least make them healthier. I guess people for the most part just dont care.

2D_MASTER
Originally posted by Jack Harkness
For once I am damn proud to be British.

Nobody sould be proud to be British, since you all became J.K. Rowling's whores.

Robtard
Originally posted by Schecter
holy crap here i was thinking it was cooincidence.
30 is just a ****ed age. not 29 and not 31, mind you all.

within about 4 months of turning 30 i put on about 40 lbs.
thankfully i lost 30 by simply not pigging out anymore and drinking like crazy,
but it just sneaks up on you and attacks with a vengeance. all you youngins beware.

10 pounds gained a month for 4 consecutive months... you fat lazy bastard!

P.S. my Brad Pitt is way "Hawter" than yours. Same goes for you Botanki-bastard.

Schecter
10 pounds gained a month for 4 consecutive months... you fat lazy bastard!

it was a frikin nightmare.

Robtard
it was a frikin nightmare.

What'd you max out at 190-200?

Schecter
teetered on the brink of 200.

Röland
Step one - Avoid this:

I think I'd have a heart attack on the spot, at the age of 19, if I ate one of those.

Robtard
teetered on the brink of 200.

At your height and considering it was a pure 40lbs of fat gained... that is seriously unhealthy.

Schecter
At your height and considering it was a pure 40lbs of fat gained... that is seriously unhealthy.

yes...well that goes without saying. im 165 now and my goal is 155. losing that 30 lbs was easy but this just seems impossible. i did cardio for like 4 months on a recumbant bike and ended up with huge legs and the same gut laughing out loud

Röland
yes...well that goes without saying. im 165 now and my goal is 155. losing that 30 lbs was easy but this just seems impossible. i did cardio for like 4 months on a recumbant bike and ended up with huge legs and the same gut laughing out loud

laughing out loud

As much as it sucks, you gotta run to lose stomach fat. I hate running.

dadudemon
Dudes!!! It's not the food really...well it is the food but not as much as you would think. It is the lack of exercise!!!

To maintain my bodyweight, I have to be on a 4000 calorie diet....

I am dieting right now so my daily caloric intake is between 2900 and 3100 calories a day.

I eat six meals or more a day. I woke up at 10 am (CST) this morning and as of right now, I have eaten 3 times. My pre and post workout meal is not included in the meal total.

You really just have to work out and get a decent amount of protein in your body to lose weight. Sometimes it means dropping calories if you are eating too much but really, all it is is just working out. (Cardio AND weights.)

I stayed around 205 at 13-15% body fat while eating at McDonald's at least once a day. In fact, McDonald's was a part of my diet...now that I am dieting...I only eat at McDonalds for a salad or their chicken breasts. (1 chicken breast patty is only a buck from McDonalds!!!)

Right now, I am between 12-13% body fat and I am trying to work my way down to 8%. Generally, at 12%, you start to get a six pack and I have a six pack now. (Though it doesn't look like Brad Pitts from fight club.)

I still eat at Carls Junior every now and then for a cheat meal.

If anyone is interested, I will put up my entire diet for you and give you my MS Excel spreadsheet with the workout in it.

chillmeistergen
Well it is eating, because most people's lives don't revolve around lifting bits of heavy metal.
It would be good if they exercised as well, but, I know plenty of people who don't do any exercise and aren't fat.

Robtard
He has a point there Dadudemon... I also know people who never and I mean never work out/exercise and they're not fat. Your routine is based on both being fit and gaining muscle mass, not just being healthy it seems.

My wife lost a grip of weight on pure dieting, i.e. regulating how much she eats and what she eats, not exercising. I am also a strong advocate of working out, but it isn't mandatory if you just want to lose weight/fat.

dadudemon
I don't disagree with that. I am saying that it is possible to barely change your diet and still lose weight/gain muscle.

My workout/diet is primarily for males who want to be lean and muscular.

Sure, you can do the 6-8 meal a day thing and lose weight without having to workout. And that works just fine as well if you goal is simply to lose body fat at a slow pace. (and there isn't anything wrong with a slow pace either.) If you do the small meals type of thing...try to throw in some cardio or some yoga 2-4 times a week just for long term health's sake.

BackFire
I'm already considered overweight so I'm good to go.

Gonna go eat a pizza now. All you skinny stick figures enjoy your salads, I'll die happy, thanks.

Schecter
Originally posted by BackFire

Gonna go eat a pizza now. All you skinny stick figures enjoy your salads, I'll die happy, thanks.

you're off the sperm diet?

BackFire
No, just cheating, really.

Still eat lots of that stuff.

KidRock

I'll die happy, thanks.

And 20 years earlier then the rest of us.

Schecter
not necessarily.

as much of a twit as i think you are, i never had you pegged as one of those healthnuts who delude themselves into thinking that they can dictate their lifespan.

dadudemon

Would you call 200lbs at 5'10" skinny? Didn't think so.

Which is why I say, "improve the quality of life" instead of saying "increase your life span." True that a good diet can increase your life span by more than double sometimes, it is not a guarentee because there are plenty of other ways to die other than bad health.

2D_MASTER
not necessarily.

as much of a twit as i think you are, i never had you pegged as one of those healthnuts who delude themselves into thinking that they can dictate their lifespan.

Well being a fat-ass won't promote vitality, will it?

Schecter
Which is why I say, "improve the quality of life" instead of saying "increase your life span." True that a good diet can increase your life span by more than double sometimes, it is not a guarentee because there are plenty of other ways to die other than bad health.

...or you could wake up on fire. i understand the concept of health and longevity, but cant stand when people act like they conquered death because they eat salads and jog. thats what i mean.

Devil King

BackFire

You didn't even give me a chance to answer, stickboy.

Careful, don't let the wind blow you over.

Oh, Kidrock. You enjoy being 80 or whatever, I'm sure I'll be missing out on alot, like shitting my pants regularly and struggling to drive a car without causing mass genocide. Shux.

chillmeistergen

Nah, I'd call it fat.

Schecter
You didn't even give me a chance to answer, stickboy.

Careful, don't let the wind blow you over.

Oh, Kidrock. You enjoy being 80 or whatever, I'm sure I'll be missing out on alot, like shitting my pants regularly and struggling to drive a car without causing mass genocide. Shux.

fondling and groping hot young nurses and getting away with it when someone half your age would be locked up. you sure about this?

BackFire
Lies.

No hot nurses wait on 80 year olds.

In fact I don't think I've ever seen an actual hot nurse.

Schecter
Lies.

No hot nurses wait on 80 year olds.

In fact I don't think I've ever seen an actual hot nurse.

they're out there. and i hear they give great sponge.

chillmeistergen
Problem is, if you're 80, a sponging's all you're gonna recieve.

BackFire
You are a liar.

You know what I do to liars, don't you?

Split them.

Schecter
im not a liar, but your offer intrigues me...not sure how to respond...

*spreads*

WrathfulDwarf
I heard that to be healthy and to live longer you have to go outside and jog in the street.

Odd thing in the news, the other day a jogger was hit by a truck on his way to park. Wow! I sure want to live forever.

Rogue Jedi
*grabs camera*

BackFire
That's right, nice and wide now.

ohhh yeah.

dadudemon
Nah, I'd call it fat.

Another smart ass answer from harry potter...

I was referring to myself.

PITT_HAPPENS
I'm not fat, I just ran into someone really hard wink

2D_MASTER
I wonder who has bigger t.its, out of these three ; Schecter, Robtard and Backfire...

dadudemon
Originally posted by 2D_MASTER
I wonder who has bigger t.its, out of these three ; Schecter, Robtard and Backfire...

That reminds me of something...

There was this guy I went to highschool with that was really fat. He always stunk like stinky feet. He showered everday as well..just not very well.

Well, one day after practice, we were all talking in the locker room about titts(Typical immature highschool boys). Well, one thing led to another and this fat guy put a finger under one of his man titties and pulled out some frumunda cheese from his boob...just like it was stinky toe crud.....it was so gross...frumunda titty cheese... sick

debbiejo
Is everyone on here little fatties??

huh

BackFire
His mantits must be legendary.

Mine don't create cheese of any sort.

I'm a little jealous.

2D_MASTER
That reminds me of something...

There was this guy I went to highschool with that was really fat. He always stunk like stinky feet. He showered everday as well..just not very well.

Well, one day after practice, we were all talking in the locker room about titts(Typical immature highschool boys). Well, one thing led to another and this fat guy put a finger under one of his man titties and pulled out some frumunda cheese from his boob...just like it was stinky toe crud.....it was so gross...frumunda titty cheese... sick

Thanks for ruining my day, ass.hole...

dadudemon
His mantits must be legendary.

Mine don't create cheese of any sort.

I'm a little jealous. laughing big grin

2D_MASTER
Originally posted by debbiejo

huh

Well I am not, If you care.

JacopeX
Originally posted by debbiejo

huh Why should it matter?

dadudemon
Thanks for ruining my day, ass.hole...

I noticed you edited your post to by pass the censor....you think you are sooooo sneaky...but I know your wicked little ways...you non-fat ass.

2D_MASTER
I noticed you edited your post to by pass the censor....you think you are sooooo sneaky...but I know your wicked little ways...you non-fat ass.

Well I wanted to convey the seriousness of my post, that little anecdote actually disgusted me.

chillmeistergen
Another smart ass answer from harry potter...

I was referring to myself.

I know, it was a joke, considering you replied to a post which was not directed at you in anyway, I thought I might do the same. Harry Potter? What's that about?

dadudemon
I know, it was a joke, considering you replied to a post which was not directed at you in anyway, I thought I might do the same. Harry Potter? What's that about?

Isn't a smartass answer always a joke? I don't mind it at all and I actually enjoy you being such a big smartass.

And about the harry potter thing...you are from the UK and you just seem like the type to look like harry potter...without the lightening bolt.

Robtard

Well, I'm 5'9", 165 pounds, around 8-10% body fat, so my titties aren't that big and they're fairly solid, not sure you'd enjoy sucking and cuddling them, then again, who knows what gets you off.

You've seen pics of Schector, as you always comment of them; it doesn't look like he has much boob for you to suckle either, from what can be seen.

Now Backfire, he may be your lucky pony, ask him, he might have some flabby man-boob for you to nestle into, so you can feel secure and think yo yourself "Ahh... I could just die here."

chillmeistergen
Isn't a smartass answer always a joke? I don't mind it at all and I actually enjoy you being such a big smartass.

And about the harry potter thing...you are from the UK and you just seem like the type to look like harry potter...without the lightening bolt.

Haha, nah I'm afraid I don't look like Harry Potter, thank God.

2D_MASTER
Well, I'm 5'9", 165 pounds, around 8-10% body fat, so my titties aren't that big and they're solid, not sure you'd enjoy sucking on them, then again, who knows what gets you off.

You've seen pics of Schector, as you always comment of them; it doesn't look like he has much boob for you to suckle either from what can be seen.

Now Backfire, he may be your lucky pony, ask him, he might have some flabby man-boob for you to nestle into, so you can feel secure and think yo yourself "Ahh... I could just die here."

Hahaha, I was waiting for another morsel of your delicately seasoned wit. Well, I am bit disappointed, I must say. It was far more funny that you actually told me your height, weight and body fat percentage, insecure maybe...

Robtard
Hahaha, I was waiting for another morsel of your delicately seasoned wit. Well, I am bit disappointed, I must say. It was far more funny that you actually told me your height, weight and body fat percentage, insecure maybe...

Damn, you just "pwned" me again...

dadudemon

You know, I always thought "pwning" someone sounded perverted...kind of like Jaco's uncle teaching him about sex... big grin

2D_MASTER

Why must you call my material "lame" and "repeative", only to go and turn around and use it? Tsk tsk, I don't get it.

Happy Dance < FYE the dancing Banana signifies that I'm not serious. Cool how that works huh?

Robtard
Why must you call my material "lame" and "repeative", only to go and turn around and use it? Tsk tsk, I don't get it.

Happy Dance < FYE the dancing Banana signifies that I'm not serious. Cool how that works huh?

Holy crap! Did you just "pwn" me again by not "pwning" me? You're good; I really mean that!

"FYE"...WTF is that?

JacopeX
You know, I always thought "pwning" someone sounded perverted...kind of like Jaco's uncle teaching him about sex... big grin Teaching?

you mean stating a quick fact....Stay on topic buddy, because I will find it pathetic to see A topic about obese people turn out to be about Gay sex. laughing

chillmeistergen
You forgot the dancing banana.

2D_MASTER
Holy crap! Did you just "pwn" me again by not "pwning" me? You're good; I really mean that!

"FYE"...WTF is that?

For Your Entertainment, I made it up me-self. I'm so clever........ Happy Dance

Robtard
For Your Entertainment, I made it up me-self. I'm so clever........ Happy Dance

Tis the reason I call you Scalpel... because you're so "sharp" and "edgy" with your retorts, incase you missed that.

Robtard
Teaching?

you mean stating a quick fact....Stay on topic buddy, because I will find it pathetic to see A topic about obese people turn out to be about Gay sex. laughing

"Taught" has something to do with "teaching" I'm fairly certain, you might whant to check with '2D Master', as he's the "clever" one.

and my uncle Richard taught me about sex......

2D_MASTER
Tis the reason I call you Scalpel... because you're so "sharp" and "edgy" with your retorts, incase you missed that.

sick cry sick cry sick cry sick cry

KidRock
not necessarily.

Not necessarily? So a fat guy that is about to go eat a pizza and post on a message board will, on average, live just as long orlonger then someone who at least watches what he eats and works out regularly?

Ultimate Hulk43
I doubt that is possible & I also doubt that more than half of America will be obese by 2015. I live in Detroit & a lot of people there (mostly kids) exercise by playing sports & right now I'm in Illinois & yesterday while I was walking with my brother, there were a bunch of people who really looked fit that were either running, walking, or riding their bike. I know this is only from two states & cities I've been in but with all the people I see exercising or telling me they work out regularly, I find this hard to believe.

Ultimate Hulk43
Yes you can. If i eat ice cream everyday all day, you can accurately predict that i will get fat. Polls like these are only speculation anyway, but speculation concluded by mathematics and current trends.

That's comparing apples & oranges because you're predicting what happens to you or what will happen to you & that doesn't apply to everyone else because everyone doesn't just eat, eat, & eat. Most people work out. Seriously, no one can predict the future of everyone in America.

Didn't think that one through completely, did you? It's okay. smile

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by KidRock
Not necessarily? So a fat guy that is about to go eat a pizza and post on a message board will, on average, live just as long orlonger then someone who at least watches what he eats and works out regularly? the one who works out has a better chance of living a longer life, but that doesnt mean he will do so.

Schecter
Originally posted by KidRock
Not necessarily? So a fat guy that is about to go eat a pizza and post on a message board will, on average, live just as long orlonger then someone who at least watches what he eats and works out regularly?

if only missing the point was an olympic sport

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>