The death of old school horror

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jason_Krueger
When will hollywood learn that remaking cult classics to better fit the youth of today is a load of crap! Stop ruining classics hollywood!!!

Here are some horror movies that are scheduled to be remade or are in the works:

alice sweet alice-the orginal was pretty good

april fool's day-the orginal sucked so the remake will suck

battle royale-hollywood should not touch this movie what-so-ever!!!!

the bad seed

the birds-nobody can top Hitchcock

the changeling-great movie will probably be a crappy PG movie if remade

the crazies-will end up like 28 days or weeks or months later

day of the dead-if they decide to remake this then get Zack Snyder to direct

the enitity

evil dead-if Sam Raimi is doing it and Bruce Campbell is back then ok but if not then hell no!

hellraiser-doesnt matter its never gonna live up to the orginal

it's alive

motel hell-will probably be a straight to dvd release

last house on the left-ok...no remake will ever have the impact like the orginal had

PIRANHA

prom night

near dark-NO! NO! NO! No one can outstage Bill Paxton on how he portrayed his character in this film

suspiria-All the beautiful artistic death scenes and imagery will just be shit on if this is to be remade

And last but not least......The Thing

All I have to say about hollywood remaking John Carpenter's masterpiece and probably one of the best horror films ever made is.....If this film is remade then I, myself, will lead the riot to the studio grounds and burn the place to the ground

Big Sexy
Originally posted by Jason_Krueger
When will hollywood learn that remaking cult classics to better fit the youth of today is a load of crap! Stop ruining classics hollywood!!!

Here are some horror movies that are scheduled to be remade or are in the works:

alice sweet alice-the orginal was pretty good

april fool's day-the orginal sucked so the remake will suck

the bad seed

the birds-nobody can top Hitchcock

the changeling-great movie will probably be a crappy PG movie if remade

the crazies-will end up like 28 days or weeks or months later

day of the dead-if they decide to remake this then get Zack Snyder to direct

the enitity

evil dead-if Sam Raimi is doing it and Bruce Campbell is back then ok but if not then hell no!

hellraiser-doesnt matter its never gonna live up to the orginal

it's alive

motel hell-will probably be a straight to dvd release

last house on the left-ok...no remake will ever have the impact like the orginal had

PIRANHA

prom night

near dark-NO! NO! NO! No one can outstage Bill Paxton on how he portrayed his character in this film

suspiria-All the beautiful artistic death scenes and imagery will just be shit on if this is to be remade

And last but not least......The Thing

All I have to say about hollywood remaking John Carpenter's masterpiece and probably one of the best horror films ever made is.....If this film is remade then I, myself, will lead the riot to the studio grounds and burn the place to the ground The problem is the level of creatvity is almost non existant in horrer movies currently. Why spend time to come up with a classic when you can make money off of a shoody remake seems to be the theme of hollywood currently. I new most of the remakes but the Suspiria remake shocked the hell out of me. If they can remake the (1978) invasion of the body snatchers than i know they have no qaulm with remakng the thing. Shame too, the thing has one of the best opened endings I have seen in a horror movie..

ragesRemorse
Like everything else in the world The film industry's primary goal is to make money. Until the remakes stop making money, they will not stop making them. It isnt so much hollywoods fault for the lack of creativity as it is the audience's. THe audience always influences the types of movies that are made, stop going to see these garbage movies, and buying them on dvd they will stop making them. HIlls have eyes2 cost 12 million to make, it grossed a little over 20 million, and will surely make just as much in dvd sales...and you are wondering why they are remaking movies and their sequals. Hills have eyes 2 IS absolute garbage, but people ate it up.

At any rate, these hollywood remakes are still leaps and bounds better than the independent market of horror. YOu cant blame just hollywood for this, you have to blame everyone supporting the problem. Take a look at the indy market of horror. THese are supposed horror fans in control of making their own horror movie. WHat types of horror movies do they make ? Cliche recycled slasher flicks. Sometimes they dont even ahve that much direction.

eggmayo
Remaking them makes money, which is all they care about.

Röland
You can tell the horror genre, and the film industry as a whole, is getting bad when someone tells you the SAW movies are the scariest movies they have seen.

Which adds to my point that people now a days don't know a good movie when they see it. All my friends hate The Thing, I love it, they tell me it is too boring. Figure that out.

ragesRemorse

Impediment
Hollywood will continue to ruin original movies, beit horror or not, by remaking them until people stop going to see them. Simple as that.

Don't criticize the makers, IMO. Criticize the viewers.

SelphieT
They better not remake Suspiria. They can't. Its just impossible. It'd be a completely different movie.

Impediment
Originally posted by SelphieT
They better not remake Suspiria. They can't. Its just impossible. It'd be a completely different movie.

Give it time, dear.

It'll happen.

42ndStreetFreak
"Suspiria" has been down for a re-make for a long time.

"Pirahna" has already been re-made (very badly) with the attack footage lifted from the original!

With DVD (especially multi-region DVD) there is no need to re-make some of these classic slices of horror.
Most are on very nice DVD's to watch if you so wish.

Hell, less and less people go to the cinema anymore anyway, and the time between a cinema release and a DVD release (AGAIN, esp with multi-region) is getting shorter. Soon many think it will be a joint release schedule!

So....why the need then to re-make easily available on DVD originals for a short lived cinema release?

Plus with DVD players getting so very cheap as well as the prices falling on large TV's and theatre sound systems watching a flm on DVD is no longer a big drop in quality or experience.

Just watch the originals.
I for one have personally boycotted EVERY SINGLE re-make of 70's horror we have had recently. I'll never support them with my cash or my eyes!

Kazenji
Originally posted by Jason_Krueger

Most likey they will and americanize it

They have remade day of the dead and theres vegetarian zombies in it from what i hear confused

next on the list is land of the dead for george a romeros zombie movies

Not to mention that one is also a remake of "The thing from another world" confused

Jason_Krueger
Not to mention that one is also a remake of "The thing from another world" confused

yeah I understand that but The Thing from another world had a human like alien and had something to do with plants.....John Carpenter's The Thing had an alien with no true form and was a helluva lot more suspenseful and also had this sense of paranoia that no one else can match (believe me they tried with "Mind Hunters"wink

and I agree with everyone else it does all come down to how much it sells and who makes the movie....well I thought that indy horror film makers would have taken High Tension into consideration of what they need to learn from but as you can all see it was a failed attempt.....now hopefully Hatchet turns out to be as good as everyone says its gonna be and a new path will follow for horror in the future

Leathergien
i think it is pretty stupud making remakes...
but personally i get excited watching an oldie....thats new....
i dont know maybe im the only one who thinks that

Wolfie
Hollywood is finding that these high-budget (well, higher than the originals) remakes of low-budget movies are making them much more cash than the originals.

The Hills Have Eyes (on a $230,000 budget) made $25 million. The remake (on a $14 million budget) made $41 million.

TCM ($83,000) made $30 million. The remake ($9 million) made $80 million.

We say that money doesn't make a movie, but their numbers are showing that the more money they throw at a movie, the more they see in return.

And they're making bank on old ideas. They're not using time and energy scouting out new ideas anymore because they can cash in on a movie that was made 20-30 years ago.

As long as they get the support, they'll be more than happy to keep making these crappy remakes.

SelphieT
Originally posted by Impediment
Give it time, dear.

It'll happen.

Ehhhhh! But Impedy!!!!!! *panics*

Menetnashté
I never really got what the huge problem was with making a remake, even if it was of a great movie. erm And it doesn't seem to help that everyone is biased against the movies before they've even seen a preview for it. People will complain about anything they can find to complain about, even if the movie turns out perfectly fine someone will likely complain about there being a new character or some other meaningless thing.

SelphieT

Röland

Evil Dead
I'm all for remaking 99% of movies out there. There are certain classics that shouldn't be remade for various reasons............other than that, any story can use a modernization to appeal to a new generation. If you like the original better......fine, watch it and let the kids watch the remake.

For some reason people were up in arms about Halloween being remade. Halloween was a great slasher flick.......the prototype.......then the movie was shat upon by 54 stupid sequels that had nothing to do with the original plot......Myers is a crazy guy on a killing spree. They got all supernatural and shit with it. As much as I like/respect Halloween..........Zombie's remake is actually a better film. It has more plot detail.

The Hills Have Eyes - good re-telling. Stayed pretty much true to the vision of the original. I'd say it's better not because of plot.....just presentation based on the much larger budget than the original.

The Evil Dead - I'm 100% all for it. Raimi has already said the Ash character will not be in the film so what are you worried about? If you don't remember the original film.....it was about a GROUP of college kids vacationing in the mountains and accidentally releasing the evil spirits of the dead. That plot can be re-made over and over again and churn out a good film. Are you going to be disappointed there are no stop motion or claymation effects? The Evil Dead updated and without Ash is still a good movie waiting to happen.

TCM - shouldn't have been remade. The charm and affect of the original was directly based upon it's low budget grittiness. There's no way that could have been recaptured even if they hadn't changed the entire f-cking script.

A Nightmare on Elm Street and Re-Animator - Neither should ever be remade. Both films center around the personalities of the lead characters.....Fred Krueger and Dr. West. Their personalities are supplied by the actors, they made the characters their own. Neither could be duplicated and neither movie could work without these characters unless the scripts were completely changed.....which defeats the purpose of a "remake". If you're going to make a completely different movie.......give it a completely different name. That leads me to...

Dawn of the Dead - f-cking retarded. This could have worked, modernized.......if they had stuck to the script of the original. This movie worked well as a film and not just a gore flick soly because of it's intelligent commentary on the social structure of America.......something completely left out of the remake and replaced by guns and explosions. As a stand alone movie the remake wouldn't have been too bad if given a different name since it bares no resemblence at all to the original film.

Hellraiser - I want a remake. As great as this movie is, I want to see it with a larger budget, better actors. Either leave Pinhead out completely and cast a new "lead cenobite" or have Bradley put the make-up on again.

Friday the 13th - A bigger budget with better actors could only make this film better. There are no stars to the film......it's more or less a whodunit. The star of the film is the camp itself........as long as it takes place at Camp Crystal Lake, change all actors and even characters......none of them are intregal.

The Omen/Amityville Horror - why oh why? The stories were not updated and they stuck pretty much to the originals. What was the point? Was there really a need to replace the legendary actor Gregory Peck with the guy who played Cotton Weary? Should have just re-released the originals in the theater.

Battle Royale - would be sweet to see an american version.....but if one does occur it will bare no resemblence to the original. The violence will be watered down and the ages of the kids will be increased by 3-4 years taking away the impact and psychological development of the characters. Hollywood is too big of a p-ssy to remake this properly.

vivando-loca
Hollywood will never learn, as long as they keep getting money. *tsk*

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.