Children at adult functions

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Zahria
I went to a cookout recently where there was drinking and some things going on inappropriate for kids. I actually saw small children (two and three years old) running around without a parent in site.

How do you feel about children attending adult functions? And how would you handle it?

TheBullDog
As long as the children can handle the nudity and drunken debauchery, I'm down with it.

Zahria
Originally posted by TheBullDog
As long as the children can handle the nudity and drunken debauchery, I'm down with it.

LOLOL!!!! laughing

Bardock42
Originally posted by Zahria
I went to a cookout recently where there was drinking and some things going on inappropriate for kids. I actually saw small children (two and three years old) running around without a parent in site.

How do you feel about children attending adult functions? And how would you handle it? I am fine with it.

Did the children drink?

ragesRemorse
im not sure that a cookout is exactly an adult function. Children hear worse form their classmates at school. On second though, i think the government should install camera's in everyones homes just to make sure that Parents are not having an "adult function".

mr whitefolk
I'm usually too drunk at parties to watch my kids so I sympathize with the parents.

Zahria
Originally posted by Bardock42
I am fine with it.

Did the children drink?

Well I'd hope not....but while the parents are drinking children are running around getting into who knows what, listening to inappropriate music and seeing bad behaviors. You got things just for kids, things for kids and adults. When it comes to drinking you know how irresponsible people can get. I know it's the responsibility of the person giving the party or whatever to tell people they'll be drinking and kids won't be there.

mr whitefolk
You make it sound like children watching adults drink will have a negative effect on them. Also, wtf is this about "parents are drinking children"????

Creshosk
Could be worse:

http://www.funnyhub.com/pictures/pages/adult-world-sign.html
http://www.funnyhub.com/pictures/img/adult-world-sign.jpg

Zahria
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
im not sure that a cookout is exactly an adult function. Children hear worse form their classmates at school. On second though, i think the government should install camera's in everyones homes just to make sure that Parents are not having an "adult function".

I'd say maybe not an "adult" function if there's no drinking going on. Maybe it's just me but when theirs drinking people seem to pay less attention to kids. You have people driving in and out (and everybody doesn't have a desinated driver). People doing things that maybe kids shouldn't watch. When it comes to drinking "some people" lose their inhabitions and do whatever.

mr whitefolk
Zahria, seriously, are you the morality police? Most people can't even take care of themselves much less then the offspring satan allowed them to spawn.

Zahria
I guess what i'm saying is some things you can take children to and somethings you may not want to.

I know there are some people who drink and actually smoke dope with their children so they wouldn't mind taking them....

Then there are some who don't drink around their kids and don't want them around people that do.

I was just getting some oppinions on what some of yall thought?

Zahria
Originally posted by mr whitefolk
Zahria, seriously, are you the morality police? Most people can't even take care of themselves much less then the offspring satan allowed them to spawn.

Like I said, just getting some oppinions. I am nobodys morality police.

debbiejo

How do you feel about children attending adult functions? And how would you handle it? Keep your freekin eye on your kids, or at least have others be aware of looking out for them. At most of the funtions I've been to it's an unspoken agreement that everyone looks out for everyone elses kids.

Zahria
Originally posted by debbiejo
Keep your freeken eye on your kids, or at least have other be aware of looking out for them. At most of the funtions I've been to it's an unspoken agreement that everyone looks out for everyones kids.

That would be different if there were someone just to watch kids. LOL, I wouldn't want to do it.
My things was we were in a very open yard with a lot of people, maybe 100 or so. There were a few small kids running around not being supervised. One almost drank from an open can of beer someone had sat down, one was almost run over by a someone who obviously started drinking before they got there. These were not big kids either. Like I said they were two and three years old. One of the kids grandfathers was found past out drunk under a tree. Why he brought the child nobody knows.

Jesus4Life
Shelter the young from sin. It will guide you in the way.

Bardock42
Well I'd hope not....but while the parents are drinking children are running around getting into who knows what, listening to inappropriate music and seeing bad behaviors. You got things just for kids, things for kids and adults. When it comes to drinking you know how irresponsible people can get. I know it's the responsibility of the person giving the party or whatever to tell people they'll be drinking and kids won't be there. You have to realize it is "inappropriate" to you. The parents apparently don't think so. And they are the ones to judge.

debbiejo
That would be different if there were someone just to watch kids. LOL, I wouldn't want to do it.
My things was we were in a very open yard with a lot of people, maybe 100 or so. There were a few small kids running around not being supervised. One almost drank from an open can of beer someone had sat down, one was almost run over by a someone who obviously started drinking before they got there. These were not big kids either. Like I said they were two and three years old. One of the kids grandfathers was found past out drunk under a tree. Why he brought the child nobody knows. If there isn't supervision for them, then they should be left at home. Really now, adult activities are for adults aren't they?

Zahria
You have to realize it is "inappropriate" to you. The parents apparently don't think so. And they are the ones to judge.

That's true. I can agree with that but it's also dangerous. Kids could be hurt or anything. There was even a situation at a party that I didn't attend where a 13 year old was molested. The parents are the ones to judge but then when something happens. Who is at fault. The person giving the party, etc or the parent???

Bardock42
That's true. I can agree with that but it's also dangerous. Kids could be hurt or anything. There was even a situation at a party that I didn't attend where a 13 year old was molested. The parents are the ones to judge but then when something happens. Who is at fault. The person giving the party, etc or the parent???

I-i would figure the person that molested the child.

But that's me, you know...getting it with logic.

Zahria
Originally posted by debbiejo
If there isn't supervision for them, then they should be left at home. Really now, adult activities are for adults aren't they?

Yep, I feel ya. Believe this or not I went to a fun party more than once where people brought kids, lol. Now I don't if everybody knows what a "fun party" is but anyway.... The parents had to be asked to take the children somewhere else or they'd put them in a room to watch a movie and hoped they wouldn't be coming out.

Zahria
I-i would figure the person that molested the child.

But that's me, you know...getting it with logic.

Well of coarse in that case. I mean like if a child gets ahold of an alcoholic drink or gets hurt some kind of way? And this is if a parent was told that it was an adult thing but they brought kids anyway. Now you got parents who will watch their kids. Then you got some who forgot they brought them, LOLOL.

PITT_HAPPENS

Zahria

Zahria
It's been interesting. I'll be back later.......

I'm out!!

Fishy
Right...

So anyways it's the parents responsibility to take care of the child, if they fail to do that then they suck as parents. Whether they would take them to a party or not would probably not make that much of a difference because they suck anyway.

So if the parents think they can take care of the child at a party then bring the damned child and just ignore all the other guests who ****ing hate children.

Actually come to think of it, there should be a law against taking children to party's, children suck.

chillmeistergen
Well I'd hope not....but while the parents are drinking children are running around getting into who knows what, listening to inappropriate music and seeing bad behaviors. You got things just for kids, things for kids and adults. When it comes to drinking you know how irresponsible people can get. I know it's the responsibility of the person giving the party or whatever to tell people they'll be drinking and kids won't be there.

Listening to inappropriate music? What kind of music is inappropriate? You're quite blatantly a far right jeb.

Zahria
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
Listening to inappropriate music? What kind of music is inappropriate? You're quite blatantly a far right jeb.

Ok maybe music with suggestive language, cursing, etc. would not be inappropriate music for some. It's almost funny to me that some people would think that things for adults would be ok for children. I know what I would agree with someone else may nothing wrong with. But there are "some" things that children just shouldn't attend. While it is my oppinion that children shouldn't be in situations where alcohol is involved and there are mainly adults it's just my oppinion.

ragesRemorse

Zahria
Originally posted by Fishy
Right...

So anyways it's the parents responsibility to take care of the child, if they fail to do that then they suck as parents. Whether they would take them to a party or not would probably not make that much of a difference because they suck anyway.

So if the parents think they can take care of the child at a party then bring the damned child and just ignore all the other guests who ****ing hate children.

Actually come to think of it, there should be a law against taking children to party's, children suck.

And when they bring their kids and the parent gets drunk, then that leaves other people having to watch out for this child or children.

chillmeistergen
Ok maybe music with suggestive language, cursing, etc. would not be inappropriate music for some. It's almost funny to me that some people would think that things for adults would be ok for children. I know what I would agree with someone else may nothing wrong with. But there are "some" things that children just shouldn't attend. While it is my oppinion that children shouldn't be in situations where alcohol is involved and there are mainly adults it's just my oppinion.

Right, thanks for your 'oppinion'. Please tell me, what exactly is wrong with children being in an environment where there are adults drinking? They're not drinking the alcohol, their parents are, does this mean parents shouldn't drink at home when their children are in the same house?

Zahria
Right, thanks for your 'oppinion'. Please tell me, what exactly is wrong with children being in an environment where there are adults drinking? They're not drinking the alcohol, their parents are, does this mean parents shouldn't drink at home when their children are in the same house?

If a person drinks at home with there kids there, that's their business. But when you bring them out to an environment where most everyone will be drinking and they know they will be drinking to, how can you be a responsible parent? You're ability to be a responsible parent is impaired.

Let me ask this..... Why would you want to bring your kids in an environment where there's drinking? There are so many other "kid friendly" functions to take them.

I've been to parties where it was ok to bring my daughter who is 7, there was no drinking. But I have also been to parties where it wouldn't be right to bring her. There's nothing wrong with drinking far as I'm concerned but if you know you're gonna be drinking and they'll be a lot of drinking going on ya just wouldn't want them there.

chillmeistergen
Who says you can't still be a responsible parent when you've had a couple of drinks? If you shelter children from everything that can be negative, sometimes, they're going to need a lot of sheltering. Fine, if it's a proper party with people throwing up n all that, but not if it's just say a barbecue, that's bloody ridiculous. If children do not see that adults can and do behave responsibly after drinking alcohol, they either won't attend similar parties in later life, or, go the other way and feel they need to act irresponsibly when drinking. But then you think music should be kept from children as well.

Zahria
Who says you can't still be a responsible parent when you've had a couple of drinks? If you shelter children from everything that can be negative, sometimes, they're going to need a lot of sheltering. Fine, if it's a proper party with people throwing up n all that, but not if it's just say a barbecue, that's bloody ridiculous. If children do not see that adults can and do behave responsibly after drinking alcohol, they either won't attend similar parties in later life, or, go the other way and feel they need to act irresponsibly when drinking. But then you think music should be kept from children as well.

This day and time you can't keep anything from children, lol. I just don't believe in introducing it to them myself as a mother. I don't let my daughter listen to vulgar rap. But I know she could hear it at someone elses house, or someplace else. I may have had a glass of wine with her around but nothing more. I'm always afraid I'll have to much and something will happen and I'll be to impaired to make the right decisions.
Now I also have a 16 and 17 year old (but I've been told I don't look old enough to have kids that old, lol , just thought I'd add that) that I know listen to that music when they're not in the house. They know I hate it and won't play it in the house. But I'm not going to let them listen to "crap" around me.

Yuna_And_Tidus

How do you feel about children attending adult functions? And how would you handle it?
Well a couple things about what you said.
A.) If they're 2 and 3, yes it's irresponsible for a parent/guardian not to be in sight BUT since they are so young, being at an adult function will mean no difference to them, they want toys. If it's a drug filled environment or dangerous or something, that's different.

B.) Sometimes it's not possible to get someone to watch over those kids so they HAVE to bring them to the function, they have no choice.

ADarksideJedi

These days I don't think parents really care abot where they drag there kids.I would if I was a parent.It may be life but do we really want our children dispose of stuff that goes on that is something we can control?
I know I would not .jm smile

Zahria
Originally posted by Yuna_And_Tidus
Well a couple things about what you said.
A.) If they're 2 and 3, yes it's irresponsible for a parent/guardian not to be in sight BUT since they are so young, being at an adult function will mean no difference to them, they want toys. If it's a drug filled environment or dangerous or something, that's different.

B.) Sometimes it's not possible to get someone to watch over those kids so they HAVE to bring them to the function, they have no choice.

I guess everybody has there own idea of what's good and not good for kids.....

Maybe if a babysitter couldn't be found, it'd be a good idea to go to a movie or Chucky Cheese or something..... embarrasment .

Zahria
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
These days I don't think parents really care abot where they drag there kids.I would if I was a parent.It may be life but do we really want our children dispose of stuff that goes on that is something we can control?
I know I would not .jm smile

I agree...

Shelbert Lemon
It depends on the function and the maturity level of the child. The parent knows best (in most situations).

Creshosk
The function of the child?

Shelbert Lemon
Originally posted by Creshosk
The function of the child? messed huh?

No, the adult function the child is going to attend. stick out tongue

Creshosk
Originally posted by Shelbert Lemon
messed huh?

No, the adult function the child is going to attend. stick out tongue Sorry.. that was .. bad of me not to pick up on that... >.<

laughing out loudembarrasment

Shelbert Lemon
Sorry.. that was .. bad of me not to pick up on that... >.<

laughing out loudembarrasment No, not bad.. smile worthy. happy

Creshosk
Originally posted by Shelbert Lemon
No, not bad.. smile worthy. happy Well that's good. The first thing I thought of when I misunderstood was little robot children.

Shelbert Lemon
Well that's good. The first thing I thought of when I misunderstood was little robot children. Complete with an on/off switch?

Zahria
Now yall have taken this to another level, LOLOL laughing

Devil King

I agree with you. First, I think it's irresponsible for adults to maintain some sort of active social life after kids have come into the picture. It's clear in this case that the "adults" you mentioned are totally unprepared for children. They clearly were not told that once you have children, life is supposed to suck for you until they graduate college. Secondly, no adult function is complete without a concentration camp-esque children's table, where these so-called "little human beings" can be monitored for the slightest amount of personality, where they can be watched to make sure they don't develop social skills or learn life lessons. As far as I'm concerned, they should be kept in nourishing jelly sacks until the age of 18.

Oh, and if you have such issues with these people and their neglect of children, don't go to their cook outs anymore.

Creshosk
Originally posted by Devil King
I agree with you. First, I think it's irresponsible for adults to maintain some sort of active social life after kids have come into the picture. It's clear in this case that the "adults" you mentioned are totally unprepared for children. They clearly were not told that once you have children, life is supposed to suck for you until they graduate college. Secondly, no adult function is complete without a concentration camp-esque children's table, where these so-called "little human beings" can be monitored for the slightest amount of personality, where they can be watched to make sure they don't develop social skills or learn life lessons. As far as I'm concerned, they should be kept in nourishing jelly sacks until the age of 18.

Oh, and if you have such issues with these people and their neglect of children, don't go to their cook outs anymore. Its actually possible to still have a social life when you have kids, it just needs to be more child centric. Babysitters for attending the adult functions other wise hanging out with friends who also have kids so the kids canplay together. there are some things you'd have to give up. but life doesn't need to suck so long as you can adapt.

Devil King
but life doesn't need to suck so long as you can adapt.

Really? I never would have thought it possible.

Zahria

Oh, and if you have such issues with these people and their neglect of children, don't go to their cook outs anymore.

Yeah, whatever.... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Devil King
Yeah, whatever.... roll eyes (sarcastic)

That was going to be my original post in this thread...but I went with sarcasm instead.

Creshosk
Really? I never would have thought it possible. No, seriously. For taking their life away from them adults get to lie to people who will believe them. Certain traditions are steeped in lying to little kids.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.