Forgotten Realms Discussion Thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Battlehammer
This is purly a disscussion thread on forgotten realms characters who have been presented in comics.

How has every one enjoyed the comics so far.

Which of the comics do you read?

Who is your favorit characters.

Do you think they stay true to the books?

DigiMark007
I like Guen, mostly because I named my pet panther in Oblivion after her, and she's saved me probably a dozen or more times.

...and I don't know how many people read Drizzt comics besides us capt. Hopefully it generates interest, but it's really rather obscure on the comic totem pole.

Creshosk
Originally posted by DigiMark007
I like Guen, mostly because I named my pet panther in Oblivion after her, and she's saved me probably a dozen or more times.

...and I don't know how many people read Drizzt comics besides us capt. Hopefully it generates interest, but it's really rather obscure on the comic totem pole. *phew* You already know about the comics... I was going to come in here to justify this thread because I think most people know Forgotten realms from the novels or the games...

Anywho since I bothered finding a picture of it... D.C . published a forgotten realms line.
http://www.thecomicshop.com.au/covers/comics/f/forgotten/forgottenrealms-001-dc-nm.jpg

Broken Darkness
Didn't know there was a comic for it. Is it any good?

Been watching my husband play Oblivion lately, and it looks good. The stories in the comics as good as the games?

DigiMark007
Oblivion doesn't have a comic. But the Drizzt series is actually fairly well done, and I think there's 1-2 other current series (not including that older one Cresh posted).

Battlehammer
Originally posted by Creshosk
*phew* You already know about the comics... I was going to come in here to justify this thread because I think most people know Forgotten realms from the novels or the games...

Anywho since I bothered finding a picture of it... D.C . published a forgotten realms line.
http://www.thecomicshop.com.au/covers/comics/f/forgotten/forgottenrealms-001-dc-nm.jpg
nice

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by Broken Darkness
Didn't know there was a comic for it. Is it any good?

Been watching my husband play Oblivion lately, and it looks good. The stories in the comics as good as the games?

The art is awful but its a pretty good adaption of the books and Artemis in comic form = wicked...

...even if you have to stomach an emo elf and his loser dwarf companion evil face

Battlehammer
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
The art is awful but its a pretty good adaption of the books and Artemis in comic form = wicked...

...even if you have to stomach an emo elf and his loser dwarf companion evil face
lol

I got a little annoyed at the comic because wulfgar had a few parts were he did things that Bruenor actually did in the books and not wulfgar.

starlock
DC had Dragonlance also

I like the new comics but like Battlehammer says,its a little annoying when actions in the books are messed with

DigiMark007
Meh, I'd rather just read a good comic than a carbon-copy of the novel.

But starlock's right, I think they've been doing the DragonLance series too... it's not Forgotten Realms, but similar stuff. I tried reading the books once and failed (they weren't too great, imo).

starlock
Meh, I'd rather just read a good comic than a carbon-copy of the novel.

But starlock's right, I think they've been doing the DragonLance series too... it's not Forgotten Realms, but similar stuff. I tried reading the books once and failed (they weren't too great, imo).

The world would be Krynn-for dragonlance

Dragonlance novels had a little of everything love,hate,adventure etc

Forgottenrealms- The crystal shard(basicly anything with Drizztz) are mainly action focused novels

A friend told me reading the crystal shard trilogy was like a comic book

Battlehammer
I have read dragon lance many of them. My favorit characte ris flint. I also read the comcis of them which are pritty accurate.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by starlock
The world would be Krynn-for dragonlance

Dragonlance novels had a little of everything love,hate,adventure etc

Forgottenrealms- The crystal shard(basicly anything with Drizztz) are mainly action focused novels

A friend told me reading the crystal shard trilogy was like a comic book

It's not a bad comparison. Salvatore lacks the subtleties of most true novels, but has superb characters and action. The effect is a very stylized series that seems as much like a movie or comic as it does a novel.

emporerpants
who would you guys say is the best fighter in the forgotten realms?

Battlehammer
depends on what weapons.

For example the bests wordsmen is drzzt.

Best Axe and shield fighter is Bruenor

Really depends on the weapons being used.

bruenor would suck with two simitars while drizzt would suck with an axe an shield

emporerpants
well, i mean, who would win in a fight if everyone is given their best weapons?

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by emporerpants

I imagine someone from Gareth Dragonsbane's party, those guys were all nuts. Artemis was just plan out classed when he went up against Olwen after he was blamed for Mariabronne's death... and Olwen is hardly the big guns in that party (Master Kane is a monster). Other then them I would say that with all his gear it would be next to impossible to take down Jarlaxle, other then him a tose up between Artemis and Athrogate.

I think everyone in Gareth Dragonsbane's party is level 21 plus (one of them might be 30), Drizzt is a level 16 and Artemis is 18 (although he was stated as 26 in 2nd Edition!) so you can get a pretty good idea on how they outclass Drizzt and this company.

emporerpants
indeed, after reading the last book, my opinion would be that grandmaster kane is the best.

Battlehammer
heard the new book is sick. Also heard it shows bruenor stalemating a guy who stalemated oblond( orc king how ever you spell it)

also heard the prelude talks about 100 years in the future and that bruenor is killed in battle any one know if this is true?

Battlehammer
I imagine someone from Gareth Dragonsbane's party, those guys were all nuts. Artemis was just plan out classed when he went up against Olwen after he was blamed for Mariabronne's death... and Olwen is hardly the big guns in that party (Master Kane is a monster). Other then them I would say that with all his gear it would be next to impossible to take down Jarlaxle, other then him a tose up between Artemis and Athrogate.

I think everyone in Gareth Dragonsbane's party is level 21 plus (one of them might be 30), Drizzt is a level 16 and Artemis is 18 (although he was stated as 26 in 2nd Edition!) so you can get a pretty good idea on how they outclass Drizzt and this company.
............are you serous . dude the stats have nothing to do with the books.

I once saw a no named character from one of the books who could not even hand drizzt or bruenor even if they were unarmed stated as a level 26..........

The stats are carbage they don't even have bruenors equitpmen or weapon correct.

Battlehammer
bruenor and drizzt.

in my opinion are the two greatest warriors.

starlock
you guys are going to make me go and catch up on my books lol

Anybody remember the singing priest i think his name was Caderly..he used a drow crossbow for a while with explosive bolts? i read like 6 or more of his books, he got powerfull real fast and then aged from his magic. what was the books names? the books are not available to me at the moment,but i loved them, might want to revisit them

MightyEInherjar
Heh, I'm going out to eat with Bob Salvatore tonight at 7.

Just thought that was relevant to this thread, especially because Capt thinks I'm full of it. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Battlehammer
.....becuase you are...............

MightyEInherjar
Originally posted by Battlehammer
.....becuase you are...............

Think what you'd like man. Salvatore was in KC today for a book signing (Orc King, obviously), and the guys and I from Tabletop Games & Hobby took him out to eat after the signing.

Battlehammer
.......ya and I was cruising around town with larry bird...........

MightyEInherjar
.......ya and I was cruising around town with larry bird...........
roll eyes (sarcastic)

Larry Bird is a national celebrity.

Bob Salvatore is a fantasy author.

Huge difference.

Jade Lightning
Whoever hinted that Artemis is better than Drizzt.... have you read any of the books they've fought in, because if I remember correctly Drizzt has handed him his ass in single combat several times.

srankmissingnin
............are you serous . dude the stats have nothing to do with the books.

I once saw a no named character from one of the books who could not even hand drizzt or bruenor even if they were unarmed stated as a level 26..........

The stats are carbage they don't even have bruenors equitpmen or weapon correct.

No stats are given in any of the fantasy books, they are only provided in campaign books for the table top / miniature game. In order for a character be name a level 26... someone would have needed to write about them in on of the Forgotten Realms campaign books... which would make them far from nameless. An while the stats aren't always up to date (Artemis' haven't update since before he aquired Charon's Claw I believe), they are alway fairly accurate

In short: You either have no idea what you are talking about or you are flat out lying.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by Jade Lightning
Whoever hinted that Artemis is better than Drizzt.... have you read any of the books they've fought in, because if I remember correctly Drizzt has handed him his ass in single combat several times.

Oh please Drizzt is always about to lose when Bob introduces a dues-ex machina that allows the Drow to miraculously pull his fat out of the fire, he wins on pure luck, not skill. Artemis is better then Drizzt, he was created to be better then Drizzt (created to kill Drizzt actually but WotC wouldn't let Bob do it) and they haven't fought since Artemis was a) de-aged and b) acquired Charon's Claw (one nick would end up killing Drizzt in the long run).

... and before Artemis was de-aged he had a pretty significant skill increase to compinsate for his decline speed and reflexes. Now he is stronger and faster (and most importantly, a better fighter) then he ever was before and being part Shade he may out live Drizzt! With his current equipment and stats, Artemis would steam roll Drizzt.

Badabing
Sorry to go off topic but what's the status of the Wolverine Respect thread Srank?

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by Badabing
Sorry to go off topic but what's the status of the Wolverine Respect thread Srank?

I have to finish write ups for the scans then I'll send the links/descriptions to Jinzin so he can compile them the way he wants. He has a certain layout / organization he wants to use so the whole read is unified.

I'm at my parents this weekend for thanksgiving and most of my week will be spent studying for my Art History midterm but hopefully after that I will have some free time to finish my write ups since I think all my Art and Design studio class have a one week lull in the projects/work load.

Badabing
I have to finish write ups for the scans then I'll send the links/descriptions to Jinzin so he can compile them the way he wants. He has a certain layout / organization he wants to use so the whole read is unified.

I'm at my parents this weekend for thanksgiving and most of my week will be spent studying for my Art History midterm but hopefully after that I will have some free time to finish my write ups since I think all my Art and Design studio class have a one week lull in the projects/work load. Cool. Have a good Thanksgiving and good luck on your midterm.

Jade Lightning
Oh please Drizzt is always about to lose when Bob introduces a dues-ex machina that allows the Drow to miraculously pull his fat out of the fire, he wins on pure luck, not skill. Artemis is better then Drizzt, he was created to be better then Drizzt (created to kill Drizzt actually but WotC wouldn't let Bob do it) and they haven't fought since Artemis was a) de-aged and b) acquired Charon's Claw (one nick would end up killing Drizzt in the long run).

... and before Artemis was de-aged he had a pretty significant skill increase to compinsate for his decline speed and reflexes. Now he is stronger and faster (and most importantly, a better fighter) then he ever was before and being part Shade he may out live Drizzt! With his current equipment and stats, Artemis would steam roll Drizzt.

You're dillusional dude, can u give one example of Artemis beating Drizzt fair and square... can u give one example of how Drizzt got "lucky" enough to beat Drizzt. Did you even read Artemis's own books where he makes frequent mention of the multiple times that Drizzt humiliated him?

srankmissingnin
You're dillusional dude, can u give one example of Artemis beating Drizzt fair and square... can u give one example of how Drizzt got "lucky" enough to beat Drizzt. Did you even read Artemis's own books where he makes frequent mention of the multiple times that Drizzt humiliated him?

Drizzt only has one win against Artemis, a win that he flat out stated was because of pure luck and nothing else. He got lucky; Artemis' eye got swollen over, leaving a massive blind spot that Drizzt capitalized on... he said it him self right after he "beat" Artemis (it is in his journal also). He never beat Artemis because he was his superior he beat him because he got luck when the head bunted each other and Artemis eye swelled over. Artemis even held the advantaged (both Jarlaxle and his dark elf crew and Drizzt's companions thought Artemis had him) but his condition continued to deteriorate until Drizzt pulled out a win. It was a plot device victory, one that was needed because Drizzt can't best Artemis on skill alone... and that is ignoring the fact that Artemis states, in that very book, that in the decade since he first met Drizzt he has become slower and his reflexes have dulled because of his age.

And Artemis is upset that Drizzt was killed because of Kimmuriel's interference. He wanted to best Drizzt in a fair fight or die trying but instead Drizzt was killed (as far as Artemis knows anyway) because of Kimmuriel's magic, so wasn't the closure he was after.

Battlehammer
No stats are given in any of the fantasy books, they are only provided in campaign books for the table top / miniature game. In order for a character be name a level 26... someone would have needed to write about them in on of the Forgotten Realms campaign books... which would make them far from nameless. An while the stats aren't always up to date (Artemis' haven't update since before he aquired Charon's Claw I believe), they are alway fairly accurate

In short: You either have no idea what you are talking about or you are flat out lying.
Neither and you know better then that.

Please jsut read bruenor character.....it says he has one eye....false.........he wields a great axe...false..........does not even mention his shield as his equiptment.

His entire character is completely rubbish.

The stats are wrong. Theya re not written by the author and are worse then marvel hand books yet your trying to use that as soem sort of evidences come on srank.

srankmissingnin
Neither and you know better then that.

Please jsut read bruenor character.....it says he has one eye....false.........he wields a great axe...false..........does not even mention his shield as his equiptment.

His entire character is completely rubbish.

The stats are wrong. Theya re not written by the author and are worse then marvel hand books yet your trying to use that as soem sort of evidences come on srank.

Bruenor lost his eye in The Legacy, it was restored by magic, and he uses a a +3 great axe. You are right that they forgot to mention his shield in his Silver Marches entry but that is the only mistake in his bio or stats.

The Forgotten Realms books are all written around the stats system and campaign settings, which is completely different then the Marvel stats/bios. The Forgotten Realms forgotten realms campaign setting has a deep and complex lore, and a set of rules to match it, all the Forgotten Realms characters adhere to these rules and there stats/class determine the abilities and feats they can preform. The D&D campaign books and the novels work together in unison and are both overseen by Ed Green (I think) to maintain unity and avoid contradiction. What you don't understand is the the novels exist for the sole purpose of enriching and providing a deeper understanding of the lore in provided campaign settings, they aren't a separate entity.

boriquaking55
Now I'm not at all familiar with FR comics or anything, but does Elminster make any comic appearances at all? He's always been my favorite character from FR (I say nay to all ye who say he is but a rip-off of the classic Gandalf arch-type)

Battlehammer
Bruenor lost his eye in The Legacy, it was restored by magic, and he uses a a +3 great axe. You are right that they forgot to mention his shield in his Silver Marches entry but that is the only mistake in his bio or stats.

The Forgotten Realms books are all written around the stats system and campaign settings, which is completely different then the Marvel stats/bios. The Forgotten Realms forgotten realms campaign setting has a deep and complex lore, and a set of rules to match it, all the Forgotten Realms characters adhere to these rules and there stats/class determine the abilities and feats they can preform. The D&D campaign books and the novels work together in unison and are both overseen by Ed Green (I think) to maintain unity and avoid contradiction. What you don't understand is the the novels exist for the sole purpose of enriching and providing a deeper understanding of the lore in provided campaign settings, they aren't a separate entity.

your completely wrong first off a great axe can not be wielded one handed.......first mistake. second sheild was missing.

Those to mistakes alone prove that it a bunch of crap.

there completely sepperate. There worse then hand books and are not even close to factaul evidence.

you should know better then to use things such as hand books as reasonable evidence were they clearly cotrodict the books.

masterbruce
your completely wrong first off a great axe can not be wielded one handed.......first mistake. second sheild was missing.

there completely sepperate. There worse then hand books and are not even close to factaul evidence.

you should know better then to use things such as hand books as reasonable evidence were they clearly cotrodict the books.

battlethimble, perhaps the novels are wrong and the handbooks are correct. wink

Blur
Originally posted by masterbruce
battlethimble, perhaps the novels are wrong and the handbooks are correct. wink That makes no sense.

So what actually happens is wrong, but what some off beat writer who wrote the handbook is right?

Have you no common sense???

masterbruce
Originally posted by Blur
That makes no sense.

So what actually happens is wrong, but what some off beat writer who wrote the handbook is right?

no, perhaps the handbooks came first, and then the novels were written based on those characters in the handbooks...isn't that srank's point?

Blur
no, perhaps the handbooks came first, and then the novels were written based on those characters in the handbooks...isn't that srank's point? Maybe so but how often are handbooks EVER right?

srankmissingnin

confused

He is a dwarf... he can wield a greataxe one handed if he wants to and it is treated as a hand axe in the D&D rules.

The information in the campaign books are nearly spot on.

masterbruce
Maybe so but how often are handbooks EVER right?

but this isn't comics...you can't assume the same about handbooks for every genre being wrong just because they're wrong in marvel

Battlehammer
battlethimble, perhaps the novels are wrong and the handbooks are correct. wink

your an idiot.

have you ever even read a forgotten realm book?

What srank is talking about are games. D&D to be more accurate.

D&D came first, but not the characters were discussing.

The characters are from books called forgotten realms. They became popular so DND made MPC designs for them. However these designs are not accurate in the least nor did they ask the authors oppion on the matter.

srankmissingnin
That makes no sense.

The Forgotten Realms campaign books are written by Ed Greenwood (or at least the one in question here), the guy who created the Forgotten Realms Campaign setting and has written the majority of the books that take place in it. Salvatore is just playing in Ed's sandbox.

Battlehammer
confused

He is a dwarf... he can wield a greataxe one handed if he wants to and it is treated as a hand axe in the D&D rules.

The information in the campaign books are nearly spot on.
no he cant actaully they can only wield dwarven war axes one ended. Great axes are complete different story. I play the game.

No there not spot on there actaully extremely in accurate nor does the authors have an say in the matter.

there worse then hand books and are worthless evidence.

go off books feats not some D&D crap that means nothing it simply a game.

masterbruce
your an idiot.

have you ever even read a forgotten realm book?

What srank is talking about are games. D&D to be more accurate.

D&D came first, but not the characters were discussing.

The characters are from books called forgotten realms. They became popular so DND made MPC designs for them. However these designs are not accurate in the least nor did they ask the authors oppion on the matter.

1. no, I'm not an idiot.

2. yes, I've read some of the Icewind Dale books and am familiar with Wulfgur and Drizst.

3. so did Salvatore create the characters?

srankmissingnin
Maybe so but how often are handbooks EVER right?

The only mistake Battlehammer can find is that Bruenor's shield was left out of his list of possessions... so... you be the judge.

Battlehammer
The only mistake Battlehammer can find is that Bruenor's shield was left out of his list of possessions... so... you be the judge.
his weapon is in correct. The stats can't be proven to be correct. The lveling makes no senses for any of the character also if not mistaken fret is a level 26 or some crap

Battlehammer
1. no, I'm not an idiot.

2. yes, I've read some of the Icewind Dale books and am familiar with Wulfgur and Drizst.

3. so did Salvatore create the characters?

your full of shit.............

whats the books name that you read and what happen in it?

..............is that 3rd question a real question.............

masterbruce
your full of shit.............

whats the books name that you read and what happen in it?

..............is that 3rd question a real question.............

1. battlethimble, please keep this discussion civil

2. I don't remember, but I think it was Servant of the Shard, the book aobut Drizzt. And I forget the book about Wulfgar's title, but I did read it.

3. yes it was a serious question. Who created these characters?

Battlehammer
.....your a lair. Your making every thing up. You clearly never read the books........also who reads a book that take places in the middle of a serires...........with out reading the other books?

yes RA created his characters all but ivan and piki

Battlehammer
also who forgetts what happen in books they read..........come on now masterbruce your lying is gettign out of hand jsut admitt you never read the books since you flat out proved it with your posts

masterbruce
also who forgetts what happen in books they read..........come on now masterbruce your lying is gettign out of hand jsut admitt you never read the books since you flat out proved it with your posts

you are really getting annoying. if I wanted to, I could've easily googled the plot of the books and posted it. I read those books, and I don't really care if you believe me or not. and alot of people forget what they read.

Battlehammer
you are really getting annoying. if I wanted to, I could've easily googled the plot of the books and posted it. I read those books, and I don't really care if you believe me or not. and alot of people forget what they read.

you don't read the books your full of it.

also when we going to the battle zone? you think thing wins now so lets do it.

Blur
That would be funny. I doubt he will do it know.

masterbruce
That would be funny. I doubt he will do it know. yeah, too many people hate me on this boad.

Battlehammer
so again your whimping out.............wow.

masterbruce
so again your whimping out.............wow. I'm not wimping out. It would be impossible to find fair judges who aren't biased against me right now. You know that's true.

Blur
yeah, too many people hate me on this boad. I don't hate you, I could judge.

Sounds like your a coward to be honest.

Battlehammer
I'm not wimping out. It would be impossible to find fair judges who aren't biased against me right now. You know that's true.
not really darth for one is not.

trust me the biasness of judges won't be the reason you lose.............

Jade Lightning
The Forgotten Realms campaign books are written by Ed Greenwood (or at least the one in question here), the guy who created the Forgotten Realms Campaign setting and has written the majority of the books that take place in it. Salvatore is just playing in Ed's sandbox.

And Greenwood is playing with Salvatore's characters...

Furthermore, no Greenwood has not written the majority of the novels that take place in the Forgotten realms campaign setting... He has written a good amount, but there are plenty of other authors within the forgotten realms world. Also, by Salvatore's own words Drizzt is the best...

masterbruce

trust me the biasness of judges won't be the reason you lose.............

you're right about that...since I wouldn't lose to you, Battlethimble. wink

srankmissingnin
no he cant actaully they can only wield dwarven war axes one ended. Great axes are complete different story. I play the game.

Shit that's right but considering the bio I'd say this is Bruenor circa the end of The Legacy. Didn't he get a 2h greataxe and Mithril plate armor after he was crowned king? The gear is accuare then, although out of date.

Blur
you're right about that...since I wouldn't lose to you, Battlethimble. wink

You sound like you would, and the fact you wont debate shows that.

Battlehammer
haahahaha. Im thinking of making a poll about it and I garentee the majority of the people say I stomp you.

oh and stop being a whimp and lets do this. I can't wait for your reasons for why thing beats wolverine lol...........man it better not be that things hands move faster then Logans becuase I will laugh all day long.

Battlehammer
Shit that's right but considering the bio I'd say this is Bruenor circa the end of The Legacy. Didn't he get a 2h greataxe and Mithril plate armor after he was crowned king? The gear is accuare then, although out of date.

nope it still incorrect bruenor has always wielded a dwarven war axe and shield.

also he got his new shield and dwarven war axe in the second book well before the legacy even began

this further prove my point how inaccurate they are.

Battlehammer
also I heard bruenor shield actually breaks in this battle in the new book

srankmissingnin
nope it still incorrect bruenor has always wielded a dwarven war axe and shield.

also he got his new shield and dwarven war axe in the second book well before the legacy even began

this further prove my point how inaccurate they are.

I don't remember. I'll re-read Legacy after I finish the Orc King.

Battlehammer
I don't remember. I'll re-read Legacy after I finish the Orc King.
im right trust me.

streams of silver is were bruenor find his axe and shield from his grand father as well as the armor.

how do you like the orc king so far

Jade Lightning
The Orc King was awesome and further solidified the already apparent fact that Drizzt and Bruenor are unrivaled as far as warriors go, at least when compared to Pwent and the others. If i am not mistaken, didn't the handbook place Pwent at a higher level than Drizzt and Bruenor...?

srankmissingnin
The Orc King was awesome and further solidified the already apparent fact that Drizzt and Bruenor are unrivaled as far as warriors go, at least when compared to Pwent and the others. If i am not mistaken, didn't the handbook place Pwent at a higher level than Drizzt and Bruenor...?

Thimbledorf Pwent doesn't have an offical entry as far as I know.

And The Orc King is okay so far, Obould is a great character that needs to be explored much more.

Jade Lightning
Thimbledorf Pwent doesn't have an offical entry as far as I know.

And The Orc King is okay so far, Obould is a great character that needs to be explored much more.

Actually I agree with you where Obould is concerned. I'm happy with what Bob has done, adding a bit of depth to such an unorthodox character. When I say The Orc King is awesome, I am referring to the last few chapters and the final battle contained therein... I think it is the best in any of the books.

Battlehammer
I think fret had a listing of a level 26 lol.

oblould is a cool character

srankmissingnin
how do you like the orc king so far

I just finished reading The Orc King, and I have to say it is a massive (massive!) improvement to The Hunter's Blades Trilogy. Actually, that doesn't do The Orc King justice, since The Hunter's Blades Trilogy is composed of the worst three books Salvatore has ever written, I'd have to say this his the best Drizzt focused book since The Halfing's Gem... well... maybe The Silent Blade.

Salvatore's two book break from Drizzt has done him good. After The Hunter's Blades Trilogy, I thought that Salvatore was just going through the motions with Drizzt for a paycheck, but he has managed to breath life into a series that has been stale for a long while. This is a huge step forward for Drizzt, not just story wise but the actually level of writing is leaps and bounds ahead of The Hunter's Blades Trilogy. A welcome change is the fact that Drizzt doesn't ***** and moan about killing Ellifain and his worries about being with Catti-brie over and over again, for page after page, with entire paragraphs that looked like they were just copied and pasted into the book to fatten it up. I don't know who deserves the credit, Salvatore or his editor but thank god!.

I don't want to spoil the book but there is actually some character development and change to the statuesque on characters that have been static and pretty much the same for years. The best parts of the book involve Obould, Tos'un and Hralien (who are all infinitely more interesting then Drizzt and co) I'd like to read some solo adventures but hopefully they get more development in the next two books.

Now I have to wait two years for this series to finish and maybe three more years if Salvatore decides to do a Cadderly trilogy like he wants before there is even a chance at another Artemis book... damn.

Battlehammer
I personally love the thousand orc triligy. Lone drow ending was one of my favorit scene in any of the books as was the fight at shallows in thousand orcs.

Gecko4lif
Orc king came out?

I NEED TO GET IT

srankmissingnin
I personally love the thousand orc triligy. Lone drow ending was one of my favorit scene in any of the books as was the fight at shallows in thousand orcs.

I hated it, Salvatore's writing has never been top shelf (he is no Martin or Gemmel or anything like that) but it was just awful in the The Hunter's Blades Trilogy. Re-read the trilogy again and take note of all the times Drizzts thoughts about killing and his doubts over loving Catti-bre are repeated... its maddening. How many times does Drizzt need to say "*cry* *cry*, I'm sooooooo sad I killed Ellifain, I need to talk about it for a few sentences or paragraphs ever ten pages" or " cry cry Catti-bre is human and I'm a Drow, *cry* *cry* even if we get together I'm totally gonna out live her... I think I should repeat this fact in equal measure through out the book also to drive up the page count."

The fight between Obould and Drizzt at the end of Two Swords was good though, amung the top 5 Salvatore fights.

Everyone make sure to pick up Troy: Fall of Kings by David Gemmel when you go to pick up The Orc King. The last book he wrote before he died just came out on the 2nd and every one should read it... hell read any book he has writen! If you think Salvatore writes good fight scenes you will shit your pants when you read Gemmel.

Battlehammer
I hated it, Salvatore's writing has never been top shelf (he is no Martin or Gemmel or anything like that) but it was just awful in the The Hunter's Blades Trilogy. Re-read the trilogy again and take note of all the times Drizzts thoughts about killing and his doubts over loving Catti-bre are repeated... its maddening. How many times does Drizzt need to say "*cry* *cry*, I'm sooooooo sad I killed Ellifain, I need to talk about it for a few sentences or paragraphs ever ten pages" or " cry cry Catti-bre is human and I'm a Drow, *cry* *cry* even if we get together I'm totally gonna out live her... I think I should repeat this fact in equal measure through out the book also to drive up the page count."

The fight between Obould and Drizzt at the end of Two Swords was good though, amung the top 5 Salvatore fights.

Everyone make sure to pick up Troy: Fall of Kings by David Gemmel when you go to pick up The Orc King. The last book he wrote before he died just came out on the 2nd and every one should read it... hell read any book he has writen! If you think Salvatore writes good fight scenes you will shit your pants when you read Gemmel.
salvator is my favorite auther. I have read the thousand orc triligy many times. I simply don't agree it was bad. I loved it actaully. The fight scene were greater.

The part were bruenor makes his stand on the boulder in lone drow was one if not my favorit scene in any of the books. I also loved all the battles in thousand orc book. I loved the new characters introduced as well. I love drizzt return to the hunter. I simply loved the books. My least favorite book of salvator was the one focus souly on wulgar.

emporerpants
i have to agree with battlehammer, the thousand orc trilogy was pretty good imo, and spine of the world (the wulfgar one) wasn't all that great.

srankmissingnin
Spine of the world sucked. It is the fourth worse book... right behind the poorly written Hunter's Blade Trilogy. wink

Battlehammer
Spine of the world sucked. It is the fourth worse book... right behind the poorly written Hunter's Blade Trilogy. wink

............the orc triligy was good.

wulfgar book sucked. It was far below that of the orc triligy

srankmissingnin
............the orc triligy was good.

wulfgar book sucked. It was far below that of the orc triligy

It was a poorly written series of books that were full of pointless fluff that drove up the page count. It had no significant character development amung the main cast and there was no change the status quo. Three books full of pointless melodrama that add nothing to the overall "plot", with a fight scene thrown in here and there for good measure. It was a pointless, poorly executed throw back Legacy of the Drow.

The Hunter's Blade Trilogy was just a mash up of all of Salvatore's other storys with Drizzt's tiresome inner monologues overpowering everything else in the novels. The saving grave of the Trilogy was Obould.

You liked the Bruenor wanking. Okay, cool, but thats like me picking a single panel from Wolverine Origins and saying: This is an awsome book, just look at this panel.

And Thousand Orcs is book one in The Hunter's Blade Trilogy. There is no Thousand Orcs Trilogy, it's called The Hunter's Blade Trilogy.

To each his own... but the fact that Salvatore is your favourite auther is very telling. sad

Battlehammer
It was a poorly written series of books that were full of pointless fluff that drove up the page count. It had no significant character development amung the main cast and there was no change the status quo. Three books full of pointless melodrama that add nothing to the overall "plot", with a fight scene thrown in here and there for good measure. It was a pointless, poorly executed throw back Legacy of the Drow.

You liked the Bruenor wanking. Okay, cool, but thats like me picking a single panel from Wolverine Origins and saying: This is an awsome book, just look at this panel.

And Thousand Orcs is book one in The Hunter's Blade Trilogy. There is no Thousand Orcs Trilogy, it's called The Hunter's Blade Trilogy.

To each his own... but the fact that Salvatore is your favourite auther is very telling. sad

Not really. Drizzt was able to come to terms with the fact his friends were likly dead. He was able to learn what it truelly ment to be an elf. The book had points and character development. Just becuase you don't like it does not mean it was not a good book.

Bruenor wanking? He was bearly in the books he was pritty much dead for all of lone drow. It was much more about drizzt catter and wulfgar. I also loved the fight on the cliffs pwent togar, ted and so forth are great characters.

yes I know it called the hunter blade trilogy.

salvator is an amazing author.

emporerpants
salvatore is an ok author. he damn sure isn't a best, but he's not the worst either. i still thing the hunter's blade trilogy was decent, but i admit that maybe thats just because adore drizzt and company.

Utrigita
Ed Greenwood is a brilliant writer IMO, The Guy created Elminster big grin

Jade Lightning
I would not say Salvatore is an amazing author, but I would not agree that The Hunter's Blades was terrible. I agree that Drizzt's monologues did repeat the same messages over and over again and I think Salvatore could have SHOWN us how Drizzt was feeling through his actions rather than spell it our for us in monologues, but it gives the reader a more intimate relationship with the lead character.

As far as writing itself goes, Salvatore is no Tolkien, Gaiman, or even Weis or Hickman. His settings are not described in much detail- not that that's always a bad thing- and he rarely showcases original ideas. Two things he does well: he has a gnack for writing exciting, gripping action scenes and he doesn't get bogged down in pointless exposition, although I would enjoy a bit more exposition than we're usually offered in his books. His split narrative keeps you turning the pages, but leaves little room for one to become completely engrossed with any one scene, so the whole work, rather than a specific scene stands out... good or bad, that's just how it is and it depends on how you see it.

Battlehammer
what tier would drizzt,bruenor,wulfgar,pwent be in fighting skills

Battlehammer
Was any one else disapointed in the latest comic to come out of the haftlings gem

Gecko4lif
what tier would drizzt,bruenor,wulfgar,pwent be in fighting skills

Drizzt - high

Bruenor- Low high - High middle
Pwent - High middle

Wulfgar- High low

Soljer
I don't remember the characters' names, but wasn't there also some human that stalemated Drizzt in a swordfight?

Wouldn't he, also, therefore, be high?

StylishSmurph
What's Drizzt done that would put him at high?

Not that I'm disagreeing, just curious.

Battlehammer
Originally posted by Gecko4lif
Drizzt - high

Bruenor- Low high - High middle
Pwent - High middle

Wulfgar- High low
yo do realize bruenor more skilled then pwent right?

Gecko4lif
yo do realize bruenor more skilled then pwent right?
Which is why I put him higher

Originally posted by StylishSmurph
What's Drizzt done that would put him at high?

Not that I'm disagreeing, just curious.

Killing Dantrag barnre
Kill hundreds of thousands of orcs, goblins etc
Kill dozens of orges and Giants
Killing dozens of drow
Killing A high level demon twice, a mid level demon and several Deomans
Also killing a Dragon and countless Barbarains.

Not to mention beating the most skilled assassin ever and not dying Against Zakneifen

Battlehammer
If bruenor and drizzt fought they stalemate. though it hard to say if bruenor is drizzt level of skill or it be do to his style and attributes.

Battlehammer
Originally posted by Soljer
I don't remember the characters' names, but wasn't there also some human that stalemated Drizzt in a swordfight?

Wouldn't he, also, therefore, be high?

He lost to drizzt more times then not,but ya he be high.

in my opinion the best fighters in the realms in drizzt series
is bruenor and drizzt. Last book just shows them at a level beyond pwent and them.

they also go some crazy feats.

Gecko4lif
Zakneifien will always be number 1 in my book
Both times they fought he had drizzt beat

Battlehammer
that was a long time ago and drizzt has improved a lot.

emporerpants
actually, wouldn't grandmaster kane destroy all of them? i mean, considering how high above artemis he's supposed be.

Battlehammer
no idea who that is I never read the books just about artimis

Gecko4lif
that was a long time ago and drizzt has improved a lot.
Zak would have improved also cool

Adn yes. GM Kane is probably the most powerful non-magic user in current Fearun

A close second would be shurppak

Battlehammer
Zak would have improved also cool

Adn yes. GM Kane is probably the most powerful non-magic user in current Fearun

A close second would be shurppak
no idea who they are ive only read all the books with the companion in them which is a lot lol that series is huge.

It doubtful zak would have improved. He had hit his peak. Actaully I think he may even have refference that.

emporerpants
you should read those books battlehammer, they're pretty decent. a good way to describe grandmaster kane is this: two copper dragons were scared shitless of him. they knew that even if they attacked him at the same time, he'd still take them.

Battlehammer
you should read those books battlehammer, they're pretty decent. a good way to describe grandmaster kane is this: two copper dragons were scared shitless of him. they knew that even if they attacked him at the same time, he'd still take them.

nice what what are the titles of the books so I can look them up?

also do you know any good forgotten realm books with a dwarf fighter as the main character or supporting character?

emporerpants
well, the two artemis books are "promise of the witch king" and "road of the patriarch." as far as books with dwarf fighters as the main character, i'm not sure. the two artemis books i just mentioned do have a dwarf fighter named athrogate that you might like though. he's a very good fighter and he's pretty much an evil dwarf.

Gecko4lif
Grandmaste kane and his crew arent actually main characters in any book yet but they were in some 2nd edition core epic hand books

Battlehammer
Thanks ya my cousin was tell me about it. I read part of the book the dwarf pritty cool.

kane pritty much hyperbole though he has not really done anything,

hand books are dumb don't bother with them. They grossly inaccurate on many character.

Gecko4lif
this is back when they were MAKING the characters

so everything you know of them is because of these

Battlehammer
this is back when they were MAKING the characters

so everything you know of them is because of these

Actaully it not. Bruenor and drizzt were created by the author. They were not around prior to his book.

starlock
nice what what are the titles of the books so I can look them up?

also do you know any good forgotten realm books with a dwarf fighter as the main character or supporting character?

I believe the cadderly books-The Cleric Quintet? where cadderly is a priest who sings...there were two dwarfs(might be brothers) in that series that were cool, they did some crazy stuff

Its not forgotten realms but.....
Dark sun novels(i will try and remember which series) have mul's half human and half dwarf characters-they are awesome...and i think there were dwarfs also...very good books

Just off the top of my head, will look thru my collection when i get a chance

Battlehammer
thank you

Juntai
Originally posted by starlock
I believe the cadderly books-The Cleric Quintet? where cadderly is a priest who sings...there were two dwarfs(might be brothers) in that series that were cool, they did some crazy stuff

Its not forgotten realms but.....
Dark sun novels(i will try and remember which series) have mul's half human and half dwarf characters-they are awesome...and i think there were dwarfs also...very good books

Just off the top of my head, will look thru my collection when i get a chance Ivan and Pikel, the Bouldershoulder brothers.

The Clerics Quintet was badass.

Battlehammer
Originally posted by Juntai
Ivan and Pikel, the Bouldershoulder brothers.

oh lol pikel and ivan there mad funny.

to bad pikel loses his arm.

Gecko4lif
Actaully it not. Bruenor and drizzt were created by the author. They were not around prior to his book.
Im talking about grand master kane mad

starlock
Originally posted by Juntai
Ivan and Pikel, the Bouldershoulder brothers.

thumb up

Yeah its been a long time since i visited those books

Battlehammer
Im talking about grand master kane mad
lol oh.

how you like the Orc King?

every body?

emporerpants
it rocked. best book salvatore has done in a good lone while.

Juntai
Demon Wars is still probably his best work, because he didn't have to adhere to the cookie-cutter format of the D&D novels. He really got to flex his vocabulary and storytelling to a different level.

Battlehammer
it rocked. best book salvatore has done in a good lone while.

Hell ya it did.

Gecko4lif
lol oh.

every body?

good shit

Symbiotic

That's completely ridiculous, it's liking using the Marvel handbook instead of the comics. If you read the books, you would know that Drizzt is more skilled than Entreri, and has beaten him fairly and squarely at least twice. Once, when Jarlaxle rescued Entreri, and again when Kimmuriel Oblodra gave him psionic powers.

It was a good book, but there was one thing I didn't really get.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Frost Giants are stronger than Ogres, which in turn are stronger than Orcs. How could a mixed Orc/Ogre pose any threat at all to a god-blessed Orc strong enough to humiliate the Frost Giant queen with ease? Or is there something I missed?

Symbiotic
Quick question, anyone: I read the two Entreri books, but I am completely blank when it comes to Grandmaster Kane. Can anyone refresh my memory?

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Symbiotic
That's completely ridiculous, it's liking using the Marvel handbook instead of the comics. If you read the books, you would know that Drizzt is more skilled than Entreri, and has beaten him fairly and squarely at least twice. Once, when Jarlaxle rescued Entreri, and again when Kimmuriel Oblodra gave him psionic powers.

One must also remember that Salvatore gave us the semi-copout of Entreri being older for a human than Drizzt is for a Dark Elf. I can't vouch for the second time, as it may have been after some of Entreri's power-ups.

I think quantifying the powers of such narrative characters to an exact degree is a bit risky. I dislike it in practice, though they are almost forced to since they're in a D&D universe. Athrogate was written as Entreri's equal, and we never actually saw a prolonged confrontation, for example. I prefer to leave it at that. Though some require more definitive means of categorization.

Symbiotic
One must also remember that Salvatore gave us the semi-copout of Entreri being older for a human than Drizzt is for a Dark Elf. I can't vouch for the second time, as it may have been after some of Entreri's power-ups.

I think quantifying the powers of such narrative characters to an exact degree is a bit risky. I dislike it in practice, though they are almost forced to since they're in a D&D universe. Athrogate was written as Entreri's equal, and we never actually saw a prolonged confrontation, for example. I prefer to leave it at that. Though some require more definitive means of categorization.

I'm fairly certain the second time was after the shade incident, Salvatore's way of putting Entreri in his prime agian, but I'd have to check to be sure.

DigiMark007
I'm fairly certain the second time was after the shade incident, Salvatore's way of putting Entreri in his prime agian, but I'd have to check to be sure.

Mind you, I'm not questioning that Drizzt is slightly > Entreri, regardless of what the D&D handbooks may say. Hell, put him in a forum fight and Drizzt would have Guen along as part of his standard equipment, which makes it kinda lopsided. Any neutral setting should produce the same result. Comparing magical trinkets between them is likely a wash if we ignore Guen, but I always suspect we were supposed to see Drizzt as better than him anyway.

srankmissingnin

Not really. The Forgotten Realms novels are exist for the sole purposes of enriching the lore of the Forgotten Realm campaign universe. All the writers working on books inside D&D's Forgotten Realm, Dragonlance and Ebberon all work with inside the parameters side out by the guidebooks for the table top rpg. Marvel's handbooks are companion pieces to the comics where as the Forgotten Realm novels are companion pieces to the campaign books, it's a case of role reversal. And the campaign books are incredibly detailed and accurate and the others of the books work toothier much more intimately to retain coherence and accuracy. I mean Artemis was almost killed off when D&D removed the Assassin class from the rpg. Salvatore was told to kill Artemis off to match the guidebooks, until he convinced the higher-ups that Artemis was a fighter/thief and not an assassin.

Anyway Drizzt has only managed to edge out wins on Artemis because of luck and plot devices. Battlefields where Drizzt had the edge and Artemis being middle aged and slowing down. Most importantly Drizzt won because he was the hero and Wizards of the Coast wouldn't let him get kill him off, which was Salvatore's original intention and the reason Artemis was created. They haven't fought since Artemis got the Charron's Claw or since he was deaged and rejuvenated by absorbing the life force of a Shade.

DigiMark007
Didn't know Artemis almost got killed off. Cool info srank.

Personally, I'd still give an edge to Drizzt, though the handbooks might disagree (and I realize they're more of an authority than Marvel handbooks). His enchanted leg bracers are the clincher for me, though it's clearly not a 10/10 scenario. Charron's Claw and the jeweled dagger < the ice sword, Cutter(??), and the bracers. And globes of darkness (which he'd have in a neutral setting), which both can fight in but likely favor Drizzt.

srankmissingnin
Keep in mind that Charron's claw can create a wall of solid ash and a single nic can kill the enemy. It is a much more powerful weapon than anything Drizzt is packing being a Netherese artifact. And with all the character development in the last novel I think Artemis is over all the CIS that was holding him back in previous fights with Drizzt.

I was realy hoping we'd get to see Artemis get some Shade abilites ala Erevis Cale... but I guess I have to wait for this current Drizzt series to be over before there is even a chance of that. sad

Battlehammer
screw the hand books there compeltely inaccurate which I ahve already explain in this thread. They are not evdiences nor do they prove anything. There utter rubish and are completely inaccurate

example bruenor bio is completely wrong............on spo many levels.............he does not even have a shield in the hand books.........ect.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.