Zilla/GINO/Godzilla(1998) Sequel/Remake Petition

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Prophecy
If you are interested in having a remake or a sequel of the Godzilla(1998) please put down your name or email me a [email protected].

I'll start:
1.Jermaine Dickerson

Ultimate Hulk43
Alright, I've emailed you, I'm in.

sideskroll
I just found this... Hope you did better with your email...
I would DEFINATELY love to see a sequel... Or even a remake (Although I'd prefer a sequel) But by the same people who worked on the first one.. I really think it was a great popcorn flick.

2.- Nicholas Demos

Toku King
No. Nonononononononononononono.

I don't understand you, Preus. I just don't. If you're going to remake anything, it should be "Gojira", not a God awful, chopped up guessing game of something similar to it.

sideskroll
Maybe, MAYBE its because we like the American Godzilla, not the japanese one. I for one enjoyed the old movies as a kid but I just can't get into all that rubber suit suitmation thingy anymore... It's just too japanese.
On the other hand I honestly believe that the reason this movie got so many bad reviews and whatnot was because fanboys just wanted the same thing that they liked from the old movies,: bad dubbing, cheesy plots, bad actors and lousy FX. Even though this movie (G98) is cheesy as ****, it has a better plot (doesn't matter what some people say, the plot, while cheesy, was way better than the old ones, specially the God Forsaken Showa era with those awful rubber suits fighting over lego cities)
I enjoyed it. The majority of my friends did too. And seeing how well the movie did financially speaking (It DID make over 350 mil) I don't see any reason whatsoever to not have a sequel just because a bunch of people that are fans of the old movies (and they have their right to be) just SCREAM louder than the average movie goer (myself included) that just stays mute while people destroy a movie that they actually loved. Or at least enjoyed very much.
Everything said here is just MHO.

Nick.

Toku King
Originally posted by sideskroll
Maybe, MAYBE its because we like the American Godzilla, not the japanese one. I for one enjoyed the old movies as a kid but I just can't get into all that rubber suit suitmation thingy anymore... It's just too japanese.
On the other hand I honestly believe that the reason this movie got so many bad reviews and whatnot was because fanboys just wanted the same thing that they liked from the old movies,: bad dubbing, cheesy plots, bad actors and lousy FX. Even though this movie (G98) is cheesy as ****, it has a better plot (doesn't matter what some people say, the plot, while cheesy, was way better than the old ones, specially the God Forsaken Showa era with those awful rubber suits fighting over lego cities)
I enjoyed it. The majority of my friends did too. And seeing how well the movie did financially speaking (It DID make over 350 mil) I don't see any reason whatsoever to not have a sequel just because a bunch of people that are fans of the old movies (and they have their right to be) just SCREAM louder than the average movie goer (myself included) that just stays mute while people destroy a movie that they actually loved. Or at least enjoyed very much.
Everything said here is just MHO.

Nick.

This is what scares me about the new generation. Many of us don't seem to understand the underlying message of things. The original "Gojira" was not about rubber suit monsters(though they used one) and super duper monster action. It was about our civilization's constant need to screw itself over time and time again, and how World War II was a fine example of mankind being the real monsters, with Godzilla merely acting as a personification of it.
USA's "Godzilla" was awful because the directors, writers, and actors had no idea of what Godzilla is truly about. The original idea was that the 1998 movie was to remake "Gojira", in which case it freakishly failed. And even if trying to remake the camp and fun of the 60s/70s, it still failed to provide the main star: Godzilla.

Either way, it failed, and because it failed, I really don't wish to see another screw up.

sideskroll
Originally posted by Toku King
This is what scares me about the new generation. Many of us don't seem to understand the underlying message of things. The original "Gojira" was not about rubber suit monsters(though they used one) and super duper monster action. It was about our civilization's constant need to screw itself over time and time again, and how World War II was a fine example of mankind being the real monsters, with Godzilla merely acting as a personification of it.
USA's "Godzilla" was awful because the directors, writers, and actors had no idea of what Godzilla is truly about. The original idea was that the 1998 movie was to remake "Gojira", in which case it freakishly failed. And even if trying to remake the camp and fun of the 60s/70s, it still failed to provide the main star: Godzilla.

Either way, it failed, and because it failed, I really don't wish to see another screw up.

Frankly I don't know how old are you, but I'm guessing that you're around your 30s.. As I am, so basically we are the same generation.
I understand completely the meaning of the original Gojira, and CLOVERFIELD tried to achieve that but based on the 9/11 events. I didn't liked that movie either.
What I like about G98 is that its just a campy-popcorn-event movie. That although it retains a lot of smilarities wih the first Gojira (only on different scenarios because face it, today there would be no reason for making a movie about the horrors of WWII) its still a REINVENTION, not a remake. And thats what a lot of people can't understand.
On the other hand I really enjoyed all the guerilla marketing campaign and the way they build up the movie as they did. Although it failed to match the expectations the whole campaign made the movie memorable.
BTW, I'm not saying that I don't like the old movies. They're fun. But Japan has another cinematic style. And if I'm going to watch monsters stomping on things and whatnot I'd much rather see the hollywood version of it.

Toku King
Frankly I don't know how old are you, but I'm guessing that you're around your 30s.. As I am, so basically we are the same generation.

I'm flattered, but I'm 16.

sideskroll
I'm flattered, but I'm 16.
Flattered??? oookkk...
Ok, so if you're 16 years you can't really have an opinion about a movie 10 years old. You were 6 and obviously can't remember anything. You haven't seen any of the older movies in their original release dates so basically you've become a late fan.

Toku King
Flattered??? oookkk...

Acting beyond your age is normally a compliment.

What kind of bullshit statement is that? Does that mean that I can't rent it or watch it on TV and give my opinion? So my opinion of films like "Godfather" don't count?
Seriously, what kind of logic is that?

Actually, I watched it again a few weeks ago, and it was as bad as ever.

But my God, that's awful logic. Really, that makes no sense.

sideskroll
Acting beyond your age is normally a compliment.

I don't know if you're acting beyond your age or not. What I meant was that I just assume that you were almost my age because you talk about this movie as if you were a fan of the old ones (kids these days tend to like other kind of cheesy stuff, not Godzilla...)

What kind of bullshit statement is that? Does that mean that I can't rent it or watch it on TV and give my opinion? So my opinion of films like "Godfather" don't count?
Seriously, what kind of logic is that?

Ok, you misunderstood the whole point. The thing is that you were not there when the marketing campaign started, you were not a part of the "event" so to speak. So obviously, without an important part of the whole experience you feel nothing for the film.
Its just like CLOVERFIELD. 99% of the whole movie was the previous viral marketing. I for one followed its entire run. And the movie came out as bad as it could get. BUT it would've being even worse without the whole viral campaign.

Actually, I watched it again a few weeks ago, and it was as bad as ever.

But my God, that's awful logic. Really, that makes no sense.

If you don't like it then its fine. I have no intentions of changing your mind about it. Just understand that there are people who enjoyed the film and would like to see a sequel for it. You can understand things, can you?
I bet you would've liked the movie if it had a different title/monster. Thats how you critic a movie. For its content alone. It was a very entertaining popcorn flick.

Toku King
I don't know if you're acting beyond your age or not. What I meant was that I just assume that you were almost my age because you talk about this movie as if you were a fan of the old ones (kids these days tend to like other kind of cheesy stuff, not Godzilla...)

I have always been a Godzilla lover, ever since the age of 4. I would always watch the old 60s and 70s Godzilla and Gamera movies. I was incredibly excited for the Tristar film. So it was a major disappointment when I left the theater and realized how shitty it was.

Since when does that prove quality?

I loved the movie a ton. I think that it's one of the best films this year. Not because of the marketing. Not because of the age. It's because I thought it was engaging, exciting, and frightening.

I never said that there weren't. You missed my whole point. My point is that why would you remake a movie many hated more than the amount that liked it, when you can remake a universal classic?

Emil Blonsky
As a Godzilla movie, it was bad, but as a giant monster movie, it was pretty good. I still think Tristar's Zilla has the best Godzilla design yet. All he truly lacked were the powers. Plus, as cool as it was, he shouldn't have reproduced at all. One major thing that kind of turns me off at times of the movie is some of the cast members. Jean Reno & Hank Azaria were cool, but everyone else was pretty annoying.

Toku King
Originally posted by Emil Blonsky
As a Godzilla movie, it was bad, but as a giant monster movie, it was pretty good.

It would be ok(not good, but ok) if it was a standalone called "Monster" or something, but it's supposed to be a Godzilla movie, and for that it fails completely.

Emil Blonsky
Meh, I still like the design out of just about every Japanese Godzilla design.

Toku King
Meh, I still like the design out of just about every Japanese Godzilla design.

Radioactive Dinosaur>>>>>Mutated Iguana

Emil Blonsky
As I said, I prefer the design. You don't? That's your opinion.

Toku King
As I said, I prefer the design. You don't? That's your opinion.

And my opinion is that you have a bad opinion.

Emil Blonsky
Jesus, shut the **** up you *******.

sideskroll
Jesus, shut the **** up you *******.

My thoughts exactly. I mean if you don't like it then its fine. Just don't be an ass about it...

Emil Blonsky
Right, he's basically trying to say his opinion is above everyone who likes the Zilla design, which is the stupidest thing anyone can say.

But what can I say...he's a troll.

Da Joker
I would still like a 1998 movie remake. I still love that movie although it wasn't really Godzilla. It was still good as a giant monster movie. I say remake it, make Zilla more of a threat, take out him reproducing, and all will be well.

First_Tsurugi06
Was the cartooon not good enough? Most people actually found that to be more favorable than the film.

Davis Bloome
It definitely was. As many, many people have said before, the film works as a giant monster movie, but as a Godzilla movie it's completely unfaithful. The TV series really got back to the basics and made Godzilla what he should've been all along. I'm totally fine with changing the design of Godzilla, but one thing he should never be is a lizard that happens to be 300 feet tall that is scared of humans and ultimately gets killed by humans rather than fighting another monster that is threatening the world.

I pray that one day when/if Americans get the rights to Godzilla again we get a completely serious and 100% faithful adaptation....just without the dancing, kung-fu, and have Godzilla be CGI instead of a man in a suit.

jason34fh
Originally posted by BloodRawEngine
Was the cartooon not good enough? Most people actually found that to be more favorable than the film. To me it wasn't it was a load of dinoshit in my eyes.

jason34fh
I thought the cartoon was total bullshit i just hated more then the movie itself.

jason34fh
Originally posted by Mr. Rhythmic
I have always been a Godzilla lover, ever since the age of 4. I would always watch the old 60s and 70s Godzilla and Gamera movies. I was incredibly excited for the Tristar film. So it was a major disappointment when I left the theater and realized how shitty it was.

Since when does that prove quality?

I loved the movie a ton. I think that it's one of the best films this year. Not because of the marketing. Not because of the age. It's because I thought it was engaging, exciting, and frightening.

I never said that there weren't. You missed my whole point. My point is that why would you remake a movie many hated more than the amount that liked it, when you can remake a universal classic? if you remake a classic it always ends up bad.

jason34fh
Originally posted by Mr. Rhythmic
And my opinion is that you have a bad opinion.
shut the **** you stupide ****ing docterian spongbobalcking ****ing shithead meatwad.

BloodRain
A lowbrow insult at a 4 year old post. Score.

Serpantgirl11
I LOVED the 1998 Godzilla film and I would so love to see what the sequel would be like!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.