Fire & Brimstone?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jbill311
What are the arguements for and against a Fire & Brimstone God? (Christian)
EX) All homosexuals will rot in hell.... etc.

Shakyamunison
Why do you ask?

PITT_HAPPENS
Originally posted by Jbill311
What are the arguements for and against a Fire & Brimstone God? (Christian)
EX) All homosexuals will rot in hell.... etc. and...

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by PITT_HAPPENS
and...

So, Pitt, what do you think about fire & Brimstone?

PITT_HAPPENS
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
So, Pitt, what do you think about fire & Brimstone? Great to have a BBQ with, love that smoky flavor wink

Jbill311
I ask because I met a person screaming that point of view by the movie theater and I didn't think I was getting a very good perspective from someone holding a giant white cross.
What I really need is someone who is indoctrinated into the dogma to explain it to me... maybe JIA will come back....
I was laughing really hard by the time I left.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by PITT_HAPPENS
Great to have a BBQ with, love that smoky flavor wink

And volcanoes are really boring without them.

Jbill311, I was raised as a fundamentalist Christian, but now I'm a Buddhist. However, I can try and answer some questions, until JIA get back.

Burning thought
I ask because I met a person screaming that point of view by the movie theater and I didn't think I was getting a very good perspective from someone holding a giant white cross.
What I really need is someone who is indoctrinated into the dogma to explain it to me... maybe JIA will come back....

youll be laughing even more after JIA has finished rolling on floor laughing big grin

Jbill311
well, to begin with, do most churches teach a literal view of the bible?
And If god created man, why did he also say that man (Adam) is also naturally a sinner?

Robtard

Very simple really... sinners go to hell; homosexuality is a sin, therefore, homosexuals go to hell. There is a loophole though, if you accept Jesus as your personal savior then you go to heaven; in fact, that is the ONLY way to get into heaven (Christianity). I would assume in the case of homosexuals, that by accepting Jesus, 'you' in turn denounce homosexuality.

Shakyamunison
well, to begin with, do most churches teach a literal view of the bible?
And If god created man, why did he also say that man (Adam) is also naturally a sinner?

Not all Christians hold to a literal view of the bible.

According to Christan mythology, man was created sinless, but when he eat of the fruit of the tree of good and evil, he became sinful in nature.

Jbill311
Even if we accept his premise that homosexuality is a sin, and that the bible is the word of god, what about adam? He said god gave adam free will, and then adam chose to sin, but then he said that because of that all humans are sinners. What happened to free will. Also- Literal bible? yes or no?

Robtard
Even if we accept his premise that homosexuality is a sin, and that the bible is the word of god, what about adam? He said god gave adam free will, and then adam chose to sin, but then he said that because of that all humans are sinners. What happened to free will. Also- Literal bible? yes or no?

We have free will in either accepting Jesus or not accepting (aka sinning some more)...

Not many choices considering it's "free will" and all, it's either "do it my way, or be tormented for eternity"

Shakyamunison

You have a good point; Adam took away some of my free will.

I don't understand your last two questions: "Literal bible? yes or no?".

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Robtard
We have free will in either accepting Jesus or not accepting (aka sinning some more)...
However, his point is that sense Adam was born sinless and had free will to sin, we should be born sinless and have free will to sin.

Robtard
However, his point is that sense Adam was born sinless and had free will to sin, we should be born sinless and have free will to sin.

That depends... some facets of Christianity do believe we are born "sinless", that is why babies who die, get a automatic ticket to Heaven, though in some facets, only babies who've been baptised get that free ticket, not really "free will" there.

Like I said, the only "free will" we really have when you break down Christianity is the choice to either "accept Jesus" or not/sin. Column A) or Column B).

Jbill311
i asked earlier if most Christians accept a literal interpretation of the bible.

Shakyamunison
i asked earlier if most Christians accept a literal interpretation of the bible.

I think that most Christians do not.

Robtard
Also of note... if God has no bounds, then God is both omnipotent and omniscient. So God already knows which of us will accept Jesus/God and which of us won't, though somehow we have "free will" when our paths have already been laid out for us.

Seems silly, why doesn't God just send those who will not accept/sin directly to Hell the second we're born or before if that is possible, which I assume it is, since nothing is beyond God.

Jbill311
robtard, you hit on one of the fundamental logical impossibilities of the Christian god of smiting.

Shakyamunison
Also of note... if God has no bounds, then God is both omnipotent and omniscient. So God already knows which of us will accept Jesus/God and which of us won't, though somehow we have "free will" when our paths have already been laid out for us.

Seems silly, why doesn't God just send those who will not accept/sin directly to Hell the second we're born or before if that is possible, which I assume it is, since nothing is beyond God.

Do you want to know the simple answer?

Robtard
robtard, you hit on one of the fundamental logical impossibilities of the Christian god of smiting.

Christian God/Jesus isn't a smiter per se, he's the loving God who really just wants you to obey and choose the right path, regardless of the "logic" or lack there of behind it.

The God of the OT is the smiter-god, that God burned Sodom, turned Lot's wife to salt, cursed Cain and flooded the Earth.

inimalist

does religion offer any other type?

Robtard

I wasn't asking a question as it can't logically be answered; I assume the best answer we can hope for is "God works in mysterious ways/have faith!"

Shakyamunison
I wasn't asking a question as it can't logically be answered; I assume the best answer we can hope for is "God works in mysterious ways/have faith!"

Kind of along the same line: Christian mythology does not understand God.

I know you were not asking, but I was dieing to tell. laughing out loud

PITT_HAPPENS
I wasn't asking a question as it can't logically be answered; I assume the best answer we can hope for is "God works in mysterious ways/have faith!" I meet Faith once, really a mean girl and took my milk money. wink

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.