Achievements and Gamerscore.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Slay
Everybody can see how many games you've played and how good you are at them, on Xbox Live, and PS3 Home is getting a system like that as well. I had a discussion about it with some of my friends the other day, main question was this: Are Gamerscores important (do you try to get every achievement etc) or are they just a tool for playing a digital game of ''who has the largest penis''?

Victor Von Doom
They're meaningless; though it is a good marketing ploy, as I know lots of people* who buy games just to get the achievements.

*idiots/****s/corporate brainwashed whores.

Kenshinswife
Im kinda on the river and bank with this one....um before i started gettong better on live i only had achievments and stuff done because i didnt have anything better to do to. But as time progressed its become one those "yea, look what im packin" type things. although in the end it really doesnt matter because you can have a low gamerscore (like mine) and still end up whoopin ass on Live...their meanigless numbers when it comes down to pure skill.

Superboy Prime
Achievements can be addictive. In the beginnings you think of them as something stupid, but the more points you are awarded with the more achievements you want to unlock. It's a fact achievements do extend a game's overall replay value.

Smasandian
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
They're meaningless; though it is a good marketing ploy, as I know lots of people* who buy games just to get the achievements.

*idiots/****s/corporate brainwashed whores.

I agree with you on that one.

I dont mind achievement points but I rarely play a game just to get them. I see them as the same thing as trying to get highest score in the old school NES, arcade games.

AstroFan
Im not addicted to the points, but I do get a little happy when one pops up. And when I have a choice between playing a game on 360 compared to the other two systems, i pick 360 for live and achievements.

WrathfulDwarf
Points and Achievements aren't anything new. During the golden age of Arcades there were games that would give you tickets for high scores and all you had to do was to exchange it for a prize at the booth.

It's nothing new....Just makes the kiddies want to spend some more. The Fun factor remains or increases base on your skills.

InnerRise
I could care less about the Achievements.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Morridini
I like them, it's not like I go after doing them, but I like it when one suddenly pops up.

Originally posted by InnerRise
I could care less about the Achievements.

Did you mean that or did you do the typical US spelling mistake?

InnerRise
Originally posted by Morridini
I like them, it's not like I go after doing them, but I like it when one suddenly pops up.

Did you mean that or did you do the typical US spelling mistake? I meant it.
dodgy

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Morridini
Hmm, ok, so if you "could care less", it means that you do care about it.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by AstroFan
Im not addicted to the points, but I do get a little happy when one pops up. And when I have a choice between playing a game on 360 compared to the other two systems, i pick 360 for live and achievements.

Yeah, I've noticed people do that. It is quite fun, when they are properly set out, for actual achievements of gameplay. Not 'Go out of your way to kill 1000000 soldiers', or whatever.

I don't see that they particularly extend the life of a game, at least not artificially anyway. If I'm bored of a game, I'm going to be even more bored getting the 'drive in a circle for an hour' achievement.

Also, they should put that 'could care less' thing in the syllabus of all high school English courses in the US.

Or, people should actually think about the words they say.

BlaxicanHydra
Or maybe they shouldn't care. I hate it when people over analyze stuff like that. It's a figure of speech, get over it.

Anyway I like the Achievements. It makes me want to play the game longer, it's like bonus objectives in a game.

Morridini
But it's not a figure of speech, "I couldn't care less" is a figure of speech, "I could care less" is just bad US grammar.

BlaxicanHydra
Funny, I've seen people from all over the world do it all the time. On a daily basis, actually. I just... ya know, ignore it erm

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by BlaxicanHydra
Funny, I've seen people from all over the world do it all the time. On a daily basis, actually. I just... ya know, ignore it erm

Well, you do what you want, let others do what they want.

It's slightly shaky ground talking about live and let live when you are telling others what to do.

xNIXSONx
i think it really depends on what kind of gamer you are, if you're like hardcore-underground lol then you'd obviously care about gamerscore, it just shows other people that you actually played the game, and played it decent-well depending on what achievements you got

BackFire
Achievements are a fun diversion, sometimes giving enough motivation to go do that little extra thing that I wouldn't normally do.

I agree with VVD though, when they're implimented poorly it's a real drag.

BlaxicanHydra
Like GRAW's

"Host over a thousand games on LIVE"

"Get a career total of 500 headshots", and both of these for only 25 posts.

Kenshinswife
Originally posted by Morridini
But it's not a figure of speech, "I couldn't care less" is a figure of speech, "I could care less" is just bad US grammar.

Well, I.R. is technically right if you wanna get all technical on him. When he said "I could care less" meaning yea he cares but its not all that much of a priority. He doesnt go out buying games just for achievments nor does he completely go out of his way to ignore them. I dont see any "bad US grammar there" just good ole fashion wit. wink

InnerRise
Originally posted by Kenshinswife
Well, I.R. is technically right if you wanna get all technical on him. When he said "I could care less" meaning yea he cares but its not all that much of a priority. He doesnt go out buying games just for achievments nor does he completely go out of his way to ignore them. I dont see any "bad US grammar there" just good ole fashion wit. wink thumbsup

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Victor Von Doom
Stalin's in the house.

BlaxicanHydra
Ya know who else is in in the house?

Carl Weathers. yeah. I said it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.