Darth Bane versus Exar Kun

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

darthsith19
In their primes: Kun has his amulet, Bane has his Orbalisk armor.

I'm not certain, because 'm not sure if the Orbalisk Armor would block the amulet blast or not, but itf it does I'd say Bane - by the end of PoD he nearly bested Kas'im in a saber duel, in his prime I'd say he could beat Kun. Plus Kun uses a double bladed saber, and Bane knows all the moves of the double-bladed lightsaber. Also, here it says Kun uses Makashi, and Bane is a Djem So Master, and Makashi is weak against Djem So (as seen when Anakin trashes Dooku in ROTS).

What do you guys think?

Darth Hord
That's interesting in regards to the makashi part, but in fairness kun's saber is not like kasim's meaning i doubt it would break and also of note if it is true that kun saber-style makashi with double bladed saber is very unique only to him most likely but it is still a close bout.

Darth Sexy
Exar Kun was a saber prodigy, Bane might have been. Kun has a saber and style completely unknown to Bane, and we saw how Bane reacted to an unknown style. Furthermore, Kun has his amulet blasts and while they are close in the force, Kun has certain sith magic that died with him. Kun owns.

darthsith19
Darth Sexy, how is Kun's saber style completely unknown to Bane? He knew every single technique of the double bladed lightsaber, remember? What Sith Magic died with Kun? Dude, if they were both saber prodigies, and are close in the force, how does Kun own?

Darth Hord
Originally posted by darthsith19
Darth Sexy, how is Kun's saber style completely unknown to Bane? He knew every single technique of the double bladed lightsaber, remember? What Sith Magic died with Kun?

Ill try to answer some of it Here's my interpretation of what sexy is saying. His style is an unknown because like your source said he uses makashi but have you ever seen it used by anyone else with a double bladed lightsaber? Some sith magic could have died with him since he was trained by nadd who in turn was trained by Sadow which is a link to the ancients and he really didnt teach anyone what he knew.

Manslayer
Darth Sexy, how is Kun's saber style completely unknown to Bane? He knew every single technique of the double bladed lightsaber, remember? What Sith Magic died with Kun? Dude, if they were both saber prodigies, and are close in the force, how does Kun own? Superior strength in the force, sith magic, amulet blast?

Darth Sexy
Exar Kun's saber and style died with him, so what Bane knows is what Kas'im taught him. The use of the saber staff. Bane is very unfamiliar with Kun's blade because Kun wields it like a single blade, and switches intensity randomly. Furthermore, while Bane has demonstrated some sweet force mastery, Kun has demonstrated more.

Thousand
In their primes: Kun has his amulet, Bane has his Orbalisk armor.

I'm not certain, because 'm not sure if the Orbalisk Armor would block the amulet blast or not, but itf it does I'd say Bane - by the end of PoD he nearly bested Kas'im in a saber duel, in his prime I'd say he could beat Kun. Plus Kun uses a double bladed saber, and Bane knows all the moves of the double-bladed lightsaber. Also, here it says Kun uses Makashi, and Bane is a Djem So Master, and Makashi is weak against Djem So (as seen when Anakin trashes Dooku in ROTS).

What do you guys think?

Your statement about Dooku and Anakin is bullshit. Dooku trashed Anakin in AOTC. Anakins ability to defeat Dooku came from a growth in skill, not because of a Lightsaber style. If your statement is as logical as you attempt to pass it off as being, do you not think Anakin would have defeated Dooku in AOTC?

Manslayer
Darth sith how can kun be using makashi when his attacks are like hammer head strikes? Makashi is a parrying technique not a brutal beating technique like djem so

nmensfinest

Manslayer

Darth Sexy
Bane's abilities weren't on the level of Kun. Kun had more dark side techniques at his command, while Bane had more dark side principles. Kun's offensive arsenal would overwhelm Bane.

tulakhordpwns
didn't anakin use ataru in AotC?
in AotC Dooku was way better than Anakin
in RotS they were close so Anakin's rage and Djem So gave him the win

like what?

and where does it say that Kas'im's double bladed saber technique is different from Kun's?

Darth Sexy
Kas'im had a saber staff, as did everyone that used a double bladed weapon. Kun had a double blade, with a single blade's hilt, in which he could alter the length and intensity of both beams. That knowledge, along with various sith magic, died with Kun.

Faunus
Wow. So because Anakin beats back Dooku using Djem So, his style > Makashi with no exceptions? Has anyone taken into account that Dooku is between three and four times Anakin's age as of RotS? No? Didn't think so. Exar Kun isn't an eighty-three year-old man. He and Bane are a few years apart at best, and Kun himself is massive. So considering that Bane couldn't just overpower Kas'im - who never displayed any notable physical strength - he's most definitely not going to just beat down Exar Kun. Not that this matters, considering it's never been stated by a canon source that Kun uses Makashi. He has, however, created an entirely new weapon and most likely created a new style or modified an existing one to suit its unique nature. So no, Bane is not going to know every sequence and attack Kun has at his disposable, and he's not going to strong-arm his way past him.

Lightsnake
Faunus, I'm not taking much a stance here once way or the other, but I'm certain Bane is bigger than Kun and extremely strong....In the physical department, I would wager he does have at least a partial strength advantage over Kun-indeed, over most humans.

Although it's true Bane was incapable of defeating Kas'im with sheer strength, Kas'im, I believe, was described as extremely muscular with every muscle perfectly tuned, along with his skill-though, granted, this applies to Kun as well, likely.

As for Kun's weapon: It's extremely difficult to get a fair grasp of the proficiency and effectiveness of the technique since Kun uses it against two people who lack any feats of their own-Vodo and Ood. I'm not disparaging Kun's skill with it-he's certainly highly proficient as a duelist with the double bladed saber and Bane can't know all of his moves-by the same token, Bane's from an era of saber combat more advanced and trained by one of the best, so it's safe to say he could adapt in the duel.

Another problem for kun are those orbalisks, but given he can slice through Mandalorian iron, with enough power, he could probably cleave through them-whether he could do so in time is a bit up in the air.

Another factor ends up being speed and given the lack of proof for speed in Kun's department-anyone correct me if I'm mistaken- but I think the edge goes to Bane there...

All in all, this is pretty up in the air.

Darth Hord
Don't forget that Kun's amulets is a factor that will probably come into play too.

Darth Sexy
Yet the simple fact remains that Kun was good enough to take down his master, who was more than likely the ultimate lightsaber trainer to all of the jedi, while he was a padawan. He was a master of the double blade, and the jar'kai style. This alone should give him an advantage, as Bane got wtfpwned when he saw this style from Kas'im.

Lightsnake
Originally posted by Darth Sexy
Yet the simple fact remains that Kun was good enough to take down his master, who was more than likely the ultimate lightsaber trainer to all of the jedi, while he was a padawan. He was a master of the double blade, and the jar'kai style. This alone should give him an advantage, as Bane got wtfpwned when he saw this style from Kas'im.

You will, of course, provide me of course stating Kun wa s a'master' of Jar'kai. A user of it? Certainly. Master? he has once scene of standing with two sabers ignited.

Moreover, Vodo also took down Kun when he was a Padawan and Kun performed a win against a likely surprised Vodo-of whom your idea of 'was the ultimate saber trainer' to Jedi is pure conjecture without much evidence surrounding him.

There was nothing to being 'good' about it. Kun succumbed to the Dark Side and assaulted Vodo without grace or finesse

Darth Sexy
What do you mean there's nothing good about it? I gues by your logic that means ANakin didn't do anything special by defeating DOoku, he just succumbed to the darkside and assaulted DOoku without grace or finesse.

Lightsnake
bad analogy. Dooku and Anakin fought in a struggle not comparable to one between a surprised mentor and an enraged apprentice.

Faunus
Originally posted by Lightsnake
Faunus, I'm not taking much a stance here once way or the other, but I'm certain Bane is bigger than Kun and extremely strong....In the physical department, I would wager he does have at least a partial strength advantage over Kun-indeed, over most humans.I never said he didn't - just that Bane's strength alone isn't going to grant him an automatic win as someone else implied.

Agreed. And I'm not saying Kas'im was a weakling, but I doubt he's more built than Kun. I imagine him being more lithe and athletic than heavily muscled.

Orbalisks or not, Bane's head goes unprotected, and I doubt that it can stand up to repeated amulet blasts or lightsaber strikes to the joints.

Possibly. We don't have enough details about Kun to decisively say he's faster or slower than Bane, but by the way he wields his lightsaber against Vodo I wouldn't say "slow" is an apt description of him.

I never actually took a side. Just pointed out that Bane can't simply outmuscle a guy like Exar Kun. He's bigger, stronger, and has greater reach, but he's not leagues ahead of his opponent in the physical department by any standard. Kun grabbed the short and stocky Chancellor by the back of his head and lifted him off to the side with one arm. That's nothing to scoff at, and that's all I'm arguing.

Personally, I think Exar has more knowledge - having studied the notes and lived in the base of Naga Sadow, thus having first-hand experience of things that Bane could only learn through a Holocron - and in the amulet, a potentially devastating weapon. So I think he has this, but the lack of truly tangible information on his swordsmanship as of his prime keeps me from saying anything outright. In that regard, he's somewhat of an unknown.

Darth Hord
Originally posted by Faunus

Actually it is his face that is unprotected but i doubt kun can get a stab through the face.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Image:Bane_cron.JPG

Here's a pic of it anyhow. And notice that alot of his face seems to be covered too. other than the mouth area.

Faunus
The head isn't protected by the orbalisks; that's a helmet he uses to keep them off. And I don't think it can deflect a lightsaber.

Darth Hord
The head isn't protected by the orbalisks; that's a helmet he uses to keep them off. And I don't think it can deflect a lightsaber.

O true my bad sad I guess i figured it due to it fittin in some well the orbalisk/costume design

Lightsnake
I never said he didn't - just that Bane's strength alone isn't going to grant him an automatic win as someone else implied.
Naturally. I can't think of many times sheer strength did give an automatic win.

Well, we'll never really know. However, he's got to be extremely well built.

.....ok, we're gonna stop comparing men's bodies starting now

Well, Bane is naturally going to be focus on protecting that blind spot. Exar wouldn't have an easy time of it.

Naturally, not. being a saber master implies he's very fast. I'm just skeptical his speed could reach to people like, say, Luke, Yoda, Mace, etc.

I'm also relatively neutral on this, myself. Just pointing out a few things for discussion really.

Although it's worth mentioning the guy's a Cephalapoid...they're not remarkably heavy creatures if most Octopi I've seen are an indication.

Well, Holocrons are held to be one of the absolute best methods of transferring knowledge and Revan was recording all of his Dark Side knowledge in his....and just the holocron taught Bane plenty. While Exar has more skills in Alchemy, I'm not altogether sure whose Dark Side knowledge would be greater by the end.

Janus Marius
LS:

Actually, you should read the Intro narration for the next two comics: they say explicitly that Kun "humiliated" his master when he had both blades and that he "cruelly defeated" him. Considering Vodo was the one teaching everyone how to wag their glowstick and not Odan-Urr or someone else seems to imply that he's qualified for it. And considering that he uses his walking stick as a weapon against lightsabers further hints at this. Anoon taught saber usage, as did Cin Drallig and Kavar, and none of those guys sucked.

Granted, I can't nail down anything concrete right now, but my eyes are killing me from work. I'll sort through the comics later.

Lightsnake
Originally posted by Janus Marius
LS:

Actually, you should read the Intro narration for the next two comics: they say explicitly that Kun "humiliated" his master when he had both blades and that he "cruelly defeated" him. Considering Vodo was the one teaching everyone how to wag their glowstick and not Odan-Urr or someone else seems to imply that he's qualified for it. And considering that he uses his walking stick as a weapon against lightsabers further hints at this. Anoon taught saber usage, as did Cin Drallig and Kavar, and none of those guys sucked.

Granted, I can't nail down anything concrete right now, but my eyes are killing me from work. I'll sort through the comics later.
You're missing something important here, though:

Drallin, Anoon and probably Kavar were Battlemasters and Saber Instructors for the order as a whole. Vodo is not training oodles of Jedi in the majestic Coruscant Temple: He's training the three Apprentices he's working with on the remote Dantooine. This doesn't imply 'Saber Master for the entire Order'...so far, Vodo has four confirmed apprentices (Sylvar, Crado, Exar and Krynda Draay, AKA: possibly Kreia) The latter was trained, apparently before the other three. It does, also tend to be the Master's responsibility to teach a Jedi about swordplay.
Despite being Battlemaster, Anoon was training his apprentice Darsha
Obi-wan's the one who trained Anakin
Dooku trained Qui-Gon in dueling
There are lots of examples

I don't deny Kun beat Vodo, but to claim it was pure skill against pure skill in their first little duel is a bit strange

tulakhordpwns
i'm not sure kun would use the amulet blast he didn't in his duels against Ulic or Vodo, there must be a reason

either
1 the blast isn't as powerful as everyone makes it seem
in that case Bane's armor should be enough to stop it

or
2 Kun would rather just fight with his lightsaber
in this case Kun wouldn't use it because they would start dueling and Bane wouldn't let Kun disengage so he could fire it

Manslayer
Originally posted by tulakhordpwns
i'm not sure kun would use the amulet blast he didn't in his duels against Ulic or Vodo, there must be a reason

Well i doubt that ulic or vodo was a large enough threat to use it on, Besides when he was in deep shit after the sith wyrm tried to kill him, he used it due to it being a major threat to his existence and against some one like bane im pretty sure he would use it.

Thats just my opinion so i may be wrong

tulakhordpwns
what would make him use it against Bane though?
Vodo was his teacher and beat him before, Kun knows nothing about Bane

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.