"There are no atheists in foxholes!"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Quiero Mota
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheists_in_foxholes

What do you think? I think this would apply to most people....with the exception of extreme cases like Richard Dawkins. laughing out loud

Boris
Maybe for some. I'd imagine these people would be people who once had a strong belief, became an atheist, then something happened in which they'd usually turn to God or something and felt alone maybe.

I've had tons of family die and I've nearly been killed a few times too, didn't look to a non existent God to help.

There is nothing really attractive about Atheism, you just look for the truth, and it is hard for some to grasp the fact that when you die there is nothing, there is no God who hears your prayers, people you hate will not go to hell, the Bible/Qur'an/Tanakh was wrote by men and is a bunch of fairy tales etc...

I think the majority of atheists are happy and content in their lives, and see the futility in praying or whatever in times of stress/fear.

Though I don't know about Atheistic Foxes.... hmmmm...

DigiMark007
If that's the case when they're at war, their beliefs are probably more Agnostic than Atheist.

I'd probably be stressed or scared in such trying situations, but it wouldn't make me pray to a God I don't believe in, nor see any good reason to.

...and for the record, I have no problem with prayer. It's about making yourself mindful, aware, thankful, or whatever else...and it can be healthy to do those things for anyone. But you certainly don't have to be on your knees, with folded hands praying to God, to do so.

DigiMark007
I think another problem is that many people who leave religion have a "falling out" that is more spiritual and/or emotional. They can't feel God in their lives. Others leave for purely intellectual reasons. I've met and known both kinds of atheists (I would fall primarily into the latter), and it's probably the first group that would be more inclined to find their faith again in times of duress.

When I tell people I'm atheist (my family is Christian) most assume that the falling out happened. They want to know "what happened?" Nothing "happened"...it was just an accumulation of information that eventually made it impossible for me to believe what I once did.

So I realize that my case study isn't a valid statistical analysis, but it seems like there are more errant religious people from the first category than the second, which would lead to the statement in the thread's title.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Quiero Mota

What do you think? I think this would apply to most people....with the exception of extreme cases like Richard Dawkins. laughing out loud

I think it is utter nonsense and extremely offensive.

debbiejo
Tell ya what, if I found myself in a situation, I'd be praying to everything and everybody. Maybe if I prayed to the wrong thing, the right thing might catch wind of it and help me. eek! laughing out loud

Save my assssssssssssssssssssssss! I'll be a good girl, I promise. crybaby

inimalist

DigiMark007
thumb up

I think that's the first time I've been in agreement with a military leader in months, if not years.

Goddess Kali
I always catch myself praying to God, "incase he exists" in the event where someone I love is in trouble, and there is nothing I can do to help them.

Or when I drop off a relative to an area I am unfamiliar with, and plan to pick them up later. Since I cannot be there, I hope if God does exist, he will protect them.

I have many reasons as to why I do not beleive God exist, and even more so I am definately 100% convinced that Heaven and Hell don't exist.

However, if there is some God, or whatever, I don't want this wrathful being to take out anything on my loved ones. If he/it wants to punish me for not beleiving, then punish me alone, but my family who DO beleive in God should still be protected and rewarded.

Point is, I see no harm in praying. If there is a God then he or she will hear me out and protect those I love. If there is no God, then I was simply talking to myself, and no harm will come from it.

Jim Reaper
I can't reference this because i can't remember the source, but i read that a number of vietnam vets loss their faith as a result of the atrocities they witnessed during war.
I was shelled in Iraq lots of times and i certainly did not find religion.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Jim Reaper
I can't reference this because i can't remember the source, but i read that a number of vietnam vets loss their faith as a result of the atrocities they witnessed during war.
I was shelled in Iraq lots of times and i certainly did not find religion. I mean, that kinda makes just as much sense as gaining it because of that...

None that would be

Adam_PoE
"There are no atheists in foxholes!"

I think that it is less an argument against atheists, then it is an argument agains foxholes.

lord xyz

What do you think? I think this would apply to most people....with the exception of extreme cases like Richard Dawkins. laughing out loud Well, when you're scared shitless, you would try whatever retarded theory just to be safe, even if you don't believe it, you would to be safe.

Magee
Why would some one start praying to a God they don't beleive exists though, it doesn't make sense to me. If you are one of those people who would start praying then clearly you are not an atheist, I would call such people cowards.

Jbill311
The idea is that all humans are born believing in god, usually whichever god the observer believes in, so that when put into a life threatening situation, their quarrel with god is put aside and they count on god to get them out of it.

leonheartmm
its very simlpe. given that you ARE in a situation where you have NO1 and nuthing seperates/cares/protects you from an eternal death. FEAR would drive many people to try and grab a hold of the closest reality they know which according to its attributes WOULD help them.

i thought this was understood. fear is one of the major{if not THE major} founding and driving force of people's belief in dogmatic relegions. i wouldnt call them cowards at all. its only human. just like if a fundamentalist's kid's were about to be murdered according to the law of the old testament and the death punishment it perscribes for speaking against your parents{talmut}.

reguardless of the situation, before a kid is beheaded, a parent {most} would say **** THE LAW I DONT BELEIVE IN THIS SHIT and run and try to prtect their children.

it can not be used as a scornful/sarcastic opposition to atheistic inclinations any more than fear of death could be used as a test for TRUE faith of a beleiver.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
I think that it is less an argument against atheists, then it is an argument agains foxholes.

- James Morrow

jollyjim311
Completely ignorant.

People only start to believe in God when their lives are threatened, their friends are threatened, their family, they are skydiving, taking painful shits or what have you. At none of these times does anyone "feel" God, they hope.

Also, it completely ignores the opposite. Many faithful individuals, after going through high stress cease to believe in their previous beliefs. You can read all about it in "Night" by Ellie Weisel. A book everyone should read about the struggles of a boy who spent some time in Auschwitz.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.