Harry Potter vs. Captain America

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Soljer
Since, by the forum rules, combatants begin half a kilometer apart, Harry should have ample time to fire off a couple spells before Cap destroys him in melee, or cuts him in half with his shield.

On the other hand, regular humans were capable of dodging spells, curses, or whatever so certainly Captain America could do similarly, at least for a while.

Then, we also would have to figure out whether Harry's rudimentary (compared to Marvel/DC Magicians) magic would work on Captain America's shield.

Hmmm...

Sam Z
Harry takes it.

guy222
Originally posted by Soljer
Since, by the forum rules, combatants begin half a kilometer apart, Harry should have ample time to fire off a couple spells before Cap destroys him in melee, or cuts him in half with his shield.

On the other hand, regular humans were capable of dodging spells, curses, or whatever so certainly Captain America could do similarly, at least for a while.

Then, we also would have to figure out whether Harry's rudimentary (compared to Marvel/DC Magicians) magic would work on Captain America's shield.

Hmmm...

harry ftw

Faceman
Shield hit to Harry face, for the win... laughing out loud

steverules
When did Cap last do battle with a dark lord wizard??

srankmissingnin
I doubt Harry would even see him coming.

Soljer
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
I doubt Harry would even see him coming.

Exactly what I was thinking.

As I mentioned, regular humans were dodging spells left and right during any fights in the book. Cap could do the same.

Then again, Harry's obviously the more powerful...

It's a glass cannon versus a hammer...

Caps Conscience
Cap does well against magic. Cap on shots him to neverland.

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Harry

Astner
ZOMG!!! Your shield broke my wand :'(

Scoobless
Originally posted by Astner
ZOMG!!! Your shield broke my wand :'(

And face.

ExtraMision5555
LOL
Harry would lose, what does harry know about dodgeing shields?

willRules
Originally posted by steverules
When did Cap last do battle with a dark lord wizard??

When was the last time Harry defused a terrorist threat devised by the Red Skull roll eyes (sarcastic)

This whole forum is now devolving into chaos with these types of threads............

Astner
Originally posted by Scoobless
And face.
I would say glases, but face cut it as well. big grin

Soljer
I hope Ill wasn't referring to me and this thread (or my The One/Monk/Captain America/John Preston thread) with his Zero Tolerance policy post.

I didn't mean for this to be a jab at the new rules.

The fight does indeed seem like it could go either way....it's like I said - Harry's a glass cannon. While he could conjure up hundreds of versatile and powerful spells, he could also get his skull caved in with a single punch from Steve.

Also; Cap's fought 'dark wizards' on several occasions...it IS marvel comics, afterall....

willRules
Sorry, I wasn't having a go at you personally or the mods or this thread. I just personally think that the idea to introduce non comic book characters into a comic book vs forum is not only illogical but extremely chaotic and must surely cause tons of unnecessary hassle and feedback (Like my own personal rant here) Sorry to rant, that's just how I feel yes

Skeets
Originally posted by willRules
Sorry, I wasn't having a go at you personally or the mods or this thread. I just personally think that the idea to introduce non comic book characters into a comic book vs forum is not only illogical but extremely chaotic and must surely cause tons of unnecessary hassle and feedback (Like my own personal rant here) Sorry to rant, that's just how I feel yes
It's better than debating Thanos vs Darkseid for the 20th time....

TricksterPriest
Originally posted by Skeets

True. *cough* Quanchi sucks. *cough* stick out tongue

willRules
Yeah, true yes

illadelph12
It wasn't you Soljer, it was actually Endless Mike that made it necessary with his Chuck Norris thread (which is why this thread is still open).

No beef with you dude.

*edit

Also, the expanded character roster isn't the cause of the hassle, it's the immature posters that are. You can have a good debate on Sub Zero vs. Human Torch without it resorting to insults so long as the parties involved stay on topic.

More options is better for creativity and to alleviate the stagnation that has beset this forum.

willRules
Good point. I don't want to sound like I was ranting, I just presumed that it would cause a lot of issues yes

SeerQris
Harry would put up a few protection spells before the fight started as to ward off potential shields and other melee attempts.

He would then proceed to try and cast his spells upon Captain America. If Captain america kept any distance at all then the fight would end in nothing happening. Should Captain America draw near then harry has the chance to kill him. Then captain can dodge but can he dodge forever? If he gets to close he will trigger one of Harry's protection traps.

If harry has any prep time he can use the invisibility cloak, then it's a bye bye captain for sure.

Avadra Kedavra FTW

Badabing
CA dodged lasers in zero G. Cap ftw.

The Great Ones
Harry goes up high with Broomstick, Cap cannot hit him.

Cap throws his shield, Cap looses his shield via summoning spell.

Game set and match. Harry FTW.

tooa/presence
Originally posted by Badabing
CA dodged lasers in zero G. Cap ftw.

he throws his sheild at harry. harry vaporizes it. then harry turns himself invisible and kicks captain america's ass

Badabing
Originally posted by tooa/presence
he throws his sheild at harry. harry vaporizes it. then harry turns himself invisible and kicks captain america's ass Cap's "aura" >>>>>>>>>magic. duryes

TricksterPriest
he throws his sheild at harry. harry vaporizes it. then harry turns himself invisible and kicks captain america's ass

"harry vaporizes it." Vaporize...........it? durno Vaporize the shield that has taken more hell than anything else in Marvel? That's perhaps the single most durable object on marvel earth? whatdur

tooa/presence
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
"harry vaporizes it." Vaporize...........it? durno Vaporize the shield that has taken more hell than anything else in Marvel? That's perhaps the single most durable object on marvel earth? whatdur

In Harry's world it wouldn't it be

Adamantium ring a bell

tooa/presence
Originally posted by Badabing
Cap's "aura" >>>>>>>>>magic. duryes eek!

Badabing
eek! laughing Sorry, I couldn't resist. stick out tongue

srankmissingnin
If Captain America throws his shield at Harry, the kid isn't even going to see it coming, let alone have enough time to react to it.

SeerQris
If Captain America throws his shield at Harry, the kid isn't even going to see it coming, let alone have enough time to react to it.

Protego Totalum
Pronunciation: pro-TAY-go/prah-TEH-go toh-TAH-lum (IPA: )
Description: Presumably does not allow anything to enter into the area protected by the spell.
Seen/Mentioned: In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, this is one of the spells used by Hermione and Harry to protect their camp site from unwanted visitors.

Duh Happy Dance

The shield aint comming in.

tooa/presence

at half a kilometer apart anybody could see it coming. besides look at the post above

srankmissingnin
Captain America has thrown that shield of his fast enough to catch up with missiles; it isn't even going to register in Potter's mind before it hits him upside the head. The bell rings, Harry gets, maybe, two syllables into "Protego Totalum" before Cap's shield folds him like a lawn chair and he spends the next two years of his life in physiotherapy.

ExtraMision5555
Originally posted by Skeets

your posts have been phenominal lately

ExtraMision5555
Originally posted by illadelph12
It wasn't you Soljer, it was actually Endless Mike that made it necessary with his Chuck Norris thread (which is why this thread is still open).

No beef with you dude.

*edit

Also, the expanded character roster isn't the cause of the hassle, it's the immature posters that are. You can have a good debate on Sub Zero vs. Human Torch without it resorting to insults so long as the parties involved stay on topic.

More options is better for creativity and to alleviate the stagnation that has beset this forum.

you are a genius.

Tork
Cap ftw.

ExtraMision5555
a real debate can be had here
i am so excited
!!!

SeerQris
Captain America has thrown that shield of his fast enough to catch up with missiles; it isn't even going to register in Potter's mind before it hits him upside the head. The bell rings, Harry gets, maybe, two syllables into "Protego Totalum" before Cap's shield folds him like a lawn chair and he spends the next two years of his life in physiotherapy.

"Since, by the forum rules, combatants begin half a kilometer apart, Harry should have ample time to fire off a couple spells before Cap destroys him in melee"

This is fromt he first post btw.

(Listen... im just having some fun here. Captain America clearly ownz Harry Potter. He ownz harry's skies and grounds. But that won't stop me from exploiting Harry Potter's luck to orchestrate some scenario in which he winz)

ExtraMision5555
But that protection spell
That COULD
do harry some good right?
Doesnt harry have a broomstick?

I swear harry could accidently scratch out a kill

leonheartmm
cmon people. their is a height of fanboyism. protego will take affect BEFORE cap's shield hits. also remember that harry's wands can do magic by itself at times. expelliarmus, and there goes cap's shield out of his hands. then he is at harry's mercy. crucui{he doesnt have to say it, he just has to mean it}. wingardium leviosa{upskirt view of cap's to finally take care of the lebian in a man's disguise question}. knock him unconcious. spectumsempra, goodbye cap and maybe even the shield{remember it has no prtection against mystical attacks}.

deathly hollows wand of destiny. PLUS, harry can never die unless voldermort dies. hes the final hocrux. not to mention he can summon his firebolt and speed away from cap and his shield cause the shield cant change direction midway. {btw cap throwing his shield faster then a missile is plot device}.

SeerQris
Seconded. I really havn't been giving Harry his all.

ExtraMision5555
Originally posted by leonheartmm
cmon people. their is a height of fanboyism. protego will take affect BEFORE cap's shield hits. also remember that harry's wands can do magic by itself at times. expelliarmus, and there goes cap's shield out of his hands. then he is at harry's mercy. crucui{he doesnt have to say it, he just has to mean it}. wingardium leviosa{upskirt view of cap's to finally take care of the lebian in a man's disguise question}. knock him unconcious. spectumsempra, goodbye cap and maybe even the shield{remember it has no prtection against mystical attacks}.

deathly hollows wand of destiny. PLUS, harry can never die unless voldermort dies. hes the final hocrux. not to mention he can summon his firebolt and speed away from cap and his shield cause the shield cant change direction midway. {btw cap throwing his shield faster then a missile is plot device}.
EDIT

SeerQris
yolaven

ExtraMision5555
Originally posted by SeerQris
SPOILER ALERT

erand I wont give harry immortality for this fight.

oops

i better censor that

Edit that quote qris

Stupid Rookie
harry FTW. "Wingardium Leviosa" and the shield and Caps are both suspended in mid-air. quickly disabling him.

llagrok
Originally posted by leonheartmm

Assuming that Harry actually has a chance to react.

SeerQris
Originally posted by llagrok

"Since, by the forum rules, combatants begin half a kilometer apart, Harry should have ample time to fire off a couple spells before Cap destroys him in melee"

This is from the first post btw.

ExtraMision5555
Halfa KM apart? More than enough time

llagrok
Harry has auto-aim on all his spells?

SeerQris
dang i gotta eat. =(

SeerQris

protego totalum is area effect. Don't need auto aim.

So there's a shield for himself just as good as Magnetos! (maybe even better...actually better)

ExtraMision5555

Harry uses an aimbot with his wand
you didnt know that?

lol
but seriously

I didnt say he would HIT
but cast? absolutely

ExtraMision5555
protego totalum is area effect. Don't need auto aim.

So there's a shield for himself just as good as Magnetos! (maybe even better...actually better)

definately better
just not as long lasting

SeerQris
He also has ample time to put on the invisibility cloak. Which NOTHING can see past.

llagrok
and Harry's spells are faster than bullets?

SeerQris

protection is instant. Spell is cast, sheild is up. It's really simple.

After the shield is up I dunno what Cap is gonna send harry's way that will bare any fruit.

ExtraMision5555

About as fast as the one that killed cap, but definately faster than a fist, or a shield

that should work

SeerQris
Originally posted by ExtraMision5555
About as fast as the one that killed cap, but definately faster than a fist, or a shield

that should work
rofl

llagrok
Fortunately Cap won't be cuffed, wearing power dampeners or be shot by a sniper he can't see/his ex.

ExtraMision5555
Fortunately Cap won't be cuffed, wearing power dampeners or be shot by a sniper he can't see/his ex.

LoL

But How do you know?

NiņoAraņa
Captain Freaking America for the win. Half a KM is nothing for a shield throw

Harry Fingerman
The weird thing is, Cap knew the sniper was there, and could have dodged at any time...
In fact, I think he jumped in front of the bullet.

srankmissingnin

The most important word in that sentence is "should". Soljer was banking on half a k being enough of a distance for Harry to get a spell off before Cap puts him down... but it isn't. Cap's shield would, not should, would clear that in a fraction of a second. Harry isn't going to have enough to think "oh shit, I'm about to get hit by a shield" let alone cast a spell.

TricksterPriest
Originally posted by Harry Fingerman
The weird thing is, Cap knew the sniper was there, and could have dodged at any time...
In fact, I think he jumped in front of the bullet.

I thought he was taking a bullet for a civilian? confused

tooa/presence
At half a kilometer apart Harry would win. If the battle was like 10 feet away Captain America would win.

shksprtx
Dur, me bad...

tooa/presence
Originally posted by shksprtx
Dur, me bad...

fanboy

pr1983

Hmmm...

Give me one good reason why i shouldnt close this, and i wont... erm

tooa/presence
Originally posted by pr1983
Give me one good reason why i shouldnt close this, and i wont... erm

because harry could actually win

because it's not against the rules

i gave 2 reasons

pr1983
because harry could actually win

because it's not against the rules

i gave 2 reasons

you've got a (how old is he now?) wizard against a battle hardened, genetically superior world war two veteran...

one way or another, this looks like a spite thread to me...

tooa/presence
you've got a (how old is he now?) wizard against a battle hardened, genetically superior world war two veteran...

one way or another, this looks like a spite thread to me...

have you even read the harry potter series? eek!

pr1983
have you even read the harry potter series? eek!

No, i actually haven't, and with good reason imo... the guy just irritates the shit out of me...

tooa/presence
No, i actually haven't, and with good reason imo... the guy just irritates the shit out of me...

ha ha i figured. Harry at half a kilometer away would win. It doesn't matter if cap can throw his shield at missile speeds. It would still be enough time for harry to yell protego or something. Besides he doesn't even have to yell the spell, he can just think and mean it in his mind. Thinking is faster than physical reaction. There would be too many ways for cap to lose at half a kilometer away.

BTW Harry is 36 at the end of the 7th book (19 years pass in the epilogue).

Besides Harry is owner of the Deathly Hollows so he can't die, but I think the thread topic took away Harry's immortality for the fight. But if knocking the person unconscious means victor I guess immortality wouldn't matter.

pr1983
So it is a spite thread then, in favour of Harry?

tooa/presence
So it is a spite thread then, in favour of Harry?

Well if killing the person is the way to win and Harry has the Deathly hollows... yes.

At half a kilometer away i really dont see captain america winning much, if any.

At ten feet away i really don't see harry winning much if any.

Probably a distant between the two might make a good battle, assuming Harry doesn't have the Deathly Hollows.

pr1983
Well if killing the person is the way to win and Harry has the Deathly hollows... yes.

At half a kilometer away i really dont see captain america winning much, if any.

At ten feet away i really don't see harry winning much if any.

Probably a distant between the two might make a good battle, assuming Harry doesn't have the Deathly Hollows.

Alright, against my better judgement, i'll leave it open for now...

xmarksthespot
The most important word in that sentence is "should". Soljer was banking on half a k being enough of a distance for Harry to get a spell off before Cap puts him down... but it isn't. Cap's shield would, not should, would clear that in a fraction of a second. Harry isn't going to have enough to think "oh shit, I'm about to get hit by a shield" let alone cast a spell. Captain America likely wins because spells and hexes can be dodged as already mentioned. But define fraction of a second. Because even if I take you to mean .99 s it still means you're under the impression he can throw a shield at Mach 1.5; if I take you to mean something along the lines of .1 seconds it means you're under the impression he can throw his shield at Mach 15.

no expression

llagrok
Half a KM, Cap doesn't need a lot of time to close that gap. Let alone hurl his shield across it.

tooa/presence
Half a KM, Cap doesn't need a lot of time to close that gap. Let alone hurl his shield across it.

ok by the time cap lets go of the sheild harry could have said expelliaramos or however you spell it or accio shield or just have thought either one in his mind and the shield would no longer be a factor. then harry would use protego totalum which would protect and conceive himself. Now that he's invisible he sneaks up on cap since he can't be detected and cap doesn't have a spider sense and mutters the crutaceos curse causing cap pain and before cap is done reacting to the pain harry avada kedevra's his ass ftw.

SnazzySmurph
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Captain America likely wins because spells and hexes can be dodged as already mentioned. But define fraction of a second. Because even if I take you to mean .99 s it still means you're under the impression he can throw a shield at Mach 1.5; if I take you to mean something along the lines of .1 seconds it means you're under the impression he can throw his shield at Mach 15.

no expression You mean he can't? ermmfrown

Sparkz
ok by the time cap lets go of the sheild harry could have said expelliaramos or however you spell it or accio shield or just have thought either one in his mind and the shield would no longer be a factor. then harry would use protego totalum which would protect and conceive himself. Now that he's invisible he sneaks up on cap since he can't be detected and cap doesn't have a spider sense and mutters the crutaceos curse causing cap pain and before cap is done reacting to the pain harry avada kedevra's his ass ftw.

Would the expeliamous work on Cap? Granted I'v only seen 1 films but its 1 thing knocking a wand out of 15 year old hand but to knock a sheild away from a super solider I dno I can see Cap holding onto it...

tooa/presence
Originally posted by Sparkz
Would the expeliamous work on Cap? Granted I'v only seen 1 films but its 1 thing knocking a wand out of 15 year old hand but to knock a sheild away from a super solider I dno I can see Cap holding onto it...

magic>raw strength

and besides cap would be getting ready to release the shield so he wouldn't expect it.

and besides that, harry really wouldn't have to even take the sheild away to win. he has other options that could do the job.

Soljer
As far as why this thread could/should remain open - as has been noted, it's totally within the rules, and it isn't a spite thread in either direction.

Plenty have people have been in favour of Harry, plenty have been in favour of Cap. As I said, Harry's a glass cannon - plenty powerful, but with scrawny-teenage-boy-durability.

If he can tag Cap with a single body bind (whatever the hell it's called), or some other disabling-jinx, he should win. If he can't hit Cap before Cap can close the distance/shield throw half a kilometer, Cap would stomp him.

It just depends on which you think is more likely.

As far as shield charms go, I dunno if Harry'd want to put one of those up. I recall it separating two wizards, and preventing spells from going through. I DON'T recall it preventing a mach-speed shield from going through. Harry'd be disabling himself by not being able to fire a spell through a shield charm dealie.

erm.

illadelph12
This thread is ok PR. Soljer just came up with a clever topic that has adamant supporters on both sides.

And at least it's not a vs Superman thread.

Superherovandal
Harry has plenty more options than Cap. he can easily make caps shield useless to him. make his body useless to him with a body bind, levitate him and make him unable to move, put up plenty of protective spells etc. Harry 8-9/10

pr1983
This thread is ok PR. Soljer just came up with a clever topic that has adamant supporters on both sides.

And at least it's not a vs Superman thread.

bit late... stick out tongue

Soljer
Originally posted by Superherovandal
Harry has plenty more options than Cap. he can easily make caps shield useless to him. make his body useless to him with a body bind, levitate him and make him unable to move, put up plenty of protective spells etc. Harry 8-9/10

Indeed. He could do ANY of that - assuming the side of his skull isn't caved in, or his head removed before he gets the chance.

Cap can cover the half a kilometer in about thirty five seconds on foot. His shield could cover the distance a LOT faster. I don't think I specified EXACTLY where they fight, but assuming there is ANYTHING in the general vicinity, Cap could also use a dozen richochets to obliterate potter. I VERY much doubt that Harry would ever see the shield coming - especially if Cap throws it to the side of harry, and has it smack him in the back of the head - thus also elminating the use of a shield charm.

Cap can dodge bullets all day long, without even trying, Harry'd have to get VERY - VERY lucky to be able to tag him with any jinx or curse first, and I don't think I recall Harry ever managing a area-effect spell. It's not like he knows that fiend fire, or whatever it was.

Soljer
I made a mistake - Cap can cover an entire kilometer in about thirty five seconds. He could cover half of one in, obviously, about half that time. 18.6 seconds or so.

illadelph12
How fast can Cap toss his shield?

Soljer
How fast can Cap toss his shield?

Unclear - it's never been directly stated or anything. Fast enough to intercept a hammer throw from thor, fast enough to intercept bullets after they've been fired, fast enough to catch up with an intercontinental missile after it's been fired.

Unless you would rather just entirely disregard those feats, in which case we really have very little to go on. All we really know is fast as all hell, erm.

illadelph12
How far off was the missile? Do you have a scan?

I think Cap wins (as Potter is frail), but I just want something tangible, ya dig.

Soljer
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/1526/captainamericav302535ux1.jpg

There is Cap hitting a high-flying Helicopter with his shield.

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/5655/captainamericav302709vk0.jpg

Here is the missile feat.

tooa/presence
The shield might be fast but Captain America's arm throw takes more time than the shield traveling. Expelliarmus would disarm Caps shield before he even released it. Then Harry could turn invisible and put protection spells and what not. After Harry does that there is no way Captain America could win.

llagrok
The shield might be fast but Captain America's arm throw takes more time than the shield traveling. Expelliarmus would disarm Caps shield before he even released it. Then Harry could turn invisible and put protection spells and what not. After Harry does that there is no way Captain America could win.

lol.

srankmissingnin
ha ha i figured. Harry at half a kilometer away would win. It doesn't matter if cap can throw his shield at missile speeds. It would still be enough time for harry to yell protego or something. Besides he doesn't even have to yell the spell, he can just think and mean it in his mind. Thinking is faster than physical reaction. There would be too many ways for cap to lose at half a kilometer away.

... How would Harry have enough time to react if Cap can throw his shield at missile speeds? Thats Mach speeds we are talking about. Ridiculous? Maybe but thats how fast Captain America can throw his shield. Do you think he would be able to get the spell off before Captain America has thrown his shield? Captain America can see bullets in slow-mo, his perception and reaction time are through the roof, he is operating on a level that Harry couldn't even dream off. Captain America will have ample time to judge his trajectory, think about what he wants to eat for dinner, wonder if he remember to look his front door and throw his shield before Harry's mind as even registered that bell signalling the fight has rung. If Captain America was Johny Averageman then sure Harry would be able to get a spell off before he was clocked up side the head by a shield but he isn't, he is Captain America.

grey fox

Superhuman reflexes >>>>> 17 year old fed on a poor diet with little exercise reflexes

tooa/presence
Originally posted by grey fox
Superhuman reflexes >>>>> 17 year old fed on a poor diet with little exercise reflexes

obviously you haven't read the harry potter series

srankmissingnin

You think Harry is going to beat Captain America in a quick draw?

What the f**k?

... do you even know who Captain America is? You seem to be under the impression he is a rent a cop or something.

llagrok

What in those books led you to believe that Harry has better reflexes than Cap?

tooa/presence
... How would Harry have enough time to react if Cap can throw his shield at missile speeds? Thats Mach speeds we are talking about. Ridiculous? Maybe but thats how fast Captain America can throw his shield. Do you think he would be able to get the spell off before Captain America has thrown his shield? Captain America can see bullets in slow-mo, his perception and reaction time are through the roof, he is operating on a level that Harry couldn't even dream off. Captain America will have ample time to judge his trajectory, think about what he wants to eat for dinner, wonder if he remember to look his front door and throw his shield before Harry's mind as even registered that bell signalling the fight has rung. If Captain America was Johny Averageman then sure Harry would be able to get a spell off before he was clocked up side the head by a shield but he isn't, he is Captain America.

eek!
How could Harry not have time to react is the better question. Do you realize that Captain America has to actually THROW the shield first or did you think the shield would be traveling Mach speed at Harry by itself right when the fight began?

Soljer

Absolutely dick, erm.

llagrok
eek!
How could Harry not have time to react is the better question. Do you realize that Captain America has to actually THROW the shield first or did you think the shield would be traveling Mach speed at Harry by itself right when the fight began?

Once again, what makes you think that Harry has better reaction time or reflexes than Cap?

tooa/presence

Harry isn't 17 anymore. I wasn't talking about reflexes.

Soljer
eek!

For Captain America, throwing a shield takes a LOT less time than it would take Harry to utter a single syllable....

xmarksthespot
... How would Harry have enough time to react if Cap can throw his shield at missile speeds? Thats Mach speeds we are talking about. Ridiculous? Maybe but thats how fast Captain America can throw his shield. Out of curiosity, under the same situation as this thread do you think Captain America would beat Sue Richards or Zatanna or the like....

(NB I've also stated thinking Captain America wins)

This is beginning to remind me of the whole Wolverineblitz thing... messed

tooa/presence
Once again, what makes you think that Harry has better reaction time or reflexes than Cap?

What makes you think Captain America can think, move his arm back and then forward again faster than Harry can think Expelliarmus (since wizards don't have to say the spells aloud they just have to think and mean it)?

Ohreally?
Me and Judge intend to go to all our forums and let the anime, Star Wars, Harry Potter, street fighter, mortal kombat fans know about this, they want a forum like this and they will have it.

Not only that but you will get ALL those fans of them topics from this site to come here, the anime section will be told, everyone, you will be over run and me and Judge will sock and troll and create topic after topic. We don't like this rule so we arte gonna make the mods hate it as well. Have fun with the anime fans etc being here.

The comment will be deleted so i am saving it for future use.

llagrok
Harry isn't 17 anymore. I wasn't talking about reflexes.

Soljer
What makes you think Captain America can think, move his arm back and then forward again faster than Harry can think Expelliarmus (since wizards don't have to say the spells aloud they just have to think and mean it)?

Because Harry has shown an inability to cast non-verbal spells - it was detailed in the half blood prince, if I recall correctly. He's never shown the ability to cast a nonverbal spell, to my memory.

Which may be faulty, but may not be.

And, if he HASN'T shown the capability, we can't just assume that he 'picked it up' along the way.

illadelph12
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/1526/captainamericav302535ux1.jpg

There is Cap hitting a high-flying Helicopter with his shield.

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/5655/captainamericav302709vk0.jpg

Here is the missile feat.

Isn't Goliath hanging on the front of the missile slowing it down though?

And Cap can toss that shield 546 yards in a split second? Neither of those scans showed him covering that great a distance in a split second.

Symmetric Chaos
Because Harry has shown an inability to cast non-verbal spells - it was detailed in the half blood prince, if I recall correctly. He's never shown the ability to cast a nonverbal spell, to my memory.

And, if he HASN'T shown the capability, we can't just assume that he 'picked it up' along the way.

His wand can shoot for him.

illadelph12

Correct. thumb up

srankmissingnin
Out of curiosity, under the same situation as this thread do you think Captain America would beat Sue Richards.

(NB I've also stated thinking Captain America wins)

This is beginning to remind me of the whole Wolverineblitz thing... messed

Yeah I think Cap would take Sue in the same situation. In terms of her speed and reaction time she is an average woman, Captain America isn't an average man by any stretch of the imagination. He can see bullets in slow-mo, his reaction time and perception are off the charts, they can't even be compared to someone like Sue Richards. Against a blood lusted Captain America, she'd get koed before she even released the fight had started. Sure it only takes a single thought for her to put up a shield but Captain America thinks and moves faster then she could ever dream of.

tooa/presence

False. Levicorpus- makes the person go upside down by the ankles.

Harry has even proven to be able to do magic without a wand, though he doesn't do it that often.

llagrok
Yeah I think Cap would take Sue in the same situation. In terms of her speed and reaction time she is an average woman, Captain America isn't an average man by any stretch of the imagination. He can see bullets in slow-mo, his reaction time and perception are off the charts, they can't even be compared to someone like Sue Richards. Against a blood lusted Captain America, she'd get koed before she even released the fight had started. Sure it only takes a single thought for her to put up a shield but Captain America thinks and moves faster then she could ever dream of.

If they started 0.5 KM apart, she would be able to get up a shield.

tooa/presence
Correct. thumb up
thumb down He's wrong.

srankmissingnin

Because he has low level superhuman speed and recation time, where as Harry is average at best in those areas?

xmarksthespot
Yeah I think Cap would take Sue in the same situation. In terms of her speed and reaction time she is an average woman, Captain America isn't an average man by any stretch of the imagination. He can see bullets in slow-mo, his reaction time and perception are off the charts, they can't even be compared to someone like Sue Richards. Against a blood lusted Captain America, she'd get koed before she even released the fight had started. Sure it only takes a single thought for her to put up a shield but Captain America thinks and moves faster then she could ever dream of. So just to be crystal clear under the standard forum rules as amended by ill, you give Captain America the win over the Invisible Woman...

Zatanna?
Emma Frost?
Cyclops?

grey fox

laughing

I've read EVERY book , really what does a NORMAL HUMAN have that can compete with his GENETIC AND PHYSICAL SUPERIOR.

Symmetric Chaos
laughing

I've read EVERY book , really what does a NORMAL HUMAN have that can compete with his GENETIC AND PHYSICAL SUPERIOR.

Dunno . . . magic no expression

stick out tongue

srankmissingnin
So just to be crystal clear under the standard forum rules as amended by ill, you give Captain America the win over the Invisible Woman...

Zatanna?
Emma Frost?
Cyclops?

The rules were changed?

tooa/presence
Because he has low level superhuman speed and recation time, where as Harry is average at best in those areas?
Just because his reflexes are superhuman doesn't mean his mind is. Thinking is different from reflexes.

xmarksthespot
The rules were changed? The standard rules now entail similar stipulations as this thread i.e. characters start half a kilometre apart.

illadelph12

How did you extrapolate that from the forum rules? I simply amended the rules to curb the "speedblitz" one-liner answers that are so prevalent, to make people actually have to think about a fleshed out battle scenario, and to provide more character options.

Sue would kill Cap.

Harry, on the other hand, as has been displayed in this thread, doesn't have the evidence to support his side's claims.

If it's provided it may sway my view.

tooa/presence
laughing

If you read the book you would have known Harry is 36 now. Either that or you must have really poor reading skills.

And Harry isn't a NORMAL HUMAN. He's a wizard.

tooa/presence
How did you extrapolate that from the forum rules? I simply amended the rules to curb the "speedblitz" one-liner answers that are so prevalent, to make people actually have to think about a fleshed out battle scenario, and to provide more character options.

Sue would kill Cap.

Harry, on the other hand, as has been displayed in this thread, doesn't have the evidence to support his side's claims.

If it's provided it may sway my view.

Do I have to repeat myself. Harry performed Levicorpus nonverbally.

Harry has also done magic without his wand.

llagrok
If you read the book you would have known Harry is 36 now. Either that or you must have really poor reading skills.

Yes, he is a wizard-retard.

Does being a wizard enhance your physical features to superhuman or peak human?

Symmetric Chaos

Harry never became retarded erm

He's still a normalish wizard.

illadelph12
Dammit, quoted the wrong post...

xmarksthespot
How did you extrapolate that from the forum rules? I simply amended the rules to curb the "speedblitz" one-liner answers that are so prevalent, to make people actually have to think about a fleshed out battle scenario, and to provide more character options. The part about the standard battlefield being half a kilometre basically, and the notion that in a fraction of a second the shield would traverse that distance and basically decapitate any opponent without reflexes on par with Cap before they could take action, which seems to be the thought of the day.

Edit: Meh I'll just leave this here even though it's a clarification based on a misquote...

tooa/presence
edit

srankmissingnin
Heres what I think. I think Captain America has superhuman speed, reaction time and perceives the world in slow motion in comparison to normal humans. Half a kilometer away we are looking at quick draw contest and against Sue (and Zatanna, Emma Frost, Cyclops), I think Captain America is faster on the draw. He thinks faster then all four of them and he moves faster then they do also.

grey fox

And Harry isn't a NORMAL HUMAN. He's a wizard, retard.

And the difference in age means what ? Nothing.

He still eats unhealthily and barely exercises, also how does magic make any difference to Harry's reflexes or anything to do with his actual physical body AT ALL (Save slowing aging)

tooa/presence
Yes, he is a wizard-retard.

Does being a wizard enhance your physical features to superhuman or peak human?

Yes. In the book Harry was told that his mom and dad died by a car crash. Hagrid was in disbelief at this and told Harry that a car crash wouldn't kill great wizards/witches like Harry's parents (superhuman). Harry has also shown superhuman physical features in quidditch matches.

grey fox
Yes. In the book Harry was told that his mom and dad died by a car crash. Hagrid was in disbelief at this and told Harry that a car crash wouldn't kill great wizards/witches like Harry's parents (superhuman). Harry has also shown superhuman physical features in quidditch matches.

....because the word of a absent minded man who takes 'gifts' from pubs, gets frequently drunk and is blood related to a species whose idea of intelligence is the ability to make rudimentary items should obviously be taken as law.

Also he could just be describing that other wizards could heal Harry's parents with magic.

The only noticable effect magic has on the body is slowing the affects of aging.

xmarksthespot
Heres what I think. I think Captain America has superhuman speed, reaction time and perceives the world in slow motion in comparison to normal humans. Half a kilometer away we are looking at quick draw contest and against Sue (and Zatanna, Emma Frost, Cyclops), I think Captain America is faster on the draw. He thinks faster then all four of them and he moves faster then they do also. You really think Captain America can aim, go through the movement required to throw a large metal shield, and that the shield can traverse half a kilometer; all before Cyclops could push a button on his palm, Emma can think "Stop." Sue can think "Bubble." and Zatanna can think "Eid."

erm

tooa/presence
And the difference in age means what ? Nothing.
eek! Except for the 19 years of experience he gains. I wish i knew how to do that thing where the smile pounds his head.
He still eats unhealthily and barely exercises, also how does magic make any difference to Harry's reflexes or anything to do with his actual physical body AT ALL (Save slowing aging)

Eats unhealty and barely exercises? WTH?

Sparkz

But would that be the first thing Harry even chooses to do?? Cap throwing his sheild is pretty much what we expect but for harry what if decides to use something offensive first and cap dodges and throws the sheild, Hell how do we know Cap won't be able to dodge the expelliamus thing? I'm not sure if you can or not does it levitate the sheild it self or is it just a bolt of magic which knocks it away? cause if its just something to knock it away cap has held onto it while being hit by the likes of Hulk and whatnot...

tooa/presence
....because the word of a absent minded man who takes 'gifts' from pubs, gets frequently drunk and is blood related to a species whose idea of intelligence is the ability to make rudimentary items should obviously be taken as law.

Also he could just be describing that other wizards could heal Harry's parents with magic.

The only noticable effect magic has on the body is slowing the affects of aging.

If you won't take proof from the book, why should I take proof from the comics? I might as well say the comic book writers are retarded and what were they thinking making that shield faster than a missile and Spiderman should beat the LT because he looks cooler.

srankmissingnin
You really think Captain America can aim, go through the movement required to throw a large metal shield, and that the shield can traverse half a kilometer; all before Cyclops could push a button on his palm, Emma can think "Stop." Sue can think "Bubble." and Zatanna can think "Eid."

erm

Who else on that list, other the Captain America, has the ability to perceive bullets in slow-motion? No one. Even if I was generous to the other four and said that Captain America's thought process was only twice as fast was theirs... the fact that that though process is coupled with speed and reflexes vastly superior to any of them would be enough for him to beat them on the quick draw. Captain America has a superhuman mind, Sue Richards, Cyclops, Zatanna and Emma Frost do not.

tooa/presence
Originally posted by Sparkz
But would that be the first thing Harry even chooses to do?? Cap throwing his sheild is pretty much what we expect but for harry what if decides to use something offensive first and cap dodges and throws the sheild, Hell how do we know Cap won't be able to dodge the expelliamus thing? I'm not sure if you can or not does it levitate the sheild it self or is it just a bolt of magic which knocks it away? cause if its just something to knock it away cap has held onto it while being hit by the likes of Hulk and whatnot...

Yes it knocks it away because that's what the spell does and being hit by the likes of Hulk is inconsequential because this is magic we are talking about, not brute strength.

illadelph12
Wow, this thread is turning out a lot better than I'd initially thought.

Good sh*t Soljer. thumb up

jinzin
This pretty much proves it for cyclops at least,

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/5113/vnewsentinalgb3.jpg

Cyc's eyes can't interpret the movements of a prime sentinal to the point where he can't even track him.

Wolverine makes short work of him easily and has no problems locking onto his target.
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/2576/vnewsentinal2ud4.jpg

xmarksthespot
Who else on that list, other the Captain America, has the ability to perceive bullets in slow-motion? No one. Even if I was generous to the other four and said that Captain America's thought process was only twice as fast was theirs... the fact that that though process is coupled with speed and reflexes vastly superior to any of them would be enough for him to beat them on the quick draw. Captain America has a superhuman mind, Sue Richards, Cyclops, Zatanna and Emma Frost do not. Reaction times can be measured by catching a ruler in the real world. Most normal people outside of a comic can do so at somewhere between 10-20 cm drop which roughly equates to a .2 second reaction time - this includes the thought and action in catching said ruler. Even saying that Cap takes no reaction time whatsoever, or time to aim and no time to move to perform the action required to throw the shield, it would require it to traverse the distance between at Mach 7-8 - in which case why bother with the shield when he can just sonic boom them. The fastest any thrown object can travel in the horizontal plane is at the point at which it's thrown. This is to hit your average human in the real world - not trained, honed superheroes. no expression

(I'd actually suggest an amendment to the rules regarding the speed of thought - to having a rule about normal reaction time - ill, pr?)

(On an aside Emma Frost, and telepaths in general can interpret a lifetime's worth of information in seconds to minutes - so saying that they don't have superhuman brains is flawed)

Sparkz
Yes it knocks it away because that's what the spell does and being hit by the likes of Hulk is inconsequential because this is magic we are talking about, not brute strength.

Yes its magic, but is this an actual you will drop your sheild spell and there is no way to stop this, or is this magical energy being used in the manner of physical force to make you drop the sheild. Just because its magic dsnt mean it might not be using brute force...

srankmissingnin
Reaction times can be measured by catching a ruler in the real world. Most normal people outside of a comic can do so at somewhere between 10-20 cm drop which roughly equates to a .2 second reaction time - this includes the thought and action in catching said ruler. Even saying that Cap takes no reaction time whatsoever, or time to aim and no time to move to perform the action required to throw the shield, it would require it to traverse the distance between at Mach 7-8 - in which case why bother with the shield when he can just sonic boom them. The fastest any thrown object can travel in the horizontal plane is at the point at which it's thrown. This is to hit your average human in the real world - not trained, honed superheroes. no expression

(I'd actually suggest an amendment to the rules regarding the speed of thought - to having a rule about normal reaction time - ill, pr?)

(On an aside Emma Frost, and telepaths in general can interpret a lifetime's worth of information in seconds to minutes - so saying that they don't have superhuman brains is flawed)

confused

Did you just say that Captain America would need to throw his shield at mach 8 to hit a normal person?

xmarksthespot
confused

Did you just say that Captain America would need to throw his shield at mach 8 to hit a normal person? More rather I said to hit someone across a distance of 500 metres within .2 seconds i.e. before they'd have time to react/think at all; and under the assumption that it takes Captain America 0 seconds to react himself, and perform the movement required to aim and throw.

Another hypothetical to save me making any thread. Flash vs Cap, Flash can't start until half a second has passed and has no healing factor. Would Cap beat him on the quickdraw?

srankmissingnin
There is a difference though. You can catch the ruler .2 seconds because you know its going to fall, more over, you know you are going to drop it with the sole purpose of catching it again. And that is just the reaction speed of your hands/fingers. Maybe Sue could react to Cap's shield in .2 seconds... but thats assuming she sees it coming. Assuming the shield was moving at Mach 1 would her mind even register the shield? If there is no sensory stimuli then why would she react at all? In her mind there would be no need to for it.

xmarksthespot
On what basis are we assuming that Cap throws at Mach 1? That he constantly breaks the sound barrier when he punches things? erm

Characters are primed for the fight, they know they're fighting and who they're fighting. Why wouldn't Sue put up a defensive shield, or Emma/Zatanna think "Stop" and "Pots" respectively?

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>