Iron Man starting point.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Morridini
I've always liked Tony Stark/Iron Man but never done any reading of Iron Man comics before, and as he seems to grow bigger and bigger in the Marvel universe (Civil War etc) I am wanting even more to get into the Iron Man comics.

So I am looking for some good Iron Man TPBs, maybe an Origin kind of TPB. Do anyone have any suggestions?

I know he is pretty disliked here but I am sure there are some who like Iron Man.

Deathstroke
I believe the Extremis arc, which was Vol. 4 issues 1-6, has an origin story in it along with some recent changes with Tony, mainly his exposure to the Extremis virus.

Morridini
Thanks for tip, checked the website for the comic shop I use and they have the TPB. Any other suggestions?

Endless Mike
Illuminati and World War Hulk

Morridini
Yeah well those are ongoing titles, I'm looking for something to start my Iron Man before I go on to the ongoing ones.

EDIT: Wait a sec, am I messing up? Is Illuminate an ongoing series started after/during CW or just a miniseries?

Sparkz
There is the TPB Armour Wars, where Iron Man is after people who have his tech in their armours, that was a good story, and demon in a bottle where it shows starks alcoholism but i havent read that yet, there is another where his armour becomes sentient...thats all I can think of right now, Iron Man TPB are hard to fins.

Morridini
Thanks for the tip, but do Iron Man have any TPBs that stand out? Like Batman's Year One and Long Halloween.

Btw these are the TPBs my comic book shop has available:

Invincible Iron Man - Execute Program
Invincible Iron Man - Extremis
Invincible Iron Man - Armor Wars
Iron Man - Demon in a Bottle
Iron Man - Mask In The Iron Man
Iron Man - The Inevitable

So other then Extremis, Demon in a bottle and Armor Wars are there any that stands out of those mentioned?

Sparkz
Originally posted by Morridini
Thanks for the tip, but do Iron Man have any TPBs that stand out? Like Batman's Year One and Long Halloween.

So other then Extremis, Demon in a bottle and Armor Wars are there any that stands out of those mentioned?

Execute program was a very good read, and so was Mask in the Iron Man, but whether they stood out or not...

nimbus006

What i would do is go to Marvel.com or Wikipedia.org and read the Bio and History of Iron Man just to get a good basic knowledge of the character. Next, i would start with the Newest Iron Man arc that began with Extremis. They are currently on issue # 20 right now so its not too far into the series to pick it up from the beginning. The first couple issues give you a little background and origins on the character (great art by the way). If after you read the first 20 issues of the new volume you stilll feel like you want to read more Iron Man then you can pick up some older comics such as Iron Man: Disassembled.

Deathstroke
If you want to see a newer take on some of his old villains then The Inevitable would be a good one. Execute Program is the follow up to Extremis and is alright. I've only read a little bit of Mask In The Iron Man and what I read was pretty good. It's the story arc where his armor becomes sentient.

It just depends on what you're lookin for I guess. I think as far as comparing to Long Halloween or Year One I think Demon in the Bottle and Armor Wars are Iron Man's most well known stories.

Morridini
Hmm, the problem with doing what nimbus mentioned is that getting older comics that are not too old is a pain in the ass. If a comic is more then a month or so old I have to order comics from websites/ebay etc, which is why I try to find TPBs to read.

But thanks for info all, I have some good pointers (will check out his bio at wiki/marvel) and will have to check out prices and what they have in atm.

nimbus006
Hmm, the problem with doing what nimbus mentioned is that getting older comics that are not too old is a pain in the ass. If a comic is more then a month or so old I have to order comics from websites/ebay etc, which is why I try to find TPBs to read.

But thanks for info all, I have some good pointers (will check out his bio at wiki/marvel) and will have to check out prices and what they have in atm.

Yea i would go with the newer stuff as well. It has everything you need to know so you dont get lost in the story. Everytime a writer starts a new series they usually give you some background to accomodate the new readers. You'll be fine with that, goodluck.

Wolfie
I really recommend Extremis. The Civil War book wasn't bad but it didn't add a whole lot to the main storyline.

I've been meaning to check out Execute Program and Armor Wars myself.

Morridini
I was in the comic book store yesterday and they only had Armor Wars, Extremis and Director of S.H.I.E.L.D available. I didn't feel much like reading an old comic right now, so went for Extremis, once done with that one I think I will continue on this Iron Man run (meaning Execute Program or whatever it was called, followed by Civil War and then Director of S.H.I.E.L.D.).

Kutulu
I was in the comic book store yesterday and they only had Armor Wars, Extremis and Director of S.H.I.E.L.D available. I didn't feel much like reading an old comic right now, so went for Extremis, once done with that one I think I will continue on this Iron Man run (meaning Execute Program or whatever it was called, followed by Civil War and then Director of S.H.I.E.L.D.).

Armor Wars was friggin' awesome, so was Extremis, those are my top highly rated places to start off with. I loved Armor Wars as it introduced a degree of seriousness into comics that previous to that growing up I hadn't experienced that much. Extremis takes this a step further, it is very gritty and dark, yet very cool at the same time.

Morridini
So I bought Extremis a while ago, but didn't get to read it until now.

And I see now how it works fine as a starting point, because of the included Origins stuff that come up now and then (smart dude at young age, shrapnel near heart, first armor, etc).

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.