The Host

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

InnerRise
"The Host" SUCKED "The Most"

This movie was very bland. It provided no scares. The Climax was weak. It did have some funny parts though, which was surprising and good enough.

In my opinion, the movie reached its peak within the first 20 minutes and only went down from there.

One minor grudge of mine was that the girl's father looked as if he could have been her brother. Took me a while (I was in denial) to accept the fact that he was her father in the movie.

Anata Wa Wakarimasu Ka.....

Solo
It's just great campy goodness through and through. If you're looking for anything more, you're silly. One of the best horror movies I've seen in a while.

The special effects are incredible! This should be in the horror or foreign forum, by the way.

BackFire
Movie was wonderful. Very imaginative and inventive. Fun, sad, thought provoking with a bit of social/political commentary. Very cool monster.

Myth
I loved it because of the characters. Its one of very few monster movies that takes the time to concentrate on their personal struggles.

=Tired Hiker=
I love this movie. Best movie I've seen in months.

MildPossession
The Host is fantastic, there is a sequel on the way too. Oh and an American remake unfortunately.

moonknight11
Awesome movie can't wait for the sequel.

InnerRise
Originally posted by MildPossession
The Host is fantastic, there is a sequel on the way too. Oh and an American remake unfortunately.

Hopefully both the sequel and remake will be much better.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Fatima
hmm ..I guess I'm going to download it now .. big grin

Anata wa wakarimasu ka ..

WrathfulDwarf
I'm planning on watching this film.

However, I saw Cloverfield recently and I was wondering is it as good or below the level?

Or is it just a complete different style of monster movie.

BackFire
Very different.

Better, though.

WrathfulDwarf
Alright, I'm going to see it.

But only because you approve it.

Endrict Nuul
Meh, it was alright.

llagrok
Funny, but disappointing.

kodak
i love it.

Micheal_Myers
I watched this after people on another forum constantly subjected it to comparisons of Cloverfield. Needless to say...I was dissapointed....I did not enjoy this film.

WrathfulDwarf
Saw it and love it!

Full review....another time.

Lord Shadow Z
Watched this with my brother on DVD and thought it was brilliant. The monster could have been a bit more frightening but overall it kept us entertained.

The comic parts also really lift the movie in the same way that Tremors does; it certainly is more like that than any other monster movie.

Mairuzu
Was nothing compared to cloverfield in my opinion

but it was... alright...

Impediment
I loved it, personally. It's a breath of fresh air, in my opinion.

nyko
Originally posted by Impediment
I loved it, personally. It's a breath of fresh air, in my opinion. Word.

I got it on dvd the other day and have justed watched it now. Thoroughly enjoyed it, will definately be watching the sequel when it's released, and possibly the american remake - just so I can appreciate the original more.

Jovan
Originally posted by InnerRise

One minor grudge of mine was that the girl's father looked as if he could have been her brother. Took me a while (I was in denial) to accept the fact that he was her father in the movie.

I had the same problem! But compared to you: I liked it ... bit funny, but of course nothing that great

The_Dormouse
I think this is the movie my other half and I have been looking for at the library. The database says it's checked in, but since we can't find it...most likely someone stole it.....................

WrathfulDwarf
I gave The Host a second try...this time I liked it even more. The scene of the little girl eating with the family seem out of place the first time. But then I realize that director was trying to emphasize how united the family was and how much they feel connected when a member is missing. It made their quest more noble IMO. The scene where the doctors were going to drill holes in the guy was not terrifying but more sentimental. It was pretty sad and disturbing this time.

Then the scene with the bones and the two kids in the sewers was more intriguing and pretty disturbing. This is where the film switch off the monster theme into a horror theme. That was perfect switch and a good time to set up the ending.

I gotta admit The host is even better when you see it again. Can't say the same for Cloverfield. Good movie. Watch it....

MildPossession
Give me The Host over Cloverfield everytime. Bla.

deathbycorn
Give me The Host over Cloverfield everytime. Bla.

Same. The Cloverfield creature was ok but the rest of the movie sucked.

MildPossession
There have been murmurs of a sequel, but what about an English language remake for the insanely awesome Korean horror flick, The Host (Gwoemul)? (Come on, you know it was inevitable.) Variety reports that Universal is teaming up with Gore Verbinski to bring Bong Joon-ho's horror insanity stateside. But don't worry about this turning into Pirates of the Caribbean. Commercial director Fredrik Bond is making the jump to the big screen to helm the remake, with Smart People scribe Mark Poirier penning the script.

It sounds like they're going for the same scenario -- toxins from a military base flow into a river and create "a giant mutant squidlike creature" (or tadpole!). The creature hits land, steals a little girl, and her "dysfunctional family" must team up to save her.

roughrider
I was catching some of it on TV a couple of weeks ago.
No matter else what the film was about, the overriding thing with me was the monster looked fake!
Seriously; they didn't spend enough time & money on CG rendering that thing. It needed more passes. How can the movie have this excellent reputation, with the monster looking so bad?

MildPossession
It wasn't that bad and definitely wasn't bad enough to spoil the film, it was praised when it was released, especially being brave at showing it a lot during daylight scenes.

Maybe you should watch the whole film.

roughrider
It wasn't that bad and definitely wasn't bad enough to spoil the film, it was praised when it was released, especially being brave at showing it a lot during daylight scenes.

Maybe you should watch the whole film.

Perhaps.

K.Diddy
beer I seen this last night,Movie was okay,had some good scenes,but the monster looked crap in my opinion,also I had the same problem with the fact they made the girls dad only look about 6 years older then her,I thought the movie was overlong as well,could of been done in ninety minutes,think it went almost 2 hours,all in all,its a decent way to pass a couple of hours and in general it is a movie worth watching,but from reading this thread,I think some people are jumping on the ''Bandwagon'' and giving this movie way more credit,then it actually deserves

MildPossession
I saw it before it was even out in Britain and America, so bla. Not a bandwagon jumper. stick out tongue

Lawrencemin
it is not too bad

Esau Cairn
The thing is...if you listen to the director's commentary "The Host" referred to another parasitic creature that had attached itself to the "tadpole" monster driving it insane & hungry for flesh.

The toxins created the parasite which in turn turned a docile, placid creature into a killer.

The director said, having 2 creatures would've come across as confusing & thus settled for the big tadpole looking one.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.