Gandalf the White vs. ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SnazzySmurph
Weakest person to take Gandalf...?

They start 1 Km apart.

SnazzySmurph
You're all too scared to answer, eh? sly

boriquaking55
The Punisher/Deadpool/insert random street-leveler/taskmaster could all kill Gandalf's mortal body.

Gandalf is really immortal though, his Maiar form would be much harder to destroy.

Soljer
Didn't he go melee against a Balor?

nimbus006
Do you mean Balrog?

Soljer
Originally posted by nimbus006
Do you mean Balrog?

Same shit, different name.

nimbus006
Originally posted by Soljer
Same shit, different name.

Oh well in that case... yes he did.

Soljer
Oh well in that case... yes he did.

In which case, I seem to doubt any 'insert street leveller here' could very easily take him. Aren't Balors/Balrogs/whatever like the Seraphim of hell? Top-dog Demons?

celestialdemon
In which case, I seem to doubt any 'insert street leveller here' could very easily take him. Aren't Balors/Balrogs/whatever like the Seraphim of hell? Top-dog Demons?

Balrogs are Maiar, just like Gandalf, Sauron, and Sauruman are. They are the most powerful beings in creation besides the Ainur and of course Illuvatar.

Soljer
Originally posted by celestialdemon
Balrogs are Maiar, just like Gandalf, Sauron, and Sauruman are. They are the most powerful beings in creation besides the Ainur and of course Illuvatar.

English?

Symmetric Chaos

English?

Gandalf is one of the Maiar. Because the species isn't stuck in one form they can look like anything but still have roughly equal powers.

Gandalf could be a Balrog (or Balor for you DnD nerds) if he so desired.

The only things above them are Illuvitar (god) and the Anuir (some sorta true angels that built creation)

At least thats how I saw it.

celestialdemon

English?

Sure.

Illuvatar = God
Ainur = Seraphim
Maiar = Angels

boriquaking55
Yea but I still think a Maia's mortal form is vulnerable, you just can't kill their true form.

Heck even Melkor was never killed, he's just eternally imprisoned isn't he? I like to think Sauron wasn't killed either at the end of LOTR, just banished from the mortal world.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by boriquaking55
Yea but I still think a Maia's mortal form is vulnerable, you just can't kill their true form.

Possible. In fact wasn't that part of the transition from Grey to White for Gandalf?

Originally posted by boriquaking55
Heck even Melkor was never killed, he's just eternally imprisoned isn't he? I like to think Sauron wasn't killed either at the end of LOTR, just banished from the mortal world.

Melkor is one of the Anuir so only Illuvitar can kill him (and he doesn't seem like the killing type)

Sauron is notoriously hard to kill (or imprison) and even with his power destroyed I'm pretty sure he can keep going.

Anyway if you just need to KO him or kill him once then the more powerful Maiar should be able to do it. But because Tolkien loved magic working subletly I don't think it's possible to rank him against comic characters.

boriquaking55
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Anyway if you just need to KO him or kill him once then the more powerful Maiar should be able to do it. But because Tolkien loved magic working subletly I don't think it's possible to rank him against comic characters.

Yea it is difficult to compare the two, and I made the mistake in my first post of considering the film version only, who was wayyy powered-down.

Battlehammer
any street leveler would get curf stomped. gandolph could kill them with but a thought.

Soljer
Originally posted by Battlehammer
any street leveler would get curf stomped. gandolph could kill them with but a thought.

What if they started a lot closer? No Wolvi-blitz?

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Battlehammer

With a thought? I don't know of him using power like that.

Battlehammer
What if they started a lot closer? No Wolvi-blitz?
It hard to say. The dude was one of the most powerful beings the realm had ever seen.

His powers are crazy and much more exsplored out side the lord of the rings triligy.

I would have to re read some books to give you my true opinion.

but im going with gandolph till then.

nimbus006

Exactly... There is no street leveller who could stand up to a Maiar. Not only is he out of this world powerful, but Gandalf also can hold his own in swordsmanship having fought a Balrog to a standstill for 2 days.

boriquaking55
Squirrel Girl could take him though smile

Symmetric Chaos
Exactly... There is no street leveller who could stand up to a Maiar. Not only is he out of this world powerful, but Gandalf also can hold his own in swordsmanship having fought a Balrog to a standstill for 2 days.

Was it a sword fight in the book? A lot of things were filed in by the movie.

Plus we're talking about a guy who's supposed to be like 2 tiers from god but he's thwarted by bad weather erm

Soljer

Plus we're talking about a guy who's supposed to be like 2 tiers from god but he's thwarted by bad weather erm

I believe the demon also had a whip....

nimbus006

Im pretty sure he used Glamdring in the fight with the Balrog.

But your right in the movie he is severely powered down.

Symmetric Chaos
I believe the demon also had a whip....

I believe MrGygax has a lot to answer for . . .

Zebedee
John Constanine smile

SnazzySmurph
I believe MrGygax has a lot to answer for . . . I believe OJ did it

SnazzySmurph
Anyways...

assume this isn't Movie Gandalf.

After the transition from Grey to White, is his mortal form (whatever the proper name is) just as vulnerable as the grey one? I remember that being some part of his transition... meh.

ExtraMision5555
So how come the movie Gandalf was so Underwhelming in LOTR with the excpetion of the light thing he did in the 3rd, ?or end of 2nd movie? Was that just a creative descision?

I mean, killing the barlog was impressive, but still.

SnazzySmurph
Teh Bumpzorz

Jyppe
Gandalf the grey couldn't beat couple of wolves no expression I never considered Maiar very powerful, at least when they used the bodies of humans.

Anyone with a gun and a decent Aim should be able to take him out.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.