What is the purpose of having animals as pets?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BobbyD
Elaborate.....

I thought about this myself the other day.

Is it for companionship? Did a Higher Power surround us with them out of His love for us to give us more joy? Did He do it to teach us how to be more caring adults?

I know I'm bringing a religious aspect into the equation, and it was not my intention, but I'm trying to cover all areas of possible replies.

So what else? Did it start out as a use for mere survival tactics/easier living that we domesticated animals and then it gravitated to friendship with them?

Please respond....

Thanks. smile

Shakyamunison
Protecting sheep and cattle; controlling rat and vermin populations, and acting as an alarm. The idea of a "pet" is relatively new.

BobbyD
Hmm, interesting.

Thanks, Shaky.

leonheartmm
well no. officially it started with controlling or amusement, but people have always had an affection for animal with features and expressions which look adorable or whatever.

as to whats the purpose. well, whats the purpose of having kids? theyr lovely to look at. companionship. they love you. you love/adore them. it makes you happy/jolly/less alone.

Admiral Akbar
Originally posted by leonheartmm
well no. officially it started with controlling or amusement, but people have always had an affection for animal with features and expressions which look adorable or whatever.

as to whats the purpose. well, whats the purpose of having kids? theyr lovely to look at. companionship. they love you. you love/adore them. it makes you happy/jolly/less alone.

The purpose of procreation (having children) is so that the human race can grow. It's not only about companionship, you're giving birth to an individual, there is nothing more rewarding than that.

debbiejo
Originally posted by BobbyD
Elaborate.....

Is it for companionship? Did a Higher Power surround us with them out of His love for us to give us more joy? Did He do it to teach us how to be more caring adults?

I know I'm bringing a religious aspect into the equation, and it was not my intention, but I'm trying to cover all areas of possible replies.

So what else? Did it start out as a use for mere survival tactics/easier living that we domesticated animals and then it gravitated to friendship with them?

Please respond....

Thanks. smile Look who made a thread.

Okay, because they love you no matter what. They'll let you pet them and play with them and be silly with them and kiss them........and talk silly, and they don't care. Kinda like our slaves.. cool

Tangible God
Tamed animals served as forms of entertainment and protection in the "long, long ago." Nowadays they also provide a sense of comfort, companionship, and a way to shut up the kids' begging.

Tangible God
Originally posted by Admiral Akbar
The purpose of procreation (having children) is so that the human race can grow. It's not only about companionship, you're giving birth to an individual, there is nothing more rewarding than that. The people who choose to remain childless could disagree. Personally, I find admiration and respect a larger reward.

BobbyD
Originally posted by Tangible God
..... and a way to shut up the kids' begging.

laughing

Charmed_Phoebe
Originally posted by debbiejo
Look who made a thread.

Okay, because they love you no matter what. They'll let you pet them and play with them and be silly with them and kiss them........and talk silly, and they don't care. Kinda like our slaves.. cool

yep yep I agree Onyx my kitty loves me no matter what! And she loves me more than you DEBBIE! hehe stick out tongue stick out tongue

debbiejo
But, but you act like a cat and carry her around in your mouth.....blink laughing out loud

Charmed_Phoebe
But, but you act like a cat and carry her around in your mouth.....blink laughing out loud

hahaha yep I do! Except now shes too heavy so I have to use my mouth and arms hehehee stick out tongue eek!

debbiejo
Or you'd rip her neck off. doh

Charmed_Phoebe
Or you'd rip her neck off. doh

confused ssssshhh debbie that almost happened once! laughing She told me she misses you and wanted me to tell you "meow" eek!

miss_swann
Elaborate.....

Please respond....

Thanks. smile I truly have no idea, to me it's a way for little children to feel that they have a small ammount of responsibility.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Charmed_Phoebe
confused ssssshhh debbie that almost happened once! laughing She told me she misses you and wanted me to tell you "meow" eek! laughing out loud rolling on floor laughing

The Black Ghost
I really dont know the answer to the quesiton. Likely it did only start as a means of cattle herding or hunting, and fights. People kept animals to fight eachother at matches, maybe some just got used to having them around.

I think inside though, most people have some sort of interest or affection for animals...the cute or intelligent kind at least. I dont know, they make easier friends than people you have to constantly entertain or think of something to talk to about. Silence seems to be the best freindship maker.

dadudemon
Well it depends what your pets are for.

Dogs are for herding, guarding, hunting..etc etc.

Gerbals, rabbits, rats, etc are there just to be cute.

Sheep are there just to have sex with. etc etc.

Every "pet" has a purpose and because humans are intelligent...we have a purpose for things around us...it is the use of our environment that makes humans amoung the unique of animals.

BobbyD
Look who made a thread.

Silence! mad

stick out tongue

Jim Reaper
I've been to villages in Afghanistan and you see dogs and such, but they're not really domesticated. They can barley feed their families, much less a family dog.

Goddess Kali
The reason is companionship and/or service.

Just because animals can love you, does not mean a higher loving force put them here. There are plenty of animals who live independently of human beings, and would kill us without remourse.

BackFire
Elaborate.....

Please respond....

Thanks. smile

Sex

Goddess Kali
Originally posted by BackFire
Sex

How did you become a moderator ?

You are almost half as perverted as I am

BackFire
I'm worse.

I'm straight and I'm pretty sure I've penetrated more men then you.

Not out of lust or attraction, just out of spite and boiling hatred.

Goddess Kali
I'm worse.

I'm straight and I'm pretty sure I've penetrated more men then you.

Not out of lust or attraction, just out of spite and boiling hatred.

I beleive you, but only because I haven't penetrated many men, I'm a bottom. I am a **** and a half though embarrasment

BobbyD
Sex eek! laughing out loud laughing sick

SelphieT
I guess...hmm...I guess I have pets.....well, lemme say this first.

I grew up with a dog named Suzie, she was a black lab, and she was like a sister to me, we were both babies at the same time. So I grew up with the idea of generally like pets.

Now that I can really decide if I would like a pet or not, I'd say I would have a pet(s) because of....being able to have a friend thats true, being able to protect something, having someone around that you can call a member of your family, and....in a way....being a mother. If you get a pet while they are very young, they will look up to you like a guardian.

BobbyD
Pic of Sam I Am.

Ain't he cute?

debbiejo
He looks just like your wife! No wonder you're always horny....happy

stick out tongue

BobbyD
He looks just like your wife! No wonder you're always horny....happy

stick out tongue

eek!

Deb, that's not nice. So what if my wife looks like that? stick out tongue

Kelly_Bean
Companionship and love.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Kelly_Bean
Companionship and love.

lil bitchiness
Elaborate.....

Please respond....

Thanks. smile
I kinda thought that was obvious.

Dogs have lived with us for a long time, beginning to live with us, because we started using them to help us hunt.

Cats decided to live with us, not other way around. That was a result of high number of vermin living around humans.

Elephants in India also chose to live with humans, not other way around. They agree to work in exchange for food.

We needed animals, and through the ages they became pets which we didnt ''use'' anymore.

ragesRemorse
companionship

Mairuzu
Elaborate.....

Please respond....

Thanks. smile

So i can cuddle with my kitty

Mairuzu
And it keeps my feet warm during the winter

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.