My Prediction of Joker's face in TDK

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Myth
Ok, I've been reading complaints about Joker wearing make-up instead of being disfigured to look like a clown (and I agree that it is wrong). But here's a thought, maybe this is all a set up to let people think he isn't going to be disfigured. Now I'm not saying the make up will be left out of the film. But more like he paints his face for most of the movie and then in a fight with Batman, he gets disfigured making the clown look permanent and more menacing. Think of it this way, if Nolan wants to take a realistic approach, how would acid make him look like a clown? It wouldn't. But if he is wearing make-up while getting into an accident, then it could dye him permanently, almost like ink becoming permanent when getting a tattoo.

Thoughts?

sithsaber408
idea

sindahouse
Well I do hope ur right, b/c the disfiguring idea is a crap idea. We may as well tell Heath to grow his moustache so that the make up artists can put white make up on it........lol

Na na na na na nan batman........!!! rolling on floor laughing

Give me a break laughing

Alfheim
Originally posted by Myth
Ok, I've been reading complaints about Joker wearing make-up instead of being disfigured to look like a clown (and I agree that it is wrong). But here's a thought, maybe this is all a set up to let people think he isn't going to be disfigured. Now I'm not saying the make up will be left out of the film. But more like he paints his face for most of the movie and then in a fight with Batman, he gets disfigured making the clown look permanent and more menacing. Think of it this way, if Nolan wants to take a realistic approach, how would acid make him look like a clown? It wouldn't. But if he is wearing make-up while getting into an accident, then it could dye him permanently, almost like ink becoming permanent when getting a tattoo.

Thoughts?

Well yeah that could make sense.

steverules
Tbh I don't mind...I just want him to be scary

Bat Dude
Yeah, that would make sense, but there are already a lot of reports saying that there is no origin for Joker in TDK, to quote Jett from BOF: "He just is..."

tlbauerle
Actually...

The more sadistic thing for the Joker to do would be to tattoo his face white. THAT would freakin' rock!

DARKLORDCAEDUS

Thoughts?

Intriguing.

SelinaAndBruce
I think the OP's idea and the tattooing idea are intriguing. I'm just not a fan of the Maybe He's Born With It, Maybe It's Maybelline Joker we have now outside the context of the film.

DARKLORDCAEDUS
I think there will be a flashback sequence quickly explaining Joker's face.

xNIXSONx
Originally posted by DARKLORDCAEDUS
I think there will be a flashback sequence quickly explaining Joker's face.

there will be.

Ultimate Hulk43

Thoughts?

Best idea/suggestion I've heard on this subject yet.

NoFate007
Intriguing thought, but at the same time, you can't have both. If the makeup gets tattooed so to speak on his face, he'll look exactly the same as he does now, not more menacing. Its a nice idea, and I'd sure as hell like it better than him just painting his face every time he steps out the door, hoping that he doesn't get caught in the rain and have it wash off.

Myth
I wouldn't look the same if it were burned into his face with acid.

Mišt
Hmm...I like the make up though, its kind of like giving him a choice each time...if he wears it, he deliberately chooses to be the psycho maniac instead of having it forced on him by disfigurement. He's bad because he chooses to be bad, not because he's resigned to being bad.

Or he's been pre-scarred by acid and uses the make up as a cover up..

sithsaber408
Or...

He still gets dunked in acid, but it's a torture thing.

Somebody holds his body and dunks just his head in acid, explaining the white color running from his forehead to his neck.

Probably after they sliced his mouth.

That'd make me pretty crazy, what do y'all think?

Bat Dude
Originally posted by sithsaber408
Or...

Somebody holds his body and dunks just his head in acid, explaining the white color running from his forehead to his neck.

That's a great explanation... slicing your mouth and getting your head dunked in chemicals... Could it be the reason behind some of the killings? Maybe not, but it's fun to speculate...

(Off topic: Not to spam or anything, but check out my Batman Fan Fic entitled Dent over at the General Fiction board. I'll be posting it in parts)

Mišt
Originally posted by sithsaber408
Or...

His eyes would burn.

sithsaber408
Unless he closed them.

And, he's got black circles around them.

I don't know, it was just an idea. stick out tongue

NoFate007
What I'm hoping is that we get the acid bath and permanent Joker, and I think people are forgetting that its been stated the two main sources they used were his first appearance and The Killing Joke. If they don't make him the sympathetic ex-comedian (which I doubt they will) and they don't have the acid bath/Red Hood/permanent scarring concept, what else is there from The Killing Joke that they would use for reference? That might be overlooked. The only other thing I could think of would be the torture scene but I wouldn't constitute that reference for the character rather than just an isolated incident they'd like to use in the film.

Ultimate Hulk43
If he uses make up & his look isn't permanent that'll suck but I'll still enjoy the film.

OB1-adobe

Thoughts?

Maybe somethings happens.

Maybe chemicals get splashed on his face making that the make-up won't come off

SelinaAndBruce
Originally posted by OB1-adobe
Maybe somethings happens.

Maybe chemicals get splashed on his face making that the make-up won't come off
I'll accept that but I still think it's lame he's putting it on in the first place. I know Nolan is into explaining every detail for us but I really don't need it to make perfect sense how the Joker got dyed. I just need it to happen

OB1-adobe
Originally posted by SelinaAndBruce
I'll accept that but I still think it's lame he's putting it on in the first place. I know Nolan is into explaining every detail for us but I really don't need it to make perfect sense how the Joker got dyed. I just need it to happen

If the movie is good, none of this is going to matter

DARKLORDCAEDUS

True words

NoFate007

Not necessarily. Movies aren't 100% bad or good, black or white, one way or the other. The movie could be structured extremely well with a great script, fantastic acting, and so forth, and then everyone could still say "but they ruined the Joker's character".

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Originally posted by NoFate007
Not necessarily. Movies aren't 100% bad or good, black or white, one way or the other. The movie could be structured extremely well with a great script, fantastic acting, and so forth, and then everyone could still say "but they ruined the Joker's character".

Thing is though, A lot of folks, me included, do not believe that Nolan will ruin The Joker.

Ultimate Hulk43
I think that it's more likely that he's putting on the make up at first but then his mouth gets slashed & he ends up with the make up being a permanenet look. Either way, the look for the Joker in this film looks great. I loved Jack Nicholson's Joker but Heath Ledger's Joker's looks better.

Bat Dude
All this is great speculation, but from what I'm hearing over at BOF, Joker DOES NOT HAVE AN ORIGIN... From what I'm hearing, "He just is... He wears make up, what's under the make up, we won't know..."

But I'd still like to see a "trying to wash off make up " scene where it won't come off...

SelinaAndBruce
Thing is though, A lot of folks, me included, do not believe that Nolan will ruin The Joker.
I think the only Batman films that ever ruined anything were Batman and Robin and Batman Forever. I can deal with artistic license to an extent anyway if it adds to the movie so like I said, I am not initially happy but I am still open minded. I'm not saying new Joker sucks or anything I am just not happy with what I am hearing but it could work. But so far I'm not pleased laughing

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Originally posted by Bat Dude
All this is great speculation, but from what I'm hearing over at BOF, Joker DOES NOT HAVE AN ORIGIN... From what I'm hearing, "He just is... He wears make up, what's under the make up, we won't know..."

But I'd still like to see a "trying to wash off make up " scene where it won't come off...

I love Batman on film, but I also know that they aren't telling us everything. I'm sure Chris Nolan will have some sort of flashback sequence showing us how Jack Napier become The Joker.

I think the only Batman films that ever ruined anything were Batman and Robin and Batman Forever. I can deal with artistic license to an extent anyway if it adds to the movie so like I said, I am not initially happy but I am still open minded. I'm not saying new Joker sucks or anything I am just not happy with what I am hearing but it could work. But so far I'm not pleased

Batman and Robin is the worst in the franchise.

Whisper
When the Joker grins we MUST see his back teeth and the only way this would be possible would be if he had been slashed or something previously. Images so far look great and will hopefully put an end to the whole fat bloke Jack Nicholson travesty.

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Originally posted by Whisper
When the Joker grins we MUST see his back teeth and the only way this would be possible would be if he had been slashed or something previously. Images so far look great and will hopefully put an end to the whole fat bloke Jack Nicholson travesty.

True words.

Jimmy Buggs
the first joker was lame and boring. you can only go up from here.

Bat Dude
I actually thought Nicholson did an excellent job with his 70s/80s style Joker... It wasn't the modern Joker, but then again, nothing about that movie is modern... (that may be one reason I like it, besides it being Batman, of course)

Ultimate Hulk43
Yeah, he did a great job but hopefully Heath Ledger can be as sadistic. Even if Heath Ledger's Joker isn't the happy sadistic one, I'll look forward to seeing him as a total maniac & I even want to see what his minions will look like. The new Joker looks great. I'm excited! Happy Dance

SelinaAndBruce
I actually thought Nicholson did an excellent job with his 70s/80s style Joker... It wasn't the modern Joker, but then again, nothing about that movie is modern... (that may be one reason I like it, besides it being Batman, of course)
Exactly they are playing two different Jokers. Lord it is so annoying how some people try to discredit the old movie just cuz something new is being made. Jack was a great Joker IMO and quite entertaining

Ultimate Hulk43
My sentiments exactly. I actually want Heath Ledger to play more of a sadistic Joker than a laughing idiot Joker (which Nicholson played very well).

NoFate007
See, now, I found this picture of an upcoming comic involving the Injustice League. Tell me the Joker doesn't look like Ledger. Why couldn't we have gotten THAT as opposed to the dark circles and smeared lipstick for a fake smile?

NoFate007
Instead, we got the much less threatening style of:

Il.Mozalini
I think he's MUCH more threatening that way, but whatever.

Ultimate Hulk43
The Joker is great as is for the film.

xNIXSONx
See, now, I found this picture of an upcoming comic involving the Injustice League. Tell me the Joker doesn't look like Ledger. Why couldn't we have gotten THAT as opposed to the dark circles and smeared lipstick for a fake smile?

here's the joker i took from you're pic, added smeared lipstick and dark circles around the eyes and some subtle scarring around the mouth and cheek covered up by that red

how does it look lol

NoFate007
See, that looks better to me, but so far, all we've seen from Ledger's Joker is that the smile is painted on, not an actual smile - and I know that eventually we WILL see a smile, and it will look better - however, right now it just seems like we're getting "The Pillsbury Joker"...some guy who dunked his big head in a bucket of flour and then painted on a smile with lipstick. He could look a lot better when he's smiling, but if the "cut smile" is basically all we'll see, he lacks the vivid energy that the Joker always has. I mean, look at this cut smile: http://www.cine-east.com/catalog/images/ichithekr.jpg Does that really look like the Joker in the comics or animated series? That's a cut smile and basically what we'd be seeing with Ledger's version, and it doesn't even look like he's smiling too much. I was always hoping we would get something more along the lines of the most vicious, evil, sadistic looking "guy that you don't want to see laughing cause it will scare the hell out of you" Joker ala this pic: http://graffiti.tscpl.org/MikeDeodatoJoker.jpg

I still have some hope that it won't be as bad as I'm looking at it now...because after all, Batman Begins was easily the best comic book film ever...but with a character like the Joker...who apparently is now a Texan (????)...who is basically defined by only his appearance and mannerisms (the laughter and the crimes he pulls)....to change his appearance and say its more about his eyes (that you can barely see with the makeup) than his smile (which isn't a smile).......I'm just lost as to what they're thinking.

xNIXSONx
See, that looks better to me, but so far, all we've seen from Ledger's Joker is that the smile is painted on, not an actual smile - and I know that eventually we WILL see a smile, and it will look better - however, right now it just seems like we're getting "The Pillsbury Joker"...some guy who dunked his big head in a bucket of flour and then painted on a smile with lipstick. He could look a lot better when he's smiling, but if the "cut smile" is basically all we'll see, he lacks the vivid energy that the Joker always has. I mean, look at this cut smile: http://www.cine-east.com/catalog/images/ichithekr.jpg Does that really look like the Joker in the comics or animated series? That's a cut smile and basically what we'd be seeing with Ledger's version, and it doesn't even look like he's smiling too much. I was always hoping we would get something more along the lines of the most vicious, evil, sadistic looking "guy that you don't want to see laughing cause it will scare the hell out of you" Joker ala this pic: http://graffiti.tscpl.org/MikeDeodatoJoker.jpg

I still have some hope that it won't be as bad as I'm looking at it now...because after all, Batman Begins was easily the best comic book film ever...but with a character like the Joker...who apparently is now a Texan (????)...who is basically defined by only his appearance and mannerisms (the laughter and the crimes he pulls)....to change his appearance and say its more about his eyes (that you can barely see with the makeup) than his smile (which isn't a smile).......I'm just lost as to what they're thinking.

ya understood, the first pic released (the closeup of Ledger's Joker), the look was like, neutral. The second one, with him holding a knife to the new Rachel Dawes, no smile either. However, i think, he looks pretty creepy right now, i would imagine when he smiles it would be a hell of a lot of creepy, thats what i think those pictures were goin for.

Superherohype claims a new trailer was shown at this wizardcon thing or somethin? and you see Ledger smile, etc. hey Michael Caine said Ledger's doin an extraordinary job so ill take his word for it smile

NoFate007
Originally posted by xNIXSONx
hey Michael Caine said Ledger's doin an extraordinary job so ill take his word for it smile

Think about this, though. When you're hyping a movie, do you ever hear the cast or crew go "eh it kind of sucks"? Haha.

xNIXSONx
Think about this, though. When you're hyping a movie, do you ever hear the cast or crew go "eh it kind of sucks"? Haha.

its michael caine man.

and Yes, I do hear actors/actresses hyping a movie and they say stuff like "its alright/it might be good it might not" for example, the main stars of Superbad. If Michael Caine was saying "go see this movie, its going to blow everything away" Ill take that as hyping and promoting the movie but if he says "heath is doing an extraordinary job and is terrific" then ill take that as a genuine comment, since it was stated on his personal blog site.

atharpina
what im hoping for(cause even though i like the cutsmile, i miss the true smile) is that he'll have moments where he smiles sadisticly and the curved up cut smile and smeared on lipstick grin will just come together to make him look absoeffinglutley terrifying, you know?

remember in the animated series episode where the joker has a trashboat leaking laughing gas on gotham? well at the end theres that scene where the jokers running from batman in a dump or something and it shows him sitting indian style on a cube of trash and hes just smiling...not even laughing, just staring at batman and smiling. if you know what im talking about, then imagine the cutsmile movie joker smiling that same way...just staring and smiling in that same messed up way....creepy

tlbauerle
I remember hearing Ewan McGregor saying filming Episode I was the "epitome of tedium". That wasn't overly favorable.

Ultimate Hulk43
Originally posted by atharpina
what im hoping for(cause even though i like the cutsmile, i miss the true smile) is that he'll have moments where he smiles sadisticly and the curved up cut smile and smeared on lipstick grin will just come together to make him look absoeffinglutley terrifying, you know?

remember in the animated series episode where the joker has a trashboat leaking laughing gas on gotham? well at the end theres that scene where the jokers running from batman in a dump or something and it shows him sitting indian style on a cube of trash and hes just smiling...not even laughing, just staring at batman and smiling. if you know what im talking about, then imagine the cutsmile movie joker smiling that same way...just staring and smiling in that same messed up way....creepy

I love how his face gets slashed somehow, it just makes the Joker even more creepy for this film. I'm looking forward to seeing a real sadistic Joker this time around. Even though I'll still go see the movie no matter what, I still don't want him to just apply make-up.

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Originally posted by Ultimate Hulk43
I love how his face gets slashed somehow, it just makes the Joker even more creepy for this film. I'm looking forward to seeing a real sadistic Joker this time around. Even though I'll still go see the movie no matter what, I still don't want him to just apply make-up.

I just can't imagine, Nolan not having a flashback or two explaining The Joker. As for seeing TDK. Firs, I'm seeing it free, then I'm paying to see it at least five times.

SelinaAndBruce
I'll see it once and register my opinion through out the internet, lol as Comic Book guy would say.

Ultimate Hulk43
Since both 'The Dark Knight' & 'The Incredible Hulk' will be released next year around the same time, I'll probably end up seeing 'TIH'.

Ultimate Hulk43
I just can't imagine, Nolan not having a flashback or two explaining The Joker. As for seeing TDK. Firs, I'm seeing it free, then I'm paying to see it at least five times.

What are you talking about?

xNIXSONx

...Nolan IS having Flashbacks to explain The Joker, and the origin of the Joker...

Ultimate Hulk43
That's what I'm saying, why wouldn't he explain the Joker's origins?

xNIXSONx

oh i see now, you think Nolan will have flashbacks.

lol i have no idea why he wouldnt put flashbacks in, i think we were given one. The picture of the thugs in clown masks, the one closest in the picture is actual Ledger in a clown mask, and some clown behind him with a gun, search the pics and some behidn the scenes pics

Ultimate Hulk43
I've seen them, they are in Wizard magazine but I wouldn't mind seeing some flashback sequences, I like flashback sequences.

Bat Dude

Well, for one, he'd be a lot more mysterious... You don't know HOW he became the Joker, all you know is that he IS the Joker, and he IS gonna kill people... And he IS a man of his word... (or so he says)

Not knowing how he came to be is a lot creepier imo... It's like the monster in a monster movie, how a lot of the really good ones never explain how the monster was created, and not knowing makes it that much scarier, if you get what I'm saying... I'd prefer Joker to just be there, maybe show ONE flashback to his comedy days or something, but that's it... Otherwise, leave him a mystery...

xNIXSONx
Well, for one, he'd be a lot more mysterious... You don't know HOW he became the Joker, all you know is that he IS the Joker, and he IS gonna kill people... And he IS a man of his word... (or so he says)

Not knowing how he came to be is a lot creepier imo... It's like the monster in a monster movie, how a lot of the really good ones never explain how the monster was created, and not knowing makes it that much scarier, if you get what I'm saying... I'd prefer Joker to just be there, maybe show ONE flashback to his comedy days or something, but that's it... Otherwise, leave him a mystery...

well for oneee, Nolan is a genious so he not only is making the Joker more mysterious like you want, (end of Batman Begins, all you get is this guy for example, taste for theatrics, leaves a calling card, and thats all you get). hence He is already Joker once you are watching Dark Knight and so im assuming a bit into the film we'll then be shown flashbacks are the appropriate time, not right away ofcourse.

Roulette

Darkhalen
Wow me too

Darth Jello
i don't know if anyone's brought this up but the one scene i've scene in which joker has smeared face paint, it looks like it's been smeared with a hand and it's an in interrogation room. Does anyone remember The Killing Joke, one of the best joker stories and a big inspiration for this movie? It starts out with batman confronting the joker in an interrogation room only to smear his makeup and realize that he's been tricked by an imposter and that the joker has escaped. Think about it.

atharpina
thats a good thought..but there have been several non smeared pics of the joker in places other than interrogation rooms

Darth Jello
no-smeared? doesn't that support my idea?

Juntai
Right now they're redoing the Joker Origin in Batman Confidential, some of it seems to coincide more with his movie look. Such as his big smile is from Batman slashing his face up with a Batarang.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.