Independance in Relationships

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kenshinswife
Okay, my mother has given me her theory on why all of my relationships fail. She is trying to convince me that a man wants a woman who depends on him...to be the submissive half basically. In my ears all im hearing is that a man wants a needy woman. Is this true? Now im not the Super Woman type who wants to do everything by herself but, the way i see it if i can do it myself than i dont you need you to do it for me. For example i dont like when my boyfriends open the door for me...car house or any of the above. It just makes me feel uncomfortable..and when i tell her this she says its because "i feel like im not worth it"....what do you think?

JacopeX
Don't we all.

And when I say all, I mean both sexes. Well, what you are now leading to is the whole "What do women want?" question.

Rogue Jedi
thats crap. we just want someone who is loyal and who loves us as we love them. independence can be had in a committed relationship, but some women and men have no sense of loyalty.

BackFire
I want a girl who will go off and do her own thing and then come back and have sex with me, and then go off again, and hang around sometimes.

I don't want some clingy emotionally dependant chick who always wants to be around. I'll get sick of her.

Faceman
Originally posted by BackFire
I want a girl who will go off and do her own thing and then come back and have sex with me, and then go off again, and hang around sometimes.

I don't want some clingy emotionally dependant chick who always wants to be around. I'll get sick of her.

Sounds like you need a prostitute.... laughing

BackFire
I should also mention that I don't want to hand out money for these acts.

Find me a prostitute that will do this for a cotton ball and a napkin and I'll be good.

No, not pvs.

Robtard
Originally posted by Kenshinswife
Okay, my mother has given me her theory on why all of my relationships fail. She is trying to convince me that a man wants a woman who depends on him...to be the submissive half basically. In my ears all im hearing is that a man wants a needy woman. Is this true? Now im not the Super Woman type who wants to do everything by herself but, the way i see it if i can do it myself than i dont you need you to do it for me. For example i dont like when my boyfriends open the door for me...car house or any of the above. It just makes me feel uncomfortable..and when i tell her this she says its because "i feel like im not worth it"....what do you think?

Your mother needs to pull her head out of the 1950's @sshole. Some men do want that, not all. You're also 18, how many ralationships last when you're that age? Not many.

Kinneary
If a woman is clingy and needy, I generally spend as little time around her as possible. Take that for what it's worth.

debbiejo
Okay, my mother has given me her theory on why all of my relationships fail. She is trying to convince me that a man wants a woman who depends on him...to be the submissive half basically. In my ears all im hearing is that a man wants a needy woman. Is this true? Now im not the Super Woman type who wants to do everything by herself but, the way i see it if i can do it myself than i dont you need you to do it for me. For example i dont like when my boyfriends open the door for me...car house or any of the above. It just makes me feel uncomfortable..and when i tell her this she says its because "i feel like im not worth it"....what do you think? Well every relationship is different. It is an older way of thinking that still does work in relationships today if both parties are into it. Sometimes a man wants a women to be dependent because he likes control or needs to feel superior. It could also be an inferiority factor. Other times it just works out to be great. I think most men today, and this is only my opinion, like women that are self sufficient, but loves to wait on their man. Nothing wrong with that, as long as the man also loves to adore his woman. Keeping it exciting, spontaneous, and adventurous can go a long long way, if both are open to it...

I do have to say that I like it when doors are opened for me, I'm not a woman's liber, but I seem to always be in such a hurry saying oh, lets go here and lets go there, that I end up opening the doors myself. I'm kind of a spontaneous person. embarrasment

BTW, this is not an advertisement.......Well unless you have money...and give back rubs...eat

lil bitchiness

I don't think all men want that to be honest. My boyfriend depends on me, far more than I do on him. Its strange, but true.

Bardock42
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
I don't think all men want that to be honest. My boyfriend depends on me, far more than I do on him. Its strange, but true.

Or he wants you to think that.

Nah, I agree. Depends on the guy really.

StyleTime
I'm thinking the fail rate of your relationships has more to do with your age than it does some supposed "need" that every single guy in existance may or may not have.

Kenshinswife

i actually like it when my bf's depend on me. It makes me feel..."important" i guess for lack of a better termanology. Like i have the upper hand or something.
Like for example when we go out to eat or something i always offer to pay first....and i think thats how it should be. my bf shouldnt always have to pay when we go to eat or just go out. Is he the ONLY one eating or enjoying himself...no...so y shouldnt i pay every now and again. I just dont like that "becuz im a lady" crutch. If i give a little and he gives a little it'll go a far way....but my theory leaves me bf-less at the moment sad

dadudemon
i actually like it when my bf's depend on me. It makes me feel..."important" i guess for lack of a better termanology. Like i have the upper hand or something.
Like for example when we go out to eat or something i always offer to pay first....and i think thats how it should be. my bf shouldnt always have to pay when we go to eat or just go out. Is he the ONLY one eating or enjoying himself...no...so y shouldnt i pay every now and again. I just dont like that "becuz im a lady" crutch. If i give a little and he gives a little it'll go a far way....but my theory leaves me bf-less at the moment sad

Your thinking is very modern and logical.

I think differently than you do.

I like to cater to and adore my wife. I try to open the doors and the like for her. Thankfully, my wife does not have to work if she doesn't want to and I think that is the way it should be in a modern America.

Here is a word of caution: The type of man you want may not treat you right. A nice "young man" will take care of all of that without you even offering. You should expect a man to open the door and do kind things like that. On the same token, be aware of a man who seems too nice because he may just want the nasty.

No matter how socially modern this world gets...men have no choice but to owe women a certain revere or respect because we will never carry, bare, and nurse children.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by dadudemon

Here is a word of caution: The type of man you want may not treat you right. A nice "young man" will take care of all of that without you even offering. You should expect a man to open the door and do kind things like that. there is a reason why women tend to date older men, thats because they know how to treat a woman better than a younger guy

man, I could really go off here. but I will bite my tongue.

dadudemon

Creshosk
Each person is different. You can only be vauge and general as to "what men want" or "what women want". What one woman may want might be differant from the one next to her. Same goes with men.

And each person's answer to what they want shouuld generally be complex, as people are complex. There are no easy answers.

Personally though, I'm very open and adaptive. So long as I feel loved and secure in a relationship then I'm happy and would be willing to adapt to what my partner would want. (Their hapiness becomes very important to me) Clear honest communication as to what they want is rather vital to me. My problems in previous relationships were different as well. Tried to give them what they wanted turned out the communication was bad and they didn't understand that I'm adaptive. so they figured I was only one way. The way I thought they wanted. I was not attentive enough in some and too attentive in others.

Ah well, They say there's someone out there for everyone. It's important to be yourself, you'll find someone who understands you. I just have it a bit more difficult due to my adaptive nature.

(yeah I'm currently without)

lil bitchiness
Your thinking is very modern and logical.

I think differently than you do.

I like to cater to and adore my wife. I try to open the doors and the like for her. Thankfully, my wife does not have to work if she doesn't want to and I think that is the way it should be in a modern America.

Here is a word of caution: The type of man you want may not treat you right. A nice "young man" will take care of all of that without you even offering. You should expect a man to open the door and do kind things like that. On the same token, be aware of a man who seems too nice because he may just want the nasty.

No matter how socially modern this world gets...men have no choice but to owe women a certain revere or respect because we will never carry, bare, and nurse children.

True.

However, due to mu qualification, my boyfriend (lets say hypothetically my future husband) is ALWAYS going to earn less than me.

unless he has a huge business of his own, which is the only way he could ever possibly earn more money than I am currently qualified to earn.

That means, that hypothetically, if we are to get married, I would be one going to work, and he would be one staying at home. He knows that, and acknowledges.

Although, I do worry, that sometimes, a guy might get upset if a female earns more than him. At the mo he does not mind, however, I do not see how it will play out in the future.

Rogue Jedi

dadudemon
True.

However, due to mu qualification, my boyfriend (lets say hypothetically my future husband) is ALWAYS going to earn less than me.

unless he has a huge business of his own, which is the only way he could ever possibly earn more money than I am currently qualified to earn.

That means, that hypothetically, if we are to get married, I would be one going to work, and he would be one staying at home. He knows that, and acknowledges.

Although, I do worry, that sometimes, a guy might get upset if a female earns more than him. At the mo he does not mind, however, I do not see how it will play out in the future.

Well, that is just plain awesome that you are that successful...props goes to you. WAY TO GO! cool

The reason I don't want my wife to have to work IF she doesn't want is...

What if she doesn't feel like working anymore all of a sudden? What if she wants another child and needs to take a year or two off or what ever she deems necessary? I feel that a real man should provide well enough to give his wife those options.

When I first started dating my wife, she was self employed and was going to college while raising a son all by herself. Obviously, that was one of the things that was so attractive to me about her.

Later, right before we got married, we discussed her owning her own business so that I could complete medical school and survive, financially, the residency. It didn't work out because I would have to have an awesome job to get the collateral/qualify for the business loan and then it would take up to 5 years for the business to be able to stand on its own so I could do all of medical school. I gave up my dream of becoming an MD and instead pursued a career in IT...and it pays really well and my wife doesn't have to work IF she doesn't want to.

If your dude loves, then he would understand and accomdate you as best as possible. (Hell, I would love it if I didn't have to work so I could go to collge for that MD!!!) You seem smart enough that you would not be with a close minded male chauvinist.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
I am not biting my tongue for your sake. it's out of respect for another members privacy. I agree with everything you said.

Cool bro. No harm done.

Rogue Jedi
Cool bro. No harm done. big grin

blue_ocean
Depends on you and the guy you're dating. In fact, men sometimes want or maybe feel the need to show their civalry to their lovers, and vice versa women also sometimes want to show their boyfriends that they can do numbers of things by themself.
The point is we do need to appreciate others and need others to appreciate us. What you need to make your relationship works, besides loyalty and openess, is take-and-give.
wink good luck

Schecter

Find me a prostitute that will do this for a cotton ball and a napkin and I'll be good.

No, not pvs.

cry

Grodd

No, not pvs.

It's a joke between friends i suspect. No smoke without fire, does this PVS girl pucker up?

Spartan ll
thats crap. we just want someone who is loyal and who loves us as we love them. independence can be had in a committed relationship, but some women and men have no sense of loyalty. QFT^

botankus
For example i dont like when my boyfriends open the door for me...

You're Kenshin's wife and you have a boyfriend? Boyfriends? Talk about going above and beyond!

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Spartan ll
QFT^ QFT?

botankus
Quintessentially F***ing True.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by botankus
Quintessentially F***ing True. I knew that. embarrasment stop making fun of me. stick out tongue

BobbyD
Someone here already said it best, but I'm lazy to go back and check who....

Go after what YOU want, and understand that it may or may not WANT you.

Rogue Jedi
sometimes love just runs its course.

debbiejo
Originally posted by BobbyD
Someone here already said it best, but I'm lazy to go back and check who....

Go after what YOU want, and understand that it may or may not WANT you. Or be good for you.

Devil King
Originally posted by Kinneary
If a woman is clingy and needy, I generally spend as little time around her as possible. Take that for what it's worth.

Bardock42
I knew that. embarrasment stop making fun of me. stick out tongue

Usually it is said to be "Quoted For Truth"...

Rogue Jedi
multiple meanings....meh

Bardock42
multiple meanings....meh

Well, not multiple meanings....multiple words portraying the meaning though it seems.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Bardock42
Well, not multiple meanings....multiple words portraying the meaning though it seems. that too.

Bardock42
that too. No, just that. Not "too". Just that.

Rogue Jedi
No, just that. Not "too". Just that. tambien.

dadudemon
tambien.

teehee...RJ is being a smart ass...

Kenshinswife
Originally posted by botankus
You're Kenshin's wife and you have a boyfriend? Boyfriends? Talk about going above and beyond!

Now its boyfriend-less, i am left to open my own doors stick out tongue

Bardock42
teehee...RJ is being a smart ass...

An ass maybe. Smart not.

tambien.

Nur das!

dadudemon
An ass maybe. Smart not.

Nur das!

german now?

Rogue Jedi
An ass maybe. Smart not.

! but you love my american ass.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.