Recomended Starting Points for a DC newcomer.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

kai3345
I have been a Marvel reader, all my life. But my few freinds who read comics, most say DC is the better choice. But when I try to read DC, none of it really intrests me. But then came Infinite Crisis, 52, Countdown, Planet Crisis- and I thought "Hey that looks pretty cool" But I didnt want to be confused going into those books, so what would be a good starting point to be able to read those without bieng confused, or just a good starting point to get me intrested in DC.

DigiMark007
Ack.

Um.

Go read "Crisis on Infinite Earths" first off. Then "Infinite Crisis"...and it actually couldn't hurt to pick up Countdown...the issues so far have a "History of the Multiverse" that's rather helpful for understanding everything that's happened in recent events, and also catalogues the history of DC relatively well.

That should get you up to speed on everything as quickly as possible, without having to invest in numerous titles.

Beyond that, whatever interests you. JLA, JSA, Titans, Outsiders, Legion, Flash, GLC, Bats, Supes, etc.

Mider999
im insane so DO NOT FOLLOW MY EXAMPLE if you wanna save money but i bought the following

crisis on infinite earths-the multiverse is in danger from the anti monitor

emerald dawn one and two and new dawn-basically how hal jordon became parallax

power of ion-how kyle rayner got parallax powers and got even stronger

day of judgement-power of the spectre is stolen and used for evil

genesis-darkseid is trying to get the godwave

genesis 2-i think the same as above

jla/avengers-krona is a gaurdian of the universe who is destroying universes the JLA and Avengers have to team up to stop him cause he does something to get a rift between the dimensions i think or im not very sure

ecilpso darkness within plus his 18 issue series they say this guy's 100
evil so yeah i wanted to read up on him-its about eclipso his origin and him just being a pshcho

i bought most of the new god comics fourth world etc but i only did this so i could see darkseid woop some butt im missing three fourth world comics and one issue from the third series of new gods GAH but yeah i also bought orion

great darkness saga-darkseid is after the anti life equation in a big way

i also bought cosmic odessey-dont really know what this is about but its about the new gods

ganthet's tail-i think this is how ganthet found kyle rayner

Green Lantern Rebirth-hal jordan is redeemed and returnes

final night-a sun eater tries to eat earths sun

DC one million plus the one shots-a million years in the future superman has a dynesty he himself has become extremly powerful there are many versions of the heros but one million years in the future thus very very diffrent

almost all deathstroke comics-basically the adventures of one of DC's or perhaps DC's greatest assassin deathstroke the terminator.

DigiMark007
Yeah, don't listen to Mider.

stick out tongue

...most of what he mentions are good reads, but it's not exactly an efficient way to get caught up on the DCU.

endrict
or Digi...

Juntai
Crisis on Infinite Earths for history.

Infinite Crisis, 52, and Countdown to see where the DCU is currently at and where it's headed.

Simple as that.

There's a lot of other well written series, arcs, etc, but those will plunge you into the universe itself to get a feel for what's going on.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Juntai
Crisis on Infinite Earths for history.

Infinite Crisis, 52, and Countdown to see where the DCU is currently at and where it's headed.

Simple as that.

There's a lot of other well written series, arcs, etc, but those will plunge you into the universe itself to get a feel for what's going on.

In other words, listen to Digi.

wink

Endless Mike
Try Zero Hour

llagrok
I suppose you should read Kingdom Come and The Kingdom for kicks, they're good.

Tyrant
Not Wonder Woman for starters, or ever for that matter...

Batman tells good history on DC, multiverse, etc...
Identity Crisis if you need more history...
shifty

Darth Vicious
I think the 1st "Crisis" should be your starting point. With so many different versions of the same character in DC a non DC person can get lost.

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Try any Batman title, especially Batman; The Killing Joke or Batman:Hush or Batman: The Long Halloween. zero Hour and Countdown are good. Any Green Lantern or Wonder Woman story are good.

Tyrant
Originally posted by DARKLORDCAEDUS
Wonder Woman story are good. You lost me at "good".

Merlyn
For 2 very enjoyable reads, I'd look into.. "The Great Darkness Saga", and "Kingdom Come"...

Those are two stories that you can thoroughly enjoy, without ever having read any previous DC comics, imo. smile

kai3345
Originally posted by DARKLORDCAEDUS
Try any Batman title, especially Batman; The Killing Joke or Batman:Hush or Batman: The Long Halloween. zero Hour and Countdown are good. Any Green Lantern or Wonder Woman story are good.

Yeah I read Hush and It was awsome, but I tried reading more Batman and it just didnt intrest me.

Validus
Action Comics #1

willRules
Originally posted by kai3345
Yeah I read Hush and It was awsome, but I tried reading more Batman and it just didnt intrest me.

Hush is probably my favourite Batman story yes

I enjoyed Under the Hood and some of War games (Although I thought War games got worse as it went on.)

Goddess Kali
Spectre is the only series I ever really enjoyed from DC, and Lucifer from Vertigo.

Nothing else interests me that much

tjcoady
if you've never read anything but marvel, try out some of the vertigo stuff too.

try Moore's "Swamp Thing" or Gaiman's "Sandman." Milligan's "Shade, the Changing Man" is just amazing also. Those three are are a good start to the vertigo universe.

pr1983
Originally posted by Validus
Action Comics #1

laughing out loud

for Superman, 'Wrath of Gog' i think it's called is good... 'up, up and away' is also good...

death of superman is also a good read...

Tyrant
New Fun: The Big Comic Magazine #1

Astner
Action Comics #1
Just make sure you don't get one of those reprints wink

Just kidding, here is a link though, if you want to read it.
http://xroads.virginia.edu/~UG02/yeung/actioncomics/cover.html

Validus
Are you going to post the other 851 issues for him? stick out tongue

Skeets
Are you going to post the other 851 issues for him? stick out tongue
That tongue smiley is......

Supermanluv
I have been a Marvel reader, all my life. But my few freinds who read comics, most say DC is the better choice. But when I try to read DC, none of it really intrests me. But then came Infinite Crisis, 52, Countdown, Planet Crisis- and I thought "Hey that looks pretty cool" But I didnt want to be confused going into those books, so what would be a good starting point to be able to read those without bieng confused, or just a good starting point to get me intrested in DC.

For Superman read Mark Waids Birthright, its a really good origin of Superman and is a LOT more linked to current Continuity than John Brynes Man of Steel stories, although i do recommend reading some of them to get back round info on characters such as Draksied, Bizaro, Lex Luthor and co.

I REALLY, REALLY recommend Grant Morison's run on J.L.A., that starts with New World order and finishes with the original World War three. This will allow you to get to grips with the 'big seven', who you have probably seen on the J.L.A. and JLU cartoons. I also recommend Mark Waids JLA tower of Babbel, where you begin to see the paranoia of Bruce Wayne AKA Batman, which is intrinsic to the most recent Crisis. I also recommend Terror Incognito (The 1st D.C. trade i ever bought) which gives you a great perspective of how powerful the league really is. Other trades i recommend include Joe Kelly's 'Trial by Fire' which gives you a LOT of info on the Martian Man hunters mythos.

Once you've read these J.L.A. books i would recommend reading some of the individual titles such as Geoff Johns and Mark Waids run on the Flash and Joseph Loebs initial run on Batman and Superman. I also recommend Loebs run on Batman, that includes Hush and the Long Halloween. For Tomorrow is a Very popular Superman book as well.

After you got to grips with the more mainstream D.C. characters, try and get hold of Geoff Johns run on the J.S.A., which was written just after Waids on the J.L.A. Although this follows some of D.C. more obscure characters, the stories is truly sublime through out. If you can find them id also pick up Geoff Johns Teen titans material, where you'll see characters seen on the other cartoons series.

After you have ALOT of back round knowledge, I EXTREMELY recommend picking up these FOUR BOOKS, that are generally regarded as the greatest D.C. stories ever written.

The Original Crisis (Crisis of Infinite Worlds), written by Marv Wolf man
The Dark Knight Returns, Written by Frank Miller,
The follow up, the Dark Knight Strikes again (see above)
KingDome Come, written by Mark Waid.

Although most of these are written in parallel universes, they are highly acclaimed as being some of the greatest pieces of comic literature ever written. With the back round knowledge accumulated by the books previously mentioned (And maybe a little help from wiki on the way) you'll really have no problem following them, and I'll guarantee you'll be hooked on D.C. Other critically acclaimed D.C. works include Batman year One (Written by Frank Miller), and Alan Moore's stories of D.C.

After reading these your 'ready' for Identity Crisis written by Brad Metzler and Green Lantern Rebirth (Written by Geoff Johns).

After Reading these you'll have Good idea about whats going on in the 'middle' crisis, and you can begin Reading the preludes, and the companions. These include the actual prelude (telling the death of Ted kord AKA blue beetle), the Om ac Project written by Greg Rucka, Day of Vengeance, The Rann Thanagar War (Dave Gibbons) and Villains United, and Superman; Sacrifice. After reading these you can fully enjoy the Actual Infinite Crisis, written again by Geoff Johns, and then 52 (Written once again by Geoff Johns, Mark Waid and Grant Morison. If you haven't noticed already, these names are reoccurring ALOT).

You can then begin to enjoy the One Year Later books, that include Kurt Brusieks Up, Up and Away Superman trade, and Camelot Falls. Id ALso recommend the New J.S.A and Green Lantern trades both written by Geoff Johns, and the new J.L.A. written by Brad Metzler. Id also recommend the Justice trades drawn by the great Alex Ross and All-star Superman written by Grant Morison. Both of which are set in parallel universes. After reading all this I'm sure you'll be as much of a D.C. fan boy as myself. You should though try and read these comics in the order provided to get the full enjoyment of what truly is the BETTER comic universe. P.S. pretty much everything mentioned above can be bought/collected in trade paper back

big grin

WrathfulDwarf

No doubt you're well acquainted with Supes and Bats. Check out Lobo and Green Lantern. Read Jack Kirby's Fourth World paperbacks. If you want to be current on what's happening check out Countdown.

There is a ton of to read from DC. Make your time and have fun.

Ranger Smith
Byrnes reboot "Man of Steel" is a good place to start.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.