Dope 'causes schizophrenia'?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bicnarok
I heard on the news today that "new evidence emerged that the drug (cannabis) could more than double the risk of psychotic illnesses such as schizophrenia. "

Could this be just a scare tactic to stop people taking it, schizophrenic people may be actually right about things, and that cannabis heightens their senses in some waysmile

What do you lot think, ?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007340723,00.html

Magee
Here is what they mean by evidence. A percentage of schizo patients had smoked cannabis at some point in there life so they think its only logical it causes it. There is no truth or evidence only people saying "yea weed made me crazy or caused depression". Its not the the drug thats the problem its the people who smoke it. Only a few weeks ago they were saying skunk is 20 times more potent than it was a decade ago. Now they realise how stupid that is and have brought it down to 6, the government and the media are just trying to scare younger kids and susceptible minds with scary words like schizophrenia.

FistOfThe North
How's that for fcukin' governmental population control. Those airplanes hijacked in the 9/11 plot should've rammed into both the White House and Capitol Hill. With every executive member in both buildings. Now there's something for the media to take home to mom.

That ought'a fix their scare tactics..

ADarksideJedi
Originally posted by Bicnarok
I heard on the news today that "new evidence emerged that the drug (cannabis) could more than double the risk of psychotic illnesses such as schizophrenia. "

Could this be just a scare tactic to stop people taking it, schizophrenic people may be actually right about things, and that cannabis heightens their senses in some waysmile

What do you lot think, ?

I w ould say that it would.I mean it messes up your brain anyway.And I had heard some people say that you start seeing things.According to the movie "The Wall" That Pink Floyd man saw alot of strange things.So I think I will yes to th is.jm smile

Schecter
Originally posted by Magee
Here is what they mean by evidence. A percentage of schizo patients had smoked cannabis at some point in there life so they think its only logical it causes it. There is no truth or evidence only people saying "yea weed made me crazy or caused depression". Its not the the drug thats the problem its the people who smoke it. Only a few weeks ago they were saying skunk is 20 times more potent than it was a decade ago. Now they realise how stupid that is and have brought it down to 6, the government and the media are just trying to scare younger kids and susceptible minds with scary words like schizophrenia.

while you are correct, consider that this article is from a celebrity gossip tabloid and not even worth the effort of debunking. just my take on it.
*smokes joint* *hears voices asking "why does this stupid thread exist?" *

Bardock42
Most drugs are dangerous to you in one way or another. I am not sure how true that article is, but ... what does it matter?

exanda kane
I thought that has been confirmed a "fact" a while back. Just smoke in consideration to ya health.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Bardock42
Most drugs are dangerous to you in one way or another. I am not sure how true that article is, but ... what does it matter?

So is acid, ricin, and poisonous gas, especially in enclosed chambers, as you'd know..

Your point?

Bardock42
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
So is acid, ricin, and poisonous gas, especially in enclosed chambers, as you'd know..

Your point?

That it doesn't matter. Everyone that would enjoy to harm themselves should very well do so.

It is nice to know what the harm is, but it should not be considered in pro- or anti-drug arguments.

eggmayo
Alcohol and tobacco are both more dangerous as drugs.

However, I do believe (as a previous user) that cannabis can cause psychological problems, I have next to no short term memory nowadays.

Bicnarok

KidRock
I say make it all legal. Let the retards smoke themselves retarded and to death..wouldn't be a loss.

Schecter

And there are always people who are too thick to add to the actual topic and have to pick on other pointless things. mad

what, pointless things like the article being a complete fabrication from a ****ing gossip tabloid? yeah, superficial indeed. roll eyes (sarcastic)

=Tired Hiker=
That's what I loved about smoking weed back in the day, the mild hallucenations and the voices, that's why I smoked it.

Bardock42
Originally posted by KidRock
I say make it all legal. Let the retards smoke themselves retarded and to death..wouldn't be a loss.

K-kid Rock? A-a sensible point?

DOOOOMSDAY!!!!

KidRock
Originally posted by Bardock42
K-kid Rock? A-a sensible point?

DOOOOMSDAY!!!!

Your on a posting rampage today.

Meet your daily extermination quota early today?

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
How's that for fcukin' governmental population control. Those airplanes hijacked in the 9/11 plot should've rammed into both the White House and Capitol Hill. With every executive member in both buildings. Now there's something for the media to take home to mom.

That ought'a fix their scare tactics..

where does the conspiracy of evil plots of population control come into play here?

Creshosk
Originally posted by Magee
Here is what they mean by evidence. A percentage of schizo patients had smoked cannabis at some point in there life so they think its only logical it causes it. There is no truth or evidence only people saying "yea weed made me crazy or caused depression". Its not the the drug thats the problem its the people who smoke it. Only a few weeks ago they were saying skunk is 20 times more potent than it was a decade ago. Now they realise how stupid that is and have brought it down to 6, the government and the media are just trying to scare younger kids and susceptible minds with scary words like schizophrenia. Post hoc ergo propter hoc has always been a favorite scare tactic of governments.

Though as was pointed out the sun is a tabloid...

Bardock42
Your on a posting rampage today.

Meet your daily extermination quota early today?

Got a day off. "Held der Arbeit" so to speak.

lord xyz
All this talk about Marijuana, if we have a legal drug that makes you violent, depressed, stupid and smelly, shouldn't we have one that makes you calm, happy, stupid and smelly?

eggmayo
Originally posted by lord xyz
All this talk about Marijuana, if we have a legal drug that makes you violent, depressed, stupid and smelly, shouldn't we have one that makes you calm, happy, stupid and smelly?

No, because it would be too easy to make at home, hence no juicy tax for the government.

Creshosk
Originally posted by eggmayo
No, because it would be too easy to make at home, hence no juicy tax for the government. I'm tempted to say that's along the lines of conspiracy theory.

After all we can produce other produce in our own gardens as well.

FeceMan
Not "dope," you imbecile; rather, dopamine.

Bicnarok
Originally posted by Schecter
what, pointless things like the article being a complete fabrication from a ****ing gossip tabloid? yeah, superficial indeed. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Fabrication?

Ranger Smith

Good point,I think they do now though and at least whilst it's illegal law enforment officers get the fun of abusing the drug taking scum with humiliating searches and the chance to beat them up in the cells.

debbiejo
Originally posted by FeceMan
Not "dope," you imbecile; rather, dopamine. Everyone should have their fill of dopamine. It's a a good thing. Especailly at Thanksgiving. yes

Gotta love those Neurotransmitters.

Schecter
Fabrication?

congratulations on posting a valid source. sometimes with you its like pulling teeth.

anyway, more government scare tactics and fudging of numbers. the only bit of truth:

which everyone already knew.

inimalist
I will never cease to be amazed at the capacity of people to be so enthralled and supportive of science when it confirms their already held beliefs about the world, but to then be so dismissive of it without any signifigant investigation when it creates the slightest conflict with what they already think.

But clearly work published in The Lancet is motivated by conservative government agents. Oh, but wait, they published a report last year lambasting the government drug policy and laws, saying they had no relevance to the actual dangers posed by the drugs. But clearly, CLEARLY, the Lancet, one of the world's most preeminent medical journals, is being bought by government interests to promote non scientific claims. That is how they must have done it to become as respected as they are these days.

inimalist
Originally posted by debbiejo
Everyone should have their fill of dopamine. It's a a good thing. Especailly at Thanksgiving. yes

Gotta love those Neurotransmitters.

dopaminergic responses in the hippocampus are responsible for chemical addiction stick out tongue

Its what makes coke and amphetamines so addictive, and also why people can become addicted to other things that give them that dopamine rush, ala sex, gambling ect...

Devil King
I'm suprised it took this long for someone to post it.

bM_vLk1I6G4

Shakyamunison

What do you lot think, ?

I think it is more likely that people who have a tendency toward psychotic illnesses to self medicate with pot, then pot causing schizophrenia.

inimalist
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
I think it is more likely that people who have a tendency toward psychotic illnesses to self medicate with pot, then pot causing schizophrenia.

great point, but controlled for though

It is a meta analysis of existing research, so there are some things to be said about its ability to make any findings that claim causality, in fact, the author says this: "I don't think you can be certain that this is a causal relationship", and goes on to highlight that there may be unknown confounding variables (though I think that what you are talking about would have been controlled for )

one of the authors is interviewed in the Lancet podcast, which I am listening to now:

http://podcast.thelancet.com/audio/lancet/2007/9584_28july.mp3

hopefully the link works, if not, go to the lancet homepage (http://www.thelancet.com/home), the first article should be about this, with a "listen to The Lancet" option.

Syren
Originally posted by lord xyz

laughing

Love that thumb up

xmarksthespot
It's not exactly news that there may be some link between marijuana and schizophrenia - it's just not certain what impact it has exactly. The active ingredient is THC, that acts on cannabinoid receptors, which have been implicated in schizophrenia.

debbiejo
What about people that have schizophrenia that never did drugs?

inimalist
what about them?

PiruBlood
i think people who are already schitzo will get more deadlyer if they smoke some weed. my cousin is scizo and never touched a drug in her life. marijuana can probably do alot to a persons brain function. i smoke weed and i dont get crazy. but the truth of the matter is everyone is diffrent.

Yo Mom loves it
Originally posted by PiruBlood
i think people who are already schitzo will get more deadlyer if they smoke some weed. my cousin is scizo and never touched a drug in her life. marijuana can probably do alot to a persons brain function. i smoke weed and i dont get crazy. but the truth of the matter is everyone is diffrent.

What is scizo?

eggmayo
Originally posted by Creshosk
I'm tempted to say that's along the lines of conspiracy theory.

After all we can produce other produce in our own gardens as well.

I would say it's a lot easier to grow weed than it is to produce alcohol or tobacco - tobacco needs mass refinement, tar, bonus cancer added, alcohol is a little simpler but is still hard to make.

Weed, you just put some seeds in a room with powerful lights.

Yo Mom loves it
Originally posted by eggmayo
I would say it's a lot easier to grow weed than it is to produce alcohol or tobacco - tobacco needs mass refinement, tar, bonus cancer added, alcohol is a little simpler but is still hard to make.

Weed, you just put some seeds in a room with powerful lights.

I simply can't get any alcohol to produce, i put a couple of bottles in the room together play them soft music, but, I get nothing at all.

eggmayo
I see the GDF really went to hell.

Bicnarok
Ive smoked my fair share of dope and me and my friend (who no one else can see) are finesmile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.