Dental Crowns

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Shakyamunison

botankus
Shaky, I have both gold and porcelain crowns, and I can't tell the difference.

I can tell you this. I've had 4 root canals and 5 crowns (the last one didn't need a root canal as there wasn't a chance of nerve damage). And contrary to popular opinions, root canals are a basket full of puppies compared to crowns. Crown require grinding the tooth until it fits an acceptable shape to where they can place a molding to get an imprint. Of course you'll be numb (at least I hope you will be). You'll leave with a temporary crown and told to come back in 3 weeks to get the permanent crown (it's made outside the dentist's office).

That doesn't sound too bad so far, but here's the sucky part. I've never had a temporary stay in for 3 weeks. It always falls out at the worst time. It could fall out while you're eating, at a party, sleeping (gulp!), or while you're chewing gum. And it falls out when the dentist's office isn't open, of course. I've had 2 fall out on Friday night. Sometimes you can push the temporary back in and it will stay, but often you have to put it in a baggie. And don't swallow it or else you'll need to surf the toilets with a colander. Point is, when the temporary's off, your tooth hurts like hell when you drink ANYTHING except for warm salt water. Yum.

Then, when they FINALLY put the permanent one in, they usually don't numb you, and it never fits until about 20 tries. it's about an hour of pure torture (again, making root canals seem like picnics), and I've even had those fall out a few days later. Hope your dentist is better than mine, and hope this helps.

Bicnarok

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by botankus

I can tell you this. I've had 4 root canals and 5 crowns (the last one didn't need a root canal as there wasn't a chance of nerve damage). And contrary to popular opinions, root canals are a basket full of puppies compared to crowns. Crown require grinding the tooth until it fits an acceptable shape to where they can place a molding to get an imprint. Of course you'll be numb (at least I hope you will be). You'll leave with a temporary crown and told to come back in 3 weeks to get the permanent crown (it's made outside the dentist's office).

That doesn't sound too bad so far, but here's the sucky part. I've never had a temporary stay in for 3 weeks. It always falls out at the worst time. It could fall out while you're eating, at a party, sleeping (gulp!), or while you're chewing gum. And it falls out when the dentist's office isn't open, of course. I've had 2 fall out on Friday night. Sometimes you can push the temporary back in and it will stay, but often you have to put it in a baggie. And don't swallow it or else you'll need to surf the toilets with a colander. Point is, when the temporary's off, your tooth hurts like hell when you drink ANYTHING except for warm salt water. Yum.

Then, when they FINALLY put the permanent one in, they usually don't numb you, and it never fits until about 20 tries. it's about an hour of pure torture (again, making root canals seem like picnics), and I've even had those fall out a few days later. Hope your dentist is better than mine, and hope this helps.

runforhills

I have a good dentist.karte_02

dadudemon

I can tell you this. I've had 4 root canals and 5 crowns (the last one didn't need a root canal as there wasn't a chance of nerve damage).

Holy crap, dude. Either you never take care of your teeth or you have really crappy dental genetics.

Screw ALL of those Crowns and root canal ideas...get implants...they are much much better in the long run AND, you don't have to wear braces...I worked in dental insurance...trust me.

botankus
Originally posted by dadudemon
Holy crap, dude. Either you never take care of your teeth or you have really crappy dental genetics.

Screw ALL of those Crowns and root canal ideas...get implants...they are much much better in the long run AND, you don't have to wear braces...I worked in dental insurance...trust me.

I guess all the beer, sodas, and bad brushing really did amount to something, just like Mom and Dad said it would. However, now I floss, rinse, only drink 1 soda a day (down from 4), and drink a lot less beer.

And it's wasn't the beer itself that led to dental problems. Whenever you're blitzed and looking to pass out on the nearest floor space, brushing your teeth somehow slips your mind.

Zebedee

FeceMan
Declaration: In Shakyamunison's case, a gold crown is superior to a porcelain crown.

Statement: Although FeceMan would choose a porcelain crown for cosmetic reasons, the molars are less visible and therefore less of an issue for aesthetics. However, gold crowns are more durable and do not chip and so they last long, and gold is more pliable than porcelain so the fit is better.

Addendum: Gold crowns also do not cause excessive wearing on the teeth with which they come into contact.

Suggestion: Depending on the visibility of the tooth, Shakyamunison should opt for a gold crown with a porcelain veneer fitted over it.

Statement: To avoid a situation like Botankus's, Shakyamunison could either request a root canal on the tooth--something that FeceMan might suggest because of the inevitable wearing of the crown that will cause much pain in later years--or demand that anesthetic be used during the procedure.

Statement: The dentist may not want to use anesthetic in order to ensure a near-perfect fit on the tooth. Shakyamunison might be able to request sedation for this procedure, however.

Statement: FeceMan realizes how expensive root canals are, but it may be worth it. Root canals do not have a dramatic impact on the longevity of a tooth, though they tend to become more brittle, which is why the crown is put in place.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by FeceMan
Declaration: In Shakyamunison's case, a gold crown is superior to a porcelain crown.

Statement: Although FeceMan would choose a porcelain crown for cosmetic reasons, the molars are less visible and therefore less of an issue for aesthetics. However, gold crowns are more durable and do not chip and so they last long, and gold is more pliable than porcelain so the fit is better.

Addendum: Gold crowns also do not cause excessive wearing on the teeth with which they come into contact.

Suggestion: Depending on the visibility of the tooth, Shakyamunison should opt for a gold crown with a porcelain veneer fitted over it.

Thanks. That is the type of information I was looking for. big grin

You could say that FeceMan gave me the straight poop. laughing

Robtard

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Robtard
Robtard's father-in-law is in the dental field and has 30+ years of knowledge about crowns, implants, dentures etc. Robtard will ask his father inlaw concerning the pros and cons of porcelain vs. gold.

Shakyamunison will thank Robtard in advance. laughing

Quiero Mota
Whenever you're blitzed and looking to pass out on the nearest floor space, brushing your teeth somehow slips your mind.

And the subsequent vomit doesn't help either.

KidRock
I just got my wisdom teeth taken out. It wasnt half as bad as I thought it would be. I am a little sore today but painkillers rule.

Quiero Mota
Oxycodene?

Robtard
Originally posted by KidRock
I just got my wisdom teeth taken out. It wasnt half as bad as I thought it would be. I am a little sore today but painkillers rule.

Rinse throughly after you eat and watch what you eat... one tiny food particle in one of the opening and you'll be in infection-hell. Happened to me in my lower left when I had them pulled.

KidRock
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Oxycodene?

No, I wish. but I hear that stuff is as addicting as heroin.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by KidRock
No, I wish. but I hear that stuff is as addicting as heroin.

It is. It feels similiar to weed too, but you need a proscription to get it.

FeceMan
Rinse throughly after you eat and watch what you eat... one tiny food particle in one of the opening and you'll be in infection-hell. Happened to me in my lower left when I had them pulled.
Addendum: Rinse with saltwater.

Observation: It has an unpleasant taste, but it is necessary. FeceMan took the precautions his dentist advised and recovered without complications.

Quiero Mota
Good for Feceman.

Kinneary
Gold. Stronger, and less likely to fall off or crack. It will also last longer than a porcelain crown will. As for the temporary they're going to give you, it shouldn't fall off. Most of the temp crowns we make here don't have that problem, but if you do, it's a quick fix. All they have to do is just re-cement it in, takes about five minutes.

debbiejo

Kinneary
Pure gold is weak, debbie. The gold we use in crowns is pretty strong.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Kinneary
Pure gold is weak, debbie. The gold we use in crowns is pretty strong.

I wouldn't take the word of a 14 year old kid anyway. wink laughing

debbiejo
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
I wouldn't take the word of a 14 year old kid anyway. wink laughing Take the porcelain........Take it, you're teeth will stay white...... big grin

Oh, and start brushing more......lol smart

Kinneary
His teeth may stay white, but it's also more susceptible to breaking and needing to be replaced, and the life expectancy is also much shorter. Getting porcelain could cause more dental visits, which could result in higher dental insurance. Unless you consider it absolutely imperative that a tooth that will rarely, if ever, be seen is white, go with gold. It'll save you time and money.

ADarksideJedi
Sorry to hear that.I had the same thing a while back.I would pick the normal color of teeth.If yo do get the gold it is not only bad for you.But it does make one look like a pimp.Hope it turns out ok for you.jm

Robtard
Yea Jackie, showing more flesh in the avatar... *rubs nipple*

debbiejo
His teeth may stay white, but it's also more susceptible to breaking and needing to be replaced, and the life expectancy is also much shorter. Getting porcelain could cause more dental visits, which could result in higher dental insurance. Unless you consider it absolutely imperative that a tooth that will rarely, if ever, be seen is white, go with gold. It'll save you time and money. I've read the same. If had a choice, but only with a cavity, I'd pick porcelain, not gold. For more deeper work I may pick gold, but then that is in the back of your mouth where it couldn't really show.........

Kinneary
I agree. For something simple like a cavity, I pick composite (it's not porcelain) since their life is decent and they're relatively cheap. But if I needed a posterior crown, I'd definitely go for gold.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by dadudemon

Now that you mention, I unfortunately have a crappy dental genetics. And its connected with my hair and nails - which are also incredibly weak.

I have to take care of my teeth twice as hard, and they break very easily.

Alfheim
Can you get silver crowns?

Kinneary
No. The amalgam (what a silver filling is made of) is made to grip existing tooth structure. It holds on to that structure, but cannot function without it. So, if someone needs an extraction, you can't fill the gums with amalgam and then shape a tooth.

Alfheim
No. The amalgam (what a silver filling is made of) is made to grip existing tooth structure. It holds on to that structure, but cannot function without it. So, if someone needs an extraction, you can't fill the gums with amalgam and then shape a tooth.

Ok so you mean to say either you have to have procelein or gold?? So its either pimp or weaker porcelein?

Kinneary
Pretty much. I mean, don't sell yourself short on either. For a front tooth, I'd definitely pick porcelain. But when cosmetics aren't involved, always go for the strongest material.

Alfheim
Well hoping I wont need it but just finding out just in case.

Robtard
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Now that you mention, I unfortunately have a crappy dental genetics. And its connected with my hair and nails - which are also incredibly weak.

I have to take care of my teeth twice as hard, and they break very easily.

That doesn't affect your bones in some manor does it? If so, you could be Bruce Willis's arch nemesis.

Goddess Kali
Root Canals are a breeze.

The crown is a pain in the ass, cuz they had to take the mold a dozen times, and they file your tooth down. They have to make sure the crown fits your bite.

Robtard
Shakyamunison will thank Robtard in advance. laughing

Advice from a professional:

The determining factors would be which tooth it is and aesthetics......Gold (high yellow noble) is always the best because of bio-compatibility and hardness is like natural dentition. Porcelain is harder than natural dentition and can wear the opposing tooth down unless the occlusal surface is gold. Other new materials like Zirconia, have proven to be very good. The best crown which we know lasts 30+ years if done correctly, is Porcelain Fused to Gold (High Noble Yellow).

Oddly, it's very similar to what Feceman said...

Could Feceman be Robtard's father inlaw?

Shakyamunison
I just got back from the first appointment, and it has went well. I am going to go with gold. Thanks much to all the help. big grin

botankus
First appointment, eh? So that means they've sent out the molding and you've got a temporary?

Shakyamunison
First appointment, eh? So that means they've sent out the molding and you've got a temporary?

Just the prep and temporary. My dentist is braking into 3 appointments. The reason is that the broken tooth might need a root cannel, so I have to wait to see if I have pain. sad

BlaxicanHydra
This wouldn't be happening to you if you believed in God 313

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by BlaxicanHydra
This wouldn't be happening to you if you believed in God 313

roll eyes (sarcastic) Do you really believe that?

BlaxicanHydra
roll eyes (sarcastic) You're a fool if you think I do.

Shakyamunison
roll eyes (sarcastic) You're a fool if you think I do.

I don't know you, and there are people on this forum who would believe that.

BlaxicanHydra
That's what the "313" was for. Too show that I was joking.

Shakyamunison
That's what the "313" was for. Too show that I was joking.

Oh! I see...

BlaxicanHydra
You don't visit the OTF very often do you?

kevdude
I wasn't going to comment but I have too LOL. Butankus what made u pick that signature?? laughing

Shakyamunison

No, not often. I stay mostly in the RF.

BlaxicanHydra
Understandable..

Actually, not really. The RF is almost as bad as the OTF.

botankus

That's like asking if you hang out in a landfill.

debbiejo
It's because it's Friday and you're looking forward to the weekend??? confused All that hot loven and stuff?? stick out tongue

botankus
Originally posted by debbiejo
It's because it's Friday and you're looking forward to the weekend??? confused All that hot loven and stuff?? stick out tongue

Now I'm confused. Did you mean to post this in another thead? I don't think dental crowns and hot lovin' should be in the same train of thought.

Shakyamunison
Now I'm confused. Did you mean to post this in another thead? I don't think dental crowns and hot lovin' should be in the same train of thought. laughing If it was someone else and not Deb, it would not make any sense. laughing out loud

botankus
True, very true.

debbiejo
He asked about your sig....Ummm right??

Where am I......confused

botankus
No, he asked Butankus about his sig. Don't know who that is.

Shakyamunison
No, he asked Butankus about his sig. Don't know who that is.

laughing

kevdude
Ha BOTankus what about your sig? you like animals ?? big grin

Shakyamunison
I got the mold done today. I will get the gold crown on the 24th.

debbiejo
Pimp!!

pimp

Shakyamunison
Three more today. Two gold and one porcelain.

botankus
Got a crown two weeks ago. Turns out I had to practically OD on Advil for 12 straight days to numb the pain, so that meant it wasn't simply sore. So I went back on Monday and they were like "Surprise! Root canal time!"

Shakyamunison
Got a crown two weeks ago. Turns out I had to practically OD on Advil for 12 straight days to numb the pain, so that meant it wasn't simply sore. So I went back on Monday and they were like "Surprise! Root canal time!"

Ya, I had root canals on two of the teeth a few months ago, and the third one was an old root canal.

Sorry about the pain. sad

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Three more today. Two gold and one porcelain.
Wow, you must have really needed that work.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Zeal Ex Nihilo
Wow, you must have really needed that work.

Ya, my teeth are falling apart. It's genes; both my parents had false teeth by 40. My wife has teeth of iron; she never even gets a cavity.

botankus
Shaky, that bling should help get you more tips at your next performance.

Shakyamunison
Shaky, that bling should help get you more tips at your next performance.

Cool, I'll get tips. Happy Dance

Robtard
Ya, my teeth are falling apart. It's genes; both my parents had false teeth by 40. My wife has teeth of iron; she never even gets a cavity.

Noble Truth #1: "Life Means Suffering"

Only three to go!

Shakyamunison
Noble Truth #1: "Life Means Suffering"

Only three to go!

So true.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Just have 'em yanked and replaced with implants.

Lamb Of God
God I hate going to the dentist, its like getting ready to open a FOTN thread. You know its going to suck ass.

ragesRemorse
dental work is so expensive. Im just getting dentures

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
dental work is so expensive. Im just getting dentures

Implants are better.

Quark_666
Originally posted by Lamb Of God
God I hate going to the dentist, its like getting ready to open a FOTN thread. You know its going to suck ass. Wuss.
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
dental work is so expensive. Im just getting dentures I'd be happy to do your dental work for you. stick out tongue

dadudemon
Implants are better.

QFT.

I was talking to a coworker yesterday about this. Before he worked in IT, he was a seller for impants. (Very unique niche, imo.) He talked with dentists about this stuff a lot. He said that if people would just shell out the money, it will save them a lot of money in the long run. They seem to last decades and if properly put in with no problems, they can last the rest of your life. (Note: the original patient that got his in 1965 still has his.)

I was actually thinking about getting implants............if I can afford it. (nothing wrong with me teeth.)

Schecter
i would only get an implant if it was down to that or a bridge.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Quark_666

I'd be happy to do your dental work for you. stick out tongue

eek! GREAT!!

But..,we will have to use your pliers. Mine are rusty sad

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Implants are better.
Also more expensive.

Deja~vu
I would also get implants. I am so glad I was blessed with good strong teeth. Dentists ask me if I ever had braces. I say nope. It's just the genes.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Deja~vu
I would also get implants. I am so glad I was blessed with good strong teeth. Dentists ask me if I ever had braces. I say nope. It's just the genes.

The "dentists" and dental hygienists have told/asked me the same thing. However, this ivory will not last forever and that is why I am considering implants.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.