Why...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Council#13
Why was it necessary to gouge out the heart of the person who killed the last captain of the Flying Dutchman? I mean, yeah, the Dutchman needs a living heart, but couldn't you just stab the heart and be done with it?

willofthewisp
You can't just be done with it because the ship needs a captain. The ship has a purpose, to find shipwrecked souls and save them.

miss_swann
Originally posted by Council#13
Why was it necessary to gouge out the heart of the person who killed the last captain of the Flying Dutchman? I mean, yeah, the Dutchman needs a living heart, but couldn't you just stab the heart and be done with it? The heart needs to be in a chest because the captain is no longer alive as it were and no longer needs a heart and there needs to be a means to kill him.

Council#13
Yeah, but you don't need to tear your heart out, even if you kill the captain of the Dutchman. There isn't a special force that compels you to do it, is there? Because someone had to take out Will's heart seeing as he was to weak to do it, but even if he wasn't, couldn't he have killed Davy Jones and just left?

JacksSweet

Council#13
Oh, that sparks some ideas.... thanks. smile

Ericadawn
I hated that part. It was like they were in a cult or from "Freaks!" screaming "One of us! One of us!"

I would rather have had Disney magic that there's a thump and his heart was magically removed from his chest. I also hope that that was strictly for Davy's successor and that the next Captain can keep his heart because if the ship needs a heart, it makes more sense for that heart to be ON THE SHIP!

Surreal_44
The next captain CAN keep his heart. At least as far as I can see. The heart curse works like this ---

--Jones agrees to be Calypso's champion and lover. In return for her love, she gives him the ability to go to that 'between' place to ferry souls for her. In ten years, she is to be waiting on shore for him, where they can "finally be together again".

--Calypso failed to meet Jones at the end of his ten years. Furious with her betrayal, Jones betrays her to the Brethren Court.

--After she is bound in human form, Jones rips out his heart, unable to bear the pain of both betrayals.

--He creates his own curse, stating that the only way to be rid of him (not necessarily his successor) is to stab his heart and take his place. Added to that is Jones' other form of punishment -- his successor MUST take out his own heart and put it in the chest.

Now, when Will is free, either by ten years or at the end of Elizabeth's life-span, a new captain will take the place. Since Will did not create such a spell for the heart, one would assume that there is no reason for any other person to remove their hearts.

If Will is "brought back" by the green flash at the end of the film, it is quite possible that he would be entirely whole again, with his heart restored to him.

sailorleo
Originally posted by Surreal_44
The next captain CAN keep his heart. At least as far as I can see. The heart curse works like this ---

--Jones agrees to be Calypso's champion and lover. In return for her love, she gives him the ability to go to that 'between' place to ferry souls for her. In ten years, she is to be waiting on shore for him, where they can "finally be together again".

--Calypso failed to meet Jones at the end of his ten years. Furious with her betrayal, Jones betrays her to the Brethren Court.

--After she is bound in human form, Jones rips out his heart, unable to bear the pain of both betrayals.

--He creates his own curse, stating that the only way to be rid of him (not necessarily his successor) is to stab his heart and take his place. Added to that is Jones' other form of punishment -- his successor MUST take out his own heart and put it in the chest.

Now, when Will is free, either by ten years or at the end of Elizabeth's life-span, a new captain will take the place. Since Will did not create such a spell for the heart, one would assume that there is no reason for any other person to remove their hearts.

If Will is "brought back" by the green flash at the end of the film, it is quite possible that he would be entirely whole again, with his heart restored to him.

and admiral norrington somehow manages to make it back into the realm of the quasi living to helm the Dutchman with the love of his life at his side, sailorleo..

There, I said it...sorry for ruining POTC 4 for you....:P

T&T wanted me to keep it hush hush

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.