Imagine the Butchering for DH

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

~LunaLoveG~
This books has some wicked sweet scenes so far if I do say so myself. But what I worry is they will butcher the hell out of this for the movie. the locket scene could be unexistent! OH FREAKIN NO!

your thoughts confused

ALTHOUGH. i must say the relationships of the characters are more possible to be well translated though

ndfreak
all the movie makers seem to care about are making it all emotional and dramatic. they are willing to cut out people and cut out facts as long as they get to make it dramatic and emotional. which is why i don't like the movies.

The Phantom
This movie needs to be cut in two and needs to have Dobby or I'm going on a ****ing rampage.

danielle marie.
I agree with Phantom.

I'm gonna be so mad if they butcher it.

exanda kane
It's going to be hard not to "butcher it", as some say. The film can't pretend it's just a simple adaptation (ala the first two Potter films); it needs to move with pace and with drama. The charm of the previous books usually takes place in the form of the Hogwarts life, the wonders of magic et cetera et cetera. This book does not have that. Expect lots of montage sequences.

Magic in this book is not so much a helpful tool but something that could quite easily stab you in the back, nearly every scene (now the whimsical oddities of the school are removed) is important to the overall plot.

This book will be murdered, but I think it will be a great film.

Joy2dWorld
Well they better not butcher Ron's shining moments or I swear -- I will burn Leavesden Studios down to the ground!!

Rupert Grint is KING!

Lana
Buh. I don't even want to THINK about it yet.

I was pondering last night if Andromeda's appearance is important enough to warrant her appearing in the movie. I doubt it sad

And I disagree hugely on the relationships of the characters being well-translated, as all through the movies it's been made out to seem that it's Harry and Hermione that will get together.

Surreal_44
No they haven't. It's rather obvious that Ron and Hermione have a thing for each other. What they did develop in the film was Harry and Hermione's relationship, thereby making it easier to have Ron be jealous in DH and leave.

Barker
Originally posted by Lana
And I disagree hugely on the relationships of the characters being well-translated, as all through the movies it's been made out to seem that it's Harry and Hermione that will get together.
I only ever got that idea in Philosopher's Stone after the chess match.

exanda kane

Ever since Alfonso Cauron took the reigns with the third, it's been pretty explicit that Ron and Hermione are always the first to comfort each other. JK Rowling said Cauron had gone in places she was going with the books unawares, pretty sure she means that.

jasonowens4200
i have a feeling it will be the longest out of all the movies since its the last one and would have to explain things to the audience cause there are some people that dont read the book why i dont know but i hope its a 3 hour movie

Surreal_44
Harry and Hermione is a relationship that people constantly question in the books too, don't forget. So it's not a real surprise that it translates like that on-screen.

Some people may disagree with me, but I think Harry and Hermione have a special relationship that seems to transcend simple friendship. Harry says he loves her like a sister and she feels the same way, but in a way it goes even beyond that.

No, I'm not talking about romance, but they seem to have a closeness, both in the way they behave around each other and their physicality that is easily misinterperated as romance. This is especially true in DH, when Ron is gone and Harry has those moments with Hermione that speaks volumes of their relationship together, so it will be interesting how they will handle that on-screen.

§P0oONY
I hope they make it a 15, or at least a 12A that borders the 15 age rating.

~LunaLoveG~
Buh. I don't even want to THINK about it yet.

I was pondering last night if Andromeda's appearance is important enough to warrant her appearing in the movie. I doubt it sad

Yeah they do with having hermione hugging harry every time he even gets a paper cut erm but I still think it is brother and sister chemistray. I agree with surreal 44. the relationship between them is needed to build up ron's jelousy he'd eventually have.

The Phantom
Originally posted by ~LunaLoveG~
Yeah they do with having hermione hugging harry every time he even gets a paper cut erm but I still think it is brother and sister chemistray. I agree with surreal 44. the relationship between them is needed to build up ron's jelousy he'd eventually have. More of a mother-son relationship.

Barker

Surreal_44
Oh no...Harry and Hermione do not have a mother/son relationship. stick out tongue That's saved for Mrs. Weasley/Harry. Hermione's role plays into that slightly, but her relationship is not mother/son.

There's a reason people are jealous of the relationship Harry and Hermione have, and it's not because they act like mother and son, or even brother and sister. It's more complex than that. They aren't lovers or romantic, obviously (we've known that since book 4), but there is more touching between them than you see in a typical brother/sister relationship.

There's no real word for it that I can think of at the moment, but I would never put it as mother/son.

But back to the original topic (if we want to discuss Harry and Hermione's non-romantic relationship, should we start a new thread?), DH is going to mutilated, but hopefully not beyond recognition.

I see them squishing quite a few scenes together in order for the whole story to get across, but even if they cut out a whole lot of the book, I still see this being a 3 hour movie.

Scenes I think will get cut are things with Tonks and Lupin, most of Voldemort's search for that one particular item he's so keen to find, and I think Kreacher's scenes will be changed drastically in the film.

#1Rupert_Lover
Originally posted by Joy2dWorld
Well they better not butcher Ron's shining moments or I swear -- I will burn Leavesden Studios down to the ground!!

Rupert Grint is KING!

agreed yes

Strangelove
It's going to be so awful, I'm not sure I'm even going to go see it when it comes out.

#1Rupert_Lover
Well, I'd still see it. I just hope they don't shorten it as much. I liked every part in the book. And I'm pretty sure (And I most certainly hope) they won't take the locket scene out because it's a Horcrux and that's a huge plot in the story.

Some_Black_Guy
Originally posted by ndfreak
all the movie makers seem to care about are making it all emotional and dramatic. they are willing to cut out people and cut out facts as long as they get to make it dramatic and emotional. which is why i don't like the movies.

I totally agree on the cut-out-facts tactics, I haven't even went to see The Order of The Phoenix yet for fear that it has butchered too severely the images my mind had produced when I read the book.

The movies don't seem as near as dramatic as the books though. When I read the books, the intensity and emotion that I experience dwarfs that of the movies. The movies are more watered down so that a family can sit down and watch them together. For example, if they made a Deathly Hallows movie and it was exactly like the book, it would probably rated R, LOL. And that means less money because it excludes an audience/age group.

grey fox
I despise the films , but Deathly Hallows I'd watch JUST for the scene of Hagrid dive-bombing the Death eater.

That was so awesome cool

Surreal_44
I've come to accept that the films will not be like the books in every exact way, and I understand why things have to be cut out. And if you pay close attention during the films, most of the things that were cut out of direct dialogue are explained in more subtle ways.

As for OotP, I found it to be one of the more engaging films. I could really feel Harry's pain and anguish over losing Sirius, and that's a big step for me, because I hated Sirius in the books. I was quite happy when he kicked it, but the movie accomplished what JKR failed to do; establish a relationship between Harry and Sirius, and make Sirius far more sympathetic.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.