Astonishing X-Men: Second Stage

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

xmarksthespot
Marvel has finally announced the new creative team for Astonishing X-Men; to be renamed Astonishing X-Men: Second Stage, after Whedon and Cassaday finish their run.

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/2525/astonishxmenv2ju4.jpg

Warren Ellis (Transmetropolitan, The Authority, Planetary, Nextwave, newuniversal) is the new writer, with Simone Bianchi (Seven Soldiers: Shining Knight, Green Lantern, Wolverine) taking on the artistic duties.

Newsarama has interviewed both of them on their upcoming title.
http://www.newsarama.com/Comic-Con_07/Marvel/AXMEllis.html
http://www.newsarama.com/Comic-Con_07/Marvel/Simone.html

I didn't know if this warranted a thread, but meh, maybe there's some discussion to be had. happy

(Credit to snoop, for bringing this to my attention.)

willRules
Yeah looks good yes

Soljer
Astonishing has been the best X-series around for a while....

Let's hope that doesn't change, eh?

Supermanluv
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Marvel has finally announced the new creative team for Astonishing X-Men; to be renamed Astonishing X-Men: Second Stage, after Whedon and Cassaday finish their run.

Warren Ellis (Transmetropolitan, The Authority, Planetary, Nextwave, newuniversal) is the new writer, with Simone Bianchi (Seven Soldiers: Shining Knight, Green Lantern, Wolverine) taking on the artistic duties.

I didn't know if this warranted a thread, but meh, maybe there's some discussion to be had. happy

First Off, Warren Ellis doing X-men is MORE than worth its own thread. Second, Ellis has stated that he's not sure what the roster is going to be, so that picture is wrong.

If you want to know how good Ellis is, pick up T.Bolts or read his Avatar work; Black Summer or Doctor Sleepless !

xmarksthespot
I actually love Simone Bianchi's art, imo it's definitely at least on par with Cassaday's, so I'm pretty pleased about the decision to put him on this book. So at the very least I know I'm going to love how it's going to look.

I've liked what I've read of Ellis' work before, but I suppose I'll have to wait and see whether I like Ellis' take on this book though, what changes are made, to the style and tone, to the line-up (from that very rough preview image, one could possibly hazard a guess that X-23 may be graduating from the kids' table, but then again it's a very rough preview - none of those characters may be in the team), whether he can capture their personalities and dynamics.

I like the current line-up though, hope he at least keeps Emma Frost and Kitty Pryde in there.

Supermanluv
I actually love Simone Bianchi's art, imo it's definitely at least on par with Cassaday's, so I'm pretty pleased about the decision to put him on this book.

I've liked what I've read of Ellis' work before, but I suppose I'll have to wait and see whether I like Ellis' take on this book though, what changes are made to the line-up (from that very rough preview image, one could possibly hazard a guess that X-23 may be graduating from the kids' table, but then again it's a very rough preview - none of those characters may be in the team), whether he can capture their personalities and dynamics.

I hope re-captures the energy and violence of Morissons run. Morissons run with consistent decent art would have been world class !

The Pict
I wasn't really a fan of Cassaday's art in Astonishing X-Men, so I'll be glad to see a new artist on the book. However Whedon did a great job, so I'll be sad to see him go.

Originally posted by Soljer
Astonishing has been the best X-series around for a while....

Let's hope that doesn't change, eh?

Agreed.

Validus
Astonishing is the only X-Men worth following IMO. Doesn't get caught up in crossover madness and just tells its own story.

Grimm22
Is that X-23 I see in that cover? confused

And why does it look as if Emma now has energy powers?

llagrok
Originally posted by Grimm22

X-23 has probably graduated, dunno about Emma though :/

Grimm22
Originally posted by llagrok
X-23 has probably graduated, dunno about Emma though :/

They're not even close to graduating. Last I remember they are just sophemores

jinzin
God I Love bianchi's art, I just wished he'd stp giving feral characters these ridiculous overbites.. wtf..

The Pict
They're not even close to graduating. Last I remember they are just sophemores

Laura is like 16/17. Wasn't Kitty on the team at 14?

llagrok
Bianchi, he's not the one who's being doing Wolverine lately? Because I can't stand that art.

jinzin
yes. really? I thought it was amazing.

llagrok
Originally posted by jinzin
yes. really? I thought it was amazing.

Take a look at Sabretooth and Sasquatch. There's also something about the fighting that is just off.

jinzin
It's the (under) Overbites I tell ya, that's the one thing I think he needs to get under control,cause he's way out of it drawing them that way, but by and large thought his art was superb... I don't know what was wrong with the fight scenes other than repeatative hand poses.

Blight
The Art is better than the writing roll eyes (sarcastic)

Pack it up, pack it in, Let me begin, I came to win, Battle me that's a sin

srankmissingnin
Wow... Beast's foot is huge!

llagrok
Originally posted by srankmissingnin

Never has his teeth and nails been that visible.

Blight
I won't tear the sack up
Punk you'd better back up
Try and play the role and the whole crew will act up
Get up, stand up, come on!
Come on, throw your hands up

pr1983

oh well...

tjcoady
Warren freaking Ellis is writing XMEN??

awesome.

I expect Cyclopse to start chain smoking and calling everyone he runs into a "wanker," Wolverine to do nothing but talk about how awesome his cell phone is, and Emma to be absolutely covered in piercings by issue 2.

"Also, I think planes will probably crash, beer will be drunk, people will get stabbed and certain characters will have what Joss called "the crazy weasel sex." But there will be no crying. This is very important. There is too much crying in science fiction these days."

this sounds so good

sweet.

Supermanluv
Originally posted by tjcoady
Warren freaking Ellis is writing XMEN??

awesome.

I expect Cyclopse to start chain smoking and calling everyone he runs into a "wanker," Wolverine to do nothing but talk about how awesome his cell phone is, and Emma to be absolutely covered in piercings by issue 2.

"Also, I think planes will probably crash, beer will be drunk, people will get stabbed and certain characters will have what Joss called "the crazy weasel sex." But there will be no crying. This is very important. There is too much crying in science fiction these days."

this sounds so good

sweet.

laughing

Exactly, I cant wait !

Draco69
Why is X-23 on the team? They already have Wolverine why does Wolverine-Lite have to be on the team?

I strongly prefer Armour....

tjcoady
Originally posted by Draco69
Why is X-23 on the team? They already have Wolverine why does Wolverine-Lite have to be on the team?

I strongly agree with you... plus, I just don't like X-23.

but then again, this is just promo art. Ellis has stressed he hasn't decided on a team yet. and if there is one person I trust in comics, it's Warren Ellis.

I like to think that I'm not a fanboy... but if anyone wants to call me a Warren Ellis fanboy, that is something I'm completely fine with.

Big Sexy
Originally posted by Blight
I won't tear the sack up
Punk you'd better back up
Try and play the role and the whole crew will act up
Get up, stand up, come on!
Come on, throw your hands up confused Why did you start quoting "House of Pain".

llagrok
Originally posted by Draco69

Who's about to die in the next astonishing issue.

Disappear
x-23's going to be the new wolverine. she'll be a new x-man, an astonishing x-man, an adjectiveless and uncanny x-man, a hero for hire, a secret defender and keep a healthy personal life in between.

very glad to see ellis on the project. perhaps we'll get a cameo by nextwave?

Wolverine2006
Maaaan...I hate Beast's look in this

Black Adam
Originally posted by Big Sexy
confused Why did you start quoting "House of Pain".

maybe he came to get down.

xmarksthespot
Originally posted by jinzin
God I Love bianchi's art, I just wished he'd stp giving feral characters these ridiculous overbites.. wtf.. I agree. I think the only thing I'd fault him is the style in which he does draw feral characters. The art is still superb imo, it's just how he's designed characters like Sabretooth, Sasquatch (who as Spunky commented looked a bit like a wookie - a superbly drawn wookie though), and Beast that looks off to people.

His Emma and Kitty are excellent.

Jack Harkness
I loved the first series, I forgot to how far I got damn it.

ExodusCloak
Wow...looks awesome. Sadly I still think the Kitty Pryde Uniform wearing Armour is going to die.

xmarksthespot
I'm not completely convinced - Whedon invested a bit of time developing her, it would seem a waste to kill her off. Then again he killed off his lead character before so....

I don't get why people are convinced that a character will die though. All Blindfold said was "Not all of them." will be back.

So long as Emma and Kitty stay on the team I'd be happy, I liked Ellis' Kitty in the past.

snoopdogg
If that's the cover to the first issue I guess we know who does not make it back from Breakworld.

srankmissingnin
I love Colossus pose. He is like some sort of shambling Frankenstein! cool

Tyrant
I love Colossus pose. He is like some sort of shambling Frankenstein! cool I thought he was the Destroyer armor at first...

Wolverines claws are longer than his forearms!

NiņoAraņa
i personally don't like the promo art much =\ and i don't like this guys work on Wolvie.

lft4ded

If I didn't know that Cyclops and his wife go hand in hand I would've thought it was Polaris.

Soljer
Originally posted by #1110
Wolverines claws are longer than his forearms!

Well, his claws are supposed to be a foot long.

Logan's only about five foot tall....

xmarksthespot
Wife? Nah, Emma's not the marrying type.

pr1983
Wife? Nah, Emma's not the marrying type.

yeah, thats true... and i'm sure scott doesnt want to get married again anyways...

not a huge fan of bianchi to be honest, but i'll give him the benefit of the doubt before making any judgement...

Martian_mind
Just a small town girl....living in a lonely world...she took the midnight train going Anywheeerreeee....

pr1983
they've been playing that song on the radio non stop for the past few weeks...

NiņoAraņa

Martian_mind
Unlike the Irish i don't live in a hell-hole,so i'm not yet sick of it yet stick out tongue

"The more i see the less i know the more i wanna let it go,heeeyyooooo."

pr1983
Originally posted by Martian_mind
Unlike the Irish i don't live in a hell-hole,so i'm not yet sick of it yet stick out tongue

"The more i see the less i know the more i wanna let it go,heeeyyooooo."

no expression

ExodusCloak
I'm not completely convinced - Whedon invested a bit of time developing her, it would seem a waste to kill her off. Then again he killed off his lead character before so....

I don't get why people are convinced that a character will die though. All Blindfold said was "Not all of them." will be back.

So long as Emma and Kitty stay on the team I'd be happy, I liked Ellis' Kitty in the past.

Good point...from what I got from that interview Marvel seem to be trying their hardest to isolate the AXM storyline from the rest of the X-Universe. Armour was introduced in AXM and has only made 2-3 appearances in New X-Men as a background character so IMO she'd be the easiest to clean up.(I lie IRRC she had dialogue once.) We've already had Brubaker mess up in his storyline due to lack of communication with the editors. And then came WWH: X-Men which made Ed look like a bigger ass. So I'm guessing the AXM team won't be shaken up too badly after Breakerworld. Scott will probably get his powers back. Emma's psuedo-betrayl might not be acknowledged outside of AXM V1. Colossus, Beast and Kitty should be safe due to the events with the Destiny Diaries and the Messiah Complex in Careys X-Men. And Wolverine is Wolverine.

Question is what reason would one have(Other then death) to stay behind on breakerworld.
Could Armour(Under the influence of Ms. Nova) become the new ruler of Breakerworld?

BTW THe Emma and Kitty dynamic just works...I hope they don't change the team and keep Wolverine in the background.

Validus
Originally posted by pr1983

not a huge fan of bianchi to be honest, but i'll give him the benefit of the doubt before making any judgement...
What artists do you like? Reis obviously but who else.

pr1983
Originally posted by Validus
What artists do you like? Reis obviously but who else.

laughing out loud

reis... stick out tongue
ed benes...
ian churchill...
van sciver (if he's drawing green lantern, otherwise, no thanks)
jim lee...
whilce portacio back in his x-men days...
andy kubert's onslaught era work...
kirby obviously...
madureira in his x-men days...
i'm starting to come round to pacheco, but i'm not 100% satisfied yet...
pete woods (hated him at first, but for some reason i've come to like his work)

and mcniven's work on civil war was quite good...

Grimm22
McGiven's work on anything is good yes

Sadly nobody cares for his work on 4 sad

xmarksthespot

srankmissingnin
That's cos.... you're a poohead. vin

For some reason Bianchi's art is a bit polarizing, and I don't particularly get why. It's definitely a bit different from regular comic fare - reminds me more of paintings and frescoes sometimes... but I don't see that as a bad thing.

It's his half tone technique.

Grimm22
Originally posted by lft4ded
If I didn't know that Cyclops and his wife go hand in hand I would've thought it was Polaris.

Polaris has been a crap character ever since she was created way back in the early days of the xmen.

If anyone could make her interesting it would be Warren Ellis, but I know for a fact that she won't be on the team (seeing as she is in space with Havok)

llagrok
Polaris has been a crap character ever since she was created way back in the early days of the xmen.

If anyone could make her interesting it would be Warren Ellis, but I know for a fact that she won't be on the team (seeing as she is in space with Havok)

You're insane. Polaris has been great.

The last thing we need is another timid girl who's afraid to use her powers and lose control.

Validus
That's cos.... you're a poohead. vin

For some reason Bianchi's art is a bit polarizing, and I don't particularly get why. It's definitely a bit different from regular comic fare - reminds me more of paintings and frescoes sometimes... but I don't see that as a bad thing.
IMO, his art loses something once color is added. It looks a lot better when it's just in different shades black, white, brown, etc. His Detective Comics' covers are his best work for that reason alone.

EDIT - Though now I think about it, his Green Lantern covers were pretty damn stunning too.

srankmissingnin

Yeah... because Polaris is certainly no Emma Frost. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Grimm22
Yeah... because Polaris is certainly no Emma Frost. roll eyes (sarcastic)

I detect Sarcasm sly

ExodusCloak
I'm gonna hijack this thread:

AXM #22 Preview(Spoilers)

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=11640

pr1983
Originally posted by ExodusCloak
I'm gonna hijack this thread:

AXM #22 Preview(Spoilers)

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=11640

bout f*cking time... the preview i mean... isn't it out next week?

oh, and emma totally pwned danger...

roughrider
Warren Ellis will be a terrific replacement, but why does Joss Whedon have to leave anyway? Not like he's busy with that Wonder Woman film project anymore...
Well, at least this should mean a monthly title, now.

Citizen V
Bianchi on AXM = *moan*.

Ellis on AXM = A huge step down from Whedon, IMO.

Supermanluv
Originally posted by Citizen V
Bianchi on AXM = *moan*.

Ellis on AXM = A huge step down from Whedon, IMO.

Ellis is a FAR superior writer to Wheldon !

pr1983
Originally posted by Supermanluv

well whether he's better or not, whedon has written one of the best x-men series' in years... it'd be tough for anyone to follow that...

roughrider
If I want anyone to follow Whedon, it's Ellis. His work on Ultimate Fantastic Four convinces me of that.

Charlotte DeBel
bout f*cking time... the preview i mean... isn't it out next week?

oh, and emma totally pwned danger...
I thought Emma was quite well-versed in electronics by herself- Mutivac and stuff. But that doesn't automatically means that she was just as adept at robots programming and Kitty must have known Danger's programs specs better.

pr1983
Originally posted by Charlotte DeBel
I thought Emma was quite well-versed in electronics by herself- Mutivac and stuff. But that doesn't automatically means that she was just as adept at robots programming and Kitty must have known Danger's programs specs better.

i just hope scott has an equally as cool scene in the issue...

Charlotte DeBel
I'll wait till issue actually comes out to update Emma's RT.

Citizen V

Maybe he is, but I don't think Ellis'd fight AXM very well.

Validus
Originally posted by roughrider
If I want anyone to follow Whedon, it's Ellis. His work on Ultimate Fantastic Four convinces me of that.
Fantastic Four fits Ellis' writing like a glove. He loves to write crazy, sci fi style things like that. The X-Men are a bit more grounded.

Not saying he won't knock AXM out of the ballpark but I wouldn't say he's the best follow up to Whedon either.

pr1983
Originally posted by Charlotte DeBel
I'll wait till issue actually comes out to update Emma's RT.

good thinking...

llagrok
Originally posted by Validus
Fantastic Four fits Ellis' writing like a glove. He loves to write crazy, sci fi style things like that. The X-Men are a bit more grounded.

Not saying he won't knock AXM out of the ballpark but I wouldn't say he's the best follow up to Whedon either.

When you think about it, the x-men have spent a lot of time in outer space lately.

Worldbreaker and Shi'ar...

Supermanluv

Mate, although his Ultimate Fantastic Four work was ok, his other work has literally cemented himself as one of the greastest writers of all time. I REALLY REALLY recommend the Authority, Global Frequency and Planetary and you'll see what i mean mate. Or just pick up his current T.Bolts run ...

Citizen V
Mate, although his Ultimate Fantastic Four work was ok, his other work has literally cemented himself as one of the greastest writers of all time. I REALLY REALLY recommend the Authority, Global Frequency and Planetary and you'll see what i mean mate. Or just pick up his current T.Bolts run ...

Warren Ellis as one of the greatest writers of all time? Nope, I don't think so.

And you're seriously putting his Thunderbolts run in the same sentence as Planetary? Thunderbolts is mediocre, it doesn't deserve to be mentioned alongside Planetary, Authority or Global Frequency.

Supermanluv
Warren Ellis as one of the greatest writers of all time? Nope, I don't think so.

And you're seriously putting his Thunderbolts run in the same sentence as Planetary? Thunderbolts is mediocre, it doesn't deserve to be mentioned alongside Planetary, Authority or Global Frequency.

Brain Bendis and i disagree, and IMO his oppinion counts more than yours, but thats my oppinion !

Ellis is easilly one of the greatest writers of all time. He's been consistently good through out his time in comics, and Black Summer is shaping up to be the next Authority !

Citizen V
Brain Bendis and i disagree, and IMO his oppinion counts more than yours, but thats my oppinion !

Ellis is easilly one of the greatest writers of all time. He's been consistently good through out his time in comics, and Black Summer is shaping up to be the next Authority !

Easily one of the greatest writers of all time? No, definetly not.

There are plenty of much better writers out there, living and dead.

Supermanluv
Easily one of the greatest writers of all time? No, definetly not.

There are plenty of much better writers out there, living and dead.

Top 10 easilly !

tjcoady
I would say Ellis belongs on a list of the top ten comics writers, pretty easily, if for nothing else than Transmetropolitan. and the greatest comic series of all times NEXTWAVE.

roughrider

I know about his premier work on The Authority & Transmetropolin.
He will just be good at that funny, bitchy interplay between characters that Whedon does so well, going from sarcasm to sweet in the same panels. He will keep the same tone from before, which is why I think he's a good choice. Someone like Chris Claremont or Jeph Loeb, would be too much a swing in a different direction.

ExodusCloak
Chris Claremont

Don't jinx it mad. The man just got kicked off all X-Universe comics involving 616 mainstream timeline continuity. They need to keep the man in a corner and forget about him.

pr1983
Don't jinx it mad. The man just got kicked off all X-Universe comics involving 616 mainstream timeline continuity. They need to keep the man in a corner and forget about him.

in a corner? f*ck that, take him out back and shoot the bastard...

roughrider

No argument here. Claremont ran dry of ideas for X-Men by 1989, but kept going. His Wolverine writing was so bad, it was a relief to see Peter David & Archie Goodwin take over for him back then.

ExodusCloak
I'm hijacking this thread...again.
Finally Issue #23 comes out next week.
Preview:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=12250

Shadow_King
i thought it came out this week?

ExodusCloak
Originally posted by Shadow_King
i thought it came out this week?

This upcoming Wednesday...next week stick out tongue

llagrok
God that storyline is boring.

S.W.O.R.D and breakworld?

*yawn*

pr1983
This upcoming Wednesday...next week stick out tongue

yeah, can't wait... s'gonna be awesome...

Originally posted by llagrok
God that storyline is boring.

S.W.O.R.D and breakworld?

*yawn*

says you...

ExodusCloak
yeah, can't wait... s'gonna be awesome...

Scotts back

http://images.comicbookresources.com/previews/marvelcomics/astonishing_xmen/023/ASTXM023_int-6.jpg

pr1983
Scotts back

http://images.comicbookresources.com/previews/marvelcomics/astonishing_xmen/023/ASTXM023_int-6.jpg

was there ever any doubt? big grin

any more where that came from?

pr1983
Actually... AXM 23 Preview...

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=12250

emma is one cold-hearted b*tch... unless of course she knows what happened etc...

The Pict
I didn't like the first issue of this, the dialogue got on my nerves a bit.

And Storm looked really stupid IMO.

But it will most likely pick up as the series goes on.

Boy Blue
From the beginning of the thread:

I've liked what I've read of Ellis' work before, but I suppose I'll have to wait and see whether I like Ellis' take on this book though, what changes are made, to the style and tone, to the line-up (from that very rough preview image, one could possibly hazard a guess that X-23 may be graduating from the kids' table, but then again it's a very rough preview - none of those characters may be in the team), whether he can capture their personalities and dynamics.

I like the current line-up though, hope he at least keeps Emma Frost and Kitty Pryde in there.

Emma Frost and who?

Oops.

The Pict
Originally posted by Boy Blue
From the beginning of the thread:

Emma Frost and who?

Oops.

laughing out loud I wanted Kitty to be in this line-up as well. She's probably my favourite character.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.