top 20 QBS of alltime

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth_Hexus
1) Johnny Unitas
2) Joe Montana
3) Terry Bradshaw
4) Dan Marino
5) John Elway
6) Troy Aikman
7) Roger Staubach
8) Steve Young
9) Bart Starr
10) Brett Favre
11) Joe Theisman
12) Jim Plunkett
13) Fran Tarkenton
14) Bob Griese
15) Warren Moon
16) Tom Brady
17) Rich Gannon
18) Peyton Manning
19) Sammy Baugh
20) Mark Rypken

BobbyD
#s 12, 14, 17, and 20 (IMO) don't belong on the list. ...just stop at the top 16.

wink

One word can sum them all up.....overrated.

DigiMark007
There's other threads like this. And anything beyond maybe 5 is so incredibly speculative that it's impossible to say for sure.

Smasandian
Yeah.

If I had to say, I would go top 5 QB's past and Top 5 QB's modern.

And I would put Manning above Rich Gannon anyday. That's crazy.

DigiMark007
Actually, Gannon's hella-underrated. His career stats are startlingly good, considering he flew under the radar for most of his career. And he did have that awesome MVP season in Oakland in...what was it, '02?

In any case, if I were making a top 20 list, he'd probably be on it.

But yeah, not ahead of Manning.

Also, Otto Graham isn't on the list. If you have older guys like Unitas and Baugh, Otto should be ahead of them both based on accomplishments and numbers. And as for Unitas at #1, anyone who tells you that is either over 60 or deluded. He would compete with some of today's QB's, but neither his accomplishments nor his stats nor his dominance of the era compares with MANY others on that list.

Smasandian
I do agree that Gannon was a good QB. No doubt about it, but he wasnt that great.

Granted, he didnt play alot of the time as a starter but I cant be speculating that if he did play he would have the same type of numbers.

Overall, he played great for those 4 years with Oakland, but overall, I dont know.

BobbyD
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Actually, Gannon's hella-underrated. His career stats are startlingly good, considering he flew under the radar for most of his career. And he did have that awesome MVP season in Oakland in...what was it, '02?

In any case, if I were making a top 20 list, he'd probably be on it.

You really think so, Digi? erm

Originally posted by DigiMark007

Also, Otto Graham isn't on the list. If you have older guys like Unitas and Baugh, Otto should be ahead of them both based on accomplishments and numbers.

...forgot Otto. Good find. smile

DigiMark007
Gannon is 9th or 10th (somewhere in there) all-time in rushing TDs for a QB, 3th all-time among retired QBs in TD/INT ratio with a minimum 1000 attempts (His rate is 1.73 TD per INT, just ahead of Dan Marino). Only Brady and Manning are above him among active QBs (possibly McNabb...I haven't run the numbers on him). He finished with and MVP, 180 TDs, about 28,000 yds, and a QB Rating of 84.7...which is higher than many of the QBs on that list, including Starr, Griese, Aikman, Bradshaw, Moon, Dan Fouts, Tarkenton, Staubach, Jim Kelly, Elway, Unitas, Plunkett and Namath.

He belongs there.

botankus
Where's Aaron Brooks and Tony Banks? Those guys are freakin' legends (of throwing off their back foot into a mob of defenders on 3rd and long).

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.