Captain America vs the Fullmetal Alchemist

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

xmarksthespot
Edward Elric vs Captain America

Standard rules. Fight in a quiet countryside village.

For the purposes of the battle Ed's arm and leg have been transmuted into adamantium.

He is not allowed to directly transmute Captain America.

Who wins?

(Captain America seems to be the test character of choice...)

Bol Gath
Full Metal Alchemist FTW! He doesn't need to directly transmute Cap to win, He could just make the earth swallow him whole.

Soljer
How far apart to they begin?

What's Ed's best speed/reaction feat?

shifty.

xmarksthespot
It's been a while since I watched the show - but I don't recall him really fighting like that. I'm assuming in character Ed isn't going to be inclined to kill a hero and I generally remember Ed being more of a physical fighter who would occasionally throw alchemy into the mix...

Standard rules i.e. half a kilometer.

Bol Gath
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
It's been a while since I watched the show - but I don't recall him really fighting like that. I'm assuming in character Ed isn't going to be inclined to kill a hero and I generally remember Ed being more of a physical fighter who would occasionally throw alchemy into the mix...

True, but when (or rather if) he use his alchemy he's a beast. I don't see cap winning this fight, sure he wouldn't lose every fight, but Ed would take a healthy majority 7-8/10

Soljer

And his best speed feat? Assuming he has human or near-human reaction times, Ed may suffer the same fate as Harry - being a glass cannon.

llagrok
Ed displayed some pretty decent reflexes when he fought Greed. Other then that he doesn't have any feats that put him on Captain America's level. He does have a lot of decent stamina feats though, but nothing that would allow him to take several of Cap's hits.

Tough choice.

xmarksthespot
Originally posted by Soljer
And his best speed feat? Assuming he has human or near-human reaction times, Ed may suffer the same fate as Harry - being a glass cannon. He generally just showed good reflexes fighting Homunculi... I don't know exactly where they'd translate to in a comic scale.

Also frankly I'm not of the impression that they'd even be able to see each other from half a k apart, let alone attack each other straight off the bat.

Soljer
I really have no idea what Edward can do, and how quickly he can do it. I know he doesn't need a circle or what have you. If Edward DOES try to make this a hand to hand fight, though, I'd say he goes down. I haven't seen a lot of FMA, but I've seen a little, that combined with what I could get out of Wiki makes me believe he wouldn't be a contest for Cap in a melee confrontation - even with an alchemically morphing automail arm.

I'm definitely open to changing my mind if someone wants to throw up some evidence, but I'd say if this comes down to melee? Captain America is winning, and often.

Soljer
Half a kilometer? I don't think they'd have too much problem seeing each other, lest you specify there is plenty of cover. I assume the two KNOW that they are supposed to be fighting - they aren't just gonna wonder around till they happen to bump into each other. And as I pointed out in the Potter thread - Cap could cover half a kilometer on foot in less than nineteen seconds. His shield could cover said distance MUCH MUCH faster, and could come at Ed from any direction - multiple times in a single 'throw' if Cap decides to set up the richochet in such a way. erm.

llagrok
I really have no idea what Edward can do, and how quickly he can do it. I know he doesn't need a circle or what have you. If Edward DOES try to make this a hand to hand fight, though, I'd say he goes down. I haven't seen a lot of FMA, but I've seen a little, that combined with what I could get out of Wiki makes me believe he wouldn't be a contest for Cap in a melee confrontation - even with an alchemically morphing automail arm.

I'm definitely open to changing my mind if someone wants to throw up some evidence, but I'd say if this comes down to melee? Captain America is winning, and often.

He has average reflexes and speed, with slightly enhanced strength in his one arm. He never displayed any form of skill when fighting hand to hand, so it's safe to say that Cap would take 10/10 if they did fight hand to hand.

xmarksthespot
Half a kilometer? I don't think they'd have too much problem seeing each other, lest you specify there is plenty of cover. I assume the two KNOW that they are supposed to be fighting - they aren't just gonna wonder around till they happen to bump into each other. And as I pointed out in the Potter thread - Cap could cover half a kilometer on foot in less than nineteen seconds. His shield could cover said distance MUCH MUCH faster, and could come at Ed from any direction - multiple times in a single 'throw' if Cap decides to set up the richochet in such a way. erm. A soccer pitch is about 100 m from goal to goal... I really don't see anyone without mild telescopic vision seeing across a distance of 5 soccer pitches, well enough to attack someone.Originally posted by llagrok
He has average reflexes and speed, with slightly enhanced strength in his one arm. He never displayed any form of skill when fighting hand to hand, so it's safe to say that Cap would take 10/10 if they did fight hand to hand. Ed is far from Captain America's skill, but to say he lacked any skill is flawed. Both he and Al were trained in hand to hand combat as well as alchemy by their teacher Izumi. And they regularly spar. He fought hand to hand well against Greed and iirc Wrath too; he did okay against Envy too near the end of the series iirc.

Symmetric Chaos
Ed.

Even without direct transmutation he can trap Cap in a huge adamantium cage. Or (if Cap mentions his height) crush him under a wall or blast him with a cannon or . . . well just about anything he can imagine.

Originally posted by llagrok
He has average reflexes and speed, with slightly enhanced strength in his one arm. He never displayed any form of skill when fighting hand to hand, so it's safe to say that Cap would take 10/10 if they did fight hand to hand.

He has extremely good reflexes and he spars with a giant suit of armor that moves as fast as most people. Not to mention the combat training he's gotten.

grey fox

No Skill ? I'm pretty sure he and his brother have their own fighting style considering they spar regularly.

Soljer
A soccer pitch is about 100 m from goal to goal... I really don't see anyone without mild telescopic vision seeing across a distance of 5 soccer pitches, well enough to attack someone. Ed is far from Captain America's skill, but to say he lacked any skill is flawed. Both he and Al were trained in hand to hand combat as well as alchemy by their teacher Izumi.

Well, since the majority of this forum uses imperial measurements, let's go ahead and look at it this way;

1 Kilometer is about .62 miles. Half is, obviously, .31.

Less than a third of a mile. Cap's hit things at that distance with uneering accuracy in the past. Not to mention the fact that he could close the distance VERY rapidly, and then make his move with the shield if he needed to.

xmarksthespot
Well, since the majority of this forum uses imperial measurements, let's go ahead and look at it this way;

Less than a third of a mile. Cap's hit things at that distance with unerring accuracy in the past. Not to mention the fact that he could close the distance VERY rapidly, and then make his move with the shield if he needed to. The only thing I can think of right now that would entail something like a distance of 1600 feet being shown on panel would be "that missile feat." Anyway I set the battle in a quiet countryside village, it's not a jungle, but then it's not a plain. I don't doubt he could cover the distance rapidly though.

For general thread reference the Empire State Building is only 1250 feet tall.

Symmetric Chaos

Less than a third of a mile. Cap's hit things at that distance with uneering accuracy in the past. Not to mention the fact that he could close the distance VERY rapidly, and then make his move with the shield if he needed to.

What if Ed does something clever . . . and moves out of the way. Or ducks no expression

llagrok
Originally posted by grey fox
No Skill ? I'm pretty sure he and his brother have their own fighting style considering they spar regularly.

Good point.

Still far from Cap's level.

Basco15
I absolutely love Fullmetal Alchemist,it is hands down the greatest anime I have ever watched.So Edward FTW.

Edwards automail wouldn't need to be adamantium to begin with.Because he has been seen many times transmuting his automail into many different forms of metal.So he could easily transmute it into adamantium,or any other metal,

What a lot of people don't know about transmutation is that the substance you are trying to transmute,must has many similar properties of the substance you are trying to transmute it into.This is proved when Ed is in the desert with Al,and Ed says "I wish we had some grass that we could turn into bread.So,you can't just transmute anything into anything.

So,I believe,that before Capt. America could make his way towards him,Ed would transmute the minerals in the ground to ultimate adamantium,then the ground containing the adamantium would raise and trap Capt. America.Then the ground would crush him.

Also,in hand to hand combat,I believe that Ed's automail arm would be comparable in strength to Capt. America's regular arm.Ed,could also transmute his arm into a gun,then take minerals form the ground and transmute them into bullets that he could in turn,fire at Capt. America.Ed could also transmute his arm into a sword and fight with Capt. America.He could also transmute Capt. America's sheild into tin or sand that would not be able to stand a chance against his automail sword arm.Then he could transmute Capt. America's armor into a weaker form that could easily be penetrated.

So with that conclusion,Edward Elric,The Fullmetal Alchemist,would win.

llagrok
What on earth makes you believe that ED would be able to transmute anything about Captain America? I takes one shield bash and he could pretty much kill him. Let's not forget about the fact that Cap's reaction time, agility, speed and reflexes are much better.

Symmetric Chaos
What on earth makes you believe that ED would be able to transmute anything about Captain America? I takes one shield bash and he could pretty much kill him. Let's not forget about the fact that Cap's reaction time, agility, speed and reflexes are much better.

I seriously doubt it would be that easy erm

Not to mention that the entire landscape is essentially under Ed's control.

llagrok
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
I seriously doubt it would be that easy erm

Not to mention that the entire landscape is essentially under Ed's control.

I didn't say it was going to be easy.

One thing's certain though, Ed's not far enough to transmute Cap. There's also a couple of seconds delay before the "earth hands" grab you, so Cap would have time to dodge them.

Basco15
I don't think that Capt. America would be possible to react if Ed was to transmute the ground he was standing on,raise it to about whatever distance in the air he needs to keep Capt. America from reaching him.And,at the same time as Ed was raised,all the ground that wasn't raised would instantly turn into the quickest sinking quick sand there has ever been,quick enough to take Capt. America down in less then a millisecond.And,once Capt. America was under,Ed would transmute the ground into solid granite with Capt. America still trapped inside.

With that said,and like I said before,Edward Elric FTW!!!

Symmetric Chaos
I didn't say it was going to be easy.

One thing's certain though, Ed's not far enough to transmute Cap. There's also a couple of seconds delay before the "earth hands" grab you, so Cap would have time to dodge them.

Thats a fair point.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.