Compulsory National DNA database

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Victor Von Doom
Would you favour the implementation of such a scheme in your country?

Let's imagine DNA samples were to be taken from all subsequently born babies, and over a length of time from existing people.

Why would you object, or agree, with such a program?

Actual reasoning would be nice.

PITT_HAPPENS

inimalist
gross violation of privacy rights?

inimalist
blah, stupid 15 min limit on editing posts

It would, imho, be akin to a national fingerprint database, which is also unconstitutional for the simple fact that the government is not allowed to collect information on innocent citizens.

Shakyamunison

PITT_HAPPENS
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
I agree. Therefore it must be voluntary or mandatory for convicted criminals only. Well for criminals it is already collected but doesn't do anything to catch new criminals. Making it a voluntary submission will not do any good to prevent crimes for the most part because the people that would volunteer this would normally commit crimes in the first place.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by PITT_HAPPENS
Well for criminals it is already collected but doesn't do anything to catch new criminals. Making it a voluntary submission will not do any good to prevent crimes for the most part because the people that would volunteer this would normally commit crimes in the first place.
I don't think you can make it mandatory, because criminals will just not do it.

inimalist
Well for criminals it is already collected but doesn't do anything to catch new criminals. Making it a voluntary submission will not do any good to prevent crimes for the most part because the people that would volunteer this would normally commit crimes in the first place.

whether or not it is a benefit to fighting crime is irrelevent

randomly taking people off the street and beating them would probably increase the amount of arrests. Searching every person's backpack on the street would also.

we have rights to protect us from these very things. The last thing we should be considering is how to give the government more power to arrest people

PITT_HAPPENS
I don't think you can make it mandatory, because criminals will just not do it. Didn't say you could but that information is already gathered if you are convicted of a crime and finger prints if you are arrested. Most jobs for the government already require you fingerprints to be on file to work for them.Originally posted by inimalist
whether or not it is a benefit to fighting crime is irrelevent

randomly taking people off the street and beating them would probably increase the amount of arrests. Searching every person's backpack on the street would also.

we have rights to protect us from these very things. The last thing we should be considering is how to give the government more power to arrest people I'm not saying it is right or that they can do it, just pointing out one of the possible benefits.

Shakyamunison
Didn't say you could but that information is already gathered if you are convicted of a crime and finger prints if you are arrested. Most jobs for the government already require you fingerprints to be on file to work for them. I'm not saying it is right or that they can do it, just pointing out one of the possible benefits.

And to work for the government is voluntary. I don't think we are disagreeing on anything.

inimalist
I'm not saying it is right or that they can do it, just pointing out one of the possible benefits.

LOL

very well then.

PITT_HAPPENS
And to work for the government is voluntary. I don't think we are disagreeing on anything. I disagree on agreeing, we must argue so give me your DNA so I can convert it to PHP and enter it in my MySQL to run Queries. stick out tongue

inimalist
I disagree on agreeing, we must argue so give me your DNA so I can convert it to PHP and enter it in my MySQL to run Queries. stick out tongue

can I convert your DNA into PCP?

PITT_HAPPENS
Originally posted by inimalist
can I convert your DNA into PCP? Popcorn Covered Poop stick out tongue

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by inimalist
can I convert your DNA into PCP?

I would rather convert it to THC. laughing

KidRock
I wouldnt be against it. If someone is raped and the perp leaves even a trace of DNA on the victim, they can run the DNA and boom you have your rapist.

I would have nothing to hide either so it wouldn't bother me at all.

Schecter
Originally posted by KidRock
\
I would have nothing to hide either so it wouldn't bother me at all.

spoken like a true fascist

KidRock
Originally posted by Schecter
spoken like a true fascist

I knew that was coming. I don't see why someone would be afraid of a system like this though.

If the thread was "the police have the right to arrest you over your political views" and I agreed with it, that would be pretty sick.

But this would easily help catch rapists and murderers.

inimalist
I knew that was coming. I don't see why someone would be afraid of a system like this though.

If the thread was "the police have the right to arrest you over your political views" and I agreed with it, that would be pretty sick.

but if history has taught us anything, it is that those in power are not interested in the well being of those who are not in power

Whats that quote, "not with a bang but with a whimper"?...

Shakyamunison

It simply would not work and cost too much.

PITT_HAPPENS

inimalist

Shakyamunison

PITT_HAPPENS

Creshosk
Something people forget is that DNA is not an end all be all. Like it the case of identical twins they share the same DNA. If one twin is the perpetrator the results will say that there is a 99.99% assuredly that they both did it.

In the case of semen there might not be any DNA found if there are no spermatozoa present.

PITT_HAPPENS
Originally posted by Creshosk
Something people forget is that DNA is not an end all be all. Like it the case of identical twins they share the same DNA. If one twin is the perpetrator the results will say that there is a 99.99% assuredly that they both did it.

In the case of semen there might not be any DNA found if there are no spermatozoa present. However that is only less than 5% of the population, if you had the DNA from a hair then you could also test for chemical traces in the hair which would be unique for each twin.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.