Stephen King's The Mist

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Röland
After a violent storm attacks a town in Maine, an approaching cloud of mist appears the next morning. As the mist quickly envelops the area, a group of people get trapped in a local grocery store -among them, artist David Drayton and his five-year-old son. The people soon discover that within the mist lives numerous species of horrific, unworldly creatures that entered through an inter-dimensional rift, which may or may not have been caused by a nearby military base. As the world around them manifests into a literal hell-on-earth, the horrified citizens try desperately to survive this apocalyptic disaster.

Release Date: 21 November 2007

Stars: Thomas Jane, Marcia Gay Harden and Andre Braugher

The Mist

As a Stephen King fan this is by far my favorite, and his best short story, I'm really looking forward to this movie and I think Darabont is going to do a great job. Frank Darabont, who wrote the screenplay for The Green Mile and The Shawshank Redemption, is directing. Darabont also has the rights to "The Long Walk", another great King book, so we have that to look forward to as well.

Aintitcoolnews.com has six set reports from Quint, links here, there are some nice set pictures as well.

To me this movie looks promising, I only wish a trailer would be released soon.

Barker
I have to go off topic and say haermm.

Sorry.

Röland
baka

Just had to get that first post huh?

Jason_Krueger
The movie sounds promising....I really hope that it delivers, Stephen King's kind of horror is unique

like from Creepshow 2....The Raft....pure genious

or his other short stories....The Moving Finger, Chattery Teeth....check them out if you havent already

steverules
I am looking forward to it

Röland
Originally posted by Jason_Krueger
The movie sounds promising....I really hope that it delivers, Stephen King's kind of horror is unique

like from Creepshow 2....The Raft....pure genious

or his other short stories....The Moving Finger, Chattery Teeth....check them out if you havent already

I've seen all 3 of those short movies and I liked them, best was The Raft. Though all three of those stories are much better then the film adaptations but the shorts still do the stories justice.

doomsday49
sounds stupid!!

pumas79
what you mean sounds stupid, sit back and think about that for a minute, most horror film storys sound stupid if you think bout em. thank you for your ignorance,
anyway, hopefully this should be a good film, and not such a let down as some of them have been.

GGS
Originally posted by pumas79
what you mean sounds stupid, sit back and think about that for a minute, most horror film storys sound stupid if you think bout em. thank you for your ignorance,
anyway, hopefully this should be a good film, and not such a let down as some of them have been.

You neglect the fact that the story has been knicked and mixed together with other horror stories and is trying to pretend it's an orginal idea when it's far from it. laughing

pumas79
just wondering what films you believe it has been knicked and mixed together with?

also arnt most films normally a mix of other horror films when you look at it?

DARKLORDCAEDUS
King's an excellent writer. Most of his books make great movies. This one I'm not sure until I see it.

Zilverz
i like the premise ...im interested

GGS
just wondering what films you believe it has been knicked and mixed together with?

also arnt most films normally a mix of other horror films when you look at it?

LOL obviously you've never heard of John Carpenters 'The Fog' and then just throw in abit of Doom the videogame's storyline but because that wasn't around in the 1980's settle for 'the thing from another world' or any other cheesy invasion due to event movie and Oh SHI--- it's Steven Kings 'The Mist' where all he has to do is make his own main characters eek!

Also i never said anything about other films it's just i find steven king to be over-rated these days.

Röland
Originally posted by GGS
LOL obviously you've never heard of John Carpenters 'The Fog' and then just throw in abit of Doom the videogame's storyline but because that wasn't around in the 1980's settle for 'the thing from another world' or any other cheesy invasion due to event movie and Oh SHI--- it's Steven Kings 'The Mist' where all he has to do is make his own main characters eek!

Also i never said anything about other films it's just i find steven king to be over-rated these days.

Nobody ever said "The Mist" was an original story. King himself has said his inspiration for his stories comes from the horror movies, books and comics of his youth. Just like many other authors and filmmakers did as well.

"The Mist" is a great story, hopefully the movie will be as great, so does it really matter that it isn't "original?"

doomsday49
thank you for your ignorance,

Thank you for your wife, biotch!! You can have her back now; i'm done with her smokin'

Originally posted by pumas79 most horror film storys sound stupid if you think bout em.

Thanks for agreeing, ya dumb fukkk!! And when you speak to me next time, make sure to take my dick out your mouth....
It ain't polite to talk with your mouth full

pumas79
thats more of less my point, im sure we could come up with a list of hundreds of movies and books that are a mix of other influences.

these are the reasons that i believe in strict birthing rights and enforced sterilisation throughout the world, bring on 1984 Happy Dance laughing Happy Dance laughing Happy Dance

Pandemoniac
I found The Mist to be a very entertaining and well written story, with enough nice turns and developments to hold it's own ground, even if it's somewhat inspired by earlier tales.
The Mist on it's own turn was an inspiration for Half-Life, which says something as well.
It could be a hell of a movie, and by the looks of it now far far better than The Fog or Doom.

Jason_Krueger
Originally posted by GGS

All I have to say is that keep it to yourself, hell start a I hate Stephen King forum if yah wish but dont clutter up this one with your trash talking, same goes to that other guy with the godfather avatar.....but consider this, Stephen king is the only person to come up with a novelty toy biting off a kid's nose and nuts........a human finger come out of a sink drain......a man-eating blob of goo in a lake......a dude who mows your lawn suddently mowing you down and leaving your entrails in your birdbath......a toy monkey in which whenevr it plays its chimes someone dies......a laundry folder possessed by the devil......children seizing control of a town by slaughtering all the adults.......I can go on and on but I won't

GGS
Did i say i hated him though you big dummy? no i said i think he is over rated these days i quite enjoy Steven King but i think he's over rated these days the second part of the dark towers being the most recent proof of that but hey hate me then just because i have a different opinion and i am not blinded by fanboyism. For all you know this could turn out to be a another dreamcatcher movie but at least the dreamcatcher book was good.

Pandemoniac
The trailer is out!

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809834165/video/3906309/

Has some spoilers in it for those who haven't read the story.

Röland
Originally posted by Pandemoniac
The trailer is out!

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809834165/video/3906309/

Has some spoilers in it for those who haven't read the story.

I really liked the trailer, it did give a few things away, but overall this movie looks awesome.

EP-MHO_M6ik

vivando-loca
sounds like "The Fog" erm

storm, creepy fog (mist, whatever), citizens fighting for their lives, some trapped in regular places like grocery store or museum....

if it takes place in a coastal Maine town, it's almost too similar.

i'll probably still go see it, though. happy

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Read and loved the novel. Saw the trailer. Looks good.

akema
The trailer has me very interested in seeing this.

Zilverz
when is this movie due to come out ?

Pandemoniac
November, could be a little later, but it's just about done it seems.

Deano
wicked! i loved the short story. really eerie

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Originally posted by Zilverz
when is this movie due to come out ?

It should come out 11/11

FistOfThe North
Crazy movie. Wish there were more to it than what the end offered.

ragesRemorse
I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, but the last ten minutes of the film nearly ruined the experience for me. Im not sure what spaz chose the music at the end, but it was completely out of place. The music felt more like it belonged in a human rights movie like blood diamond or such others of that kind. It certainly didnt belong in a suspenseful monster movie. It created conflicting tones for me. I dont know how to post spoilers, so i wont say much. Other than, the peoples decisions at the end came to soon without much threat and also didnt fit the characteristics of the people.
This movie, regardless of the ending, holds up as one of kings best movies.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, but the last ten minutes of the film nearly ruined the experience for me. Im not sure what spaz chose the music at the end, but it was completely out of place. The music felt more like it belonged in a human rights movie like blood diamond or such others of that kind. It certainly didnt belong in a suspenseful monster movie. It created conflicting tones for me. I dont know how to post spoilers, so i wont say much. Other than, the peoples decisions at the end came to soon without much threat and also didnt fit the characteristics of the people.
This movie, regardless of the ending, holds up as one of kings best movies.

I agree. It was one of King's finer flicks. It seemed more about the human monster within than the interdimesional monsters that were outside. But the movie kept me in suspense longer and more intensely than other any horror/scifi movie i can remember watching. Then when the mist slowly cleared i went from awe, the whole time, to wtf?.

The ending was either very smart of very dumb. 1 prequel or sequel would probably be a smart way of continuing the story and answering some of the questions I'm sure tons of people have. But if it just stopped there that be a waste.

Röland
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
The ending was either very smart of very dumb. 1 prequel or sequel would probably be a smart way of continuing the story and answering some of the questions I'm sure tons of people have. But if it just stopped there that be a waste.

I haven't seen the film but I know the ending and I think it is 50/50. Sure it stops any sequels from being made but I appreciated the novella ending more.

FistOfThe North

Röland
I did some research on "Mist" and found out that it's a 3 part novella actually that goes into further expands and goes into detail with the whole story.

I definetely considering getting those books.

It seems like it could be fascinating story/movie.

I have the book "Skeleton Crew" and it contains the whole story.

FistOfThe North
Really. The Skeleton Crew. Is it a trilogy? Where does the movie come in, in the book.

JediSamuraiMRB
Crazy movie. Wish there were more to it than what the end offered.

I liked how it ended. As did Stephen King. King gave his approval for the ending.

Pandemoniac
I did some research on "Mist" and found out that it's a 3 part novella actually that goes into further expands and goes into detail with the whole story.

I definetely considering getting those books.

It seems like it could be fascinating story/movie.

As far as I know The Mist is just a single story, published in different magazines and books, with some different editing maybe, but still basically the same story.

Röland
Really. The Skeleton Crew. Is it a trilogy? Where does the movie come in, in the book.

It's separated into parts, so maybe you found a version that sells the seperate parts by themselves instead of put together. The story is only like 130 some pages long.

In my book the parts are as follows;

I. The Coming of the Storm
II. After the Storm. Norton. A Trip to Town
III. The Coming of the Mist
IV. The Storage Area. Problems with the Generators. What Happened to the Bag-Boy
V. An Argument with Norton. A Discussion Near the Beer Coolor. Verification.
VI. Further Discussion. Mrs. Carmody. Fortifications. What Happened to the Flat-Earth-Society.
VII. The First Night.
VIII. What Happen to the Soldiers. With Amanda. A Conversation with Dan Miller.
IX. The Expidition to the Pharmacy.
X. The Spell of Mrs. Carmody. The Second Night in the Market. The Final Confrontation.
XI. The End.

FistOfThe North
^ Oh.

That's basically the movie right there.

Chapter 8's "What Happen to the Soldiers. With Amanda. A Conversation with Dan Miller" might get into the Arrowhead project a little more than the movie did. Cause that's my interest. The opening of the dimension and what is that dimension or how and why the military did it.

Gregory
I saw it with my dad a few hours ago. Definitely one of King's best adaptions (this is not saying much) and probably in the top 30% of horror movies in general. C+ to B-. Better acting than most horror flicks offer, and the degeneration of society under the influence of the fundamentalist was quite well done.

Complaints? The tentacles during their first encounters with the creatures are extremely corny looking. The other monsters were better done, but it was probably a mistake to show them in clear light for as long as they did, IMO.

I thought the ending was somewhat contrived and, even by horror movie standards, gratuitously nasty. If it had ended with them driving off into the mist, I think that might have been better. I also noticed that after the hero shot his companions, they showed three of their corpses--but they didn't have the guts to show the dead kid.

Röland
^ Oh.

That's basically the movie right there.

Chapter 8's "What Happen to the Soldiers. With Amanda. A Conversation with Dan Miller" might get into the Arrowhead project a little more than the movie did. Cause that's my interest. The opening of the dimension and what is that dimension or how and why the military did it.

In the book the Arrowhead project is just mentioned. Nothing goes into detail about it, you just get random thoughts from Drayton.

In the book the two soldiers hang themselves so no one ever gets to talk to them.

Gregory
Just as well; nothing kills horror like overexplaining the situation.

Darth Vicious
I guess timing is everything. I got mixed feelings about the ending. It wasnt bad but I expected a happy ending. The movie itself is pretty good and I recommend it.

Vinny Valentine
This movie is by far AMAZING... The way the script was set, and the story was written... Utterly Fantastic, but I'm a die-hard King fan.... This was great work, I'm going again to see it tomorrow. I advise everyone to go watch it... Pay close attention to the way people talk and how things play out.. It's Amazing.

Ending: 5/5 Stars
Script: 5/5 Stars
Actors: 5/5 Stars

It was fantastic, one of my favorite movies now.

SelphieT
I'll have to definitely see this then.

I thought it was going to be shitty, but if you all think it was that great, I'll have to check it out.

Mairuzu
Loved the movie... as for the ending.. shit happens

Gregory
Not shitty by any means; I think "amazing" is sort of an overstatement, though. I give it a B-. Some of the monster effects were sort of hokey, but the human element is well done.

Impediment
This is a horror film, really. I'll merge it with the existing thread in the Horror Forum.

Zilverz
Seen.. The Mist .. this weekend. Some scenes had redeaming qualities, but the script was just not very good. You know the familar scenes were no one is dumb enough to stick around, they would have hauled azz by now type. Plenty of those! I found a couple other scenes were dialog arguments went on for far too long. With such an extreme situation someone dictating your actions and arguing would just get them decked. Then we have the ending. It is soo horrible I find myself wondering, was this even screen tested? someone couldnt possibly have approved this. If there is a hidden message trying to get pushed through it was shadowed by a completely unrealistic conclusion that did nothing but strengthen my stance on never wanting to see this movie again.

steverules
It has a rather sad ending to it

Neo Darkhalen
why how does it end?

Vinny Valentine
The Religion nut in the market talks of how a kid needs to be sacraficed.. Etc.. 5 Escape into a car and drive until they run out of gas... Gun with 4 bullets... Dad promised kid not to let the monsters eat him... They agree to all die, and the father will kill himself another way... He shoots his son, the girl who loves him, an old lady and an old man... Then he gets out and after trying to kill himself (failing) sees the mist dissapear , and the army coming and destroying all the monsters and woods that were infected. Proving the religious women was right about the son dying, or either that the Mist was moving on to another target... Many different ways to view.. ends with the army trucks driving past and him on his knees crying and screaming... Go watch it... Shame on you for reading this spoiler

Neo Darkhalen
??? thumb up

I doubt I would go and see it.

FistOfThe North
That huge monster at the end just showed how hopeless the situation was at that point. When that huge monster stepped out the way it did, i said "they're screwed." I though the whole planet went under.

I loved the way that song at the end masterfully captured the essence of the hopelessness of the moment.

D-Wag
Movie was good, but i would of liked to see the army attacking the creatures and see them bring down that one enormous one

willofthewisp
I have mixed feelings after seeing it. I feel Stephen King is much better at "natural" horror rather than dabbling into the supernatural. "Misery" is one of his masterpieces. The moments that shine in this story don't have to do with the monsters at all, but with the microcosm that is the grocery store. So I bet a few people went to this movie expecting something else.

It is very similar to The Fog and I wish I knew which one came first. Some of the characters seemed contrived to me, although the acting was very good. As a Christian, though, it gets on my nerves when Hollywood portrays us as troublemakers who just look down on everyone else. One has to watch the undertones of having a character like Ms. (Mrs?) Carmody as the main villain.

What bothered me especially was the ending. I won't say how it ends, but as a pregnant woman, this disturbed me, although it did break some rules in filmmaking, which I respect. But the music was just out of place and if they're going to do that kind of ending, why show what happened directly after that? This is a no-holds-barred movie about what happens when people panic and are cut off from the outside world. This is not a no-holds-barred movie about monsters from another world.

D-Wag
What filmmaking rules did it break? Didn't know there were set rules for films

=Tired Hiker=
I just watched this movie the other night. It was way better than I expected. There were a few minor things I did not like about it, but as a whole, I thought the film was thoroughly entertaining. I did not see that ending coming. It was like a good M. Night film. Better, actually.

quanchi112
Overall a decent flick but the ending was just plain to cruel.

Deano
the whole religious scenerio was over done. and i liked the book ending better.

overall a very good flick though

Kento
I liked the movie a lot until I got to the ending. It was unexpected what he does...but it was stupid. It just took a weird turn at the end that I didn't like.

BackFire
Decent flick.

CGI was a bit lousy at times. Woulda liked it better had we not seen any up close shots of anything.

The big creatures walking through the mist that you couldn't see very clearly were cool, though.

Ending was a bit goofy. Probably something that is better on paper.

willofthewisp
Originally posted by D-Wag
What filmmaking rules did it break? Didn't know there were set rules for films

I don't mean like established rules. I think it made some gutsy choices, is what I meant. Like the ending. No one in the theater I was in saw that coming.

Röland
Originally posted by BackFire
Ending was a bit goofy. Probably something that is better on paper.
I liked the movie, thought it was a good adaptation of the book. But I do agree that the movie ending wasn't that great. Darabont said he did that ending so there would be no cause for a sequel.

The novella ending is entirely different and I wish they would have used it.

In the novella, Drayton is writing down the story in a hotel after the events have transpired. While they were driving away from the market in the Scout he cycled through the radio stations to see if anyone was talking and he thinks he hears one word on the end of the AM band. Back in the hotel his boy is sleeping and he goes to whisper two words into his son's ear. "Hope" and "Hartford".

ragesRemorse
yeah, the ending was ridiculous and, i felt, out of character.

Darth Vicious

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by Zilverz
It is soo horrible I find myself wondering, was this even screen tested? someone couldnt possibly have approved this. If there is a hidden message trying to get pushed through it was shadowed by a completely unrealistic conclusion that did nothing but strengthen my stance on never wanting to see this movie again.

The studio offered to double the financing for the movie if Darabont changed the ending. He didn't. He got them big balls. The ending fitted perfectly; based on their experiences they believed they were doomed.

Originally posted by D-Wag
Movie was good, but i would of liked to see the army attacking the creatures and see them bring down that one enormous one

Go watch Starship Troopers, and masturbate all you want.

Originally posted by willofthewisp
As a Christian, though, it gets on my nerves when Hollywood portrays us as troublemakers who just look down on everyone else. One has to watch the undertones of having a character like Ms. (Mrs?) Carmody as the main villain.

She was a Christian fundamentalist, so I think her being the main villain is perfectly realistic.

Anyway, woof! What an ending! Great movie.

Deano
good ending but i think they gave in much too quickly. should of waited longer before killing one another

MildPossession
The dodgy cgi put me off in the trailers. Is this out on region 1? sure I saw it out, can buy it cheaper than going to see it at the cinemas here in the UK.

Blinky
I enjoyed the film but I can understand why people thought the ending was weak. Personally it's one of the few movies in recent memory that exceeded my expectations rather than falling way short of my them.

Neo Darkhalen
indeed the ending was a bit weak, i liked the books ending more.

Neo_Version 7
Movie ending fo me, dawg.

Blinky
After reading the book I can say that I too"liked the books ending more" embarrasment .

After reading the book I can also say that I think I might know why the movie was ended the way it was. The book had an open-ended ending, this to your average movie go-er would seem like no ending at all and would probably leave people waiting for The Mist 2. Ending the movie as they did pretty much made sure that there was no way Hollywood could make a sequel... or for that matter even think about it.

Then again there is your more obvious answer that it was done for shock value. Who knows?

Bada's Palin
Loved the huge creatures that were barely visible, ending was hi-larious.

Top score!

deathbycorn
I love how heaps of horror nerds carry on and say how good the ending to The Mist is.

Mate, if you couldn't see that coming you're blind.

It's a decent flick, but its way overrated.

discod
Rubbish film total waste of time watching it.

Roomy
I enjoyed it, it was maybe a little too long.The ending was one of the most ironic I have seen in a movie, usually bottled out of by hollywood bigwigs.

MildPossession
Well I adore the ending, fits in well with everything that went on in the film, especially what came out of the religious nut's mouth. Glad they changed the ending to the book, well apparently the director did, the producers wanted the happy book ending.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.